PDA

View Full Version : Tax How do I deal with an embargo on a bank account?

lopin
04-08-2014, 12:43
Hi

Can anyone advise, what to do or where to go when dealing with EMBARGO ON BANK ACCOUNT

mike in chayofa
04-08-2014, 13:26
Can your bank not tell you who has applied the embargo?

If so, you could always approach the person/organisation to find out why.

lopin
04-08-2014, 13:42
It is my wife that has the embargo on her account. She has never worked here and all our house fees are paid. she does not have a car

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Just checked who has embargo the account, its Gobierno De Canarias

princessmonika
04-08-2014, 15:36
government unpaid taxes i think

Medman
04-08-2014, 16:27
Found this, hope it helps.

Why would anyone freeze my Spanish bank account?

In case you are blissfully unaware, the Spanish Tax Authority are able to put an ‘embargo’ on your Spanish bank account if you owe them money. In some cases, people are not even aware that they are in arrears at all until they get the news that their bank account is frozen.

There are many reasons why the Spanish Tax Authority might feel that they are justified in taking this action. Perhaps one of the most frequently encountered is the recovery of non-resident taxes in Spain. It can come as quite a blow to a non-resident who has come out for a relaxing two weeks in the sun to discover that their bank account is frozen, their electricity cut off and the tax man on their trail.

Non-resident imputed income tax is payable by all non-residents who are not renting out their Spanish holiday home. This is in addition to the IBI council tax that all property owners, including non-residents, must pay.

If you don’t keep up with your taxes, then ultimately The Spanish Tax Authority has the power to make their presence felt by other means. In Spain, an embargo on your Spanish bank account is an accepted method of settling arrears.

Non-residents who can be difficult to contact and are unaware of the systems here are particularly vulnerable. Faced with the inconvenience and upheaval of getting your bank account functioning again, you’re likely to have wished you’d taken a more direct route and paid your taxes in full in the first place.

princessmonika
04-08-2014, 16:36
you are correct medman -- my solicitor told all this to me- and has sorted at all out for me and returns my none resident taxes every year--

all other taxes are direct debit-- peace of mind

lopin
04-08-2014, 18:54
Thanks Medman, my wife has been a resident here for the past 4 years, while I am working and have a job, she does not work. Would this mean she was a resident ?

Medman
04-08-2014, 19:25
Thanks Medman, my wife has been a resident here for the past 4 years, while I am working and have a job, she does not work. Would this mean she was a resident ?

Sorry Lopin, I'm no expert on this. I just googled the above info as I was interested in the thread.This is the website that I found the info:

www.abacoadvisers.com/spain

Click on "Spain explained"

This was on the website too:

The use of the word ‘embargo’ in Spain is a lot more widespread than it is in many other countries. Whereas in countries such as the UK it might refer to an international boycott, in Spain it can refer to an action taken against your property or Spanish bank account. If it’s your bank account, then what it means in practice is that your account will be frozen without your permission. Again, a concept that is unusual for those coming from many other countries. Who would do such a thing?

An embargo might be placed on your Spanish bank account when you have an outstanding debt. It could be a missed mortgage repayment, a personal loan you’ve defaulted on, non-resident taxes or IBI property tax in Spain that remain unpaid.

It comes in the form of either a court order or from a government public administration office in Spain, such as the tax office (Agencia Tributaria). A private individual or a company can take an outstanding debt to court. Whilst a decision is made about how the debt will be settled, the judge will freeze your account. In the case of a Spanish government department, there is no need to go to court. Your account can be frozen and you may not even realise that you owe any money!

The debt might be settled by money being taken out of your bank account in Spain directly. If there is insufficient money there to cover the debt, then assets can be seized, including property, pensions or even jewellery.

It sounds harsh, and it is. Even more so when you consider that if your account is frozen your bills in Spain will not be paid. This can lead to services being disconnected with all the additional costs and inconvenience.

We don’t want to start the new year with too much gloom. Good housekeeping, in most cases, will prevent this from happening. Knowing how things work in Spain, along with the language, can help prevent more than just embarrassment.

Hope this helps, if not I'm sure another "more clued up" member will be along soon.

Christien
28-08-2014, 09:31
In Spain, an embargo on your bank account means an action that has been taken against your Spanish bank account. So, you might have got your account frozen even without your knowledge. Are you sure about the fact that you do not have any outstanding debt? Did you miss any mortgage repayment or a personal loan? Do you have any sort of property tax unpaid for so long? Please help yourself by knowing about these issues.