PDA

View Full Version : Cars & Transport Do I need a car for living on Tenerife?

Nina Hess
21-07-2014, 11:06
Hi all!

I've decided to move to Tenerife in a few years. I'd like to know how important it is to have a car when you live on Tenerife. The plan is to work from home over the internet because my plan is to start out working from home (so I can be employed in Denmark where I'm from and there are more jobs and better wages) so I wouldn't need a car every day. I would like to live in a small town on the north east coast but would still like to go to Santa Cruz once in a while for theater, shopping etc.

The problem is that I don't have a driver's license and since the thought of having to drive a car really scares me I would rather avoid getting one. My boyfriend has a license but he doesn't like using it because he's a little afraid of driving as well (we both grew up in the city so never really needed a car). I'd like to ask you how the public transportation system is. How much would it cost to go for example from La Orotava to Santa Cruz, how long would it take and is the buss system reliable? And how easy would it be to get from La Orotava to the beach? Would it make sense to get a scooter or a bike to go to the beach? I'm much more comfortable with that.

Hope you can help. Kind regards Nina.

junglejim
21-07-2014, 11:23
Welcome to Forum!
You can commute quite well around all of Tenerife by bus , the infrastructure is quite good and well priced , especially if you use the Bono discount card which gives up to 50% discount on fares , free transfers and some free return journeys within time limits .
La Oratova - Santa Cruz is around €3.50 with bono one way .
There is plenty of info on the Forum on travelling around by public transport , hire car, or more problematic - buying and usinga car /transferring licence !
Feel free to ask more questions !
http://www.titsa.com/

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Intercambiador+Santa+Cruz,+Spain//@28.4002291,-16.4919142,13z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m5!1m1!1s0xc41cc9dedf501c7:0xa540b0 3963e197d!2m2!1d-16.252961!2d28.458353!1m0!3e3

Nina Hess
21-07-2014, 11:41
Thank you, that sounds great :)