PDA

View Full Version : Health A tip for biting insect and mosquito repellant

martincrabb99
13-07-2014, 11:21
I thought I would share a little tip. There is a product called Avon Skin So Soft which is an excellent insect repellant. I discovered this in Scotland at a little hardware shop in Glencoe. I was intrigued as to why they were selling a beauty product in a hardware shop and I was told that most of the emergency services in Scotland use this product to keep away the midges and the armed services use it in tropical climates. I tried it and it really does work plus you dont smell like fly spray. My skin is soft as well!

LUCKY
13-07-2014, 11:36
I thought I would share a little tip. There is a product called Avon Skin So Soft which is an excellent insect repellant. I discovered this in Scotland at a little hardware shop in Glencoe. I was intrigued as to why they were selling a beauty product in a hardware shop and I was told that most of the emergency services in Scotland use this product to keep away the midges and the armed services use it in tropical climates. I tried it and it really does work plus you dont smell like fly spray. My skin is soft as well!

What a bonus keeps the insects away and your skin is so soft. Ding dong must go someone at the door :flatcap:

Ecky Thump
13-07-2014, 11:37
Ah the good old Scottish Midge.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHv7ixhN46A

Malteser Monkey
13-07-2014, 11:39
http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?34297-Which-are-the-best-mosquito-repellent-sprays-to-use-in-Tenerife/page4&highlight=skin+soft

have a look at this mate

martincrabb99
13-07-2014, 11:45
http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?34297-Which-are-the-best-mosquito-repellent-sprays-to-use-in-Tenerife/page4&highlight=skin+soft

have a look at this mate

A lot of good advice.....really useful[emoji106]

martincrabb99
13-07-2014, 11:48
What a bonus keeps the insects away and your skin is so soft. Ding dong must go someone at the door :flatcap:

I've heard you're lucky it's probably Ann Widdecombe[emoji6]

LUCKY
13-07-2014, 11:52
A lot of good advice.....really useful[emoji106]

More details on here for the forum members :flatcap:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/avon-so-soft/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aavon%20so%20soft

Is there a Avon rep in the house ?

Tshirt
13-07-2014, 12:13
More details on here for the forum members :flatcap:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/avon-so-soft/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aavon%20so%20soft

Is there a Avon rep in the house ?

Also

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Avon-Skin-So-Soft-Dry-Oil-Body-Spray-Insect-Repellent-Original-Bonus-Size-x-2-/331175404551?_trksid=p2054897.l5662

Addick
13-07-2014, 14:05
If you go to Avon's website it's only £1.99 at the moment for 150ml bottle instead of £5. Free delivery if you spend over £20 or have someone nearby that is a rep (can put in your postcode to check - apparently I have one 0.1 miles away so I'm off to check the shed!)

kingbaker
13-07-2014, 17:33
Dont know wott all the fuss is about, I have been going to the Canaries since early eighties, and I've NEVER BEEN BITTEN by anything except at the goat herders place on the way up to Vera De Erques from San Juan. I pulled in there by mistake and Eleventeen squillion horse fly type creatures invaded the car through the open windows. One bit me.....but he'll never do it again.

So wotts witt all the poncy sprays?
Is this the wimps thread??????????
:rolleyes::p:D:what::cool:;):p:(:p:)

Tshirt
13-07-2014, 17:35
It's for the wife :lol:

kingbaker
13-07-2014, 17:48
It's for the wife :lol:

Are ye gonna spray her all over??:p:D:p;)

martincrabb99
13-07-2014, 17:49
Dont know wott all the fuss is about, I have been going to the Canaries since early eighties, and I've NEVER BEEN BITTEN by anything except at the goat herders place on the way up to Vera De Erques from San Juan. I pulled in there by mistake and Eleventeen squillion horse fly type creatures invaded the car through the open windows. One bit me.....but he'll never do it again.

Don't know better ask as the Special Air Service...they use it.

melm
13-07-2014, 18:33

You've obviously never been bitten by the Scottish midge..................millions of them:crazy:

macdonald5
13-07-2014, 18:46
You are very fortunate then KB, I had misfortune one October to be badly bitten by Mosquitos and definately will do all I can NOT to have repeat That year many others were bitten even worse than myself. I had horrible pus filled sores for weeks then unsightly purple marks for ages when sores healed Midges here in Scotland can be as bad
so Avon dry oil spray and Boots Repel tropical strength spray if 'poncy' are very necessary in many cases !!

kingbaker
13-07-2014, 19:39
You are very fortunate then KB, I had misfortune one October to be badly bitten by Mosquitos and definately will do all I can NOT to have repeat That year many others were bitten even worse than myself. I had horrible pus filled sores for weeks then unsightly purple marks for ages when sores healed Midges here in Scotland can be as bad
so Avon dry oil spray and Boots Repel tropical strength spray if 'poncy' are very necessary in many cases !!

Ha!! ha!! ha!! ha!! I was wondering who' be first to reply, I thought it would be someone who lives there all the time.
I must be very special....with no bites eh?:(:p;););)

kingbaker
13-07-2014, 19:44
You've obviously never been bitten by the Scottish midge..................millions of them:crazy:

No I've never been bitten by Scottish midges or Irish ones either.....maybe I look vicious and they are afraid. ;););):D

Ecky Thump
13-07-2014, 19:57
Last year in Los Christianos, my Grandson got bitten by what we believe was a mosquito and no one noticed until we were out for dinner at Linaris2, when one of the waiters spotted a large swelling on his arm, he immediately cut a garlic clove in half and rubbed it on the swelling, the affect could be seen straight away as the swelling subsided.
I can only think that the garlic contains a natural antibiotic.

macdonald5
13-07-2014, 19:58
No I've never been bitten by Scottish midges or Irish ones either.....maybe I look vicious and they are afraid. ;););):D

Or have crocodile skin ????

martincrabb99
13-07-2014, 20:07
Last year in Los Christianos, my Grandson got bitten by what we believe was a mosquito and no one noticed until we were out for dinner at Linaris2, when one of the waiters spotted a large swelling on his arm, he immediately cut a garlic clove in half and rubbed it on the swelling, the affect could be seen straight away as the swelling subsided.

Well worth remembering, a lot of people have suffered serious consequences as a result of mosquito bites throughout the world. I seem to recall that at Gallipoli a lot of soldiers sadly died as a result of infection from bites, maybe the sordid conditions didn't help.

kingbaker
13-07-2014, 20:13

Sorry if I seem like a putz but I associate Mosquitos with Malaria, and the Canary Islands are regarded as Malaria free, as are South Africa, Zimbabwe and Mozambique....so you shouldn't get bitten by MOSQUITOS. ;):p:D

macdonald5
13-07-2014, 20:19
Sorry if I seem like a putz but I associate Mosquitos with Malaria, and the Canary Islands are regarded as Malaria free, as are South Africa, Zimbabwe and Mozambique....so you shouldn't get bitten by MOSQUITOS. ;):p:D

Encephalitis which can be fatal or leave serious after affects can occur from mosquito bite KB , and trust me not funny !!

kingbaker
13-07-2014, 20:31
Encephalitis which can be fatal or leave serious after affects can occur from mosquito bite KB , and trust me not funny !!

Not wanting to argue witt you, but is there any malaria?
A doctor in Ireland told me that there are 4 types of mosquito here but they are not dangerous.;)

Ecky Thump
13-07-2014, 20:32

Not all Mosquitos bite humans and just like the Midge, its only the female of the species that does bite. The mosquito carry many other diseases apart from malaria, some of which can be fatal, but most are not, also most people have a reaction to the bite of a mosquito.

warbey
13-07-2014, 21:04

I have had the occasional bite, lasting two or three days.
My O.H. has had horrible bites that required Lancing..

Obviously K.B. the Mozzys don't like You, so You are lucky.

I seem to remember being warned of Dengue Fever whilst in Jamaica.
It makes sense to Me to avoid being bitten by anything

F.I.F.A. recommend that too.......:bootyshake::bootyshake:

kingbaker
13-07-2014, 21:11
That was the only bite I've seen in years:(:D:(:(:D:D:D:p:p

Ricman
14-07-2014, 15:38
Them Suarez mossies are the worst.

SueB
17-07-2014, 12:47
Yes garlic is a good anti-inflammatory and so is onion, and the smell will stop the mozzies coming back. Another good home ready for reducing the swelling from insect bites is deodorant either spray or roll on. So you can either smell of garlic or deodorant! I know which one I'd choose. :)

Ecky Thump
17-07-2014, 13:29
Yes garlic is a good anti-inflammatory and so is onion, and the smell will stop the mozzies coming back. Another good home ready for reducing the swelling from insect bites is deodorant either spray or roll on. So you can either smell of garlic or deodorant! I know which one I'd choose. :)

GARLIC!:laugh:

Lots of people have a reaction to certain deodarants and they can bring on Asthma attacks.

SueB
17-07-2014, 13:54
Yes of course deodorants, and in fact any strong smelling perfume or aerosol products can provoke an asthma attack in some people. I am asthmatic myself and I can't enter any of the big Dept stores like Debenhams that have perfume counters at the entrance without wheezing! But deodorants have never bothered me.