PDA

View Full Version : Is it true that Monarch/Cosmos are ceasing trading?

Chine
08-09-2014, 19:36
A pal of mine works at bham airport and whilst he was at work yesterday the topic of conversation was monarch airlines and cosmos both ceasing trading in the next 2weeks , I did say that I knew about them stopping flying from east mids from April and the staff cuts (1000+) jobs going , but apparently they are bankrupt I hope something gets sorted I'm flying to Malaga with them on the 19th!!!!!

LUCKY
08-09-2014, 20:20
A pal of mine works at bham airport and whilst he was at work yesterday the topic of conversation was monarch airlines and cosmos both ceasing trading in the next 2weeks , I did say that I knew about them stopping flying from east mids from April and the staff cuts (1000+) jobs going , but apparently they are bankrupt I hope something gets sorted I'm flying to Malaga with them on the 19th!!!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28833343 :flatcap:

imablue
08-09-2014, 20:28
¿.. Maybe not from East Midlands then ..????

Suzanne
08-09-2014, 21:02
Phew, thank you imablue for the link, as I have purchased tickets for my son and his girlfriend for next june/july from manchester, but looks like they are ok.

Chine
08-09-2014, 21:03
Maybe I wasn't clear I meant ceasing trading completely as in kaput

imablue
08-09-2014, 21:09
Phew, thank you imablue for the link, as I have purchased tickets for my son and his girlfriend for next june/july from manchester, but looks like they are ok.

Hope you are .......Lucky.. he posted .....

Leam_Lin
09-09-2014, 07:04
Looks like we may be stranded in Tenerife, flying out with Monarch from Birmingham 18th September!

Chine
09-09-2014, 08:03
Looks like we may be stranded in Tenerife, flying out with Monarch from Birmingham 18th September!

Hopefully they will snare some more investors and all will be ok , we don't want you stranded in tenerife now do we :whistle:

marbro8
09-09-2014, 18:05
after reading this thread i e-mailed monarch yesterday because we fly out with them to tenerife in october but back with ryanair and they replied today saying "we are aware of the recent press speculation however it is very much business as normal" but having said that i suppose they just wouldn't come out and admit it would they???

LUCKY
09-09-2014, 18:49
Hope you are .......Lucky.. he posted .....

And LUCKY as posted again :flatcap::flatcap:

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/monarch-airlines-mulls-cutting-1-175712313.html

http://www.redmayne.co.uk/research/newsView.htm?nID=149042

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/01/monarch-airlines-boeing-idUSL6N0PC4BL20140701

marbro8
09-09-2014, 19:15
And LUCKY as posted again :flatcap::flatcap:

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/monarch-airlines-mulls-cutting-1-175712313.html

http://www.redmayne.co.uk/research/newsView.htm?nID=149042

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/01/monarch-airlines-boeing-idUSL6N0PC4BL20140701to be honest apart from the fact that over 1000 people will lose their jobs which is a travesty:(,it looks like they will be in direct compertition with ryanair easyjet so that will be a good thing for us holidaymakers if they fly to tenerife

Chine
09-09-2014, 20:23
to be honest apart from the fact that over 1000 people will lose their jobs which is a travesty:(,it looks like they will be in direct compertition with ryanair easyjet so that will be a good thing for us holidaymakers if they fly to tenerife

Agreed there mate ! If monarch go down it will give RA and easyjet a bit more of a strangle hold on prices , I have a customer who took voluntary redundancy from Thomas Cook this year because they were making there fleet smaller and reducing flights to the canaries by 50% it was either take the money or a reduced hours contract , monarch need to find further investors similar to 2009 or prices with other airlines will rocket !

trevorife2
10-09-2014, 07:26
If monarch go bust then i will walk around the patch in just womens underwear. !!!! .. (Then again aint that the norm around the patch ?? )

kingbaker
10-09-2014, 09:15
Speak for yourself !!!:D

Rodders
12-09-2014, 08:47
The plug is due to be pulled on the 31st October.

Ecky Thump
12-09-2014, 10:27

Where has this latest news come from, I can't find it on the Internet???

LUCKY
12-09-2014, 10:32

Not according to LGW. :flatcap:

http://www.directline-flights.co.uk/searchResultsFlight.cfm?xmlID=xml1BCFCBDC93947E7EC 528CFD523368E4E&fromCustomSearch=4&fromForm

Ecky Thump
12-09-2014, 10:38
Not according to LGW. :flatcap:

http://www.directline-flights.co.uk/searchResultsFlight.cfm?xmlID=xml1BCFCBDC93947E7EC 528CFD523368E4E&fromCustomSearch=4&fromForm

For the sake of forum members who have flights booked with Monarch, let's hope that Rodders post is a mistake!

Thanks Lucky :-)

Fivepence
12-09-2014, 11:29
Companies don't give prior warning before they cease trading.
Up to the announcement, everything is hunky dorey.

I seem to remember talk of Monarch demise last year, but not sure!

Ecky Thump
12-09-2014, 11:42
Companies don't give prior warning before they cease trading.
Up to the announcement, everything is hunky dorey.

I seem to remember talk of Monarch demise last year, but not sure!

All I can find is this BBC report.

BBC News - Monarch airlines plans to slash workforce by up to 30%
www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28833343
18 Aug 2014 - Monarch Airlines may cut as many as 1000 jobs as part of a major ...

Fivepence
12-09-2014, 12:21

18 Aug 2014 - Monarch Airlines may cut as many as 1000 jobs as part of a major ...

I think I saw it suggested on a forum thread last year Eric, but I'm not sure.
The thread may have been about a flight/holiday company going bust or it may have been on a thread discussing the profitability of Ryanair, which by their annual accounts are cash rich.

Unless I dreamt it. :zzz:

Angusjim
12-09-2014, 12:23

Don't you just hate people who use google to make a point:cheeky::laugh:

Malteser Monkey
12-09-2014, 12:29
Monarch - Cosmos - too pricey for you Scots:cheeky:

Angusjim
12-09-2014, 12:33
Monarch - Cosmos - too pricey for you Scots:cheeky:

Yes they are cause they don't fly from Scotland:crazy:

Ecky Thump
12-09-2014, 12:37
Don't you just hate people who use google to make a point:cheeky::laugh:

Especially when it comes to RANGERS Vs celtic :crying2:

Malteser Monkey
12-09-2014, 12:38
Yes they are cause they don't fly from Scotland:crazy:

:laugh::laugh:

nuff said

Angusjim
12-09-2014, 12:39
Especially when it comes to RANGERS Vs celtic :crying2:

Easy Ecky you will get a visit fae the boys I think that how you spell boys:wink: :laugh:

DjedwardSmith
15-09-2014, 16:27
Well, cheers for the additional worry prior to flying out for a week at the start of October lol. Let's hope it's just gossip.

Ecky Thump
15-09-2014, 17:11
Well, cheers for the additional worry prior to flying out for a week at the start of October lol. Let's hope it's just gossip.

The latest news to emerge today is that Monarch are CONSIDERING coming out of the long hail sector and are going to concentrate on the more profitable routes, which they hope will let them compete more successfully with the other budget airlines.
Fingers crossed, it appears to be better news for you.:-)

Bobby
15-09-2014, 17:39
I to have flights booked with Monarch but I was also worried as I have a euro prepaid card with them that I save my holiday money on. I have been in touch with them and have received the following reply.

Good morning,

Thank you for contacting Monarch Travel Money.

Please see the two sections below, these are from our terms & conditions via the website.

22. Fund Protection
As a responsible e-money issuer, Wirecard Card Solutions ensures that once it has received your funds they are deposited in a secure account, specifically for the purpose of redeeming transactions made by your Prepaid Card. In the event that Wirecard Card Solutions becomes insolvent funds that you have loaded which have arrived with and been deposited by Wirecard Card Solutions are protected against the claims made by creditors.

23. Prepaid Card Issuer
Please note, Newcastle Building Society (NBS), the original issuer of the Monarch MasterCard® Prepaid Card, has transferred its Prepaid Cards Division to Wirecard Card Solutions Limited (WDCS). WDCS, authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK and covered by the Financial Ombudsman Service, is the new issuer of your card. The Terms and Conditions and any fees relating to your card remain unchanged. This also does not affect the status of your card or statutory rights in any way. Should you have any queries regarding this matter don't hesitate to contact us, Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm on 0845 351 0072 or email support@monarchcard.co.uk.
For foreign exchange services we use FTT Global Limited which is registered with HM Revenue & Customers (Registration number 12231114) and is authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority as a Payment Services Institution (Registration Number 503228) or such other currency exchange service providers that we make known to you prior to your use of foreign currency services.

Please do not hesitate to contact us, should you require any further information.

Hopefully my savings are safe.

trevorife2
15-09-2014, 19:50
I think the op got confused with phones 4 U ????

warbey
15-09-2014, 20:31
This Scottish Independence is causing some troubles.................:laugh::laugh:

I reckon Monarch will surely be linked with ABTA...??

so that should protect Everyone.........................

obs
16-09-2014, 16:13
As we have several flights booked with Monarch already, my wife wrote to them to ask the question direct of Monarch.

They have written back to confirm that they are not 'going bust', but they are making changes to the company, mostly Long Haul routes.

Today they have phoned her(!!!!) to confirm the letter. They are in the process of restructuring the company, and changes will be made, BUT the company is not going down the tubes, just suffering bad press. In fact the lady told my wife that it is quite upsetting for Monarch employees who are reading/hearing these comments.

Finally, she said that there will be some positive press releases in a couple of weeks time.

We look forward to reading them.

Fivepence
16-09-2014, 18:09
I think the op got confused with phones 4 U ????

This illustrates perfectly what happens when a company ceases trading, nobody knows until it actually happens. :sorry:

marbro8
16-09-2014, 18:20
This illustrates perfectly what happens when a company ceases trading, nobody knows until it actually happens. :sorry:my wife worked at a company called nylonic for 21 years,their head office was based in rickmansworth, but she worked as manager for the brownhills branch, she went into work one morning and was typing away when 2 blokes came in and took the chair from under her and told her to stop typing because they were the receivers and the company had gone bust???,no one knew or suspected a thing:dontknow:

Ecky Thump
16-09-2014, 19:00
my wife worked at a company called nylonic for 21 years,their head office was based in rickmansworth, but she worked as manager for the brownhills branch, she went into work one morning and was typing away when 2 blokes came in and took the chair from under her and told her to stop typing because they were the receivers and the company had gone bust???,no one knew or suspected a thing:dontknow:

I'm not suggesting that Monarch/Cosmos are in any danger of being placed into receivership, but the example that Marbro has just given is exactly how large companies on the brink of collapse operate and will tell employees, customers and shareholders that the company's future is firm and healthy and that they are investing into the future, they will often offer last minute major new deals and incentives to bring more money into their bank accounts. The last thing the company would want is a sudden drop in their assets as this would mean less money in their personal pockets on the day that the receivers are called in!

warbey
16-09-2014, 19:25
As this Company has ordered 30 new Boeing 737-8 's recently, I reckon that bears out what the Company is saying.

Persistent rumours also upset the Public (Us) and cause a drop in Bookings.

As well as The Aircraft flying, They have a thriving Maintenance Branch with People in many Locations.

Two old Airbus 300's have just been retired, after being kept Flying by Their expertise.

Ecky Thump
16-09-2014, 19:49
As this Company has ordered 30 new Boeing 737-8 's recently, I reckon that bears out what the Company is saying..

**(Farnborough/Luton, UK – 14, July 2014) – The Monarch Group, the UK’s leading independent travel group, today announces that it has chosen Boeing as its preferred bidder for its narrow-bodied fleet replacement. The Group is in the process of finalising terms and working towards signing a Purchase Agreement with Boeing for the purchase of 30 next-generation Boeing 737 MAX 8 aircraft, with options on a further 15 aircraft.**

I'm not sure that Monarch have actually placed the order, I thought that their latest press release (above) was showing intent to buy new planes.:pray:

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Persistent rumours also upset the Public (Us) and cause a drop in Bookings.

The same upset is being caused here in Scotland with all the talk and rumours involved in the upcoming elections and this does not involve just a few jobs and holidays, but thousands of peoples futures..we can't just stick our heads in the sand and think or say that it might not happen.:sorry:

martincrabb99
16-09-2014, 20:51
I could post what I think but that would be classed as speculation and as you know I always prefer facts!

Ecky Thump
16-09-2014, 20:52
I could post what I think but that would be classed as speculation and as you know I always prefer facts!

You have to speculate to accumulate!:laugh:

warbey
16-09-2014, 20:54
You have to speculate to accumulate!:laugh:

So They bought new Planes.....................

and back on Topic)..................:pray::pray::wave:

Ecky Thump
16-09-2014, 20:55
So They bought new Planes.....................

and back on Topic)..................:pray::pray::wave:

Did they, or did they not???

bonitatime
17-09-2014, 07:30
Their planes were still landing yesterday

Ecky Thump
17-09-2014, 08:33
Their planes were still landing yesterday

That's good, as it's the recommended way of letting the passengers off - parachutes, I think are over rated!:crylaughing:

martincrabb99
17-09-2014, 09:04
That's good, as it's the recommended way of letting the passengers off - parachutes, I think are over rated!:crylaughing:

Thank goodness I've never used one...I have been tempted to throw some passengers out without a parachute[emoji6]

LUCKY
21-09-2014, 11:00
:flatcap::airplane::airplane:

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/business/Companies/article1461747.ece

martincrabb99
21-09-2014, 11:05

The latest ' facts '...

Ecky Thump
21-09-2014, 11:07

Thanks for the link Lucky, it certainly appears that there is some truth in the rumblings that Monarch/Cosmos are financially in the mire. :-(

marbro8
21-09-2014, 11:17
Thanks for the link Lucky, it certainly appears that there is some truth in the rumblings that Monarch/Cosmos are financially in the mire. :-(it's a bit of a vicious circle because potential customers reading that will not book with them again until it's all sorted out,so bringing another cash shortage:dontknow:,i just hope that they fulfill their obligation to fly us to tenerife in a few weeks:(

Ecky Thump
21-09-2014, 11:40
it's a bit of a vicious circle because potential customers reading that will not book with them again until it's all sorted out,so bringing another cash shortage:dontknow:,i just hope that they fulfill their obligation to fly us to tenerife in a few weeks:(

At this stage, all you can do is as you say "hope", but if you look at it logically, if there are new investors in Monarch, then the first action would be to save the profitable routes and yours is sure to be one of them!

marbro8
21-09-2014, 11:49
At this stage, all you can do is as you say "hope", but if you look at it logically, if there are new investors in Monarch, then the first action would be to save the profitable routes and yours is sure to be one of them!logic??? me???:lol:

Ecky Thump
21-09-2014, 12:45
logic??? me???:lol:

Sandra says that you are a very logical person, you go out - get pished - fall over - LOGIC!:lol:

martincrabb99
21-09-2014, 13:17
Sandra says that you are a very logical person, you go out - get pished - fall over - LOGIC!:lol:

Surely not! I just do not believe it!

LUCKY
21-09-2014, 13:23
Surely not! I just do not believe it!

Me neither , surely talking a load of Pish :flatcap:

Ecky Thump
21-09-2014, 13:29
Me neither , surely talking a load of Pish :flatcap:

You've heard of the American singing group called............................. Talking Heads.

Well in Walsall marbro8 and his Brother in Law are known as the ......Pish Heads !!

:lol:

West mids tyke
21-09-2014, 20:07
never met marbro8 but if hes not in the reef on december 13th would be great to meet you when my boys barnsley takeover walsall, pm me mate if you in uk and we sort out

Fivepence
23-09-2014, 12:34
If this doesn't happen, it could spell trouble http://www.ttgdigital.com/news/city-and-finance/monarch-group-set-to-be-acquired-by-investment-fund/4692805.article

Ecky Thump
23-09-2014, 12:44
If this doesn't happen, it could spell trouble http://www.ttgdigital.com/news/city-and-finance/monarch-group-set-to-be-acquired-by-investment-fund/4692805.article

Greybull are the company that were involved with Comet Electrical in 2012, just before it collapsed.???

martincrabb99
23-09-2014, 12:54

Good information...thanks

marbro8
23-09-2014, 17:41
Greybull are the company that were involved with Comet Electrical in 2012, just before it collapsed.???how long did comet last after they took over? if it was more than 3 weeks we are ok:laugh:

Fivepence
23-09-2014, 17:50
Sorry everyone but i should have said that I found the link concerning Monarch that I posted earlier from their Twitter timeline here
https://twitter.com/Monarch/status/514372999190179840

So the info was actually provided by Monarch themselves.

Rodders
29-09-2014, 08:17
Latest info I have been given, it may have already been posted on here?

Greybull Capital has been confirmed as the preferred bidder to acquire Monarch from the group's shareholders, principally the Mantegazza family.
Completion of a deal remains subject to the successful outcome of ongoing negotiations but could be concluded by the end of October, the airline and travel group announced.
Greybull then intends to provide “significant capital” to Monarch in order to grow the group and to capitalise on the long-established and trusted brand name, a statement said this morning.
Greybull has a focus on investing in private companies across a diversified range of industry sectors.
“It views an investment in Monarch as a long-term opportunity in a very strong brand with great potential in all of its markets, and intends to be supportive shareholders throughout Monarch’s next chapter,” the statement said.
“Conditional upon the successful conclusion of these negotiations with Monarch stakeholders, a transaction is expected to complete towards the end of October.”
The group revealed in August that it was carrying out a strategic review and identified a number of cost reduction initiatives that needed to be addressed in order to compete effectively in the scheduled European short-haul low-cost market.
A number of unspecified initiatives have been set in motion to create a far stronger group with the support of employees, unions, third-party suppliers and regulators.
No details of the financial terms were disclosed.

Ecky Thump
29-09-2014, 09:56
What's not clear yet is what role Greybull Investments are going to play, are they putting money into Monarch for the company growth or are they investing as "Asset Strippers", only time will tell what there intention is!

marbro8
29-09-2014, 16:21
What's not clear yet is what role Greybull Investments are going to play, are they putting money into Monarch for the company growth or are they investing as "Asset Strippers", only time will tell what there intention is!well i just hope that if it happens then it happens after the 11th october:pray: cus uncle paddy is flying us home on the 25th:wink2:

Rodders
09-10-2014, 09:28
Latest, see links below.

http://centreforaviation.com/analysis/the-monarch-group-part-1-no-divine-right-to-rule-the-air-but-a-new-reign-has-started-purposefully-189891

http://centreforaviation.com/analysis/monarch-airlines-part-2-why-one-of-europes-lowest-cost-airlines-is-right-to-seek-cost-reductions-189893

Ecky Thump
09-10-2014, 10:20
Maybe this part of the report points to why Monarch is on the verge of collapse, while other airlines are flying at a high level of off peak passenger capacity, Monarch aircraft are sitting idle on the Tarmac of a airport.:dontknow:

All the talk about acquiring new aircraft, is just that...Talk. Like any ailing company they will try to paint a rosy picture for investors or future buyers.:nono:

Monarch is one of Europe's most seasonal airlines.

Lower aircraft utilisation may be linked to seasonality. Monarch's focus on leisure destinations means that it has much higher demand in the summer months than in the winter.

It is difficult to establish historic data series showing whether the degree of seasonality in its business is increasing, but the 1HFY2013 results press release, which contained comparative data for the previous year, suggests that this might be so (at least in terms of traffic numbers). The Group did not publish 1H data for FY2014, a clue that perhaps overall trends were deteriorating.

Monarch's Feb-2014 seat capacity was just 36% of its Aug-2013 seat capacity
Whether or not the trend is increasing, Monarch Airlines already has one of the most seasonal businesses of any European airline. Monarch's Feb-2014 seat capacity was just 36% of its Aug-2013 seat capacity. Among European airlines that fly year round, only TUIFly has a lower ratio of trough to peak season capacity, with 31%.

Other leisure airlines such as Condor and Jet2.com have a figure above 40%, while charter carriers Thomas Cook Airlines and Thomson Airways are above 50% on this measure. LCCs Vueling, Ryanair and Transavia are also more than 50% and easyJet's figure is more than 70%. A figure of 100% would mean that low season capacity is equal to the peak season, so Monarch's level of 36% represents a very high degree of seasonality.

LUCKY
19-10-2014, 11:27

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/business/Companies/article1472813.ece

LUCKY
25-10-2014, 19:48

Have a look at this , Good news for some , But bad news for others :flatcap:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2807555/Monarch-Airlines-agrees-125m-rescue-package-staff-suffer-30-pay-cut-hun

Rodders
27-10-2014, 10:16
Some more information,

By now you will have all read the news that we successfully completed the sale of the group to Greybull Capital.

I am personally delighted to be writing my update to you under these circumstances.

The process of completing the transaction on Friday was long. It takes a lot of activity to transfer a group of companies after 47 years to a new owner. I signed hundreds of documents on Friday, and in the end my hand was numb and I began to wonder if it was still in fact my signature! In the evening we saw the lawyers moving hundreds of documents into a huge room and neatly piling all of them onto a big table. There were dozens of lawyers in the room and on the telephone and the lead lawyer read out all of the resolutions needed to complete the deal. As she worked through this, eventually she reached a critical point when she quietly said the words “we confirm that the transaction has now completed” and the room erupted in applause. At this moment the group transferred ownership. I had already written my update to the group and I had my laptop set up in the adjacent room and had asked Tom from our PR agency to sit with his finger on the send button until he heard the applause – then press it. You will notice that my email to you was sent at 21:52 on Friday 24th October 2014 and this is the exact moment that the sale occurred.

So now we have closed a chapter and we have much to look forward to.

I have spoken much of the sacrifices that people have had to make to help us achieve this, and it is important that we do not take these for granted or forget them.

There are too many people for me to thank by name–however I will start with all of you for putting your trust in me and the Board and for continuing to run the business smoothly. I should also mention my colleagues on the Board and the Executive Committee, our panel of expert advisers, the Civil Aviation Authority and Her Majesty’s Government, our aircraft lessors, the engine manufacturers, Boeing, our former shareholders and of course our new shareholders. I regret that I cannot name everyone here as there are simply too many to thank, however I would like to make a special mention of Andrew Lavery, our Chief Financial Officer, who has stood by my side throughout this summer and has made a vital contribution to our successful completion – thank you Andrew.

This has given us a strong foundation on which to build. Our job now is to get up off our knees and take control of our own destiny. I am very clear that we must never again lose control of our future as we almost did this year. We must become self-sufficient and never need to go to our new shareholder with the begging bowl. We must husband our resources with great care and we must all remember what we did to achieve this chance of a great future.

There is a lot of hard work ahead of us and there is no time for complacency. We must promise each other that we will never again allow ourselves to fall into such a vulnerable state.

My personal commitment to you all is to renew the rental on my chair for as long as it takes to create a truly sustainable business. I am looking forward to going on this journey with you.

Andrew Swaffield
Chief Executive Officer
The Monarch Group

fixer
27-09-2016, 16:03
More rumors about Monarch in todays Daily Record saying monarch may go into liquidation and takeover rumors they require more funding to keep there ATOL licence. Monarch issued a statement saying they are trading well and there owners would make a significant investment in the coming days.

tfs1
27-09-2016, 16:58
I certainly hope they keep going we have 4 flights booked with them for the coming few months.

macdonald5
27-09-2016, 17:45
I certainly hope they keep going we have 4 flights booked with them for the coming few months.

Yes looks slightly worrying ,no smoke without fire sometimes ?? Do hope not for everyone booked

tfs1
27-09-2016, 17:58
Yes looks slightly worrying ,no smoke without fire sometimes ?? Do hope not for everyone booked

True, I have been looking at alternative flights and routes for our first flight in a couple of weeks or so.

Like many others we have no chance of refunds etc if they fold and the flights go as we only ever book flights rather than package holidays. We also use our debit card rather than credit card - think I booked our Monach flights with Paypal so not sure if any refunds etc with them - unlikely.

Things should become clearer in the coming few days as Monach will need to have renewed their operating licence by Friday.

ps we also have a few flights with Ryanair in the coming couple of months, thankfully no issues with them going broke !

delderek
27-09-2016, 18:39
This is a repeat of the same thing 2 years ago, they got the money then. this time?

macdonald5
27-09-2016, 21:42
Hope it doesn't happen tfs1 but booking flight only doesn't necessarily mean no refund
We have for years booked flight only and when Globespan went down ( night before we were due to fly to Tenerife ) we got all money back, flights were on credit card and extras ( seats and luggage) were paid by Debit Card I went to bank asked about 'chargeback' and got cost of the extras refunded Had read about chargeback on Martin Lewis site
Don't know if all banks have this we are Bank of Scotland
Since then I've always used credit card to book ( even though the C Charges annoy!!)

fixer
28-09-2016, 14:55
If you use a visa debit card you get your money back through visa chargeback thats with any bank got mine back from halifax when globespan folded hope monarch is ok.

tfs1
28-09-2016, 17:00
If you use a visa debit card you get your money back through visa chargeback thats with any bank got mine back from halifax when globespan folded hope monarch is ok.

Many thanks for that - I hope I dont have to go down that route but good to know it exists.

Paypal don't seem to be that generous and exclude flights, aswell as other things, from their buyer protection scheme.

BobMac
28-09-2016, 18:27
after reading this thread i e-mailed monarch yesterday because we fly out with them to tenerife in october but back with ryanair and they replied today saying "we are aware of the recent press speculation however it is very much business as normal" but having said that i suppose they just wouldn't come out and admit it would they???
Lowcostholidays were still taking bookings right up to close of business on the day they announced they were going into administration just after close of business.

Sent from my P023 using Tapatalk

BobMac
28-09-2016, 18:32
Lowcostholidays were still taking bookings right up to close of business on the day they announced that they were calling in the administrators shortly after closing for the day.

Sent from my P023 using Tapatalk

tfs1
29-09-2016, 18:32
no firm news from Monarch but this has just appeared

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/sep/29/monarch-scrambles-for-time-ahead-of-flying-licence-deadline

tfs1
30-09-2016, 12:50
no firm news from Monarch but this has just appeared

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/sep/29/monarch-scrambles-for-time-ahead-of-flying-licence-deadline

still trying to sort it out !

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/sep/30/monarch-airlines-crisis-talks-extend-flying-licence-atol-package-holidays

was just about to print our boarding passes - probably best to wait until tomorrow - dont want to waste paper and ink !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37524259

Monarch licence to operate extended.

This is a repeat of the same thing 2 years ago, they got the money then. this time?

more money !

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/09/30/monarch-licence-still-up-in-the-air-hours-before-it-expires/

more detail - not quite fully sorted yet.

http://news.sky.com/story/monarch-airlines-handed-reprieve-to-fly-package-holidays-10600155

LUCKY
30-09-2016, 21:52

macdonald5
30-09-2016, 22:02

Pleased that it's survived again and holidaymakers booked can breathe a sigh of relief

tfs1
30-09-2016, 22:28
Pleased that it's survived again and holidaymakers booked can breathe a sigh of relief

for the next 12 days !

http://news.sky.com/story/monarch-airlines-handed-reprieve-to-fly-package-holidays-10600155

and of course this extension means they are able to continue to sell holidays etc - it doesn't mean they have a profitable business. It is was making enough money they wouldn't be in this state now.

They need to give some positive news asap and even then maybe that won't help much given this is the second time in recent years they have needed a handout - who will be booking holidays for next year or flights and have any confidence they will be delivered ?

I will be steering clear and also hope our next 4 Monarch flights happen.

Monarch website says.....

All our package holidays are ATOL protected so you can book your next holiday knowing that you will be looked after by us, so why not make dreaming of your next holiday a reality and book now for a great deal.

Not if you go bust you wont.

tfs1
08-10-2016, 19:29
seems as if progress is being made.

http://news.sky.com/story/boeing-flies-to-monarchs-rescue-with-restructured-fleet-deal-10609656

tfs1
12-10-2016, 09:46
seems as if progress is being made.

http://news.sky.com/story/boeing-flies-to-monarchs-rescue-with-restructured-fleet-deal-10609656

seems as if they have been saved once again, good news for us as we fly with them very soon.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/10/12/monarch-airlines-saved-by-last-minute-165m-cash-boost/

LUCKY
12-10-2016, 17:43
seems as if they have been saved once again, good news for us as we fly with them very soon.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/10/12/monarch-airlines-saved-by-last-minute-165m-cash-boost/

I flew with them yesterday 2.000 miles 49 quid was that a bargain or what.:flatcap:

49 quid But didn't go far but sometimes you don't need to, :flatcap::feret::feret::feret::feret:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm6VC5gdaFA

49 quid But didn't go far but sometimes you don't need to,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm6VC5gdaFA