PDA

View Full Version : What's your favourite tapas?

Red Devil
06-10-2014, 23:41
I love tapas and try to eat Canarian whenever I can, however I have found my favourites are pretty boring, but it has to be ali-oli & bread, padrons pimientos, garlic mushrooms and chicken wings (with the compulsory glass of wine of course) and I'm one happy bunny.
Am I missing out on other favourites?

marbro8
06-10-2014, 23:59
I love tapas and try to eat Canarian whenever I can, however I have found my favourites are pretty boring, but it has to be ali-oli & bread, padrons pimientos, garlic mushrooms and chicken wings (with the compulsory glass of wine of course) and I'm one happy bunny.
Am I missing out on other favourites?never tried it:dontknow:,my wife is not the most adventurous person in the world when it comes to trying out new foods:(,but i have heard that the willows? in the apollo centre has a scottish chef and they do a mixed array of tapas with british and canaryan in mind and you can eat as much as you like in an hour for about €10 each,and i have seen the menu and i know there would be enough on there to keep my wife satisfied with the british stuff and allow me to enjoy the spanish stuff:wink2:

Red Devil
07-10-2014, 08:25
We have heard good reports about The Willows too marbro so it might be worth a try, wasnt the owner there once at Casa Tres which was a favourite of ours?
If your wife tends to stick to British food you could also sneak her in to El Cine on the front at Los Cris, I defy anyone not to love the chicken wings and their chips!

Malteser Monkey
07-10-2014, 08:45
You have to try croquetas - and there they come in all different flavours from chicken to fish etc. Oh like pulpo but I don't. there Tortilla Española ohhh soo many ......hungry now

Also try arepas although not Tapas they are a Venezuelan pancake with various fillings my favourites are carne mechada (braised steak) or just simple ham and cheese.

primrose
07-10-2014, 09:31
You have to try croquetas - and there they come in all different flavours from chicken to fish etc. Oh like pulpo but I don't. there Tortilla Española ohhh soo many ......hungry now

Also try arepas although not Tapas they are a Venezuelan pancake with various fillings my favourites are carne mechada (braised steak) or just simple ham and cheese.

My Son would live on Carne Mechada if he got the chance, he loves it. I have yet to find any I can eat as don't eat meat and detest Garlic.

Malteser Monkey
07-10-2014, 09:51
My Son would live on Carne Mechada if he got the chance, he loves it. I have yet to find any I can eat as don't eat meat and detest Garlic.

THEY do Tuna ones too !

canarybird
07-10-2014, 09:53
Garlic Prawns (Gambas al Ajillo). Just had some yesterday. Must be served with a fresh piece of crusty bread for dipping. Mmmmm!

I usually count them and check out their size. :)

Best I've found here for the price is at Tito's Bodeguita (Puerto de la Cruz) where this photo was taken.

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Garden-Party/Titos-Luncheon/i-2TsWBVw/0/L/P1190789%20x-L.jpg

Canarybird

primrose
07-10-2014, 10:07
THEY do Tuna ones too !

Don't like Tuna, usually end up with Tortilla and tomato.

Malteser Monkey
07-10-2014, 10:44
Garlic Prawns (Gambas al Ajillo). Just had some yesterday. Must be served with a fresh piece of crusty bread for dipping. Mmmmm!

Best I've found here for the price is at Tito's Bodeguita (Puerto de la Cruz) where this photo was taken.

Canarybird

OMG how I wish Icould have some right now !

Don't like Tuna, usually end up with Tortilla and tomato.

There's no pleasing some :whistle::D

primrose
07-10-2014, 10:46
OMG how I wish Icould have some right now !

There's no pleasing some :whistle::D

You would have to sit at a different table than me if you were eating garlic.

kathml
07-10-2014, 10:49
camerones, carne con salsa,various types of tuna, ensallidia really to many to mention all good if you dont like one try another if in company share them

Red Devil
07-10-2014, 11:07
Photos of the tapas really help, better than any description! - I will take my camera when eating my mushrooms in garlic with basket of bread and alioli (sorry Primrose, double garlic there) at La Finca in Chayofa in about 3 weeks time. Cant wait.

Malteser Monkey
07-10-2014, 11:12
ensaladilla russo

make that all the time OH loves it

primrose
07-10-2014, 11:15
Photos of the tapas really help, better than any description! - I will take my camera when eating my mushrooms in garlic with basket of bread and alioli (sorry Primrose, double garlic there) at La Finca in Chayofa in about 3 weeks time. Cant wait.

Do they not make any Vegetarian Tapas? Somebody once told me about something that was like our Bubble and Squeak and I can't remember the name of it.

canarybird
07-10-2014, 11:50
Ensaladilla (aka Ensaladilla Rusa or Russian Salad)....that potato, egg and vegetable salad with mayonnaise, usually made with tuna.

A very popular tapa seen throughout Spain, often served on tiny, canoe-shaped tapa dishes, with a chunk of crusty bread.

In this case, three scoops served to be shared by three persons.

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Blog-Photos/Tenerife-Journal-Blog/i-nvwPZGf/0/L/PB050556%20ensaladilla-L.jpg

kingbaker
07-10-2014, 14:30

Absolutely at least double or TREBBBLE garlic. ;)

primrose
07-10-2014, 14:42
Absolutely at least double or TREBBBLE garlic. ;)

YUK. :v2:

kingbaker
07-10-2014, 14:45
And if I made chilly for you on Monday, your lips would still be bleeding on Thurs. ;)

Malteser Monkey
07-10-2014, 14:47
And if I made chilly for you on Monday, your lips would still be bleeding on Thurs. ;)

I take it you are single :whistle::crylaughing:

kingbaker
07-10-2014, 15:48
Of course.....till I meet a woman who can tollerate good chilly and garlic sauce etc....:p;)

primrose
07-10-2014, 16:07
Of course.....till I meet a woman who can tollerate good chilly and garlic sauce etc....:p;)

That lets me out then.:jumping:

kingbaker
07-10-2014, 17:31
I shouldda added, a woman who doesn't complain of the cold.....where you are!!

primrose
07-10-2014, 17:41
I shouldda added, a woman who doesn't complain of the cold.....where you are!!

Tenerife but I am acclimatised now.

imablue
07-10-2014, 17:53
Patatas bravas y albondigas mexicanas.........now ya talking ..yummy ..
maybe Canarybird has a picture to compliment the post ...?:hungry::hungry:

Tshirt
07-10-2014, 18:22
Patatas bravas y albondigas mexicanas.........now ya talking ..yummy ..
maybe Canarybird has a picture to compliment the post ...?:hungry::hungry:

Is that chips with gravy?

kingbaker
07-10-2014, 19:08
Meatballs me thinks...not sure about the spuds.
Patatas Bravas anybody?? Malteser Monkey!! ;)

imablue
07-10-2014, 19:12
Nah ..Not Quite ..A bit more upmarket ..:whistle:
potatoes and meatballs mexican style:fpull:

marbro8
07-10-2014, 19:46
We have heard good reports about The Willows too marbro so it might be worth a try, wasnt the owner there once at Casa Tres which was a favourite of ours?
If your wife tends to stick to British food you could also sneak her in to El Cine on the front at Los Cris, I defy anyone not to love the chicken wings and their chips!we have friends that live on paradise court in san eugenio and they love el cine,in fact they don't need to order anymore because they know what they want every time they visit:laugh:,they have also tried el faroe? if i have got it right,just above the devon arms and a few hundred yards from the watermelon and target bar,they both went into there and had a load of tapas, a couple of beers and coffees and the bill came to €20,they thought they had been charged wrong and couldn't wait to get out:laugh:,a few weeks later they returned and ordered the same again and got charged the same and realised that was the price:laugh:

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Garden-Party/Titos-Luncheon/i-2TsWBVw/0/L/P1190789%20x-L.jpg

CanarybirdWOW i could happily eat that every day for the rest of my life:laugh:

kingbaker
07-10-2014, 19:51
Conejo would be very high on the list....roasted of course. ;)

Chine
07-10-2014, 19:53
We have lot of tapas I love chorizo and mushrooms in garlic , but a big fave is roasted asparagus wrapped in Serrano ham then dip in alioli , superb !!!

marbro8
07-10-2014, 20:10
That lets me out then.:jumping:bloody hell that was a lucky escape KB:laugh::wink2:

kingbaker
07-10-2014, 20:21
bloody hell that was a lucky escape KB:laugh::wink2:

I'm rubbing garlic all over meself as we speak. Ha! Ha!!:p:p:D

marbro8
07-10-2014, 20:22
I'm rubbing garlic all over meself as we speak. Ha! Ha!!:p:p:D:crylaughing::crylaughing::crylaughing: classic

kingbaker
07-10-2014, 20:24
Carne con Papas from the cafeteria in the petrol station facing cop shop in LA. Bueno. ;)

marbro8
07-10-2014, 20:38
Carne con Papas from the cafeteria in the petrol station facing cop shop in LA. Bueno. ;)that is one meal i would love to try but being a tourist and i don't hire a car,is there any restaurants that do it within walking distance of los cris las americas/la caleta?

primrose
07-10-2014, 20:44
that is one meal i would love to try but being a tourist and i don't hire a car,is there any restaurants that do it within walking distance of los cris las americas/la caleta?

Most of the Spanish Bars/ Restaurants do it.

Malteser Monkey
07-10-2014, 20:48
want to edit my post but won't let me, try tomorrow...nite

Ohhh all my original messages have gone - try again tomorrow to hungry now cooking dinner

Tshirt
07-10-2014, 21:03
Bravas I believe that is more Español than Canarian - if you want to be picky:whistle:

Hun that ain't tapas that's a main course

[QUOTE=Tshirt;403483]Buses from Los Cris to LA bus station stop directly across the road from said petrol station. It's the stop before the bus station.[/QUOTEEsta Sur ! best food (basic style ) OMG used to eat there every night after finishing work in Murphy's early 90's took our friends there - it's not

I'm sorry the bus doesn't stop directly opposite the petrol station, but a short walk away.

Malteser Monkey
07-10-2014, 21:09
Hun that ain't tapas that's a main course

I'm sorry the bus doesn't stop directly opposite the petrol station, but a short walk away.[/QUOTE]

see previous post not even if we're in the same place

Estar Sur it was called

Red Devil
07-10-2014, 21:16
that is one meal i would love to try but being a tourist and i don't hire a car,is there any restaurants that do it within walking distance of los cris las americas/la caleta?

Marbro I think there is now a tapas bar at the side of the Heritage bar (although it might have changed its name now) which is part of the San Marino complex as you walk into Los Cris town centre, dont you stay around El Mirador area?

primrose
07-10-2014, 21:23
Marbro I think there is now a tapas bar at the side of the Heritage bar (although it might have changed its name now) which is part of the San Marino complex as you walk into Los Cris town centre, dont you stay around El Mirador area?

Heritage Bar is now called Ink Spots.

marbro8
07-10-2014, 21:26
Marbro I think there is now a tapas bar at the side of the Heritage bar (although it might have changed its name now) which is part of the San Marino complex as you walk into Los Cris town centre, dont you stay around El Mirador area?ye just past margareta's and cristian sur? we had a few drinks in the heritage bar a few years ago,they had a fund raising for dogs i think?:)

essexeddie
07-10-2014, 21:54
Russian salad, Tortilo and meat balls also crispy baby octopus.
We normally go to Farrows? at the entrance road to the LC Harbour.

macdonald5
07-10-2014, 23:44
We can now recommend The Willows in Apollo centre Los Cristianos, four of us visited this restaurant and were amazed at the 18 or so varieties of tapas brought to the table
Great selection and taste and at €11.50 per head excellent value , Rioja wines very reasonably priced at €8.50 a bottle
Can definately recommend

Malteser Monkey
09-10-2014, 11:33
Ensaladilla (aka Ensaladilla Rusa or Russian Salad)....that potato, egg and vegetable salad with mayonnaise, usually made with tuna.

A very popular tapa seen throughout Spain, often served on tiny, canoe-shaped tapa dishes, with a chunk of crusty bread.

In this case, three scoops served to be shared by three persons.

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Blog-Photos/Tenerife-Journal-Blog/i-nvwPZGf/0/L/PB050556%20ensaladilla-L.jpg

I made some yesterday :yum:

essexeddie
09-10-2014, 15:30
That looks good CB

Malteser Monkey
09-10-2014, 15:38
That looks good CB

You want to taste it - It's one of those recipies you can adapt to your own taste

Basics are Tuna, cubed boiled potoatoes, copped boiled egg, onion and Mayo. now you can add whatever else you like peppers, peas, olives, grated carrot etc

here's just one example

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/23814/ensalada-rusa--russian-salad-.aspx

essexeddie
09-10-2014, 15:49
Looks pretty straight forward, I just have to master boiling an egg :)

canarybird
09-10-2014, 16:07
Mercadona sells all the diced ingredients (except the hard cooked egg, onion and tuna) in a bag in the freezer section.

Just steam or boil the mixture, cool a little and add tuna, egg and mayonnaise. Tastes pretty good too.

primrose
09-10-2014, 18:12
Looks pretty straight forward, I just have to master boiling an egg :)

You don't even have to do that, Marcadona sell hard boiled eggs.

essexeddie
09-10-2014, 18:23

Reminds me of a guy at work, always had a hard boiled egg in his lunch box. He used to break over his knee until we changed it for a fresh one.

Red Devil
09-10-2014, 20:27

Right next to the ordinary boxes of eggs. caught me out well & truly!

primrose
09-10-2014, 20:32
Right next to the ordinary boxes of eggs. caught me out well & truly!

If I hadn't had somebody with me that spoke Spanish they would have caught me out as well. You would think they would keep them separate,I bet a lot have been caught out.:doh:

Red Devil
09-10-2014, 20:38
If I hadn't had somebody with me that spoke Spanish they would have caught me out as well. You would think they would keep them separate,I bet a lot have been caught out.:doh:

Still makes me laugh thinking about it, we were dumbfounded when we tried to poach one.

primrose
09-10-2014, 20:47
Still makes me laugh thinking about it, we were dumbfounded when we tried to poach one.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:Good job you didn't want them for baking. I wouldn't fancy eating them after sitting on a shelf for a few days.

kingbaker
10-10-2014, 21:09
Are ye any good at baking...seeing as ye don't like garlic.

You MUST have some redeeming qualities. :D:D:p

primrose
10-10-2014, 21:33
Are ye any good at baking...seeing as ye don't like garlic.

You MUST have some redeeming qualities. :D:D:p

Far too many redeeming qualities to list on here would take all night:liar: but yes I am very good at baking and cooking.:yum:

Minerva
18-10-2014, 10:51
If it is cold and I am hungry, like in Barcelona in November, nothing beats simple patatas bravas to start with.

Malteser Monkey
18-10-2014, 11:09
Far too many redeeming qualities to list on here would take all night:liar: but yes I am very good at baking and cooking.:yum:

kingbaker 'av yer not seen her cauldron :D

primrose
18-10-2014, 16:56
kingbaker 'av yer not seen her cauldron :D

And my seventeen year old black cat.: :witch::witch3::witch:

Bob
18-10-2014, 18:27
an earlier post mentioned bubble and squeak tapas, i would like to know what it´s called and where i can try it please

macdonald5
18-10-2014, 18:45
We had a good selection of well cooked and presented tapas at The Willows inside the Apollo Centre in Los Cristianos - goats cheese,black pudding,melon & ham,garlic bread.balti rice,quiche,Mexican tuna,ham & egg,tortilla,paella,meatballs,peppered beef,satay chicken,steak chips and more ,,,,,,,In all about 18 tasty dishes
Super value at €11.50 a head
Not the most salubrious location but very worth a visit

kingbaker
18-10-2014, 20:07
We had a good selection of well cooked and presented tapas at The Willows inside the Apollo Centre in Los Cristianos - goats cheese,black pudding,melon & ham,garlic bread.balti rice,quiche,Mexican tuna,ham & egg,tortilla,paella,meatballs,peppered beef,satay chicken,steak chips and more ,,,,,,,In all about 18 tasty dishes

Have ye booked two seats for yourself on the plane coming, or you might have to go in the hold.

The OH might say he's never seen you before. :p:D

Whatta wimp!! Real men don't eat
quiche!! :confused::confused::D

macdonald5
18-10-2014, 20:13
Have ye booked two seats for yourself on the plane coming, or you might have to go in the hold.

The OH might say he's never seen you before. :p:D

Whatta wimp!! Real men don't eat
quiche!! :confused::confused::D

That was the tapa plates selection put down dear KB, we only ate what we wanted
I never eat black pudding though our friends enjoyed, my OH ate what suited him
Will need gym classes every day when I get home but hey oh it's jolly holiday time !!!!!

kingbaker
18-10-2014, 20:52
That was the tapa plates selection put down dear KB, we only ate what we wanted
I never eat black pudding though our friends enjoyed, my OH ate what suited him
Will need gym classes every day when I get home but hey oh it's jolly holiday time !!!!!

Good to hear that you didn't eat them all so:D You left some for others...thats a good start!!:p:D:D

kingbaker
18-10-2014, 20:56
Don't mind me Mac I'm just jealous. I need a holiday !!:D:p:D

BrianT
18-10-2014, 21:33

We have looked at it a few times but I am a little bit fussy, I only eat chicken ( breast off the bone) maybe chorizo and veggie things. I do eat tapas but only if I can choose my own dishes. Wifey eats a lot more so it is me that is stopping us visiting. Will have another look at menu in December.

macdonald5
19-10-2014, 01:07
We have looked at it a few times but I am a little bit fussy, I only eat chicken ( breast off the bone) maybe chorizo and veggie things. I do eat tapas but only if I can choose my own dishes. Wifey eats a lot more so it is me that is stopping us visiting. Will have another look at menu in December.

My OH is a fussy eater and to be honest I thought he would struggle with tapas menu but he ate and enjoyed most of the dishes and we have booked to go back !!

Don't mind me Mac I'm just jealous. I need a holiday !!:D:p:D

So whits stopping you ?? x

kingbaker
19-10-2014, 06:55
Tooo busy, loadsa money...no time.....loadsa time.....no money, medical appointments, etc. etc. et bloody cetera. :confused::confused:

macdonald5
19-10-2014, 11:49
Tooo busy, loadsa money...no time.....loadsa time.....no money, medical appointments, etc. etc. et bloody cetera. :confused::confused:

Yep life's a bitch then you die !!!!! Cheery thought for a very stormy Sunday in Tenerife Wifi was even down for a while - will need a boat soon

kingbaker
19-10-2014, 12:19
Stormy here in Dublin also. Big rainfall due for a few days to come. If yer flooded, ye might yet have to eat the black puddin'
:p:D:D

Margaretta
28-10-2014, 22:22
I love calamare dishes but not with batter. The little salty red peppers (whole) are delicious but not the very hot ones! Manchego cheese is a big favourite and anything with prawns......Sardines if they are not too boney. A lovely big slice of tortilla with lots of things in it and a side salad....oooooooh! Longing to return!

marbro8
28-10-2014, 23:13
as we went on a stroll to la caleta last week,we walked past the restaurant on the front overlooking the sea like a big balcony,and there was a place there selling tapas,it looked absolutely fantastic,and the place next door had the most amazing calamari that i had ever seen;)

malagabob
29-10-2014, 09:33
Bob and Primrose regarding Bubble and Squeak I had a tapa in Las Palmas GC years ago it was called Ropa Vieja (old clothes, bits of everything veg) have not come across it in TF, but I think it contained meat.

bonitatime
01-11-2014, 22:38
Bob and Primrose regarding Bubble and Squeak I had a tapa in Las Palmas GC years ago it was called Ropa Vieja (old clothes, bits of everything veg) have not come across it in TF, but I think it contained meat.

It's a beef chickpea stew and they make it here too

kingbaker
01-11-2014, 23:14
I remember hearing of it multos anos ago but couldn't remember what it was..thanks BT.:p

macdonald5
01-11-2014, 23:26

San Martin restaurant in Cabo Blanco serve Ropa Viejas- we have gone there for many years and usually have this as a starter
Restaurant is much quieter now but still serve up this and lovely half roast chicken with papas al horno( oven cooked potatoes)

kingbaker
01-11-2014, 23:33
San Martin restaurant in Cabo Blanco serve Ropa Viejos - we have gone there for many years and usually have this as a starter
Restaurant is much quieter now but still serve up this and lovely half roast chicken with papas al horno( oven cooked potatoes)

Glad you sorted out that last bit!! :p:p:p:D

malagabob
02-11-2014, 09:25
As soon as we have checked in to our hotel and got our selves sorted. I will walk the short distance to Rosys bar, get a Paella para llevar dos personas. Back on the balcony enjoying the afternoon sun with the meal, fresh bread and a bottle of vino blanco seco.