PDA

View Full Version : Relocation What do retirees do in Tenerife?

SueB
16-10-2014, 14:07
We are contemplating, selling up (home and business) and retiring to Tenerife in the next 12 months or so.
We already own a property there, so are well aware of the living costs, taxes etc., and are confident our income will suffice. Similarly we know the island well and love the climate and people and I speak reasonable Spanish. (Although my husband refuses to learn!)
But our main dilemma is what will we do on a day to day basis, once the extended holiday feel has gone!?
In the UK we would have children and grandchildren close by and have easy access to clubs, classes to learn a new hobby and the like, or even for my husband, the possibility of taking on a diy project - doing up a flat for resale etc.
But what is on offer there?
I would be really interested to hear what other retired forum members do with their time and any ideas that people have to keep us busy.
Before anyone suggests it - we don't play golf (yet!) :)

blondie
16-10-2014, 15:02
Hi SueB I will be interested to hear the replies to your question. We have been coming to Tenerife for over 20 yrs, now that we are retired we sometimes manage 4 to 5 visits in the year always for 2 weeks . That is when we are both ready for home , I cant envisage staying longer than that . I know it is impossible to be in holiday mode all the time so what do people do to put their day in.

SueB
16-10-2014, 15:15
Hi Blondie, Yes that's exactly our question, we are lucky in that we manage around 5 x 2 week trips a year too, and always wish it was for longer, we are just not sure we want it to be permanent!

canarybird
16-10-2014, 16:21
Here are some suggestions of what friends and other British people I know do in Puerto de la Cruz.

1. Some people have joined the British Games Club and do sports at Alvaro's tennis club (http://www.cdopuertodelacruz.com/CDO_Puerto_de_la_Cruz_-Tenis/CDO_Puerto_de_la_Cruz_-Tenis_Padel.html) where they play tennis, do yoga, paddle, lawn bowling or Pilates, or just meet up for lunch at the club. (No membership fees.)

2. Others belong to ESTA, the English Speaking Theater Group which puts on plays.

3. Some belong to cultural clubs which meet up for classes in painting, writing, or walking or other activities, usually followed by a lunch in different places.

4. There's a group of Ladies Who Lunch....self explanatory.

5. Many folks find a walking partner or two and go walking around the town or further afield on a daily basis.

6. Some help out with charities, or at one of the animal refuges, cats and dogs.

7. The English Library. (http://www.englishlibrary.mytenerife.eu/).. a busy place which puts on quizzes, luncheons, games, lectures on various subjects, teas.

8. Friends of Tenerife (http://www.friendsoftenerife.com/).....a club which sponsors luncheons and events to raise money for charities.

9. Go to the beach at Playa Jardin, walking and going for lunch in one of the cafes and restaurants or picnicking.

10. Explore the island by car, driving around and stopping for lunch in some unknown little town.

11. Photography as a hobby.....one of mine. Lots of interesting tropical plants and unusual landscapes to capture.

Lots more to do than just sitting in a bar drinking, however sometimes that's alright too when one is with friends.

Angusjim
16-10-2014, 16:30
Here are some suggestions of what friends and other British people I know do in Puerto de la Cruz.

1. Some people have joined the British Games Club and do sports at Alvaro's tennis club (http://www.cdopuertodelacruz.com/CDO_Puerto_de_la_Cruz_-Tenis/CDO_Puerto_de_la_Cruz_-Tenis_Padel.html) where they play tennis, do yoga, paddle, lawn bowling or Pilates, or just meet up for lunch at the club. (No membership fees.)

2. Others belong to ESTA, the English Speaking Theater Group which puts on plays.

3. Some belong to cultural clubs which meet up for classes in painting, writing, or walking or other activities, usually followed by a lunch in different places.

4. There's a group of Ladies Who Lunch....self explanatory.

5. Many folks find a walking partner or two and go walking around the town or further afield on a daily basis.

6. Some help out with charities, or at one of the animal refuges, cats and dogs.

7. The English Library. (http://www.englishlibrary.mytenerife.eu/).. a busy place which puts on quizzes, luncheons, games, lectures on various subjects, teas.

8. Friends of Tenerife (http://www.friendsoftenerife.com/).....a club which sponsors luncheons and events to raise money for charities.

9. Go to the beach at Playa Jardin, walking and going for lunch in one of the cafes and restaurants or picnicking.

10. Explore the island by car, driving around and stopping for lunch in some unknown little town.

11. Photography as a hobby.....one of mine. Lots of interesting tropical plants and unusual landscapes to capture.

Lots more to do than just sitting in a bar drinking, however sometimes that's alright too when one is with friends.

Yet another quality post from CB :c2::c2::tiphat:

kathml
16-10-2014, 19:42
Depends on your age I spend five weeks at a time in Medano don't know where the time goes as you get older you adopt a mañana life style get up in morning go for coffee then move cafés possibly another coffee or a beer then Ts lunch time usually a snack then in summer when it's hot spend time in apartment when it's cooler walk in evening meet friends for a meal or a solo meal bed between 11/12 last time I went any further than chafiras was around a year ago
Have all I want in my windy dirty town
Ten years ago if anyone had said I would be happy living this way I would have said they were daft
If yo want to do other things there's plenty it s up to you

delderek
16-10-2014, 19:45
You really could ask the same question, what to do when you retire in the UK. I spent fairly long periods in Tenerife, and after the normal two weeks, it was a little strange, but you soon get used to a different life style. You may watch more TV, you would probably maintain the property a bit more, cooking more meals. So basically do what you would do in the UK, but take longer over it, oh and plus get a lot more excercise by walking about in nice weather. The biggest wrench of course is giving up the business. But that is no different wherever you live.

warbey
16-10-2014, 20:06

You ask a valid question but i wonder why.?
You own an Apartment You say.
Why not try three Weeks there for Yourselves, then maybe Four or more
Just ease Yourselves in and find out by Personal Experience.

We managed a three Week Hotel stay which was lovely. Four would have been better!
Do You use all the facilities at Home?. Most don't, so why change.

Good Luck..................:tiphat:

My ideal Solution would be to have a Home , Home and abroad. Many would agree if it were possible (or is)..........................

martincrabb99
16-10-2014, 20:18

You ask a valid question but i wonder why.?
You own an Apartment You say.
Why not try three Weeks there for Yourselves, then maybe Four or more
Just ease Yourselves in and find out by Personal Experience.

We managed a three Week Hotel stay which was lovely. Four would have been better!
Do You use all the facilities at Home?. Most don't, so why change.

Good Luck..................:tiphat:

My ideal Solution would be to have a Home , Home and abroad. Many would agree if it were possible (or is)..........................

That suits me as well but we intend to stay longer in the future especially during the winter months. We maintain a home in the UK and Tenerife and are fortunate enough to have the best of both worlds. When you spend longer in Tenerife you really do more things as you would do at home but as a previous poster says you spend a lot more time outside enjoying life.

SueB
17-10-2014, 11:16
Yes I'm sure that's true! I think I would adapt very quickly - not so sure about my husband though!

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

That suits me as well but we intend to stay longer in the future especially during the winter months. We maintain a home in the UK and Tenerife and are fortunate enough to have the best of both worlds. When you spend longer in Tenerife you really do more things as you would do at home but as a previous poster says you spend a lot more time outside enjoying life.

Yes that is probably what we will do at first too. We are debating whether to sell our UK house or rent it out, but as we don't need the funds to move, we probably would keep it, at least for a while.

You really could ask the same question, what to do when you retire in the UK. I spent fairly long periods in Tenerife, and after the normal two weeks, it was a little strange, but you soon get used to a different life style. You may watch more TV, you would probably maintain the property a bit more, cooking more meals. So basically do what you would do in the UK, but take longer over it, oh and plus get a lot more excercise by walking about in nice weather. The biggest wrench of course is giving up the business. But that is no different wherever you live.

I'm sure we would get used to it, but if my husband did want to take on a project that would probably be easier in the UK, do you know of anyone who has taken on a 'project' in Tenerife, is it feasible?

Canarybird, Thank you for taking the time to list so many wonderful things. It makes me wish our Tenerife home was in Puerto de la Cruz instead of Puerto santiago! But I'm sure there are plenty of similar clubs and activities in the South too.

Stoney
18-10-2014, 09:48
At first you will find it just like a holiday and you will be out most nights just doing the usual holiday things, eating out, having a few beers and trying to find decent bars without the dreaded karoke. But after a while you kind of ease into the Canarian way of life, doing what you want, when you want and not rushing about at 100 miles an hour to do it now. There is nothing you can do to stop it, it just creeps up on you and relaxes you, exactly what you should be doing in retirement, you have earn't it so why not enjoy it. If you are an animal lover then getting a dog is a great idea, the long walks in the sun, obviously not in the heat of the day, with the odd stop off points for a coffee sarny or whatever you fancy, most places accept dogs if kept under control, unlike the UK which the majority seem to say sorry no dogs allowed except guide dogs. One of the best things is just sit on the balcony and watch the sun go down with a nice glass of your favourite tipple, so a place with a view is essential. We planned to do all sorts when we first came out the the reef but the way of life just grabbed us and we just plodded along, literally doing nothing most days but just enjoying our time together. If you can afford to by a car do it then explore the island properly the place, is full of beautiful little villages. If you get the local free papers you will see there are plenty of activities advertised all over the island none are too far away, as long as you have your own transport, you just make it a morning, afternoon or night out. No doubt you have worked hard most of you life, now is the time to relax and enjoy yourselves, at the wonderful leisurely Tenerifian pace.

golf birdie
18-10-2014, 10:28
IMO you die of boredom without something to fill your days and the island is just too small to fill 24 hours 7 day a week. The day I retire is the day I am on the 1st plane back to the UK.

scotchmist
18-10-2014, 19:56
Hi Golf Birdie sorry to hear you talk about leaving Tenerife you must have had a lot of enjoyment on the island I am not so lucky as I cant afford to move to Tenerife as much as I would love to move over.

Stoney
18-10-2014, 21:55
Hey Golf Birdie, sorry thats the way you feel about the reef but I can understand it, I know quite a few people who felt the same way when they moved back. We have been back in the Uk for nearly 2 yrs now due to family members illness. We still miss the place, although when we go back I must admit it will only over the winter period. The middle of summer does get too hot to do anything other than sleep.

balababe
23-10-2014, 16:59
The internet, Skype, what's app - and how keen your family are to visit you for some reason! We are very happy here.

tonythorne
24-10-2014, 06:42
I've never really retired, thanks to my writing. That and the way I can use the Internet means I never have enough time to do everything I'd like to do.

martincrabb99
24-10-2014, 06:47
I've never really retired, thanks to my writing. That and the way I can use the Internet means I never have enough time to do everything I'd like to do.

That's a good thing.....keep on writing and utilising the Internet. I'm up making tea before I start gardening...weather permitting!

Tom & Sharon
24-10-2014, 17:49
I think it depends on your age, and if you're actually ready to retire anyway. What your hobbies are, can you still do them in Tenerife?

Tom took early retirement (voluntary redundancy) at 50 from National Grid, and gets his private pension. We had bought our apartment with a view to living in Tenerife anyway. When he first finished, he went straight from working in the UK, to sitting on the sofa and walking the dog in Tenerife. Sounds great on paper, but in reality it is boring. His hobbies are motor racing and target shooting, neither of which he can do in Tenerife. It's not the same for me, because I don't work anyway any more, but for a man who's worked all his life, it's a massive change. Even so, I find Tenerife gets boring after long periods because it just doesn't have the shopping that I like.

We're in the very fortunate position that we could live in Tenerife all the time on rental income and Tom's pension, spend our days doing nothing, walking the dog, sipping wine etc., but we've tried that, and for now, we're too young for it. It sounds idyllic, but you've got to do something, and for us at the moment, Tenerife just doesn't have enough to hold us there for 12 months of the year.

Tom now works in the UK again, but on a 9 months contract, which gives him 3 months to spend in Tenerife. I can have longer if I wish. For now, this suits us, and in time we will probably change the ratio to 6 months and 6. This should ease us into old age nicely :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

If I were you, I'd keep your house in the UK, and all your options open. Your husband may find he doesn't like it. The fact that he fancies a DIY project makes him sound to me like he might be a bit like Tom. Contrary to what a lot of people think, a life of doing nothing in the sun isn't for everybody!

warbey
24-10-2014, 19:26
I seem to remember a few Marriages Failed because One wanted to stay in the U.K. got fed up in Tenerife and went Home
leaving Their Spouse behind. Make sure BOTH want it...

Bee
25-10-2014, 00:51
Interestingly, I have read all these posts and, apart from the lady who lives in Puerto de la Cruz , not one has suggested anything to actually DO in the south. I´ve lived here 10 years and am bored senseless. My husband likes it and has a good life here but there is nothing for me. I go back to the UK for a while each year to keep my sanity! Taking it easy, watching the sun go down etc etc is all fine but it´s not enough.
My advice would be to think about moving here permanently very very carefully indeed - stick to holidays and keep your life where you´re most happy.

Tom & Sharon
25-10-2014, 11:56
Interestingly, I have read all these posts and, apart from the lady who lives in Puerto de la Cruz , not one has suggested anything to actually DO in the south. I´ve lived here 10 years and am bored senseless. My husband likes it and has a good life here but there is nothing for me. I go back to the UK for a while each year to keep my sanity! Taking it easy, watching the sun go down etc etc is all fine but it´s not enough.
My advice would be to think about moving here permanently very very carefully indeed - stick to holidays and keep your life where you´re most happy.

That's my point too. There's just not enough for me to do either. There's not enough shops for me with enough things in them either. I like to swim, but ironically I swim more in the UK. Our community pool isn't heated and it's really only warm enough to swim in June to September. Other than that it's bloody freezing! You can swim in it, but it's torture. I'd rather be in my nice warm health club in UK, with it's pool, jacuzzi and steam room. Not what I envisaged when we bought in Tenerife at all.

I've said this before on another thread, but I like the buzz of the UK. It's something I didn't really think about before we had our apartment. I like the busy roads, the traffic, the shops piled high with goods, the busy bars and restaurants, and things like the Xmas markets which will be open shortly. That's what makes me feel alive.

On Amarilla Golf where we are, people play golf (not every one) and they go for a walk. That's it! They walk and walk and walk. Nice weather, nice scenery, maybe call at a bar on your way back. But that's it. Now if that's enough for you 12 months of the year you'll love it. But for me it isn't. I love it when I'm there, it's a lovely change, but month in month out, year in year out, I think I'd go mental!

primrose
25-10-2014, 12:04
Die of boredom.

canarybird
25-10-2014, 13:17
Some quotes on the subject: :-)

“Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing.”
― Benjamin Franklin

“The world is so full of a number of things, I’m sure we should all be as happy as kings.”
― Robert Louis Stevenson

“If we all did the things we are really capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves.”
― Thomas A. Edison

“When you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this - you haven't.”
― Thomas A. Edison

“To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.”
― Oscar Wilde

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

“It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth -- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up --
that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had.”
― Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

“Don't say you don't have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michaelangelo, Mother Teresa,
Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein.”
― H. Jackson Brown Jr.

Tom & Sharon
25-10-2014, 13:44
Nice sentiment Canary Bird, but probably none of us are going to reinvent the theory of relativity, paint a masterpiece or invent a new drug, but I get the point!

It's still important to remember that retirement in the sun isn't for everyone. You have to have something to do which is realistic, which obviously the above aren't!

I have to say that when I was younger, I didn't like Puerto de la Cruz at all, but now I'm older, I do actually prefer it to the south. If I was going to buy a home in Tenerife to retire to, there's a good chance that's where I would choose.

primrose
25-10-2014, 13:53
Nice sentiment Canary Bird, but probably none of us are going to reinvent the theory of relativity, paint a masterpiece or invent a new drug, but I get the point!

It's still important to remember that retirement in the sun isn't for everyone. You have to have something to do which is realistic, which obviously the above aren't!

I have to say that when I was younger, I didn't like Puerto de la Cruz at all, but now I'm older, I do actually prefer it to the south. If I was going to buy a home in Tenerife to retire to, there's a good chance that's where I would choose.

Well said Sharon, couldn't agree with you more, except the bit about you get the point, because I have no idea why these quotes were posted.

Tom & Sharon
25-10-2014, 14:05
Well said Sharon, couldn't agree with you more, except the bit about you get the point, because I have no idea why these quotes were posted.

Well the point is Primrose (I think?!) that life is what you make it, which is true.

However, that doesn't necessarily mean that Tenerife, or any other place in the sun, is the best place to do it! For everybody that is........

primrose
25-10-2014, 14:16
Well the point is Primrose (I think?!) that life is what you make it, which is true.

However, that doesn't necessarily mean that Tenerife, or any other place in the sun, is the best place to do it! For everybody that is........

That is what I do not understand about Canarybirds quotes, sometimes you have no choice you have to take what life throws at you and you have to make sacrifices for the sake of somebody else but it is not always the right thing for you.Surely you have a right to express an opinion without somebody coming back at you and quoting others opinions, if we could all live our life like the quotes we would.

bulldog
25-10-2014, 15:19
I,ve lived and worked here many years when I was working it was O.K. but in the last few years since I retired it gets boring it used to tickle me when customers
would say to me it must be great living here finish work shower sit on the terrace with a glass of wine I,d say yeah great in reality it.s home shower a dorada in
hand right in to all the soaps, stuff the bloody sun I,d seen enough of that to last me a life time I think most people are the same you move a bit to the right
a bit to the left but basically you are what you are.

canarybird
25-10-2014, 15:56
Yes Primrose and Sharon, the point I was making to the question posed by the OP on what retirees do in Tenerife, is that your life here is what you make of it, and that goes for the good as well as the hardships.

We are in any place as the result of the life choices we made but yes, life does throw some unpleasant surprises at you and at times you have to sacrifice for the sake of someone else.

I've been going through some distressing stuff myself the past years so know what you mean. The choice is in how you handle the situation that was thrown at you.

But the OP was asking what we do here on the island after retirement, and my point again is....you are the captain of your own ship and can entertain yourself according to your own imagination.

Tenerife has many possibilities if this is the place you want to be.

The quotes were meant to be inspiring, not critical. :)

bonitatime
25-10-2014, 16:24
There is loads to do but you need to speak some Spanish
Yesterday i saw For The First time a football sala game due to the rain in SC, Uruguay which is a First división team played in las Torres
Every cultural centre has activities both in terms of workshops and courses.
The Old people centres had loads going on, talks visits Excursions, there are cheap tríps all over Spain
There is lots if walking both in The north And South. There us a chess club in Adeje And i presume other places. From time to time i have seen Adverts for bridge clubs. We have ópera, concerts and musicals both in Santa Cruz and the south
There is lots to do but for many it is easier to vegetate on their resort and complain

Sundowner
25-10-2014, 17:28
Watch a bike tied to a lamppost:zzz:

I have not retired yet, but I am in the planning stage.
The Tenerife forum has helped me a lot, even the negative posts make you think and give balance to any preconceived ideas you may have of life in the sun.
I will be trying the 2 homes option, UK and tenerife and see how it goes.

If you do base yourself in Tenerife, there is nothing to stop you visiting other countries or indeed other islands it's not a prison you can leave anytime you want!
We are all different and need different solutions. There is no one size fits all.

warbey
25-10-2014, 18:47
Are We not getting a bit carried away here.?

For Me, I would be as careful as possible to make a Home near to a Supermercado, Garage, Doctors Bus Stop etc etc

NOT on a Complex with the Irritations They incur, with preferably a Sea View if only in the Distance.

I don't often do culture, but a Newspaper is welcome and a Telly for Nights in.

I know of People struggling to keep above Water who can't afford Trips and Excursions.

We don't have all that much in Life Here in the U.K. so why should Tenerife be treated differently.?.

go for a Walk along a Prom, or a Seat there and Company will come along a lot.

Funnily enough, how about Meeting and liking Holidaymakers who then have to go back?

A House with a manageable Garden too. Grow something. or get a Dog or both

I have met some lovely People in Tenerife and I still expect to meet more. (Fingers crossed)

primrose
25-10-2014, 19:12
Are We not getting a bit carried away here.?

For Me, I would be as careful as possible to make a Home near to a Supermercado, Garage, Doctors Bus Stop etc etc

NOT on a Complex with the Irritations They incur, with preferably a Sea View if only in the Distance.

I don't often do culture, but a Newspaper is welcome and a Telly for Nights in.

I know of People struggling to keep above Water who can't afford Trips and Excursions.

We don't have all that much in Life Here in the U.K. so why should Tenerife be treated differently.?.

go for a Walk along a Prom, or a Seat there and Company will come along a lot.

Funnily enough, how about Meeting and liking Holidaymakers who then have to go back?

A House with a manageable Garden too. Grow something. or get a Dog or both

I have met some lovely People in Tenerife and I still expect to meet more. (Fingers crossed)

With the greatest respect warbey, coming here on holiday is absolutely nothing like living here, Tenerife is a great place for a holiday totally different living here.We probably all thought like you when we imagined life here as a resident, reality is a lot different.

delderek
25-10-2014, 19:46
Interesting thread this. It surely depends where you live. Same as the UK. if you live out in the sticks, you have to travel to find any life. I have friends in Callao Salvaje and also on the Golf complexes, all are nice for a visit, but to live there would drive me nuts. I had my place in Los Cris (Oasis Del Sur) that to me was perfect. Had the buzz of the town centre, with the traffic jams. Decent smart shops 15 mins walk away. The sea and the promenade a similar distance, dozens of bars and restaurants, or nightlife in LA 30 mins walk. Didn't need a car, 5 mins from the bus station to get a cheap bus up to Santa Cruz if needing something special to buy. So to say Tenerife is boring is too much of a general statement. Like trying to compare living for instance in Kensington, or rural Devon.

SueB
25-10-2014, 20:47
Thanks so much for all your input and I'm pleased it has generated so much interest, please keep it coming we are making lots of notes!

warbey
25-10-2014, 21:02
[QUOTE=delderek;408657]Interesting thread this. It surely depends where you live. Same as the UK. if you live out in the sticks, you have to travel to find any life. I have friends in Callao Salvaje and also on the Golf complexes, all are nice for a visit, but to live there would drive me nuts. I had my place in Los Cris (Oasis Del Sur) that to me was perfect. Had the buzz of the town centre, with the traffic jams. Decent smart shops 15 mins walk away. The sea and the promenade a similar distance, dozens of bars and restaurants, or nightlife in LA 30 mins walk. Didn't need a car, 5 mins from the bus station to get a cheap bus up to Santa Cruz if needing something special to buy. So to say Tenerife is boring is too much of a general statement. Like trying to compare living for instance in Kensington, or rural Devon.[/QUOTE

Exactly.......]

Tom & Sharon
25-10-2014, 22:21
There is loads to do but you need to speak some Spanish
Yesterday i saw For The First time a football sala game due to the rain in SC, Uruguay which is a First división team played in las Torres
Every cultural centre has activities both in terms of workshops and courses.
The Old people centres had loads going on, talks visits Excursions, there are cheap tríps all over Spain
There is lots if walking both in The north And South. There us a chess club in Adeje And i presume other places. From time to time i have seen Adverts for bridge clubs. We have ópera, concerts and musicals both in Santa Cruz and the south
There is lots to do but for many it is easier to vegetate on their resort and complain

You see, I can't agree with this. Bonitatime, your answer to everything is "you need to speak Spanish". Well, that isn't the answer to everything.

It's not about whether or not you can speak Spanish, but whether or not the Spanish way of life is for you - and don't forget we're talking retirement here, not anything else.

The Spanish in old age don't do much. It's more apparent on the mainland than Tenerife, but they generally sit around and chat. They sit on their doorsteps on chairs, chatting to neighbours, watching the world go by. Not even a drink in hand. Now Bonitatime, I know you're well ensconced into Spanish life, but if that's all I've got to look forward to in old age, shoot me now!

If the things you've mentioned will be enough for the OP in retirement that's great, but for me it wouldn't be. Granted there's the odd concert and opera, but it's hardly the same as what's on offer in the UK. Our cities abound with theatres, plays, concerts, art galleries, ballet, shops, markets, restaurants...........

The OP has to decide whether or not retiring to the sunshine in Tenerife compensates for the loss of everything she can enjoy in the UK. If it does, then that's great, but it's something that has to be considered very carefully.

TheBloke
26-10-2014, 00:39
Why don't you start a thread that celebrates everything British in all it's glory on another forum.......all you do is put down Tenerife on this one.
Bugger off

Angusjim
26-10-2014, 08:56
Why don't you start a thread that celebrates everything British in all it's glory on another forum.......all you do is put down Tenerife on this one.
Bugger off
I find the discussion on this thread very interesting and agree with some comments but disagree with some, maybe you could give your thoughts about what the good and bad points are from your point of view or on the other hand maybe you should heed you own advice;):tiphat:

Skeggy
26-10-2014, 08:56
No one size fits all, I once lost a lot of weight a lady asked me how i did it, I told her I ate salad as the main part of my diet, she said I don't like salad.

Tony the Welder
26-10-2014, 09:14
every one looks forward to retiring , but it is not all it cracked up to be , it dose not matter were you retire , but Tenerife dose have the nice weather trying to fill the void of not working for me is an impossible task , there is always lots of things to do but is getting motivated to do them and i think that is my answer no more moaning about nothing to do , it is just an excuse to do nothing , time to go lots to do

canarybird
26-10-2014, 11:17
Certainly European towns and cities have shops, galleries and concerts which can be enjoyed by all ages.
But senior retirees tend to take things at an easier pace.

Sometimes sitting with friends watching a concert on TV is less tiring than changing clothes, traveling to an auditorium, sitting in a crowd with strangers and driving home again.
Priorities change with age. Comfort and convenience often becomes more important than attending an event out in the city.

I've always found it quite charming to see the elderly men of Spanish villages sitting together outside local cafes or bars, leaning on their walking sticks, watching the world go by.
One Mallorcan friend's nephew used to take his grandfather down to the local cafe on Sundays and sit him down with his friends, picking him up at a later hour.

And I thought how sweet it was to see the youngster caring in this way, and how much better it was to see the old folk treated as an integral part of the family and enjoying the company of their peers than in a nursing home or sitting alone in a little room waiting for meals on wheels to arrive with their dinner.

Lonely seniors seem to be more common in northern countries than in Spain. The warm climate here encourages more outdoor activities, just sitting in a group and chatting being one of them.
Having company is so important for the well being of seniors. And we have all seen how the Canary people enjoy their many fiestas where all ages are present as a family in the celebrations.

But for the younger retirees, such as the OPs, there is plenty to do here if one cares to investigate and try out the options.

Just being creative and learning to do something new can bring great satisfaction:

Plant a garden, learn to draw or paint, take cooking classes, learn pottery, knit socks for the homeless, make jam for your neighbours, help out at a children's home, walk dogs from the refuges, clean the cat cages at the refuges, learn to fish, carve wooden whistles, crochet, join a choir, read to the elderly or help them to the supermarket, build a stone wall, make hippie jewellery and sell it in a market, bake cakes for friends, make rag rugs, make flower baskets, read books you never got around to but always meant to, study botany, learn about volcanic rocks, take photos of local insects and learn their names, look up at the night sky and study the stars, learn the names of the constellations, keep a diary and fill it, go out every day and take candid photos of everything you see, press flowers and leaves in a scrapbook and write their names underneath in English and Spanish, learn a new word every week in any language, learn palmistry, walk 10,000 steps per day as recommended for best health,
make mosaic table tops from broken crockery chips, make wooden or cloth toys for children's homes and hospitals..........and so on.

martincrabb99
26-10-2014, 11:23
As some posters have stated this is a really interesting thread and I suppose we are all different and have different perspectives on the subject. I am not retired and living in Tenerife but spend a lot of time on the island and whilst I am here live a full and interesting life. I do understand though what Primrose has said about living here full time and the pressures which some people face especially if there are problems in the household or ill health which will places strain on families. It all depends on what your current situation is and of course what may occur in the future. The future is something we all have to think about and any decision to move here full time should be considered really carefully. I love Tenerife and everything which goes with it but I have a good life in the UK as well so I have decided to have the best of both. Of course I know that I am fortunate to be able to do that but it is also my choice. I am retired and lead a full life but as I have said we are all different....thank goodness.

Tom & Sharon
26-10-2014, 11:24
Bugger off

But you've not retired yet, so you haven't a clue what we're on about.

All we're saying is that retirement is hard all by itself. You need something to do, and the question is whether Tenerife has enough to do or not. Like all things, it's "horses for courses". For some people it will be enough, for others it won't. I fall into the latter category. That's not to say I don't like it when I'm there, because I do. There's just not enough for me to be there 12 months of the year.

We've just been to Barbados. I wouldn't like to live there either for the same reasons. That's not to say it's not a beautiful island for a holiday though.

Holidaying/living - totally different things!

bulldog
26-10-2014, 12:05
I think the people who come to live in Tenerife only after they have retired will find it the hardest they seem to live in a bubble just a few words of Spanish
mixing only with people in the same position, they never stay long ,as we all know when you,re older your health suffers a simple thing like making a doctors
appointment is beyond their reach the pressure of things like that will become to much after a while, we have our younger children and grandchildren here
who only speak English with us even our children speak spanish to each other,so we know even in our dotage we have all the support we need.Enjoy Tenerife
as a holiday maker but be realistic ,can you cope with the pressure of daily life at an age when most need the help from family.

primrose
26-10-2014, 12:45
As some posters have stated this is a really interesting thread and I suppose we are all different and have different perspectives on the subject. I am not retired and living in Tenerife but spend a lot of time on the island and whilst I am here live a full and interesting life. I do understand though what Primrose has said about living here full time and the pressures which some people face especially if there are problems in the household or ill health which will places strain on families. It all depends on what your current situation is and of course what may occur in the future. The future is something we all have to think about and any decision to move here full time should be considered really carefully. I love Tenerife and everything which goes with it but I have a good life in the UK as well so I have decided to have the best of both. Of course I know that I am fortunate to be able to do that but it is also my choice. I am retired and lead a full life but as I have said we are all different....thank goodness.

The one thing that not many people think about when they consider retiring here is if anything happens health wise and one partner is left to care for the other,you really are on your own there is no help here like there is in the UK, and yes I know people moan about cutbacks but there is still some help or organisations or groups for specific disabilities where you are able to get help and advice. I am different to many that retire here as my OH had his disability before we left the UK and we moved here for a better life for him but I never imagined it would be so difficult, but if the unexpected happens after you retire here not able to speak the language and you are on your own having to cope with no help it will be extremely difficult martincrabb99 and Tom & Sharon have both got it right don't cut all ties with the UK keep that as your base and have the best of both worlds.Enjoy long holidays here it really is a fantastic place for a holiday but to retire to ?
I read Canarybirds post about taking up different hobbies,just one example I used to make hand made cards did Decoupage, Pergamano and embossing but the Craft Shops closed down so that was the end of my hobby, it is not like England where there are craft shops in most towns so you are very limited as you are with most things here.I think you are doing the right thing asking peoples advice but think very carefully before you cut all ties with the UK.

firemanfoz
26-10-2014, 13:14
My wife and I spend two periods of between 8 and ten weeks at a time, December to the new year and from March to June. My wife goes to art classes three times a week, we walk, eat out occasionally (subject to finances), swim, cook most days both taking turns, talk, read loads, snooze, internet, face time children and grand children. Basically we do what we want when we want.
Would I move permanently to Tenerife NO because summer in the UK is the best place in the world.

Tshirt
26-10-2014, 13:23
My wife and I spend two periods of between 8 and ten weeks at a time, December to the new year and from March to June. My wife goes to art classes three times a week, we walk, eat out occasionally (subject to finances), swim, cook most days both taking turns, talk, read loads, snooze, internet, face time children and grand children. Basically we do what we want when we want.
Would I move permanently to Tenerife NO because summer in the UK is the best place in the world.

Finances, that's one thing that's been overlooked here. Lot's of people can't afford to do everything they'd like to do in their retirement and you have to cut your cloth accordingly.

firemanfoz
26-10-2014, 13:33
My top tips.
Learn the language at least enough to be polite.
Shop and eat where the locals do.
Careful not to get into a drinking culture, we have friends who are proud that they 'don't drink before 6pm', a statement on it's own.
Try and make Spanish friends.
Just a start.
By the way what an excellent post, very interesting.

Hepa
26-10-2014, 13:53
We are retired and live on the Meridian Island of El Hierro, here we are two of the four English residents, hardly anyone on this Island speaks English, everything here caters for the Canary Islanders, there are no English bars or shops like Iceland, once there were more English, the others could not or did not assimilate to the Herreño style of life, so they left.

People have asked me, "What do you find to do?" I do here exactly what I did in England, only here I do it in the sunshine and not in the rain or cold.

We walk, we cycle, bird watching, we have a huge garden that provides us with fruit and vegetables, at the moment we are drying a glut of figs, on a sunny roof terrace that we have near the coast, the garden always needs attention.

We socialize with the local population, enjoying a glass or two along with a laugh and a joke, the other night we were conversing with a lady from Montevideo, Uruguay, yesterday I spoke with a Frenchman who was here on holiday, tonight I shall go and visit a Venezuelan friend, who has a restaurant/bar on the other side of the island.

We visit Gran Canaria twice a year, and next month we will have a few days in Los Cristianos, meeting family who are holidaying from England.

We also help the tourist information office, translating articles into English. We are also the voluntary representatives of the British Consulate in Tenerife.

So all in all we have plenty to do and plenty more to see. Many thing are recorded on photographs, view for yourself our beautiful island, link below.

https://plus.google.com/photos/109554244082575937272/albums/5598418677482639217?banner=pwa

KirstyJay
26-10-2014, 14:20
We are retired and live on the Meridian Island of El Hierro, here we are two of the four English residents, hardly anyone on this Island speaks English, everything here caters for the Canary Islanders, there are no English bars or shops like Iceland, once there were more English, the others could not or did not assimilate to the Herreño style of life, so they left.

People have asked me, "What do you find to do?" I do here exactly what I did in England, only here I do it in the sunshine and not in the rain or cold.

We walk, we cycle, bird watching, we have a huge garden that provides us with fruit and vegetables, at the moment we are drying a glut of figs, on a sunny roof terrace that we have near the coast, the garden always needs attention.

We socialize with the local population, enjoying a glass or two along with a laugh and a joke, the other night we were conversing with a lady from Montevideo, Uruguay, yesterday I spoke with a Frenchman who was here on holiday, tonight I shall go and visit a Venezuelan friend, who has a restaurant/bar on the other side of the island.

We visit Gran Canaria twice a year, and next month we will have a few days in Los Cristianos, meeting family who are holidaying from England.

We also help the tourist information office, translating articles into English. We are also the voluntary representatives of the British Consulate in Tenerife.

So all in all we have plenty to do and plenty more to see. Many thing are recorded on photographs, view for yourself our beautiful island, link below.

https://plus.google.com/photos/109554244082575937272/albums/5598418677482639217?banner=pwa

What a great post. El Hierro is a lot quieter than Tenerife, so if you can find things to do there, Tenerife would be a doddle in comparison!

The Spanish in old age don't do much. It's more apparent on the mainland than Tenerife, but they generally sit around and chat. They sit on their doorsteps on chairs, chatting to neighbours, watching the world go by. Not even a drink in hand. Now Bonitatime, I know you're well ensconced into Spanish life, but if that's all I've got to look forward to in old age, shoot me now!

If the things you've mentioned will be enough for the OP in retirement that's great, but for me it wouldn't be. Granted there's the odd concert and opera, but it's hardly the same as what's on offer in the UK. Our cities abound with theatres, plays, concerts, art galleries, ballet, shops, markets, restaurants...........

I'm sorry, this is incorrect. With all due respect, just because you see people say around on benches chatting does not necessarily mean that this is all that the Spanish old aged pensioners do. It's very far from the truth, in fact.

I am not retired yet, but I work in the afternoons, so all the stuff I do for myself I do in the mornings and I see a fair few of the retired ladies and gents of my municipality doing activities too.

Each town usually has a 'Tecera Edad' or 'third age' group, which is for the retired folks. There's one in virtually every town in my municipality. Just as there is a Women's Association and a Young people's association. Here is a list of all of the contact details for the Tercera Edad groups in Guia de Isora : http://www.guiadeisora.org/areas/servicio-social-tercera-edad-y-colectivos-de-att-especial/asociaciones-y-club

They organise activities, get together, do pilates, tai-chi, yoga, go out to lunch, etc... they organise activities for the fiestas... at my local pool there is a group for aerobics and water aerobics, which meets daily. They also do zumba clases for the retired people there. There's a painting group in Guía Casco too and hiking groups, needlepoint, crafts, etc etc.

So, within the Spanish communities there are many activities. You don't necessarily have to speak Spanish to take part and enjoy them, but it helps. In the group for Chío there is an English lady from my village that despite all her efforts, just cannot pick up the language, however she attends all the meetings and goes to all the activities and the Spanish ladies take care of her and they seem to manage to communicate.

I used to go to Women's Association, but I work when they meet now, so I can't. I still meet up with them and have them on my facebook page though.

KirstyJay
26-10-2014, 14:26
Here is the area for Tercera Edad in Adeje's website : http://www.adeje.es/mayores

And here is Arona : http://www.arona.org/portal/p_91_lmenu_v9.jsp?codMenu=123&codMenuPN=1457&codMenuSN=111&codResi=1&language=es

canarybird
26-10-2014, 18:35
Yes Kirsty now that you mention that, there are active centers of "tercer edad", or seniors groups where locals meet for recreation or study. A widowed Canary lady friend of mine who is in my Pilates class goes twice weekly to what she calls the "centro de mayores" or seniors' center, in Pto de la Cruz, where they offer many activities including afternoons of dancing, reading and book reviews, speakers and instructors, a low cost restaurant and inexpensive group holidays to the mainland, including excursions to nearby cities, hotel and board. So these centers do play an important part in the lives of the local senior citizens, but I understand foreigners are also welcome.

firemanfoz
26-10-2014, 21:02
I have enjoyed the thread. We stay Tenerife twice a year for a couple of months a time and it has opened my eyes to what is available. I have found this a very useful discussion and thank all the contributors.
Is there a forum for older people who want to suggest where to go, what to do or just meet for a chat?

warbey
26-10-2014, 21:22
I have enjoyed the thread. We stay Tenerife twice a year for a couple of months a time and it has opened my eyes to what is available. I have found this a very useful discussion and thank all the contributors.
Is there a forum for older people who want to suggest where to go, what to do or just meet for a chat?

I do believe there are Spanish Classes held in a few Places.

i learnt a little and went to Night School here for a Term to learn a little more.

knowing a few words opens Doors i have found. learn some if You can, You are in Their country.

firemanfoz
26-10-2014, 21:29
I totally agree, I talk to the staff at the complex where we stay some who speak no English. I dive in with both feet which makes them laugh but we then have fun trying to explain ourselves. My wife speaks fluent 'supermarket'

Hepa
27-10-2014, 13:01
Here no one will or can speak English, so we have learnt the language, last year we went to Los Cristianos to meet up with my daughter and partner, who were having a break from the English winter. When entering a restaurant a local shouted to the waitress, " Yolande, hay quatro guiris en mesa cinco," (Yolande there are four Guiris, a derogatory term for Northern Europeans, on table five) I was able to reply, " Si maricon, somos Guiris, pero podemos hablar en castellano," Yes Fagot we are guiris but we can speak spanish." This caused great hilarity to the other staff in the restaurant, the man slunk off but later came back and apologised.

Malteser Monkey
27-10-2014, 13:05
Here no one will or can speak English, so we have learnt the language, last year we went to Los Cristianos to meet up with my daughter and partner, who were having a break from the English winter. When entering a restaurant a local shouted to the waitress, " Yolande, hay quatro guiris en mesa cinco," (Yolande there are four Guiris, a derogatory term for Northern Europeans, on table five) I was able to reply, " Si maricon, somos Guiris, pero podemos hablar en castellano," Yes Fagot we are guiris but we can speak spanish." This caused great hilarity to the other staff in the restaurant, the man slunk off but later came back and apologised.

Love it ! Yes I have to admit it's great when summit like that happens

Ecky Thump
27-10-2014, 13:56

There is a bar in Los Cristianos called El Colonel-but its affectionately known as the "Pensioners Bar" the main discussions are about the British weather/their pensions and what time will they meet later in the day for another drink! :-))

Malteser Monkey
27-10-2014, 14:02
There is a bar in Los Cristianos called El Colonel-but its affectionately known as the "Pensioners Bar" the main discussions are about the British weather/their pensions and what time will they meet later in the day for another drink! :-))

and they're not watching the webcam ?

Ecky Thump
27-10-2014, 14:13
and they're not watching the webcam ?

Oh no! It's far to expensive for them here-at the El Coronel, they think they have been robbed it they spend more than €5 in a eight hour drinking session, plus you have to show your Uk pension book to get in!!

Malteser Monkey
27-10-2014, 14:19
Oh no! It's far to expensive for them here-at the El Coronel, they think they have been robbed it they spend more than €5 in a eight hour drinking session, plus you have to show your Uk pension book to get in!!

You're there :whistle::scotland:

primrose
27-10-2014, 14:24

How long where you there for????

SueB
27-10-2014, 16:15

Thank you Hepa, I have just added one more item to my "Things to do when I retire to Tenerife" list - visit El Hierro !

Westminster
30-01-2015, 19:57
We spend around 6 months annually in our Tenerife home, usually in 2 month blocks. We always hire a car for the duration of our visit, and that enables us to tour around a little.
Our life is similar to that in England, we like to walk, dine out, go to concerts, read, watch some TV, shopping, and life carries on.
We have a Movifresh TV box which in conjunction with our Movistar Internet allows to watch any British TV channel so we keep up to date with all that is happening in the UK.
As one of the respondees said, try staying in your holiday home for a month or so, and see how you get on.

martincrabb99
30-01-2015, 21:16
Looks like I've got to go to Tenerife on my own in February and March I don't know what I will be doing [emoji476][emoji460]️[emoji464][emoji466]️[emoji387][emoji481][emoji482][emoji485][emoji474][emoji483][emoji492]

imablue
30-01-2015, 21:28
Ah well that leaves plenty of time for having a drink or 5...:party2::party2::ducky:

Jabba43
31-01-2015, 14:15
Plenty to do here and plenty of cheap flights to the rest of europe if you have the cash. You are only limited by your mind. I am years from retirement but to be honest there are many things to do virtually even before i start thinking about the physical world that there is never dull time unless you let your mind trick you.