PDA

View Full Version : Relocation Where's the best place for me to live in Tenerife?

jaketheman
20-07-2014, 22:30
Hey everyone, I have been thinking of relocating to Tenerife for a while now and need some help in choosing the ideal place in Tenerife for me, I am sure you guys can help!

I am looking for somewhere with good weather, the more sun and daylight hours the better (from what I understand south/west is the best location in the respect, but I am not sure), particularly during the UK's winter months as this is when I will be looking to visit to begin with before permanently relocating.

Somewhere with nice surroundings and places to walk/bike etc, a bit of culture, you know.

Preferably somewhere near the coast, as I am looking into bringing a boat down and I would like a beach nearby. (That's another thing, if anybody with any experience keeping their boats in Tenerife could give me any advice on this, would be appreciated, how easy/straightforward is it etc)

Somewhere that isn't totally riddled with brits and tourists (not that I mind a few, it might be nice to hear a familiar language every now and then - but basically I don't really want to feel like I am staying in a kids party holiday resort like Malia or something with music until 5 in the morning) Really not looking for a resort atmosphere. Bit of a local 'real tenerife' feel would be great.

A few bars, etc would be nice, some great restaurants, cafe's etc. Just somewhere that is chilled out, easy going, has a little bit of nightlight and evening activity and isn't totally devoid of fun, but not too much.

Few questions:

Can someone give me an idea of cost of living in Tenerife compared to the Uk (London), food, accommodation etc etc?

What are the people like, I know this will vary with specific locations, but what is the general mentality like over there?

What is the crime rate like etc.

I've been very specific I know! But just giving you guys an idea of what would be ideal.

Any recommendations would be very appreciated!

Cheers.

junglejim
21-07-2014, 09:41
Plenty of info available using the search facility but, by the description of your requirements, Tristan da Cunha sounds ideal for you !

Muppet
21-07-2014, 10:27
Hey everyone, I have been thinking of relocating to Tenerife for a while now and need some help in choosing the ideal place in Tenerife for me, I am sure you guys can help!

I am looking for somewhere with good weather, the more sun and daylight hours the better (from what I understand south/west is the best location in the respect, but I am not sure), particularly during the UK's winter months as this is when I will be looking to visit to begin with before permanently relocating.

Somewhere with nice surroundings and places to walk/bike etc, a bit of culture, you know.

Preferably somewhere near the coast, as I am looking into bringing a boat down and I would like a beach nearby. (That's another thing, if anybody with any experience keeping their boats in Tenerife could give me any advice on this, would be appreciated, how easy/straightforward is it etc)

Somewhere that isn't totally riddled with brits and tourists (not that I mind a few, it might be nice to hear a familiar language every now and then - but basically I don't really want to feel like I am staying in a kids party holiday resort like Malia or something with music until 5 in the morning) Really not looking for a resort atmosphere. Bit of a local 'real tenerife' feel would be great.

A few bars, etc would be nice, some great restaurants, cafe's etc. Just somewhere that is chilled out, easy going, has a little bit of nightlight and evening activity and isn't totally devoid of fun, but not too much.

Few questions:

Can someone give me an idea of cost of living in Tenerife compared to the Uk (London), food, accommodation etc etc?

What are the people like, I know this will vary with specific locations, but what is the general mentality like over there?

What is the crime rate like etc.

I've been very specific I know! But just giving you guys an idea of what would be ideal.

Any recommendations would be very appreciated!

Cheers.

1. Cost of Living, generally quite similar, technology/communications costs very very high
2. People tend to be a mix of Canarians and Tourists
3. Crime, there is some (sadly) the islands are very poor, unemployment runs around 30%
Don't do boats, complicated and expensive. Get a degree in Red Tape before you move over, and learn some Spanish. Bring money, plenty of it wrapped up in yet more, and have fun

x

cheery
21-07-2014, 17:49
San Miguel Marina;

http://marinasanmiguel.com/

From another website I go on.

Playa Antequera, remote, very nice, could be swelly and wind alternates sometimes from 3 different valleys down into the bay. Off Los Christianos, just outside the harbour. They do not like boats anchoring in the harbour, you may be chased away.

I'll see what else I can find regarding boats.