PDA

View Full Version : Denmark Bans Halal and Kosher slaughter due to animal cruelty

KirstyJay
07-05-2014, 23:06
An interesting story. Personally, I am not a huge animal lover. I have 2 cats, but they are more my daughter's cats than mine. I don't really stroke them or feed them etc, other members of my family do, however, regardless, I would be destroyed to see an animal suffer, and although I am not an 'animal person' I agree with this ruling. Animals should not suffer for the part of religious slaughter.

As for the anti-semitism complaints, or maybe the anti-muslim ones that may ensue... if you look into history you will see that these religious slaughter rituals started out as a way of teaching people 100s of years ago how to preserve meat and how to make sure that they would not become ill from eating meat that had been over exposed to the elements or which had got infected. I don't think it should ever have been maintained as a 'sacred' way of slaughter in order to promote pain on living creatures for no necessary reason.

So, with that in mind, I think any cries of religious bigotry are incorrect in this instance. Maybe cries of inhumane treatment of living creatures would be more appropriate and we should think more about the treatment of humans in the holocaust and compare our treatment of animals for halal and kosher slaughter to that.

Just my humble opinion and people are allowed to disagree :)

Full story : http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/denmark-bans-halal-and-kosher-slaughter-as-minister-says-animal-rights-come-before-religion-9135580.html

timmylish
08-05-2014, 03:01
An interesting story. Personally, I am not a huge animal lover. I have 2 cats, but they are more my daughter's cats than mine. I don't really stroke them or feed them etc, other members of my family do, however, regardless, I would be destroyed to see an animal suffer, and although I am not an 'animal person' I agree with this ruling. Animals should not suffer for the part of religious slaughter.

As for the anti-semitism complaints, or maybe the anti-muslim ones that may ensue... if you look into history you will see that these religious slaughter rituals started out as a way of teaching people 100s of years ago how to preserve meat and how to make sure that they would not become ill from eating meat that had been over exposed to the elements or which had got infected. I don't think it should ever have been maintained as a 'sacred' way of slaughter in order to promote pain on living creatures for no necessary reason.

So, with that in mind, I think any cries of religious bigotry are incorrect in this instance. Maybe cries of inhumane treatment of living creatures would be more appropriate and we should think more about the treatment of humans in the holocaust and compare our treatment of animals for halal and kosher slaughter to that.

Just my humble opinion and people are allowed to disagree :)

Full story : http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/denmark-bans-halal-and-kosher-slaughter-as-minister-says-animal-rights-come-before-religion-9135580.html

Kirsty
I thought that your comments were extremely well thought out and bang on the money, especially with you not being an animal lover.

KirstyJay
08-05-2014, 09:25
Kirsty
I thought that your comments were extremely well thought out and bang on the money, especially with you not being an animal lover.

Our pets are the kid's pets, not mine. However, it would still upset me to see an animal suffering. One of our cats died a few years ago, which I did post about at the time, as I got very upset and angry because it could have been avoided if it wasn't for vet negligence. We use another vet now.

I could give or take having pets, but the kids love them and that's what's important. They are never neglected though. :)

junglejim
08-05-2014, 10:39
Unfortunately Subway is going in opposite direction with supposedly Halal only and no Bacon Butties !

http://muslimvillage.com/2014/05/03/52945/uk-subway-ditches-pork-and-goes-halal-due-to-strong-demand-from-muslims/

primrose
08-05-2014, 12:48
Well done Denmark, lost count of the number of times I have heard the RSPCA condemn it as being cruel to slaughter Animals by slitting their throat and leave them hanging to bleed to death, it is barbaric and all supposedly done in the name of Religion. if it is so cruel why don't the RSPCA grow some balls and Prosecute the Slaughter Houses that use this method of killing.

junglejim
08-05-2014, 14:20
BBC news today - nearly all chicken and NZ lamb is Halal but not labelled !!

YOUNG GOLFER
08-05-2014, 18:48
I was only talking about this yesterday in work and have to say I wont put any links on here but take a look on you-tube on this subject.

The videos are shocking it's a cruel and disgusting way to end a animals life.

To see a animal with it's throat cut left to bleed out is nothing more than barbaric........ and the way they kick them whip them even cutting the backs of their legs so they drop to the floor.

You can't put a animal through all that stress and pain it's not right.

AL JAY
08-05-2014, 18:54
Unfortunately Subway is going in opposite direction with supposedly Halal only and no Bacon Butties !

http://muslimvillage.com/2014/05/03/52945/uk-subway-ditches-pork-and-goes-halal-due-to-strong-demand-from-muslims/

I walked past a Subway outlet today and guess what? After their takings dropped dramatically nationwide they have decided to listen to the 58 million people of the UK and not a handful of Muslims and put the Bacon Sausage and Eggs back on the menu!

Moral of this story ... Stop all this PC garbage and don't bite the hand that feeds you!

timmylish
08-05-2014, 19:21
Although I am a fervent animal lover (dogs in particular) I do appreciate that a large number of people are not. However, as most have stated on here, that should in no way detract from the general feeling of dislike for the abuses still levelled out to animals of all types all over the world in the name of religion. If I were the alien in charge of discipline on the planet Earth I would immediately ban religion in its entirety and in all its various guises. In one swift action animals would be treated with the respect they deserve and it would probably bring an end to this pastime called "war".

Greg
08-05-2014, 19:23
Not a bad move by Denmark. Not only will they be rewarded by the world knowing that they are kind to animals but all the muslims will pack up and leave. Talk about a win win!!

trevorife2
08-05-2014, 19:50
Certain people blow humans up ,So why would they be bothered about animals ???

YOUNG GOLFER
08-05-2014, 22:29
I walked past a Subway outlet today and guess what? After their takings dropped dramatically nationwide they have decided to listen to the 58 million people of the UK and not a handful of Muslims and put the Bacon Sausage and Eggs back on the menu!

Moral of this story ... Stop all this PC garbage and don't bite the hand that feeds you!

Simples serve halal meat but don't take off or replace the other meats people like its all about peoples choice.