PDA

View Full Version : Internet Disgusting 0.4 mb download speeds in 2014 from Movistar. Do something about it!

Jabba43
10-07-2014, 18:58
I cannot stream content, I cannot watch youtube, I cannot get an IP TV box forcing me into a more expensive option. Apps for my kids take forever to download, no xbox 360 via the internet. Big files take forever to send through skype or download to my PC.

Movistar, it is 2014, the age of video via the internet! I had 0.4 mb 10 years ago when I was living in Poland. FFS do something about it you monopolistic bunch of corporate thieves.

Angusjim
11-07-2014, 06:21
I cannot stream content, I cannot watch youtube, I cannot get an IP TV box forcing me into a more expensive option. Apps for my kids take forever to download, no xbox 360 via the internet. Big files take forever to send through skype or download to my PC.

Movistar, it is 2014, the age of video via the internet! I had 0.4 mb 10 years ago when I was living in Poland. FFS do something about it you monopolistic bunch of corporate thieves.

Yea but at least you have great weather:laugh::c2:

kathml
11-07-2014, 07:48
Move house checking first you can get good connection This is a problem anywhere not just in Tenerife

TonyLA2
11-07-2014, 09:18

Where do you live in Tenerife, I have never heard of anyone getting below 1.5mb most are getting 6 to 8mb. I am on the golf del sur and have upgraded with movistar from adsl to vdsl so I now get speeds of up to 30mb. I can download movies at 2.6mb and still watch IPTV in HD it is fantastic.

Have you had your line checked to see if there is a problem? My IPTV guy is very good I am sure he would check it for you with movistar to see why you are getting such low speeds.

bulldog
11-07-2014, 11:32
I live in a rural area and have battled with Telefonica for years in the the early years they just lied to you saying
its in the pipeline for updating there,s just a thin cable supplying about 10 properties only suitable for phones
I,ve had tec.after tec.on call out the odd one tells the truth, cables need beefing up.I now except it for what it is.
rubbish!! or move house which is not an option.

anegib
11-07-2014, 13:27
I too live in rural area and have been told only get lmb because so far from the exchange! Went to Movistar this week to ask for more and maybe VDSL and woman said fibre cables are now up and working in Candelaria. So to go back in a month and see if I can upgrade. Whats the betting it wont reach 10 minutes up above the town.

TonyLA2
11-07-2014, 14:10
For those in rural areas a couple of options it might be worth you exploring is air internet which covers right up to Mt Teide

http://www.wificanarias.com/index.php/es/air-internet

Another option is 3G through Movistar although not sure that would give you enough speed to stream etc.

https://www.movistar.es/particulares/internet/movistar-adsl/ver-todos-los-adsl/ficha-faq/hogar-3g-hasta-10-mb/

might just help

bulldog
11-07-2014, 16:36
is there any members out there who have air internet connected already or 3G any comments would be
helpful and the costs.

Vortex Wake
11-07-2014, 17:56
Assuming your internet really is that slow and not a router / local phone cable issue etc, you could investigate Vodafones 3g router .

The router is similar to your adsl router - except it takes a sim card and receives data in a similar manner to your phone BUT with the advantage of allowing an external antenna to be pointed directly to the cell transmitter (maximising signal strength and thus SPEED).

My 3g signal can often be faster than my Virgin cable broadband in the UK.

Jabba43
12-07-2014, 06:58
This is exactly what I asked for this week when I went to shout at them. I said give me an unlimited 3g card instead and I will be happy. Lady said they do not do 3g unlimited and as you can see below from the links above, you end up with 5gb. When we first came here my family was using 1 Gb a day, a movie is 1 gb or more. There IS a solution for people like us but again they will not give it to us because they do not care. They get the same money from you if you get 20mb or 0.4 mb. As we have bought our house which we love to death, we cannot move. It is only Movistar that is spoiling the party.

Even more frustrating is now 4g is coming, you can get speeds up to 150 mb but they will sell this for a premium rather than helping out the people they are screwing over.

Surf the Internet
• Internet connection with a speed of up to 10 Mb, as you've never had.
• Limited Download 5 GB per month. Once passed, the speed is reduced to 128 Kb / 64 Kb
• Our technician will install the equipment in the area with better coverage of your home.
• Wireless router, so you can navigate with other computers in your home

TonyLA2
12-07-2014, 15:45
I opened the aircanarias site in google chrome so that it would translate into English for me. It looks very interesting and from what I hear from someone who has tried it the speed is good and consistent. You can see on their site the areas covered are good covering most of the populated areas and also the rural, I think it is what the forestry people use in the mountains.

http://www.wificanarias.com/index.php/es/air-internet/79-noticias/73-cobertura-wifi-canarias

Got to be worth checking out if you just can't get telefonica to provide what you need.

Mia
17-07-2014, 22:10
Is anyone having the problem we are experiencing in Callao Salvaje or surrounding area.

We have never had above 2.5mbps but it has been reasonably consistent, ranging from 2.0 to 2.5 in the past.
It has been appalling over the last 3 or 4 weeks it has been going up and down like a yo yo. Also we keep regularly dropping off the internet altogether.

I can understand getting a low download but not why it should fluctuate like this.

Saltnpepper
21-07-2014, 19:34
We're up in San Miguel, close to El Roque, & I just did an internet speed test. We pay for 6MB & the test shows we are getting 5.28MB which is not bad! We get our internet through Direct Telecom who we've been dealing with for the past 10 years but still pay line rental to Movistar.

LUCKY
21-07-2014, 22:00
We're up in San Miguel, close to El Roque, & I just did an internet speed test. We pay for 6MB & the test shows we are getting 5.28MB which is not bad! We get our internet through Direct Telecom who we've been dealing with for the past 10 years but still pay line rental to Movistar.

We may be Lower GDS but we get Great Download Speeds ... any one notice how i used the initials GDS :flatcap: so maybe thanks to movistar and the new tarmac we may turn out to be Upper:flatcap:(ASIF)

hailfuzz
22-07-2014, 02:48
I just got broadband & phoneline in my apartment in Los Cris with Moviestar (up to 10mb package), I am only getting 0.8mb download speed.... phoned tthem up and they said its due to the exchange ??? any advice?

thanks

karinagal
22-07-2014, 18:58
I'm in Amarilla Golf and get 8.5... Happy with that!!

Suzanne
22-07-2014, 20:02
I am up in Chimiche and we get 8.5 so very happy with movistar.

SuzyQ
23-07-2014, 11:36
We struggle with similar speeds to the OP in La Mareta, its almost unusable. Yet a couple of miles down the coast in GDS is perfect. Grrr.... and is it me or is it worse in summer???

Megaloo
23-07-2014, 12:35
I am in Puerto de la Cruz and only get 2.5 max.

slodgedad
23-07-2014, 20:03

Why not do the whole thing through DT? Line rental is over 6 euros cheaper.

anegib
23-07-2014, 20:57
Can anyone help me please? Had man here today from Wifi Canarias installing it for me. Only had 1mb with Movistar up here above Candelaria, but now will get 4mb. My problem is how do I connect wifi to xbmc box using the remote control that came with box? I need to enter the password but dont know how to get the keyboard on xbmc remote control. Can anyone help please?

Saltnpepper
24-07-2014, 11:02
I guess we should do that, Slodgedad, thanks for the suggestion. Must get round to it!! :)

DJ Dangerous
03-09-2014, 16:03
Movistar are offering 100Mb download speeds in Santa Cruz.
Living in the south is like living in Butlins, and living in the hills is like living in Bournemouth...
:)
Maybe high speed internet will eventually reach the south, since the groundwork was laid along the TF-1 a few years ago, or maybe it won't.

Mia
09-10-2014, 13:46
Good news for the south if it actually happens:

http://newsinthesun.com/telefonica-promises-fibre-optic-connections-for-south-tenerife/

Jabba43
25-10-2014, 21:17
During the press conference Telefónica representatives were keen to highlight the fact that the new service would, within a year or two, reach parts of the borough of Adeje that have, until now, suffered from a poor service, such as Callao Salvaje and Playa Paraíso.

That sentence says it all, a year or two...meh

Bob
26-10-2014, 15:25
we have had many a run in with telefonica and now use Navegatel we pay for 4 meg and get 3+ most of the time. Occasionally our digi tv goes pearshaped but film on is always good for a backup. Works with a mini dish.