PDA

View Full Version : Tenerife Forum 'Great War' thread

martincrabb99
04-08-2014, 20:32
I lost two uncles at the Battle of Jutland they were on HMS Indefatigable which was hit by a shell disabling the steering and a second shell hit the magazine a huge explosion followed with the loss of a thousand men and boys out of a crew of 1013. Have any forum members got other accounts of relatives who were in the First World War?

04-08-2014, 20:43
I have retitled the thread and made it sticky as I'm sure there are many members with thoughts and memories.

My great uncle (grandad's brother) was killed on the last day of the war. Family say that it happened after the truce by soldiers looking for revenge when guards were down. Can't prove it but it is believed by family.

martincrabb99
04-08-2014, 20:55
I have retitled the thread and made it sticky as I'm sure there are many members with thoughts and memories.

My great uncle (grandad's brother) was killed on the last day of the war. Family say that it happened after the truce by soldiers looking for revenge when guards were down. Can't prove it but it is believed by family.

Thank you, I should also have said Great-uncles[emoji106]

Tshirt
04-08-2014, 21:27
My Grandad Jack, survived WW1, he was a Grenadier Guardsman, fought on the Somme and throughout France and Belgium. He was awarded the Military Medal for his actions, but carried a piece of shrapnel in his back until the day he died aged 92.

His Brother-in- Law Albert, my Great Uncle, was killed in Belgium, served with the Worcestershire Regiment. His body was never found. His name is on the wall at the Ploegsteert Memorial near Ypres.

My wife's Great Uncle was also killed in Belgium, his name is on the wall at the Tyne Cot cemetery.

We will never forget them.

martincrabb99
04-08-2014, 21:48
My Grandad Jack, survived WW1, he was a Grenadier Guardsman, fought on the Somme and throughout France and Belgium. He was awarded the Military Medal for his actions, but carried a piece of shrapnel in his back until the day he died aged 92.

His Brother-in- Law Albert, my Great Uncle, was killed in Belgium, served with the Worcestershire Regiment. His body was never found. His name is on the wall at the Ploegsteert Memorial near Ypres.

My wife's Great Uncle was also killed in Belgium, his name is on the wall at the Tyne Cot cemetery.

We will never forget them.

Correct we will never, ever forget their sacrifice. My Great uncles are remembered on the war memorial on Plymouth Hoe. Unfortunately a Sub-human stole the brass memorial plaque for scrap metal value. The Avon and Somerset Police recovered it and it was re-furnished and is now back in place.
I have two scrolls ordered from a site which I don't know if I'm allowed to name on the forum but they have a special place now so we can remember them at home as well[emoji106]

Ecky Thump
04-08-2014, 21:58
Correct we will never, ever forget their sacrifice. My Great uncles are remembered on the war memorial on Plymouth Hoe. Unfortunately a Sub-human stole the brass memorial plaque for scrap metal value. The Avon and Somerset Police recovered it and it was re-furnished and is now back in place.
I have two scrolls ordered from a site which I don't know if I'm allowed to name on the forum but they have a special place now so we can remember them at home as well[emoji106]

Martin, I'm sure that you can add the link to the scrolls.:)

primrose
04-08-2014, 22:00
Have you all lit your candle and turned your lights out. 10 o'clock till 11 o'clock.

Bazz
04-08-2014, 22:03
Have you all lit your candle and turned your lights out. 10 o'clock till 11 o'clock.

Yes, lights out although no candles ;)

martincrabb99
04-08-2014, 22:09

Hi Primrose, all lights out and in my thoughts .....all of them[emoji17]

Ecky Thump
04-08-2014, 22:09

Yes lights out in respect of all the brave men who fought in the "Great War" and for me a special thought for my Grandfather and Great Uncle who both suffered badly from the effects of Mustard Gas burns.

slodgedad
04-08-2014, 22:32

One light on, TV etc.off but must admit I cheated. Kept my modem live.

martincrabb99
04-08-2014, 22:38
One light on, TV etc.off but must admit I cheated. Kept my modem live.

That's ok the boys didn't even know what a modem was[emoji6]

martincrabb99
05-08-2014, 08:48
Martin, I'm sure that you can add the link to the scrolls.:)

This will be a first posting a link! I've done photographs and am progressing well[emoji6]

martincrabb99
05-08-2014, 12:08
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/05/nu2a5uga.jpg
This will be a first posting a link! I've done photographs and am progressing well[emoji6]

martincrabb99
05-08-2014, 12:11
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/05/nu2a5uga.jpg

Well there is a photograph of one of the scrolls and I ordered it through Forces reunited.

melm
05-08-2014, 18:48
what a waste of all these young lives. Still killing each other to this day . So stupid.

My grandfather fought in the 1st world war and although he lived until he was in his eighties I ever heard him mention it. Maybe too many bad memories.

martincrabb99
05-08-2014, 20:42
what a waste of all these young lives. Still killing each other to this day . So stupid.

My grandfather fought in the 1st world war and although he lived until he was in his eighties I ever heard him mention it. Maybe too many bad memories.

Most of the men returning from the Great War as it is described did not talk of their experiences. I think post traumatic stress was not heard of then, but just imagine the horrors they suffered and what went through their minds, the way they dealt with things was not to talk about the experience of real terror. Thank you for your reply and I agree with your sentiments.

imablue
05-08-2014, 21:36
My Dad never spoke about the conflict of war he went through in the 2nd world war,never mentioned what his dad or mates went through in ww1 maybe that is how people conducted themselves