PDA

View Full Version : In praise of the humble banana

Canarian Weekly
18-07-2014, 12:20
THE banana industry remains vitally important to the health of the Canarian economy, a new study has revealed this week. Right now, it’s the most important agricultural activity, both economically and socially, in the Canary Archipelago. Tens of thousands of people are employed either in the primary sector, via growing and packing of produce, or […]

More... (http://www.canarianweekly.com/praise-humble-banana/)

Malteser Monkey
18-07-2014, 12:35
primrose.........

primrose
18-07-2014, 14:27
You only need to look at the photograph to see why I don't like them. :v2:I don't like their tomatoes either, can't beat an English tomato straight out of the Greenhouse.:yum:

macdonald5
18-07-2014, 15:47
You only need to look at the photograph to see why I don't like them. :v2:I don't like their tomatoes either, can't beat an English tomato straight out of the Greenhouse.:yum:

Or a lovely tasty Scottish one !!!! lol
I buy Clyde Valley Scottish tomatoes from our butcher each week ,very tasty

Hepa
18-07-2014, 18:16
I prefer the sweet Canary Island Bananas, the ones in the U.K. were imported from West Africa and the Caribbean, heavily subsidised, full of chemicals and tasted of nothing. Ours are not imported, grown locally and fresh in the shops.

essexeddie
18-07-2014, 20:56
I prefer the sweet Canary Island Bananas, the ones in the U.K. were imported from West Africa and the Caribbean, heavily subsidised, full of chemicals and tasted of nothing. Ours are not imported, grown locally and fresh in the shops.

Must admit they all taste the same to me.

melm
18-07-2014, 21:00

Sorry but I still don't like them:doh:

warbey
18-07-2014, 21:05
I would query the term Tens of Thousands.............................

We used to favour Canary Salad Tomatoes.. Not seen them for a few Years now...

essexeddie
18-07-2014, 21:19
As a baby I suffered with Celiac disease and could only eat bananas. I was in Great Ormond Street Hospital for over six months with the complaint. I don't have any of the symptoms now and I still like bananas.

kingbaker
18-07-2014, 21:41
Or a lovely tasty Scottish one !!!! lol
I buy Clyde Valley Scottish tomatoes from our butcher each week ,very tasty

My butcher only sells meat!! :p:D;)

essexeddie
18-07-2014, 21:56

You wont get away with that, stand by......

kingbaker
18-07-2014, 22:00
Ok can I have a fillet of tomato please?:p

macdonald5
18-07-2014, 22:11

Boring butchers in Dublinshire then !!!!!!!
Our lovely butcher sells cakes, scones ,tomatoes etc and my dear English friends say it's the best butchers they have ever been in xx

kingbaker
18-07-2014, 22:28
Boring butchers in Dublinshire then !!!!!!!
Our lovely butcher sells cakes, scones ,tomatoes etc and my dear English friends say it's the best butchers they have ever been in xx

Yeah but they'll be ok when the drink wears off.

Do they sell a leg of fish, or chicken fingers......bet they get those the wrong way 'round!! :p:p;)

macdonald5
18-07-2014, 22:34
Yeah but they'll be ok when the drink wears off.

Do they sell a leg of fish, or chicken fingers......bet they get those the wrong way 'round!! :p:p;)

Away and play on the motorway dear KB !!! Do you have them in Dublinshire ?? x

Hepa
19-07-2014, 11:53
Sorry but I still don't like them:doh:

Try them fried

kathml
19-07-2014, 11:59
I don't like Canarian bananas either much prefer Caribbean ones

Ecky Thump
19-07-2014, 12:24
Try them fried

Or lightly grilled on toast......:yum::yum:

I think the Canarian bananas have a lot more flavour than the Fyffes ones we get imported to the UK, or maybe it's the sunshine in Tenerife while I'm eating them!:D

kingbaker
19-07-2014, 12:40
Try them fried

How do you fry them exactly?
Deep fry? butter?
Dont mind the chooooosey gits here, I love all fruit and whatever else I can get my hands on from Canaries.

A problem is that all the best quality (supposedly) tomatoes etc. are kept for the fuss~pots who buy for supermarkets in the U Queendom or Ireland etc. The 'lesser' quality toms can appear in your salad in Tenerifs looking a bit greenish and reddish and upset the unfortunate fuss~pots, who were trained by the above fuss~pots. :p:p:p;)

:D:D:D

Ecky Thump
19-07-2014, 12:47
Away and play on the motorway dear KB !!! Do you have them in Dublinshire ?? x

They do have a banana boat that sails on the Liffey.....similar to this one:D

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFu2xdY8Y00
Words and music by John Murphy A song about a ship which transported "treated " sewage ...

kingbaker
19-07-2014, 13:27
No I'm glad to say, we don't. ;);)

Hepa
19-07-2014, 15:48
How do you fry them exactly?
Deep fry? butter?
Dont mind the chooooosey gits here, I love all fruit and whatever else I can get my hands on from Canaries.

A problem is that all the best quality (supposedly) tomatoes etc. are kept for the fuss~pots who buy for supermarkets in the U Queendom or Ireland etc. The 'lesser' quality toms can appear in your salad in Tenerifs looking a bit greenish and reddish and upset the unfortunate fuss~pots, who were trained by the above fuss~pots. :p:p:p;)

:D:D:D

Frying pan, olive oil and sugar, serve with cream or ice cream.

Ecky Thump
19-07-2014, 16:15

Kingbaker is Irish. ....cream or ice cream is a choice and that confuses him!:D:devil2:

kingbaker
19-07-2014, 16:53
Ha!!ha!! Im being slagged by someone from a nation who eat 'deep fried mars bars' for breakkie. :p:p;):D:D:D;)

Ecky Thump
19-07-2014, 17:05
Ha!!ha!! Im being slagged by someone from a nation who eat 'deep fried mara bars' for breakkie. :p:p;)

That's only in the land of Angusjim here we only eat (to my dismay) deep fried meat pies!.....yuck.

Malteser Monkey
19-07-2014, 18:16
Try them fried

I used to fry them lightly in a little butter then drizzle with toffee sauce and ice cream

Thanks Hepa had forgotten about that:D

Ecky Thump
19-07-2014, 18:24
I used to fry them lightly in a little butter then drizzle with toffee sauce and ice cream

Memory loss...Hmm, maybe a age thing.:devil2:

melm
19-07-2014, 18:24
bananas cooked on the barbeque are delicious. Open the skin and serve them as MM does. Chocolate sauce or maple syrup is also yummy:yum:

Hepa
19-07-2014, 18:27

Sounds good!!

warbey
19-07-2014, 19:32

it will be if M.M. takes a Butchers at that Mate.!! ... :ban::dog::hide::hide::stars::stars:

Malteser Monkey
20-07-2014, 12:47

Glad you got in there before KB !:D