PDA

View Full Version : Censorship and moderation of the forum

LUCKY
09-08-2014, 01:09
I have been a member of this great forum for over 2 years, so recently new. But i abhour the censorship of the post , It is not so long since we lost quite a few of the members of this forum. Humour keeps this great forum going .
As posted below by one of our mods.
"When you say that the posts were deleted, they weren't ... I moved the entire thread from 'General Tenerife Chat' to 'Learn Spanish because for some strange reason, I believed that the OP was a serious question.

As such, I didn't delete these posts, I moved them to 'Off topic' - which is exactly what they were.

Anyone wanting to actually learn something from an 'educational thread' wants answers, and not to have to wade through a load of drivel.

I will be going through this thread again shortly and again, all the garbage will be sent to 'Off topic'

There are plently of places on the forum to have fun and a laugh. This is not one of them "

I love your choice of word GARBAGE. i find it offensive and insulting.

I for one may not stand for this and i am seriously contenplating moving my pen and paper. posts to another forum.
To me it is an utter disgrace that you cannot see that this forum will nose dive without humour

DJ Dangerous
09-08-2014, 02:13
I think that you're over-reacting, Lucky.

The mods have a ****ty job to do - an impossible one, almost - trying to please everybody. And, they do it for free!

Humour is great, and adds to any internet forum, but it isn't the only ingredient.

I'm guilty of going OT from time to time myself, before you say "let he who is without sin, blah blah blah", but even I was particularly surprised when trying to read the thread on driver-less cars.

There were three or four pages of utter ****e between one on-topic post and the next.

You can understand a few posts, yeah, it's natural, but pages and pages?

That's over the top, in my humble opinion, and is more likely to SINK a forum, as opposed to making it.

Maybe some mods can be too rigid some times, but by the same turn, maybe some posters can be to flippant.

A good balance is good for a forum, almost any forum, I'd imagine, and for the last two or three years, this forum has suffered from over-moderation, under-moderation, and too much waffle.

Information gets lost with all of the joking, and people turn elsewhere.

Now, put your dummy back in and don't dare go off topic!

TOTO 99
09-08-2014, 05:54
I'm with Lucky on this one.

The "overworked" mods would have a lot less to do if they didn't spend their time moving humorous ( loosely termed ) posts around and changing titles.

Insulting posts or or posts that have caused someone to press the complaint button are all that need attention.

There are threads on here that tell people about busses and taxis etc. They probably all have some humour in them along the way but the information is there. It's generally at the begining when the serious answers come in.

A bit of fun here and there shouldn't be seen as a bad thing. If everyone who was guilty of posting a humorous comment stopped posting, the forum would be left with a handful of members.

I would add that we are lucky to have mods. It's someone to turn to if there's something we don't like. We rarely have to put up with a troll poster on here. It would ruin the forum if there was no control over that.

So the upshot, please leave it alone if it isn't obviously offensive or hasn't been reported. Less hassle all round.....:respect:

martincrabb99
09-08-2014, 08:52
I'm with no one and my views are my personal ones. I see both sides and I am not sitting on the fence. I am new to the forum and can on occasions if I really believe in something dig my heels in. We are all entitled to an opinion but I have seen some serious topics disintegrate and the meaning of the original is lost. I may have joined into humour myself but we should respect other forum members who wish to discuss serious issues. In a discussion we should respect each other and not personalise things it is after all a discussion where we all have personal views.......in my opinion.

Red Devil
09-08-2014, 08:58
I'm with DJD on this one.
Some posts are hilarious and I am amazed at the quick wit of some people, however, it is true that 9 out of 10 threads get hijacked and the original topic is lost, much to the annoyance of some people who are actually interested in the issue.
There are plenty of fun threads, on the whole cant you just stick to them?:D:D
Sorry Lucky etc but I just feel some people give up with it all sometimes because of this problem. Bring on more controversy to be discussed though by all means, a lively forum is a healthy forum.

Angusjim
09-08-2014, 09:00
God this thread is utter garbage:flatcap::raspberry2:

junglejim
09-08-2014, 09:32
Quite a lot of posts tend to go off topic either through digression or people making witty/or not comments - there are plenty of opportunities on this Forum to open a new thread for humour .
We are all guilty at times of going "off piste " and like it or not it's the Mod's job to focus in a topic - some of the other forums I'm on are more strictly controlled than here - arguing with a Mod in public leads to a ban!
Chill out everyone , we need this Forum to survive !

TOTO 99
09-08-2014, 09:41
I'd be interested to know if anybody had ever actually pressed the report button to complain about the humour.

There are some threads that are a no go area for the jokers ( including myself ).

On threads regarding animal cruelty for instance, or perhaps in the event of a tragedy.

Every joker on here has the greatest of respect in these circumstances.

Generally the threads are a conversation open to all members. Other than the above I see no reason why they shouldn't be light hearted....

DJ Dangerous
09-08-2014, 09:48
I'd be interested to know if anybody had ever actually pressed the report button to complain about the humour.

You've hit the nail on the head, perfectly. Couldn't have put it better myself.

Rather than hitting the report button on every post for four pages, people will probably just go elsewhere.

TOTO 99
09-08-2014, 10:03
You've hit the nail on the head, perfectly. Couldn't have put it better myself.

Rather than hitting the report button on every post for four pages, people will probably just go elsewhere.

With respect, there can be very few, if indeed any posters who don't get a reasonable answer to a question in one form or another. This forum has helped anyone that's asked. After that what more can we do? They're still free to go elsewhere.

I've seen plenty of questions answered and the OP is never seen again. I don't have a problem with that.

There's a big difference between what gets on someone's nerves and what is unacceptable behaviour.

Red Devil
09-08-2014, 10:17
I have been a member of this great forum for over 2 years, so recently new. But i abhour the censorship of the post , It is not so long since we lost quite a few of the members of this forum. Humour keeps this great forum going .
As posted below by one of our mods.
"When you say that the posts were deleted, they weren't ... I moved the entire thread from 'General Tenerife Chat' to 'Learn Spanish because for some strange reason, I believed that the OP was a serious question.

As such, I didn't delete these posts, I moved them to 'Off topic' - which is exactly what they were.

Anyone wanting to actually learn something from an 'educational thread' wants answers, and not to have to wade through a load of drivel.

I will be going through this thread again shortly and again, all the garbage will be sent to 'Off topic'

There are plently of places on the forum to have fun and a laugh. This is not one of them "

I love your choice of word GARBAGE. i find it offensive and insulting.

I for one may not stand for this and i am seriously contenplating moving my pen and paper. posts to another forum.
To me it is an utter disgrace that you cannot see that this forum will nose dive without humour

Problem is Lucky is that humour is very subjective, what one finds funny another doesnt and no-one has said there should not be any jokes etc, just that some threads should stop being hijacked by just a few people who cant resist injecting their own brand of humour into everything.
Nothing at all to do with no humour being on the forum, I think the mod was perfectly reasonable with his comment actually.

martincrabb99
09-08-2014, 10:37

There are some threads that are a no go area for the jokers ( including myself ).

On threads regarding animal cruelty for instance, or perhaps in the event of a tragedy.

Generally the threads are a conversation open to all members. Other than the above I see no reason why they shouldn't be light hearted....
I do think that this comment is an excellent point of view and a mix of serious discussion and humour is a very good mix...it's all about hitting the right balance.

Ecky Thump
09-08-2014, 10:42
The post below is an example of what is lost when posts are removed to the Off Topic thread, so I can understand why things are moved, someone asks a serious question and it's lost in amongst our humour and never answered.
However, I do believe that on the thread about Los and Las, then all that was needed was for the the first two or three replies to have been moved to another thread about the Spanish language and then the search facility would find the subject very easily.
Very difficult to know what is the correct thing to do, as humour on a forum is generally a spontaneous thing and without it you would be left with a very dull and at times boring forum with limited interest to many posters and readers.

Mods are damned if they do and damned if they don't!;)

Finished, no more response from me!:sorry:

Re: The future is here.

What about drink/driving, under the influence of drugs etc? who gets prosecuted?

Tshirt
09-08-2014, 11:10
I don't have a problem either way, if I want information from a thread I'll find it, and I'll have a laugh at the humour along the way. Life's too short.

LUCKY
09-08-2014, 11:25
When i started this thread, The thread title was "CENSORSHIP of the forum" Now the title as been changed to "Censorship and moderation of the forum" The question now is have i been censored or moderated ?. I have started many a thread on this forum and have had a few thread titles changed only a few i may add but why change the title? I have never started any threads that could be deemed offensive or the like.

Ecky Thump
09-08-2014, 11:30
When i started this thread, The thread title was "CENSORSHIP of the forum" Now the title as been changed to "Censorship and moderation of the forum" The question now is have i been censored or moderated ?. I have started many a thread on this forum and have had a few thread titles changed only a few i may add but why change the title? I have never started any threads that could be deemed offensive or the like.

The simple answer is that you have been moderated within the title, it makes the thread more open and interesting and opens it up for further and wider discussion.........
My opinion.:p

LUCKY
09-08-2014, 11:40
The simple answer is that you have been moderated within the title, it makes the thread more open and interesting and opens it up for further and wider discussion.........

Thank you for your explanation, Word of the day for me is Moderated ,

TOTO 99
09-08-2014, 11:45

Creep?.......or stirrer?......:lol:

Stealthiest answer thus far Ecky...:tiphat:

mike in chayofa
09-08-2014, 11:47
When i started this thread, The thread title was "CENSORSHIP of the forum" Now the title as been changed to "Censorship and moderation of the forum"

It wasn't me :)

Thread titles are usually changed to make them more descriptive of the content or to open up the subject on a wider basis. They can also be altered to increase visitors to the forum through search engines. Spelling mistakes are often corrected for the same reason.

Sometimes a member creates a thread that means absolutely nothing to anyone (apart from the poster). The most common of these is a thread titled 'For sale'. Very few people will take the time or effort to look at a thread like that. If the thread was titled 'For sale. Gents mountain bike' interested people will take a look and hopefully the poster will make a sale.

Ecky Thump
09-08-2014, 11:48
Creep?.......or stirrer?......:lol:

Stealthiest answer thus far Ecky...:tiphat:

Creeping and stirring in the workplace is the requisite of a good foreman, something I never achieved....or wanted!:wink:

junglejim
09-08-2014, 11:51
:popcorn:... :twak:

LUCKY
09-08-2014, 11:57

Thread titles are usually changed to make them more descriptive of the content or to open up the subject on a wider basis. They can also be altered to increase visitors to the forum through search engines. Spelling mistakes are often corrected for the same reason.

Sometimes a member creates a thread that means absolutely nothing to anyone (apart from the poster). The most common of these is a thread titled 'For sale'. Very few people will take the time or effort to look at a thread like that. If the thread was titled 'For sale. Gents mountain bike' interested people will take a look and hopefully the poster will make a sale.

Thank you , Oh and by the way is the bike still for sale ?

Ecky Thump
09-08-2014, 11:59

The reply....."it wasn't me", time to shut up Mike, you were on a winner there, people thought it was you!

"For Sale" Vs "For Sale, Mountain Bike". The simple "For sale" opens up inquisitive minds who never wanted to buy a mountain bike, but now they have read it, the seed is sown and they buy it.....mind tricks that sales people use.

I love a good discussion, even off topic!:wink:

Moderator___
09-08-2014, 12:03
..... The "overworked" mods would have a lot less to do if they didn't spend their time moving humorous ( loosely termed ) posts around and changing titles.

Insulting posts or or posts that have caused someone to press the complaint button are all that need attention.

That isn't strictly true - see below

I would add that we are lucky to have mods. It's someone to turn to if there's something we don't like. We rarely have to put up with a troll poster on here. It would ruin the forum if there was no control over that.

Spamming and trolling are a major problem on a forum as popular as this.

I don't know whether members have acces to the following information. If not, here are a few statisics:

78777 Spammers Denied Registration
2864 Spammers Permanently Banned
2943 Spammers submitted to StopForumSpam
3003 Spammers submitted to Akismet
15483 Spammy Posts Automatically Moderated

TOTO 99
09-08-2014, 12:10
That isn't strictly true - see below

I don't know whether members have acces to the following information. If not, here are a few statisics:

That backs up my point, the trolls are thankfully kept to a minimum. That takes time.

LUCKY
09-08-2014, 12:16

And thats before the first cup of tea on a morning !

Moderator___
09-08-2014, 12:30
........some of the other forums I'm on are more strictly controlled than here - arguing with a Mod in public leads to a ban!

Technically, it is the same on this forum. Moderating decisions are final and a post on open forum about a moderating decion is not allowed and the post will be removed.

Depending on the severity/offensiveness of the post, the moderating team have several options available.

We can send a message to the offending member.

We can issue an infraction of 'however many' points. 10 Infraction points within a certain time will result in a ban for a specific period - this is automatically performed by the system.

We can ban a member for a day, a week, a month, permanently .... and anything in between.

Banning is not something that we enjoy and we try to resolve issues firstly. However if a member refuses to understand and comply with our terms and conditions, we have no alternative.

This entire thread actually criticises moderating decisions and should technically be removed. Having said that, I have decided to let it rum because I feel that it may give some insight into what happens 'behind the scenes'

I am (at this point) not sure whether admin or another moderator will see things the same way.

However, members can always contact a moderator privately and ask that a matter is reconsidered. The answer will be:

a) OK

b) No

c) The moderating team will discuss the stuation.

TOTO 99
09-08-2014, 12:40
Lol Moderator.....I've told Lucky all this loads of times but does he listen?

Now, where's that "Knucle Under" smiley....:whistle:

kingbaker
09-08-2014, 13:10

Now, where's that "Knucle Under" smiley....:whistle:

Ive told Lucky this many times also, but will he listen!!!! :(:D:D

He just wants to play with his pounds and ounces and thruppeny bits!!
Knuckle down and Catch up Lucky!!!:p:p:p:D:D

Malteser Monkey
09-08-2014, 14:16

I agree with points on all of the posts here - but I have to add that a bit of humour encourages new members to stay, I'm sure.

Makes them feel welcomed and part of the forum. IMHO

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

"A sense of humor is part of the art of leadership, of getting along with people, of getting things done" - Dwight D. Eisenhower

I like Ecky Thumps 's ..."moved" quote here:D

martincrabb99
09-08-2014, 14:19
I agree with points on all of the posts here - but I have to add that a bit of humour encourages new members to stay, I'm sure.

It also keeps me chirpy during the day!

TOTO 99
09-08-2014, 14:19

Sadly a lack of it will drive some of the old members away...if it hasn't already...:(

Malteser Monkey
09-08-2014, 14:23
Sadly a lack of it will drive some of the old members away...if it hasn't already...:(

Old members ? blimey that just leaves me and 3 others then....ooops sorry:D:bowdown:

Ecky Thump
09-08-2014, 14:30
Here we are having a discussion about moderating and censorship and posts like the ones below are moved to "off topic", now call me stupid (joking), but is this not a prime example of what makes members feel a bit frustrated?

Re: Censorship and moderation of the forum
Originally Posted by TOTO 99
Now, where's that "Knucle Under" smiley....

Careful now, our posts have already been moderated to the "off topic bin" and I should add...selective moderating as other humorous ones remain.

Malteser Monkey
09-08-2014, 14:32
Here we are having a discussion about moderating and censorship and posts like the ones below are moved to "off topic", now call me stupid (joking), but is this not a prime example of what makes feel a bit frustrated?

Careful now, our posts have already been moderated to the "off topic bin" and I should add...selective moderating as other humorous ones remain.

Ecks that's post 28 on the previous page mate - I'm confused

nope got it now both the quote and your post have been moved now I see - pray continue.....goes to look for gafas

TOTO 99
09-08-2014, 15:23
Here we are having a discussion about moderating and censorship and posts like the ones below are moved to "off topic", now call me stupid (joking), but is this not a prime example of what makes members feel a bit frustrated?

Well as far as I can see, your post has the word "moderated" in it and mine had the word "moderator" in it...Both deemed off topic in a thread about moderation.....:wall:

Ecky Thump
09-08-2014, 15:39
Well as far as I can see, your post has the word "moderated" in it and mine had the word "moderator" in it...Both deemed off topic in a thread about moderation.....:wall:

I can understand a post being deleted if it refers to someone in a offensive manner, or even uncalled for criticism, but posts that are no more than a observation on a subject/topic that is within the thread to be moved is something that is beyond me, it appears to be a way of controlling a discussion on a forum.

primrose
09-08-2014, 15:49
Perhaps everybody should be like quite a few of the detractors on here and only post when there is something in it for them and are quick to criticise others that have kept this Forum going, if you don't like the Forum how it is the answer is simple post more, be honest and up front push the report button if you don't like the humour, but without the regular and quick witted posters this would be a very dull forum indeed. I posted about my struggle with the Health Service here and there are a couple of humerous posts on there, yes it was a serious subject but Ecky's post made me laugh out loud and that was just what I needed.

kingbaker
09-08-2014, 15:57
Dont forget we need all things in moderation.........even moderation.!!!!!!!!:D:p;)

Is that alright witt you Mr. Lucky???:D:D:D

Ecky Thump
09-08-2014, 15:57
Perhaps everybody should be like quite a few of the detractors on here and only post when there is something in it for them, and are quick to criticise others that have kept this Forum going, if you don't like the Forum how it is the answer is simple post more, be honest and up front push the report button if you don't like the humour, but without the regular and quick witted posters this would be a very dull forum indeed. I posted about my struggle with the Health Service here and there are a couple of humerous posts on there, yes it was a serious subject but Ecky's post made me laugh out loud and that was just what I needed.

Well said Primrose

And here is part of the posts with the intended humour.....

Re: My latest experience with the Spanish health service
Originally Posted by primrose
My experience is from this morning but title of this thread of my experience of the Health Service was relevant to what happened today, also not happy about the Brain Scan I have in my cupboard for OH with no appointment for results till the end of November.Just wish I had put a complaint in while I was there.

My reply.....
I know that we should not expect all services and treatments to be the same in Tenerife as it is in the Uk and that every case is different, but having to wait nearly four months appears to be ridiculous, when I had a brain scan after a fall from a ladder, which resulted in a fractured skull, a bleed on the brain and a double fracture of my back, I had the results of the scan within 24 hours. I would have thought that a consultant would have viewed the scan and be able to give his professional opinion in just a few days.

#PS. If anyone makes a remark about finding my brain, then I shall treat it as humour and won't be offended.#

primrose
09-08-2014, 16:09
Well said Primrose

And here is part of the posts with the intended humour.....

Re: My latest experience with the Spanish health service
Originally Posted by primrose
My experience is from this morning but title of this thread of my experience of the Health Service was relevant to what happened today, also not happy about the Brain Scan I have in my cupboard for OH with no appointment for results till the end of November.Just wish I had put a complaint in while I was there.

My reply.....
I know that we should not expect all services and treatments to be the same in Tenerife as it is in the Uk and that every case is different, but having to wait nearly four months appears to be ridiculous, when I had a brain scan after a fall from a ladder, which resulted in a fractured skull, a bleed on the brain and a double fracture of my back, I had the results of the scan within 24 hours. I would have thought that a consultant would have viewed the scan and be able to give his professional opinion in just a few days.

#PS. If anyone makes a remark about finding my brain, then I shall treat it as humour and won't be offended.#

Absolutely nothing wrong with that, a serious reply but with a twist at the end that wasn't offensive or meant to make light of the situation and made me laugh ,but wonder if even that will be allowed now.Seems like humor and wit are not wanted on this Forum and I find that quite sad.

DJ Dangerous
09-08-2014, 16:11
I can understand a post being deleted if it refers to someone in a offensive manner, or even uncalled for criticism

Or posts being moved to Off-Topic when they're off topic...

Ecky Thump
09-08-2014, 16:21
If every "off topic" post made on this forum was to be moved, then on a large number of threads you would find that after two or three posts the thread dies a death. I have looked back at some of the old threads that only had a couple of replies and found that they had been brought back to life by the input of one little bit of "off topic" humour or remark.

TOTO 99
09-08-2014, 16:24
If every "off topic" post made on this forum was to be moved, then on a large number of threads you would find that after two or three posts the thread dies a death. I have looked back at some of the old threads that only had a couple of replies and found that they had been brought back to life by the input of one little bit of "off topic" humour or remark.

Yay...we've been reinstated.......I only realised it when looking back and the post numbers had changed again....what a nonsense!

Ecky Thump
09-08-2014, 16:28
Yay...we've been reinstated.......I only realised it when looking back and the post numbers had changed again....what a nonsense!

Yes you could say that, or common sense!;):D

Moderator___
09-08-2014, 16:29
I can understand a post being deleted if it refers to someone in a offensive manner, or even uncalled for criticism........

FACT - the only posts that are ever deleted are Spam posts. Nothing else.

Postings may be moved if appropriate.

Postings may not be visible to you but this does not mean they have been removed. All these posts are still within the forum. This has saved legal action on several occassions.

Ecky Thump
09-08-2014, 16:35
FACT - the only posts that are ever deleted are Spam posts. Nothing else.

This has saved legal action on several occassions.

I agree with you totally and have never said or intentionally inferred that in my posts, but I do believe that offensive posts should be permanently deleted! . :-)

kingbaker
09-08-2014, 17:47
Old members ? blimey that just leaves me and 3 others then....ooops sorry:D:bowdown:

In yer dweeeems monkey!!!:D

admin
09-08-2014, 20:40

If you read forum rules you will see that thread titles are not allowed to contain ALL CAPITALS. This is a rule that has always existed. I'm surprised you weren't aware of it, as a long standing member. :)

As your thread is commenting more about the issue off moderation by moving posts to off topic, rather than censorship, which would in fact relate to removal of posts for no good reason, the title was changed to reflect that. It states quite clearly in the rules that thread titles should not be in capitals and should reflect the content of the thread accurately, as this helps people understand the content of the thread and decide if they want to read it or not.

I hope this answers your question adequately. :)

warbey
09-08-2014, 21:11

About 4 Years ago I started a Thread to ask a Question about something connected with San Eugenio.

A couple of friendly replies came through which didn't address or answer the Question.

Another Person asked another different question around Post 4 and that was that.

If I were a Moderator, I would probably use similar words to Mike.

Ive stopped Posting to an extent because Ive got a bit bored with Frivolity, which

falls short of Humour in My book.

It's still the ONLY Forum I go on though, and it's where Friends are..

Count Yourself Lucky Lucky.!

Malteser Monkey
09-08-2014, 21:38
:hug:
Perhaps everybody should be like quite a few of the detractors on here and only post when there is something in it for them and are quick to criticise others that have kept this Forum going, if you don't like the Forum how it is the answer is simple post more, be honest and up front push the report button if you don't like the humour, but without the regular and quick witted posters this would be a very dull forum indeed. I posted about my struggle with the Health Service here and there are a couple of humerous posts on there, yes it was a serious subject but Ecky's post made me laugh out loud and that was just what I needed.

BINGO BINGO !! NAIL ON THE HEAD. !!:c2:

Or posts being moved to Off-Topic when they're off topic...

But WHO decides the OP or the mods or Mike :whistle: you will get me one day mike ... some old conversations.........:D:hug:

DJ Dangerous
10-08-2014, 14:15

About 4 Years ago I started a Thread to ask a Question about something connected with San Eugenio.

A couple of friendly replies came through which didn't address or answer the Question.

Another Person asked another different question around Post 4 and that was that.

If I were a Moderator, I would probably use similar words to Mike.

Ive stopped Posting to an extent because Ive got a bit bored with Frivolity, which

falls short of Humour in My book.

It's still the ONLY Forum I go on though, and it's where Friends are..

Count Yourself Lucky Lucky.!

Perfectly put.

Humour is great, as are smilies, but all in balance.

:hug:

But WHO decides the OP or the mods or Mike :whistle: you will get me one day mike ... some old conversations.........:D:hug:

We use the forum for free, oft with little concern what repercussions our posts may have on the very forum which we use, free of charge.
So we have to kick and scream sometimes when we don't get we want, and then put our dummy back in and move on.

I'm yet to meet somebody who has successfully pleased everybody!

Malteser Monkey
10-08-2014, 14:18
I'm yet to meet somebody who has successfully pleased everybody!

Well there was this bloke I met once...................:D

all in moderation keeping on topic:D

warbey
11-08-2014, 20:37

x

The End

LUCKY
11-08-2014, 21:14

x

The End

Looking forward to Part 2 The Sequal :flatcap::flatcap: