PDA

View Full Version : What is Benidorm like for a holiday destination?

Angusjim
14-09-2014, 12:31
So we are thinking about going to Benidorm for a week next May, never been before what are your thoughts on Benidorm ? from speaking to various people seems to be like Marmite you either love it or hate it. You thoughts, comments and advice would be appreciated :tiphat:

Malteser Monkey
14-09-2014, 12:41
Is it cheap ?:cheeky:

Seriously the OH took his boys a few years ago as their last "family" holiday as boys grown up now and they enjoyed it.

I believe there are 2 parts to it the old town and the .....hmm lively town like what you saw on the TV program.

I always say it's what you put into a holiday you gotta find the right "bit" for you. Whatever happens it's a holiday, somewhere different and a new experience.

Some older friends of mine go 3 - 4 times a year so it can't be that bad....mind you they are scousers:laugh:

It's Spain innit

Blimey and I haven't even touched a drop.......yet

Bring me back a stick o' rock !

welsh wendy
14-09-2014, 13:20
So we are thinking about going to Benidorm for a week next May, never been before what are your thoughts on Benidorm ? from speaking to various people seems to be like Marmite you either love it or hate it. You thoughts, comments and advice would be appreciated :tiphat:

I went there once years ago with a group of girls but did not like it. Nothing like Tenerife and more like a Spanish Blackpool.

Tom & Sharon
14-09-2014, 13:31
We've never stayed in Benidorm, but it is near enough to my parent's house in Murcia to go for a day out.

The first time we went, we expected to find "Blackpool in the sun" as the saying goes, and that it would be a bit of a dump. However, we were very pleasantly surprised!

There is a stretch with the usual British bars, but it's no different from PDLA in that bit. It's not my scene, but if it is, then it's no better or worse than Tenerife.

The old town is really quite nice. There's lovely quaint Spanish tapas bars, and the beaches are nice too.

It's like most things, you have to decide for yourself. As long as you have nice accommodation, and it's not right next door to Sticky Vicky's I think you'll have a lovely holiday.

Ecky Thump
14-09-2014, 13:34
Some older friends of mine go 3 - 4 times a year so it can't be that bad. !

You have friends older than you??:cheeky:

I'm surprised that there are such people!:laugh:

Malteser Monkey
14-09-2014, 13:57
and it's not right next door to Sticky Vicky's I think you'll have a lovely holiday.

Tell her Ecky sends his love next time you see her:laugh:

YES other than you lot I do indeed:cheeky:

Angusjim
14-09-2014, 14:10
Please try and stay on topic:crazy:

Malteser Monkey
14-09-2014, 14:12

I did - it wasn't me it was Ecky always the first :redcard:

Angusjim
14-09-2014, 14:26
Anyone been to the Benidorm Palace good night out ??

Sundowner
14-09-2014, 14:31

They have all had their telegrams from the queen:tiphat:

melm
14-09-2014, 14:35
Anyone been to the Benidorm Palace good night out ??

We were there a number of years back ,always a good night, still top class acts . Went to Benidorm a couple of years ago Monday to Friday sort of thing. We stayed in the old part of town and it was quiet and nice. The older part is full of pubs offering all kinds of entertainment. Saw Sticky Vicky:shy: she appears in three or four places each night. Not in one venue. Watch out for the stags and hens. They can be a bit rowdy.

Short flight time in comparison to Tenerife and that's a bonus.

Ecky Thump
14-09-2014, 14:40

Here is a link that gives a bit of insight to Benidorm and after 1 minute and 10 seconds into the video, you will find a subject that is close to the heart of Angusjim....the weather!:crying2:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOZWTzopF4g

:cheeky:Sorry Jim for using a dreaded link for information!

trevorife2
14-09-2014, 15:06
Went about 10 yrs ago and stayed in the old town , found a bar and drank in there most nights .. Not much else going on imo apart from drinking ... I wouldnt rush back !!! ( it aint no tenerife )

marbro8
14-09-2014, 16:23
it has been about 10 years since we went,about 9 of us as a family.it is what it is,sleazy in some parts and quite classy in other parts,you have the usual british €1.50 euro a pint bars selling pie and mash like the pride of yorkshire(if it is still open?)and as someone has said tapas bars in the old town,i must admit levante beach is lovely,and you have terra mitica the theme park with all the rides,and also a water park just over the road from the benidorm palace,as someone has said it seems to be the stag and hen do capital of spain so chose where you stay very carefully;)

warbey
14-09-2014, 19:39

We too stayed in the Old Town.

If We went Again it would be in the New Town preferably near to the Centre.

We also think it's like Blackpool or lots of English Seaside Towns.
I reckon Brits mostly stick to the New Town and Spanish to the Old one.
There wasn't a great lot to do in the Old Town at Night, and the New Town has Loads.

I reckon 7 Days is just right to decide if it's worth returning.....................................

P. S. Two great Beaches and two great Proms, with a Good Local Climate...

Calperock
14-09-2014, 20:52
I live half an hour away from Benidorm, if you havenīt been then you have to go, there is everything you need to have a good time, water parks, Terra Mittica, Benidorm Palace, Dino Park, there is the new town for a night out on the town and then there is the old town which is in my opinion, a great shopping area, lovely old streets, lots of cafes, restaurants, bars, find Tapas Alley itīs a must. The beach is about 2 mile long and the sand is brought in from the Sahara dessert, it is cleaned every evening, the promenade is beautiful. Lots of towns to visit nearby, Albir, Altea, Calpe, Javea, Denia, and you can visit them all by train, very cheaply. If you have any questions please let me know.

Malteser Monkey
15-09-2014, 09:52
I live half an hour away from Benidorm, if you havenīt been then you have to go, there is everything you need to have a good time, water parks, Terra Mittica, Benidorm Palace, Dino Park, there is the new town for a night out on the town and then there is the old town which is in my opinion, a great shopping area, lovely old streets, lots of cafes, restaurants, bars, find Tapas Alley itīs a must. The beach is about 2 mile long and the sand is brought in from the Sahara dessert, it is cleaned every evening, the promenade is beautiful. Lots of towns to visit nearby, Albir, Altea, Calpe, Javea, Denia, and you can visit them all by train, very cheaply. If you have any questions please let me know.

a very helpful post AJ will be very impressed

Welcome to the Forum:welcome:

DjedwardSmith
15-09-2014, 16:25
There's loads to do, went in May and was pleastantly surprised, the strip of British bars is contained within itself so as long as you stay a few blocks away you'll have a quiet night, unless of course it's that you're after. The touts are far better than the ones that pestered us in Salou and especially Ibiza, they're ''official'', wear high-vis' so they stand out and are polite and don't pester you if you're polite.

Loads to do, the beach is clean, the old town is very nice and it felt safe at all times. Definitely doesn't deserve it's nickname as the Spanish Blackpool, that place is a proper dump.

Malteser Monkey
15-09-2014, 16:28
There's loads to do, went in May and was pleastantly surprised, the strip of British bars is contained within itself so as long as you stay a few blocks away you'll have a quiet night, unless of course it's that you're after. The touts are far better than the ones that pestered us in Salou and especially Ibiza, they're ''official'', wear high-vis' so they stand out and are polite and don't pester you if you're polite.

Loads to do, the beach is clean, the old town is very nice and it felt safe at all times. Definitely doesn't deserve it's nickname as the Spanish Blackpool, that place is a proper dump.

another one nice !

Welcome :hi:

Ecky Thump
15-09-2014, 17:18
another one nice !

Welcome :hi:

Unless of course you have planned a holiday in Blackpool with your family!

You get better whelks in Blackpool.:laugh:

Medman
15-09-2014, 17:19
We went to Benidorm for the first time last year with my daughter and her family. They had booked it and then a few days later asked if we wanted to join them. (not for baby-sitting of course !)
Anyway, the hotel was as it said on the tin; a 4 star Thomson all inclusive. Food was great for the first 4 days then we were fed up with it. The drink, apart from the very weak spirits was really good. Full bottles of cava and wine available and not just by the glass. So needless to say, we had our money's worth.
We did venture out most nights and was pleasantly surprised how cheap the drinls were in most of the bars. Lots of special offers.
However, I wasn't impressed with the entertainment in the Old Town. NO real live bands as far as I could find. One man or duos at best. Certainly wide variety of acts available from clowns to strippers. The Talk of the Town is worth a visit. The resident compere is an old pal of mine (although his pseudo English accent would tell you otherwise) At least three acts on every night. Good service at the bar etc.
To summarise, I wouldn't hurry back. The Old Town was too wild and the Old Town was too quiet. It did make me see why I enjoy Tenerife so much. Not my cup of tea, but obviously very very popular.
PS the beach and promenade were lovely.