PDA

View Full Version : Health Can we register with an English speaking doctor on public health system?

Vivy
10-06-2014, 09:06
Hi,
Does anyone know if there is a way of finding if there is an English speaking doctor you can register with. Or does anyone know of one in the San Isidro/Granadilla area? I want one on the public health system not a private one.

My spanish is very basic. My doctor only speaks Spanish and it can be so difficult at times, especially when you're ill and can't think straight!

I don't mind struggling anywhere else with my Spanish, I appreciate after all that I'm living in Spain, but I've realised it's important to have a doctor you can communicate well with.

Thanks

Ecky Thump
10-06-2014, 09:19
Vivy, if you open up the "Advanced Search" top right of page and type in.....
"English Doctor" or "English Speaking Doctor" you will find there are numerous threads with answers that cover this subject.:wave:

Vivy
13-06-2014, 19:33
Vivy, if you open up the "Advanced Search" top right of page and type in.....
"English Doctor" or "English Speaking Doctor" you will find there are numerous threads with answers that cover this subject.:wave:

I did that before I posted but all the threads I found were regarding private practices. If you read my post I'm asking about doctors on the Spanish national Health System not private doctors.

Tony the Welder
16-09-2014, 09:33
hi vivy I know there is one in el fraile and one in las gallettas but I do not now if you can pick your own doctor or even if the practice as to be in the area you live if you know some one that speaks Spanish I would try the one in el fraile as I know people that have signed on there just lately for the same reasons

Ecky Thump
16-09-2014, 09:46
I did that before I posted but all the threads I found were regarding private practices. If you read my post I'm asking about doctors on the Spanish national Health System not private doctors.

If you need more help than Tony could could offer, then it maybe worth sending a PM to forum member primrose she may be able to offer some more advice, or hopefully she may see this thread....Good luck.

Vivy
16-09-2014, 19:04
Thanks Tony, I do believe you can choose to change your doctor but I'm not sure if you can choose one out of your area.

Thanks Ecky I will send primrose a pm and see if she knows

casabonny
16-09-2014, 21:37
You have to register with a doctor in the area that you reside in.you do not have a choice of doctor you are allocated one and those who speak English do not have to so I suggest you register and take a translator as most surgeries have signs up stating they do not speak English/German/French etc and that you must bring a translator.
I Understand your frustration but after all we are in Spain.

timmylish
17-09-2014, 01:20
Whilst totally respecting the views expressed by Casabonny I have to beg to differ in that when both registering in Cabo Blanco 14 years ago and subsequently here in San Isidro some 3 years ago I was offered a list of the doctors at that practice and given the opportunity to chose one. I should make quite clear, however. An English speaking doctor was not suggested. Spain!

primrose
17-09-2014, 11:48
Whilst totally respecting the views expressed by Casabonny I have to beg to differ in that when both registering in Cabo Blanco 14 years ago and subsequently here in San Isidro some 3 years ago I was offered a list of the doctors at that practice and given the opportunity to chose one. I should make quite clear, however. An English speaking doctor was not suggested. Spain!

You are also given a list of Doctors to choose from when you register at Los Cristianos but the only thing you know about them is whether they are male or female but no more information.

casabonny
17-09-2014, 16:45
In my experience when registering people in Las Galletas and El Fraile no choice is given! The receptionist state who you will be registered with based on vacancies avaiable.It May well differ from surgery to surgery depending on the amount of doctors and patients in the practice, and space avaiable .

primrose
17-09-2014, 17:02
In my experience when registering people in Las Galletas and El Fraile no choice is given! The receptionist state who you will be registered with based on vacancies avaiable.It May well differ from surgery to surgery depending on the amount of doctors and patients in the practice, and space avaiable .

No choice at Las Chafiras either you are allocated a Doctor but they don't seem to stay very long there so you didn't know who you were going to see.When we changed to Los Cristianos we were asked to choose one but it was just a case of pointing to a name,we have never seen the one we chose don't know if she is off sick or on holiday or left, luckily the one that has replaced her is really nice, doesn't speak English but we always take an Interpreter so not a problem.

Ecky Thump
17-09-2014, 17:23
doesn'r speak English but we always take an Interpreter so not a problem.

On a light hearted note........
........."..it's very much the same at the Dr's in parts of the UK....you need a interpreter!:wink:

kingbaker
17-09-2014, 18:06
Not after Thursday!!:p:p

timmylish
18-09-2014, 02:37
Not after Thursday!!:p:p

Why, what happens then (well now since its very early Thurs. morning!).