PDA

View Full Version : Home and Garden Should cuttings be started in water or earth?

bobmcgregor
17-06-2014, 16:52
Should cuttins be started in water or earth?

primrose
17-06-2014, 17:14
Should cuttins be started in water or earth?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyQX9kUAohk

peter bermingham
17-06-2014, 20:08
Earth or potting compost , compost will give the cutting a better chance don't do to much messing with the cutting as in touching it where it has being cut. Cover pot with plastic bag and tie with rubber band for a month of so keep compost moist NOT WET when you have a good root structure pot on. But ya that honey sounds like a good idea as its antibacterial. O and what ever you use to take the cutting make sure its spotless. And do a good few in case some fail

bobmcgregor
18-06-2014, 22:13
Thanks for the advice

peter bermingham
19-06-2014, 19:13
Sorry ment to say clear plastic bag

warbey
19-06-2014, 19:28

there are Hormone Rooting Powders available for Cuttings.

I always leave them for a few Hours to partially Heal before dipping into the Powder and Planting

into a mix of Sharp Sand and Soil ideally. The Plastic cover keeps moisture in and warmth also providing Shelter..

There are plenty of Gardening details on the NET. You will spend Years learning the preferred methods for Individual Plants if You wish..?

melm
19-06-2014, 21:46
I save the excessive packaging from meat purchases . The plastic dome shapes are good substitute for plastic bags. One on the bottom and one on the top creates a sort of mini greenhouse.

I am normally quite lucky with cuttings but clematis is proving difficult. Have had some success with the single flower type the but the double flower one ??????????? It hasn't cost me anything so its not a problem and I will keep trying.

canarybird
20-06-2014, 08:35
When I used to grow fuchsias from very small cuttings I used two transparent flan cups in the same way, one on top of the other, held together on one side with a bit of cello tape and making a couple of holes in the bottom with a nail that had been held in a flame on the gas stove, using a damp sand/compost mixture. Needed a very sharp knife to cut the cuttings, then dipped the ends in rooting hormone before placing in the bottom cups, one per cup and keeping them in a well lit place out of direct sunlight.

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Other/Miscellaneous-1/i-KgHKQnJ/0/S/flan%20cups-S.jpg

Some woody cuttings such as dama de noche (cestrum nocturnum) or poinsettia will develop roots and grow here by just pushing 30 - 40 cm long sticks with a diameter at least as thick as a pencil into the ground.

Malteser Monkey
20-06-2014, 16:07
Eso me da hambre mujer...:yum::yum: