PDA

View Full Version : Health Flu, colds and your toothbrush

canarybird
11-10-2014, 11:19
It's flu season again. :(

I recently came upon an article posted on the web on the role that your toothbrush could play in keeping you sick, once you have contracted a cold or flu. Here are some points that reappeared on several other websites.

1. Toothbrushes should be thrown out after three months and replaced with a new one.

2. If you have a cold or flu, use a new toothbrush and be sure and wash it well after each use, rinsing under running water and even a little soap, shaking it well and air drying it in an upright position away from brushes of other family members. Bacteria will regrow on the toothbrush every few hours so clean it well before and after each use.
Throw away your toothbrush after an illness and use a new one so you don't keep reinfecting yourself daily.

3. Keep toothbrush stored in open air at least 3 to 6 feet away from the toilet, as each flush will throw billions of microbes into your bathroom air and some will settle on your toothbrush. ( I imagine that putting the toilet lid down before flushing would keep the microbes inside though.)

4. Don't microwave your toothbrush as that only breaks down the bristles.

5. If you are sick, use a 3% solution of hydrogen peroxide mixed with equal parts water in a glass and soak the toothbrush head in that for 1 minute after every use, to kill germs and fungus. Mix a new solution of water/peroxide for each time you brush your teeth.

Guess that's all pretty self evident, but I hadn't thought about a toothbrush preventing your cold or sore throat from getting better, since you are reinfecting yourself every time you use it. Now will buy a few new ones to keep on hand just in case.

Also, wash hands frequently and don't rub your eyes as they are a direct route (along with nose and mouth) for infection to enter your bloodstream.

http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/healthy-mouth-14/your-healthy-mouth/the-ugly-truth-about-your-toothbrush

Canarybird

Ecky Thump
11-10-2014, 11:35
Thank you, a useful post.

I recently read about the uses of Hydrogen Peroxide and have copied its uses on dental hygiene......

Personal Care
Mouthwash / Tooth Care

Healing Properties: Take one capful (the little white cap that comes with the bottle) and hold in your mouth for 10 minutes daily, then spit it out. You will not have canker sores and your teeth will be whiter. If you have a terrible toothache and cannot get to a dentist right away, put a capful of 3% Hydrogen peroxide into your mouth and hold it for 10 minutes several times a day. The pain will lessen greatly.

11. Mouthwash

Many people don’t realize that hydrogen peroxide makes a very effective and inexpensive mouthwash. Use 3% H202 – add a dash of liquid chlorophyll for flavoring if desired.

12. Toothpaste

Use baking soda and add enough 3% H202 to make a paste.

13. Toothbrush

Or, just dip your brush in 3% H202 and brush. Soak your toothbrush in Hydrogen peroxide to keep them free of germs.

14. Tooth Ache

Hydrogen peroxide is not a pain killer; however, as an anti-viral, antibacterial and anti-fungal agent, it is effective at treating the pathogen that is causing the infection. The following is from my own personal experience: My dentist wanted to give me a root canal some time ago as one tooth was inflamed and, in her opinion, would die. I felt some discomfort but told her that I would give it chance to heal. I rinsed with hydrogen peroxide (several times a day) as well ascoconut oil (once a day). The discomfort went away and I have had no further problems with the tooth.

15. Tooth Whitening

Having used 3% Hydrogen peroxide as a mouth wash for sometime ago, I am thrilled to note that my teeth have been beautifully and effortlessly whitened. I used to pay so much for professional whitening, those silly strips and uncomfortable trays. Live and learn.

NOTE: Do not swallow any peroxide. When the peroxide rinse is done, be sure to rinse out your mouth with water.

warbey
11-10-2014, 20:02

i wont argue with these reccomendations but I have a few observations to make.

i have always kept Our Toothbrushes separate to avoid cross infection, including Gum Disease.

I stand My Brush upright with a small Plastic Bottle on top. It can't rain Bacteria on it then and protects it from accidental contact.

A lot of Illnesses are cured by Our Immune System so We do not get re-infected by some of them

We do need exposure to infections to keep Our Immune Systems tuned up

I wash Brushes in a Bleach Solution which also works well....

Regarding Flu... Those who qualify should be immunised each Year.

essexeddie
02-05-2015, 15:44
Electric brush replacements are expensive to replace. We keep ours separate. Never thought about Hydrogen Peroxide. Where do you buy it?

macdonald5
02-05-2015, 17:11
Electric brush replacements are expensive to replace. We keep ours separate. Never thought about Hydrogen Peroxide. Where do you buy it?

Most chemists sell it, has many uses - in hair bleaching, disinfecting cuts etc and of course disinfecting toothbrushes

Malteser Monkey
02-05-2015, 18:23

Have you tried Ebay ! Much cheaper Eds

Thanks to everyone great advice:c2:

canarybird
03-05-2015, 22:42
Hydrogen peroxide is agua oxigenada in Spanish.
It comes in a flexible plastic bottle with a tiny opening so you can squirt it on a wound to clean it.
I keep a little bottle in the medicine cabinet for disinfecting cuts and wounds.

Sold in pharmacies and supermarkets in the first aid sections.

Dahho
03-10-2016, 09:37
I often change my toothbrush