PDA

View Full Version : Football Canarian Independence and Spain World Cup

atkinson316
20-06-2014, 23:17
Just would like a few people's views on this to see if I'm in the majority/minority. There a few (unnamed) people that I know that would like Canarian Independence from Spain who were cheering for Spain in the World Cup. I don't understand that. Why would you cheer for the very country that you want to dis-associate yourself with. It would be like the yes Scotland campaign hoping that England do well. Am I wrong to think this or should I just mind my own business? Cheers

timmylish
20-06-2014, 23:20
Mind your own business 'cause its clearly above you!

imablue
20-06-2014, 23:24
Politics...Sport.. take your choice mate ..sounds like they have ..(the few un-named)as you call them ..with respect..

marbro8
20-06-2014, 23:32
i will comment tomorrow when i am sober but you have touched on a very touchy subject:wink2:

timmylish
21-06-2014, 00:18
i will comment tomorrow when i am sober but you have touched on a very touchy subject:wink2:

Hence my suggestion to mind his (her) own business!

atkinson316
21-06-2014, 00:22
Sorry for expressing an opinion. Must be a no-no on here

timmylish
21-06-2014, 00:39
Sorry for expressing an opinion. Must be a no-no on here

With respect, you didn,t express an opinion you asked for the opinion of others based on the questions asked.

atkinson316
21-06-2014, 00:44
Why would you cheer for the very country that you want to dis-associate yourself with. It would be like the yes Scotland campaign hoping that England do well.

I do believe that is my opinion...with respect

Margaretta
21-06-2014, 13:41
Did the Canaries have their own team in the World Cup? (Genuinely don't know.) Surely sport should be non-political and if you can't support your own you would be likely to support the nearest country or one with which you had some affinity?

Fred Perry
21-06-2014, 13:44
I think you can split the local population into three camps. The first are the more radical Canarians who will want Spain to lose every match. Then you have the majority who will jump on the bandwagon when the team is doing very well, but at the end of the day are not that bothered. Then you have a smaller section who will be 100% behind Spain, wearing the shirt/flag etc.

Last weekend I went to a Play-off Final to support CD Tenerife B (basically our youth side) and the fans had flags of Holland to support them as they had tonked Spain the night before.
http://i61.tinypic.com/23lnixf.jpg

kingbaker
21-06-2014, 16:14
Did the Canaries have their own team in the World Cup? (Genuinely don't know.) Surely sport should be non-political and if you can't support your own you would be likely to support the nearest country or one with which you had some affinity?

Yes they have a team.......its called SPAIN and they were the current World Champions......:D:p

Ecky Thump
21-06-2014, 16:55
Why would you cheer for the very country that you want to dis-associate yourself with. It would be like the yes Scotland campaign hoping that England do well.

I do believe that is my opinion...with respect

It's remarks like that that could cause bad feelings between to countries, which Scotland and England are, but there are lots of Scottish folk that wished England good luck for the World Cup, as they would have done if Northern Ireland or Wales had been there.

People who are voting for a independent Scotland are generally not trying to disassociate themselves with English people!!!

Only stating my opinion!

marbro8
21-06-2014, 17:21
the supposed "bad feeling" between england and scotland is only a small minority and is just football rivalry and a bit of banter;), there are a lot of english people that live in scotland and vice versa and do so very happily, i have never heard of anyone being singled out in either country because of their nationality, now wales is a different matter:lol: i used to spend every weekend in welshpool on a caravan site, and i remember being asleep in my tent one night and being woken up by a very large very irate welsh man swinging a very large stick at my head and telling me to go back to englandeek2: i found out later that he was a welsh nationalisteek2:, mind you i had been going with his daughter :D as for the canarians not wanting to be spanish you have to go back in history to know that the local people on the canarian islands the guanches were nearly all slaughtered by the invading spanish, so maybe that has something to do with it:dontknow:

Tshirt
21-06-2014, 17:32
Yes they have a team.......its called SPAIN and they were the current World Champions......:D:p

They still are the world champions, until July 13th that is. :football:

Ecky Thump
21-06-2014, 17:32
[QUOTE=marbro8;377849 Now Wales is a different matter:lol: i used to spend every weekend in welshpool on a caravan site, and i remember being asleep in my tent one night and being woken up by a very large very irate welsh man swinging a very large stick at my head and telling me to go back to englandeek2: i found out later that he was a welsh nationalisteek2:, mind you i had been going with his daughter :D [/QUOTE]

Did his Daughter have very soft skin and go Baa !!:devil2::D

Tshirt
21-06-2014, 17:37
Did his Daughter have very soft skin and go Baa !!:devil2::D

and I bet you were wearing wellies, :)

marbro8
21-06-2014, 17:40
Did his Daughter have very soft skin and go Baa !!:devil2::Dyou knew flossy?:D

Ecky Thump
21-06-2014, 17:41
and I bet you were wearing wellies, :)

And at the edge of a cliff!:lol:

marbro8
21-06-2014, 17:41
and I bet you were wearing wellies, :)so was she:D

Ecky Thump
21-06-2014, 17:42
you knew flossy?:D

Another of my Hill-Billy cousins.:whistle:

kingbaker
21-06-2014, 18:02
Deaf O Dear O Dear!!!!!! :D:p:rolleyes:;)

imablue
21-06-2014, 18:39
you knew flossy?:D

Everyone knew Flossy:wave:

Ecky Thump
21-06-2014, 19:22
Everyone knew Flossy:wave:

I think she emigrated from Scotland to Wales as there had been to much interbreeding and even the sheep had Ginger Wool and wore Tam O'Shanters!
:devil:

Addick
21-06-2014, 19:43

I'd agree with you, but some national teams would appear to have an alternative view...

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w61/Addick1/52a59446-6ad6-43a1-bc2e-63e49dc7773f_zps92c52585.jpg (http://s173.photobucket.com/user/Addick1/media/52a59446-6ad6-43a1-bc2e-63e49dc7773f_zps92c52585.jpg.html)

imablue
21-06-2014, 21:10
thats an old picture in my eyes

marbro8
21-06-2014, 21:16
thats an old picture in my eyeswhen do you think that was taken?

junglejim
21-06-2014, 21:19
thats an old picture in my eyes
rub your eyes , it was at start of Argentina's game a couple of weeks ago ina friendly before WC .
http://en.mercopress.com/2014/06/08/argentina-s-stars-inflame-falklands-row-on-eve-of-world-cup

imablue
21-06-2014, 21:34
I,m lookin for Messi amongst others in the picture ..sorry ..i stand corrected ...but as has been said before politics and sport don,t go together..

kingbaker
21-06-2014, 22:22
[QUOTE=Nic;9]Monday is Día de Canarias (Canarian Day). I would think quite a lot of

marbro8
21-06-2014, 22:25
Another of my Hill-Billy cousins.:whistle:have they got another apartment on el mirador:laugh:

kingbaker
21-06-2014, 22:35
the supposed "bad feeling" between england and scotland is only a small minority and is just football rivalry and a bit of banter;), there are a lot of english people that live in scotland and vice versa and do so very happily, i have never heard of anyone being singled out in either country because of their nationality, now wales is a different matter:lol: i used to spend every weekend in welshpool on a caravan site, and i remember being asleep in my tent one night and being woken up by a very large very irate welsh man swinging a very large stick at my head and telling me to go back to englandeek2: i found out later that he was a welsh nationalisteek2:, mind you i had been going with his daughter :D as for the canarians not wanting to be spanish you have to go back in history to know that the local people on the canarian islands the guanches were nearly all slaughtered by the invading spanish, so maybe that has something to do with it:dontknow:

Did they take exception being slaughtered....the ungreatfull gitts. :p:D;):confused::(:p:(:p

marbro8
21-06-2014, 22:40
Did they take exception being slaughtered....the ungreatfull gitts. :p:D;):confused::(:p:(:pwhat people have to realise is just because canariens speak spanish and are ruled by spain it doesn't make them spanish;)

kingbaker
23-06-2014, 21:27
Also Canarians couldn't survive economically or militarily on their own. :confused::D;)

marbro8
23-06-2014, 23:12
Also Canarians couldn't survive economically or militarily on their own. :confused::D;)they wouldn't need to they have the might of the somolian army behind them:laugh:

bonitatime
23-06-2014, 23:35
Also Canarians couldn't survive economically or militarily on their own. :confused::D;)

Not sure ecónomically is actually true. I have seen figures that imply otherwise.
As for militarily they would need to seek assistance. If there is really oil in the water I am sure the US would help.
Spain will never allow a vote but that's another thing

kingbaker
24-06-2014, 00:20
Im talking about now.

They have nearly 30% unemployment with huge numbers of families with everyone out of work. Any benefits from oil, would take a few years to come on stream.

Angusjim
24-06-2014, 08:00
Not sure ecónomically is actually true. I have seen figures that imply otherwise.
As for militarily they would need to seek assistance. If there is really oil in the water I am sure the US would help.
Spain will never allow a vote but that's another thing

Yea we get the crap from the SNP in Scotland

Ecky Thump
24-06-2014, 08:05
Yea we get the crap from the SNP in Scotland

Do the SNP understand words like "economically or imply"?