PDA

View Full Version : Cars & Transport Renewing Spanish driving licence in Tenerife

Saltnpepper
21-07-2014, 19:46
We have just had to renew our Spanish driving licences which we did quite easily at the Centro de Conductores next to the medical centre in the main street of San Isidro. It cost us 70 euros each which I thought was quite steep. Do we have to pay this cost every 5 years? And, 2nd question, out of interest, do Canarians have to pay this as well every 5 years?? Any info appreciated, thanks.

bonitatime
22-07-2014, 13:48
Most of the cost is the medical
I thought driving licenses were 10 years but maybe if you are older it's 5 years
Everyone pays

doncarlos
22-07-2014, 14:55
The cost depends on the place and on the categories that you’re renewing. I think something like €23 (for class b) goes to DGT but €70 does seem steep to me.

Normal licences are valid for 10 years until the driver turns 65, at which time the licence is valid for 5 years.

For professional drivers, taxi drivers and bus drivers (BTP permits, C1, C1 + E, C, C + E, D1, D1 + E, D and D + E) the validity of the permit is 5 years until 65, and 3 years thereafter but the DGT tasa is lower.

Saltnpepper
22-07-2014, 18:59
Ah ... for some reason, God knows why, we are classed as professional drivers!! That's why our licences are only valid for 5 years then. When I asked in the San Isidro office why we're down as professional drivers she told me that Tráfico just replicated our details from our UK licences when we changed them to Spanish ones so they have just continued that. Can't imagine why we were down as professional drivers in England though in the first place! Thanks doncarlos for that info.

kingbaker
22-07-2014, 22:51
Ah ... for some reason, God knows why, we are classed as professional drivers!! That's why our licences are only valid for 5 years then. When I asked in the San Isidro office why we're down as professional drivers she told me that Tráfico just replicated our details from our UK licences when we changed them to Spanish ones so they have just continued that. Can't imagine why we were down as professional drivers in England though in the first place! Thanks doncarlos for that info.

I think you need to check that out fully as pro drivers can drink less and get more fines and penalty points. I think that C1, C and C+E also PSV.......count as pros.;)

doncarlos
22-07-2014, 23:23
I think you need to check that out fully as pro drivers can drink less and get more fines and penalty points. I think that C1, C and C+E also PSV.......count as pros.;)

This is slightly misleading because although the permitted levels of blood alcohol and air alcohol are reduced when using the professional-type categories; the permitted levels depend on the type of vehicle that you’re driving at the time of the infraction. For example, if I drive a truck with a mass greater than 3 500 kg then the reduced levels are applicable. But if I drive my car than the higher levels are applied.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

You don’t necessary have to have the professional categories renewed; you can just renew the class B. The way to do this is just ask for the class B medical examination. If in the future you need the other classes then you’ll need to have another medical. I found this out my accident but it’s worth checking at traffico because I’m sure interpretations vary.

kingbaker
22-07-2014, 23:32
I wasn't sure but thanks for that. On the other hand, I can't think why the authorities would give out the wrong licence as legal issues are very precise. ;)

doncarlos
22-07-2014, 23:36
I wasn't sure but thanks for that. On the other hand, I can't think why the authorities would give out the wrong licenceas as legal issues are very precise. ;)

I don’t believe that anyone mentioned anything about giving out wrong licenses. The point is if you only have a class B medical, your license will only be renewed for class B irrespective of which other categories you have.

kingbaker
23-07-2014, 07:29
Most of the cost is the medical
I thought driving licenses were 10 years but maybe if you are older it's 5 years
Everyone pays

Hi BT in the EU most licences (not permits) are for 1, 3, 5 and 10 years and have then to be renewed and paid for each time.;)

kingbaker
23-07-2014, 07:34
I don’t believe that anyone mentioned anything about giving out wrong licenses. The point is if you only have a class B medical, your license will only be renewed for class B irrespective of which other categories you have.

Need to read back...... S&P got a pro licence and when quieried, was told that their Brit licence was pro!! He saya it wasn't!!:confused:

kingbaker
27-07-2014, 15:09
Any further developments.. Saltnpepper?:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontkno w:

doncarlos
28-07-2014, 05:46
Need to read back...... S&P got a pro licence and when quieried, was told that their Brit licence was pro!! He saya it wasn't!!:confused:

OK, perhaps I wasn't clear enough but if you have categories BTP C1, C1 + E, C, C + E, D1, D1 + E, D and D + E these are considered to be 'professional licenses', in Spain, whether you use them professionally or not.