PDA

View Full Version : Employment Does anyone have knowledge of the minimum wage rates in Tenerife?

TIGER LILY
13-09-2014, 16:28
I have a son who has just turned 18 and will be spending the next two years at Bachillerato College. He wants to get a part time job to be able to run a car that he has just bought for himself and also realise's it is time to pay Mum some board LOL. He has been offered a waiting job for 6 nights a week from 6pm until 10pm. But they are only willing to pay him 3.75 Euros an hour. Although I know he is young and would be learning something from this experience, I feel they are taking advantage of him. What do you think? Does anyone know if this is the normal hourly rate he can be expected to be offered?? Also I would add he is fluent in English, Spanish and very good at Italian.

TenerifeTeddy
14-09-2014, 00:30
Assuming he has a contract, officially each industry has statutory rates negotiated by the unions. Rates are dependent on age and qualifications. However, often employers have a take it or leave it attitude, but a low rate could be challenged by a labour inspector.

TIGER LILY
14-09-2014, 10:16
Thanks for your reply Tenerife Teddy. He would get a contract but it will not state an hourly rate just a monthly one. So that's how they get around the low hourly rate as it doesn't actually show on the contract! I know some people will say he is lucky to get a job at all. But I suppose being his Mum doesn't matter how old they are I am just trying to look out for him. Would be very helpful if anyone on here employ's waiting or Bar Staff and would just comment on what they pay as an hourly rate just to give me some idea. Thanks.

TenerifeTeddy
14-09-2014, 18:54
Sorry can't help you there, we have minimum rates that we have to pay the dependientas in my shop, and different rates for the differently qualified teachers/teaching assistants in our school. I am sure there are others on here who run bars/restaurants that can be more specific.

The contract doesn't specify the hourly rate only the hours to be worked by day/week/month. It's the convenio for the particular industry that specifies minimum rates of pay.

chifleta
14-09-2014, 21:56
I have a son who has just turned 18 and will be spending the next two years at Bachillerato College. He wants to get a part time job to be able to run a car that he has just bought for himself and also realise's it is time to pay Mum some board LOL. He has been offered a waiting job for 6 nights a week from 6pm until 10pm. But they are only willing to pay him 3.75 Euros an hour. Although I know he is young and would be learning something from this experience, I feel they are taking advantage of him. What do you think? Does anyone know if this is the normal hourly rate he can be expected to be offered?? Also I would add he is fluent in English, Spanish and very good at Italian.

Pretty standard rate i'm afraid..... :(

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

The low rate would definately be challenged, but as most employers don't give correct contracts either nowadays e.g. 20 hours contract instead of 36 or 40 hour, it doesn't reflect the actual earnings anyway. It's definately a case of take it or leave it nowadays. If your son is happy to take the job then I say let him ... he has transport, so he's lucky he can be flexible where and times he can work, and therefore study as well, and get himself into the system at the same time (albeit maybe not on a totally correct contract and on a fairly poor wage... like myself, and i'm in my 40's... but needs must) ...