PDA

View Full Version : Relocation Question from a stranger: Where should I live in Tenerife?

Leon
23-07-2014, 15:29
Hi all, I am new to this forum and am happy I found it. I am 55 years old and single considering to re-locate to Tenerife to begin with for six months. I have been doing some research on the web and see there are numerous nice areas to focus on. I am NOT looking for an area crowded with tourists day and night but would instead rather enjoy a relaxed place where I can interact with other English speaking expats. I enjoy an environment with green nature, flowers and trees etc and perhaps some variations in the weather as well without to much temperature dropping. I would also like to reside in an area not too fare away from shops, gyms and fitness centers, restaurants and such.

I understand there are expats communities from various countries living in Tenerife. Do these expats mix well with one another or do they tend to mix with their countrymen only?

What about rent: I have noticed various prices advertised on line but do take the info with a grain of salt (lot of scammers out there looking for a quick Buck). What is the average rent for a nice 1-2 bedroom apartment in a good area or neighborhood? What is your experience and or do you have any recommendations? All inputs are very much appreciated.

primrose
23-07-2014, 15:45
Hi all, I am new to this forum and am happy I found it. I am 55 years old and single considering to re-locate to Tenerife to begin with for six months. I have been doing some research on the web and see there are numerous nice areas to focus on. I am NOT looking for an area crowded with tourists day and night but would instead rather enjoy a relaxed place where I can interact with other English speaking expats. I enjoy an environment with green nature, flowers and trees etc and perhaps some variations in the weather as well without to much temperature dropping. I would also like to reside in an area not too fare away from shops, gyms and fitness centers, restaurants and such.

I understand there are expats communities from various countries living in Tenerife. Do these expats mix well with one another or do they tend to mix with their countrymen only?

What about rent: I have noticed various prices advertised on line but do take the info with a grain of salt (lot of scammers out there looking for a quick Buck). What is the average rent for a nice 1-2 bedroom apartment in a good area or neighborhood? What is your experience and or do you have any recommendations? All inputs are very much appreciated.

Do you want the North or the South of the Island,from reading your post I would think Puerto de la Cruz would be ideal for what you want,but you wouldn't get the same amount of English speaking ex-pats there as in the South.

bonitatime
23-07-2014, 17:03
In the South a possibility would be Playa San Juan
I have no recent experience with the golfs but would guess they will lack some if the amenities and have too many tourists for your description

andyandcollette
24-07-2014, 20:24
I would recommend La Caleta. For a six month let you pay anything from 800 euros a month up to the top end if you wanted. Have a look at the area and you will see it is very well placed to get access to the best that Tenerife has to offer. Look at the threads that on on here about la Caleta there is a lot of information. It is a small community but big enough to be diverse, most people speak english but the Local people who don't are great to help you learn spanish. Integration of nationalities is fantastic, honest it really is no clicks here with any one groups everyone gets on, yes from time to time personalities clash as they do with brits. I have some mates from South Africa, Holland, Ireland, Italy, Ukraine, the list goes on in the end you forget where everyone is from your just all enjoying tenerife

Just think in La Caleta you can; sit in a nice bar paying very reasonable prices, move to a local tapas bar paying even more reasonable prices, go to any one of quite a few select restaurants and some exceptional restaurants and pay a higher price (albeit much less than the same quality restaurant in any Uk town/city) . Alternatively eat in a local tapas bar or Pizza restaurant at the appropriate price. Another option, used by only a small number of the locals,is to simply buy a local wine from the supermarket and sit on the rocks and watch the world go by or the sun set.

This location really does have it all, international quality personal training facilities, some fab small bars and wonderful places to eat but most importantly it is quiet and it is respected by the people who live there, which resorts are not quite able to do because of so many tourists ( i do not want to upset anyone here as some communities in the resorts are truly very very nice places to be and people have invested, not only money but their own personal time in making them nice places to be with well run communities, a big thing if on a complex and I have a few on my list where I would like to be if we needed to be closer to the action)

But from La Caleta you can be very close the the action, with Los Cris only 15 mins in a taxi, Fanabe 6 mins in a taxi and if you drive you can be at the airport within 20 - 30 mins depending on traffic and about 45 minutes to Los Gi.

For what its worth a good two week holiday with a car and I bet you find the place for you. Get over and discover the whole place for your self its truly great wherever you decide to go.

languagefan
25-07-2014, 14:42
I'd say Adeje town which is not crowded like touristy spots, but very close commuting distance (pvt or pub transport) with los cristianos and las americas. Adeje is fairly well manicured because it is the administrative capital of south tenerife. It benefits from lovely views of the ocean, as well as the most unique and memorising views of the mountain. Rental prices for a 1-2 bedroom will range between 450-650 Euros/mo. Good luck :)

bobmcgregor
25-07-2014, 16:31
I'd say Adeje town which is not crowded like touristy spots, but very close commuting distance (pvt or pub transport) with los cristianos and las americas. Adeje is fairly well manicured because it is the administrative capital of south tenerife. It benefits from lovely views of the ocean, as well as the most unique and memorising views of the mountain. Rental prices for a 1-2 bedroom will range between 450-650 Euros/mo. Good luck :)
choice. It's lovely

great

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Great e. It's a lovely place

Margaretta
26-07-2014, 19:45
Go North my friend!
Really, as a previous poster suggested, my immediate reaction was that you would prefer the beautiful north and Puerto de la Cruz is wonderful.
Happy island, many nationalities and laid-back people but have a wandering holiday first and see for yourself.

languagefan
27-07-2014, 19:46
The weather has been changing for colder and cooler during last 5 years, and bear in mind that it is much colder and wetter up north.

Rickiebear
27-07-2014, 20:10
Hi, we bought in Puerto, just out of town, away from the tourist areas. The busy resorts may be great for a 2 week holiday, but not to live in. We like being in a local community.

I disagree that Puerto is cooler and wetter, than the south. It may be true in the upper areas of the Oratava Valley. Any cloud is very thin and soon disperses.

Puerto is a local town, as well as a resort. There is an English community, including an English library, school and church.

There is a good bus service to all parts of the island, including the airport and just 40 minutes to the capital Santa Cruz.

canarybird
28-07-2014, 12:01
As Rickiebear says, it's not so terribly cool and wet here in the north.

I've lived more than 30 years in Puerto de la Cruz and love the mild climate and greenery. Come and have a look for yourself.

Some of what we see here:

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Other/My-Life-in-the-Canary/i-c45vpf3/0/L/P1140484%20sm-L.jpg

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Other/My-Life-in-the-Canary/i-46m26Dj/0/L/P1210722-L.jpg

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Other/My-Life-in-the-Canary/i-STXdnwS/0/L/P1130759%20ed-L.jpg

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Other/My-Life-in-the-Canary/i-vNwB8Tz/0/L/P1210731-L.jpg

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Other/My-Life-in-the-Canary/i-b4zrZ34/0/L/P1220268-L.jpg

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Other/My-Life-in-the-Canary/i-Fs79s2Z/0/L/P1220269-L.jpg

Not bad is it!

Malteser Monkey
28-07-2014, 12:35
Welll I'm not sure CB maybe a few more pics :whistle::D:D

Bhamannette
28-07-2014, 12:42
I agree with the North contingent, have an apartment in South, but if we do eventually live in Tenerife full time my heart is set on Puerto de la Cruz, just got to convince OH

Malteser Monkey
28-07-2014, 12:50
I agree with the North contingent, have an apartment in South, but if we do eventually live in Tenerife full time my heart is set on Puerto de la Cruz, just got to convince OH

Ahhh leave him be ....take me instead :D:wink2: