PDA

View Full Version : Employment Would my UK diploma be accepted for job applications in Tenerife?

Desborough.A
13-07-2014, 19:35
So, if any of you don't recognise my name, ive introduced myself abit in the "introductions" thread.

im primarily here for the banter and to gain some knowledge on moving to tenerife, i don't have a date set and don't intend too until the correct time. ive spoke to people briefly while out there some who sing its praises and others who i prefer tell it how it is.

one thing ive never been able to delve into is one of the main points that would make my decision of a move or not.

i hold a Diploma in Logistics & Supply Chain Management.
I'm partially aware that this may mean nothing in the grand scheme of things? like would it help

basically i would obviously use this to find work, anything from truck driving to port ops

I'm currently learning Spanish, im aware just like most other languages that there's "slang" so to speak, ie Canarian Spanish compared to main land Spanish.

so my base question really is, what is the market like towards the need of qualified logistics personnel drivers warehousing etc etc currently dont hold any HGV licenses but i am in the process of getting that,

so a sub question would be,
my driving licence.

i hold car & Full motorcycle on my British licence if i was to get my heavy goods here in Britain would it be pointless?

or can all of my driving categories be carried over? or is it a re-test?

is there anybody currently in the logistics sector working there? i assume to know Spanish is an obvious advantage but is fluent Spanish essential?

thanks in advance.
Andy

bonitatime
14-07-2014, 12:42
If you don't speak Spanish there are a very limited number of companies who have this type of jobs

Desborough.A
14-07-2014, 13:59
If you don't speak Spanish there are a very limited number of companies who have this type of jobs

thanks for the reply Bonitatime,
i thought that, so i am doing quite well with my Spanish so far, i have plenty of time is it possible to find a directory of haulage companies etc in tenerife? or do you know any company names i can put in google to have a look at.

thanks Andy

timmylish
14-07-2014, 17:59
tbh.the largest haulage contractors, outwith one inter Canarian company, are probably all based in mainland Spain.

just a "by the way" I imagine the word you really want to use in the header is "accepted".

doreen
14-07-2014, 19:26
Google really is an amazing resource :)

http://www.paginasamarillas.es/empresas-transporte/all-ma/tenerife/all-is/all-ci/all-ba/all-pu/all-nc/1

Personally, I do think you would need as near fluent as possible Spanish to work in this sector

junglejim
14-07-2014, 19:33
Most goods come in to Tenerife via port of Santa Cruz
http://www.handyshippingguide.com/overseas-agencies/freight-agencies-worldwide/canary-islands/santa-cruz-de-tenerife

http://merzcargo.com/en/forwarders-in-spain/freight-forwarder-in-tenerife/

The airports also do some cargo handling.

Desborough.A
14-07-2014, 19:45
tbh.the largest haulage contractors, outwith one inter Canarian company, are probably all based in mainland Spain.

just a "by the way" I imagine the word you really want to use in the header is "accepted".

i believe my title was changed to this as originally i named it something different i think....

i will check out this haulage firm Thank you! :flatcap:

Google really is an amazing resource :)

http://www.paginasamarillas.es/empresas-transporte/all-ma/tenerife/all-is/all-ci/all-ba/all-pu/all-nc/1

Personally, I do think you would need as near fluent as possible Spanish to work in this sector
i thought as much, good thing ive got beyond plenty of time, as i said im learning but not fluent as of yet :)

Most goods come in to Tenerife via port of Santa Cruz
http://www.handyshippingguide.com/overseas-agencies/freight-agencies-worldwide/canary-islands/santa-cruz-de-tenerife

http://merzcargo.com/en/forwarders-in-spain/freight-forwarder-in-tenerife/

The airports also do some cargo handling.

im going to look at the port and airport, probably an easy enough place to start really.

thank you all for your replies :bowdown:

Andy0210
15-07-2014, 03:38
i believe my title was changed to this as originally i named it something different i think....

I agree i think you will struggle with what you are looking for might be easier for you to come over, settle for any kind of work and learn the lingo while you are here, you will learn it much faster being surrounded by it.

Then possibly move onto the kind of work you want to do once you are here, I have full HGV licence but never used it here although many years ago i did have an interview with Pepsi and was offered a job driving a class 2 truck delivering to bars, and that was whilst speaking no Spanish at the time.

Off topic now, whoever changed your thread title should apologise for making you look dim in my opinion, someone who canīt spell shouldnīt be given free reign to change peoples comments and thread titles!

I

doreen
15-07-2014, 14:39
I agree i think you will struggle with what you are looking for might be easier for you to come over, settle for any kind of work and learn the lingo while you are here, you will learn it much faster being surrounded by it.

Then possibly move onto the kind of work you want to do once you are here, I have full HGV licence but never used it here although many years ago i did have an interview with Pepsi and was offered a job driving a class 2 truck delivering to bars, and that was whilst speaking no Spanish at the time.

I

Can I ask why you turned down the job offer, Andy - wages perhaps ?

PS Can you send me a friend request on FB - you are hidden from my view for some reason :)

bonitatime
15-07-2014, 15:16
A lot of delivery drivers here are self employed selling stuff on a percentage

languagefan
15-07-2014, 15:50
You should have no problem with the "homologacion" of your degree under EU treaties, but as others said earlier, finding any kind of job here is going to be a challenge. Good luck anyway.