PDA

View Full Version : Health Is ebola in Tenerife?

essexeddie
29-08-2014, 23:06
The Ebola outbreak is getting close, being that its only across the sea in west Africa. Together with all the black lookie lookie men coming from that area is a bit of a worry me thinks.

nelson
29-08-2014, 23:47
The Ebola outbreak is getting close, being that its only across the sea in west Africa. Together with all the black lookie lookie men coming from that area is a bit of a worry me thinks.

Well disease and pestilence and plague have always travelled fast round the globe. Proximity of Tenerife to Africa is a fact and lookie men come from Africa , but at the end of the day we all have to go sometime.

My maternal grandad died at age 41, mrs nelsons brother did the same two years ago , tragically young death age 41. Heart attack .

I lost my dad to a sudden heart attack when he was 57 , quite a shock . In our local paper we have read that the undertaker who did mrs nelsons brothers funeral has died of a heart attack age 55.

If Ebola does not get you something else will , enjoy the time you have and love life, don't worry about any one potential killer plague , none of us gets out of this world alive

Ecky Thump
29-08-2014, 23:48
As far as I'm aware, the Lookie Lookie men come from Senegal and there have been only one case of Ebola there, the Senegal authorities are doing there best to close their border and have stopped flights and shipping from countries that have Ebola outbreaks. The one reported case seems to have been a student from Guinea who knew he had the disease and had fled from his own country.

martincrabb99
30-08-2014, 07:36

I have to be honest the thought crossed my mind however as I do not intend to be exchanging bodily fluids of any kind with these vendors I think I'm safe!

Tshirt
30-08-2014, 11:58
Ebola, hasn't he just signed for Liverpool.....:sorry:

imablue
30-08-2014, 12:18
Ebola, hasn't he just signed for Liverpool.....:sorry:

Yeah!!... heard he spreads it around ......:eyebrows:

essexeddie
30-08-2014, 16:58
I have to be honest the thought crossed my mind however as I do not intend to be exchanging bodily fluids of any kind with these vendors I think I'm safe!

I don't think you need to exchange body fluids to catch it. Its highly contagious, they only have to cough near you to catch it. That's why they are kept in quarantine.
It will soon spread along the west African continent as they are notoriously porous.

martincrabb99
30-08-2014, 17:15
I don't think you need to exchange body fluids to catch it. Its highly contagious, they only have to cough near you to catch it. That's why they are kept in quarantine.
It will soon spread along the west African continent as they are notoriously porous.

A cough contains bodily fluid. You are right though it is highly contagious and the borders are porous. We shouldn't panic though there are no reported cases in Tenerife.

marbro8
30-08-2014, 17:45
QUOTE]
A cough contains bodily fluid. You are right though it is highly contagious and the borders are porous. We shouldn't panic though there are no reported cases in Tenerife.i wonder what the reaction of holidaymakers would be if there were;)

martincrabb99
30-08-2014, 17:47
i wonder what the reaction of holidaymakers would be if there were;)

That would be really interesting.....can you just imagine!

marbro8
30-08-2014, 17:52
That would be really interesting.....can you just imagine!

it would be a bit of a conundrum,do you potentially risk your life for a holiday that you have been looking forward to all year that has cost you hundreds if not thousands???

nelson
30-08-2014, 17:53
Would most likely not make much issue because the victim would be immediately flown off to Madrid in isolation quarenteen for intensive treatment and care, not available in the canaries. A Spanish priest who was helping in Africa got Ebola and was flown back to Madrid , sadly he died . The Irish case guy is being treated in Ireland , was flown there for treatment . Unless a mass outbreak hit Tenerife , say 20 lucky men and their families testing positive in Torres de sol , then it should not become a tenetife scare story

marbro8
30-08-2014, 18:01
Would most likely not make much issue because the victim would be immediately flown off to Madrid in isolation quarenteen for intensive treatment and care, not available in the canaries. A Spanish priest who was helping in Africa got Ebola and was flown back to Madrid , sadly he died . The Irish case guy is being treated in Ireland , was flown there for treatment . Unless a mass outbreak hit Tenerife , say 20 lucky men and their families testing positive in Torres de sol , then it should not become a tenetife scare storyi do enjoy your sensible informative posts;)

essexeddie
30-08-2014, 18:34
I don't want to think about it now. But it is possible.

Ecky Thump
30-08-2014, 19:16
I don't want to think about it now. But it is possible.

I would worry more about catching a cold or influenza, both of which are highly contageous and can kill both young and old.
Worldwide there are between 250,000 and 500,000 flu deaths per year. In a typical flu season, between 3 and 5 million people will have what is considered a serious case of influenza and there are no controls on people traveling with this killer!

Happy Holidays.

marbro8
30-08-2014, 19:29
I would worry more about catching a cold or influenza, both of which are highly contageous and can kill both young and old.
Worldwide there are between 250,000 and 500,000 flu deaths per year. In a typical flu season, between 3 and 5 million people will have what is considered a serious case of influenza and there are no controls on people traveling with this killer!

Happy Holidays.:lol::lol::lol: well that has comforted me:D

Ecky Thump
30-08-2014, 19:47
:lol::lol::lol: well that has comforted me:D

You can try taking copious amounts of alcohol to ward off the germs........
it's well worth a try and if my memory is correct, it's .........FUN:p

marbro8
30-08-2014, 20:00
You can try taking copious amounts of alcohol to ward off the germs........
it's well worth a try and if my memory is correct, it's .........FUN:pi have tried it but you just feel worse in the morning:lol:

trevorife2
30-08-2014, 20:03
Even if its 2 for 1 ??

bulldog
31-08-2014, 09:28
I visited The Gambia and Senegal on a cruise ship last year they are filthy places rats running round the streets during the
day I,m not surprised at the level of disease in them I thought Agadir in Morocco was bad West Africa took it to a whole new
level once seen never to return.

essexeddie
31-08-2014, 14:47

Happy Holidays.

Ecky, I find it strange that you compare Influenza with Ebola being that the chance of dying with Flu is about 2% but with Ebola its about 98%. Both with no known cure. I know which I would sooner tackle and I don't think I am alone on that account.

I too have been to Senegal and an eye opener it was. If the virus ever got there it would have a field day and would soon be over to Tenerife with catastrophic results. Its no laughing matter.

nelson
31-08-2014, 14:54
Ecky, I find it strange that you compare Influenza with Ebola being that the chance of dying with Flu is about 2% but with Ebola its about 98%. Both with no known cure. I know which I would sooner tackle and I don't think I am alone on that account.

I too have been to Senegal and an eye opener it was. If the virus ever got there it would have a field day and would soon be over to Tenerife with catastrophic results. Its no laughing matter.

I have to disagree , life is a tradegy and there is lots of sadness and sorrow . Ebola is causing hurt and pain and bringing death to many in the affected area.

But in the darkest moments human beings can still find humor , it's part of what makes us human , it would be a poor world without it whstever faces us

Ecky Thump
31-08-2014, 15:04

I too have been to Senegal and an eye opener it was. If the virus ever got there it would have a field day and would soon be over to Tenerife with catastrophic results. Its no laughing matter..

The odds of catching the flu are great higher than Ebola, also, as far as holiday makers from the Uk in Tenerife are concerned, the number of elderly folk who are there, are the ones at greater risk and I don't see many of them passing bodily fluids with those who might have the Ebola virus, so you might want to have another look at the odds....I think that the higher risk would be to die of the flue in Tenerife.

I have also traveled and worked in West Africa, Central Africa and East Africa, so I am aware of some of the health risks that linger there.

And as far as no laughing matter, Erma Bombeck once said....

There is a thin line that separates laughter and pain, comedy and tragedy, humor and hurt.
.:crying2::lol:rolleyes2:

essexeddie
31-08-2014, 15:34
We shall see :wink2:

martincrabb99
31-08-2014, 20:34
We shall see :wink2:

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/08/31/1543f254382c67688223b6c31365e5d0.jpgi thought this may be useful.

marbro8
31-08-2014, 20:57
I visited The Gambia and Senegal on a cruise ship last year they are filthy places rats running round the streets during the
day I,m not surprised at the level of disease in them I thought Agadir in Morocco was bad West Africa took it to a whole new
level once seen never to return.and i thought cairo was bad:lol: another place never to be re visited:lol:

blondie
16-10-2014, 16:15
Is it true that a chap from Sierra Leone is in isolation in Candaleria Hospital with Ebola.It certainly would not surprise me with the proximity of Africa to the Canary Islands.

essexeddie
16-10-2014, 16:17
This is what I posted some time ago and was brushed off and told that I stand more chance of dying from Influenza

martincrabb99
16-10-2014, 16:20
This is what I posted some time ago and was brushed off and told that I stand more chance of dying from Influenza

Yep you were the first to raise the possibility of Ebola reaching the Canary Islands but I would like to wait for confirmation.

essexeddie
16-10-2014, 16:22
See here my first thread on the subject.

http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?35341-Ebola

garlicbread
16-10-2014, 16:29
There is a patient undergoing tests in Candelaria hospital with SUSPECTED ebola. There was to have been a press conference at 4pm today so if you're really interested then watch Canarian TV.

Ecky Thump
16-10-2014, 16:38
There is a patient undergoing tests in Candelaria hospital with SUSPECTED ebola. There was to have been a press conference at 4pm today so if you're really interested then watch Canarian TV.

Unfortunately the majority of us on the forum are unable to view Canarian TV, so maybe that's why Blondie was asking.

Angusjim
16-10-2014, 16:39
Unfortunately the majority of us on the forum are unable to view Canarian TV, so maybe that's why Blondie was asking.

Update 16 October: The Canarian health department, Sanidad, says that it has activated its protocol for ebola after a Sierra Leone national who left his country on 8 October and arrived in Tenerife on Sunday, has now presented with a fever. The man is said to have a temperature of 37.7º and is being treated in isolation in Candelaria hospital under the terms and conditions of the protocol after being collected from his home. Candelaria hospital is said to be carrying out detailed analytical tests which will be sent to the Instituto de Salud Carlos III in Madrid, with results expected in around 24 hours. Sanidad says that health professionals are prepared for these types of situations, and asked the public to be calm and confident in the authorities. A press conference will be given around 4pm.

martincrabb99
16-10-2014, 20:40
There is an update on the JA website timed at 1630 hrs but no confirmation of Ebola as blood tests are being conducted. The patient has a high temperature and a sore throat and all protocols which are applicable are being applied.

essexeddie
16-10-2014, 21:16
Perhaps he has INFLUENZA 8)

martincrabb99
16-10-2014, 21:21
Perhaps he has INFLUENZA 8)

I suppose the blood tests will reveal all and if it is confirmed as Ebola then we will be better informed.

chifleta
16-10-2014, 23:35
Not confirmed, but the video was amusing, the Spanish lady says "ohhhh he's white" in a surprised voice.... LOL

princessmonika
17-10-2014, 05:04
the very old saying africa is the white man's grave --

tonythorne
17-10-2014, 08:05
What will be the procedure now when an open boat loaded with Africans approaches the island?

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

That expert is either under a delusion, or coercion. The BBC says deaths have already exceeded his figure and the total numbers infected are doubling every 3 weeks.

tonythorne
17-10-2014, 08:56
Update 16 October: The Canarian health department, Sanidad, says that it has activated its protocol for ebola after a Sierra Leone national who left his country on 8 October and arrived in Tenerife on Sunday, has now presented with a fever. The man is said to have a temperature of 37.7º and is being treated in isolation in Candelaria hospital under the terms and conditions of the protocol after being collected from his home. Candelaria hospital is said to be carrying out detailed analytical tests which will be sent to the Instituto de Salud Carlos III in Madrid, with results expected in around 24 hours. Sanidad says that health professionals are prepared for these types of situations, and asked the public to be calm and confident in the authorities. A press conference will be given around 4pm.

Any news following the press conference yet?

Angusjim
17-10-2014, 08:58
Any news following the press conference yet?

16 October 2014
Update 4.30pm: Canarian government health minister Brígida Mendoza and deputy health minister Juana M Reyes have given a press conference in which they said that the protocol was activated in a Sanidad “crisis committee” at 1.30pm to allow the fever to be investigated, not because this is a confirmed case of ebola. Mendoza said that she wanted to send a message of tranquility, and that the government’s priority was the person under investigation (Sanidad does not want to use the word “patient” at this stage) and the health professionals involved in his care.

Reyes said that health service confidentiality meant that they could not release the man’s details without authorization, though Mendoza did confirm that he was feverish with a sore throat: he would be in an incubation period, she said, if the illness were confirmed as ebola. She also said that he had had two direct contacts in his dwelling here who are now themselves under observation. The medical staff who accompanied the man from his home were wearing hazmat garments, and he is now under investigation in a three-room isolation unit in Candelaria hospital designed according to the protocol for the assessment of possible ebola cases.

Reyes said that there have already been phone calls from worried patients asking for appointments at Candelaria hospital to be changed, and Mendoza called on the public to be calm and to have confidence in the health service, and to make responsible use of the health service public number 012 and emergency number 112.

martincrabb99
17-10-2014, 09:09
What will be the procedure now when an open boat loaded with Africans approaches the island?

That expert is either under a delusion, or coercion. The BBC says deaths have already exceeded his figure and the total numbers infected are doubling every 3 weeks.

It certainly will be interesting to see how Countries now deal with migrants travelling from areas which are not Ebola free. I wonder if anyone on the forum has any updated news on this.
I agree with your comments about the expert who like the rest of the world underestimated the rate of infection and the risks caused by travelling. It was interesting to note this morning that if the outbreak had occurred in the USA or Europe then the response would have been more immediate.
My view is that it will be brought under control but we will need strong decision makers to prevent the risk of Ebola spreading. I also think that the reaction by the public to this particular health issue will need monitoring as there is a danger of some people overreacting to the actual risks of infection.

tonythorne
17-10-2014, 09:19
See the following website..!!!

http://www.globalresearch.ca/ebola-can-be-transmitted-via-infectious-aerosol-particles-health-workers-need-respirators-not-masks/5408022

martincrabb99
17-10-2014, 09:27
See the following website..!!!

http://www.globalresearch.ca/ebola-can-be-transmitted-via-infectious-aerosol-particles-health-workers-need-respirators-not-masks/5408022

Yes it does suggest that health workers engaged in the care and treatment of Ebola victims are the most at risk proven by the number of health workers who have become infected and have actually died. I would presume that new methods of treatment will be adopted as the crisis develops.

martincrabb99
17-10-2014, 09:33
There is a comment on the General thread relating to Ebola about the person being treated and it would appear that he or she is a Spanish health worker who was treating Ebola victims.

tonythorne
17-10-2014, 09:47
Apart from my concern about all my friends, and everyone in Tenerife... my wife and I are booked to arrive for the winter next month.

martincrabb99
17-10-2014, 10:07
Looks like that post about the Spanish health worker has disappeared

Pooh
17-10-2014, 10:12
http://www2.rtvc.es/noticias/el-caso-de-tenerife-es-un-sanitario-que-trat%C3%B3-enfermos-de-%C3%A9bola-en-sierra-leona-125425.aspx

martincrabb99
17-10-2014, 10:16
http://www2.rtvc.es/noticias/el-caso-de-tenerife-es-un-sanitario-que-trat%C3%B3-enfermos-de-%C3%A9bola-en-sierra-leona-125425.aspx

Thanks for posting that link, unfortunately it will not open on my iPad for some reason.

martincrabb99
17-10-2014, 10:23

But opened on my iPhone......thank you

LUCKY
17-10-2014, 11:02
The man who has now enabled the prevention protocol in Tenerife is Ebola Red Cross nurse who had returned to Spain a week ago from Sierra Leone, having attended such patients in Kenema has confirmed to Efe a spokesman Red Cross. This person was part of the Spanish Red Cross team that deals with the treatment center of Kenema and Ebola since he arrived, was subject to surveillance protocol followed by all its cooperating returning from areas exposed to TB , said the spokesman for the medical NGO, Juan Jesús Hernández. 's own Ministry of Health, Government of the Canary Islands this afternoon was highlighted that this is a case "high risk" by their nature, but they may not know if truly there is a spread of Ebola until the results of the analysis of samples sent to the Carlos III Institute. spokesman Red Cross stresses that all delegates of the organization in the countries where it is declared Ebola epidemic spend on his return to Spain on track "active surveillance", in coordination with the Ministry of Health. "All perform actively follow during the 21 days that leads the Ministry and to date, all are asymptomatic. So far there had been no impact, "he added. Sanitary admitted to the Hospital de La Candelaria had left Sierra Leone on October 8. On Sunday, he came to Santa Cruz de Tenerife, having flown to Madrid via Brussels.

tonythorne
17-10-2014, 11:22
Are they checking the airport yet for suspect arrivals and that patient's flight companions?.

LUCKY
17-10-2014, 11:26
Are they checking the airport yet for suspect arrivals and that patient's flight companions?.

A Red Cross nurse who has worked as a volunteer in a hospital organization in Sierra Leone is another hospitalized. It has been isolated in the Hospital de La Candelaria in Tenerife, pending the outcome of the analysis. The sample has been sent to the only laboratory that can process this type of testing in Spain, the Institute of Health Carlos III Majadahonda (Madrid).

The nurse worked for 30 days in a Red Cross hospital in Kenema, one of the areas hit by Ebola. He returned to Spain on 9 and 12 arrived in Tenerife, explained El Pais Juan Jesus Hernandez, of Cruz Roja. Hernández has been reported that the center of Kenema has 60 beds, is specific for Ebola and was created to respond to the current outbreak in August. Health care providers involved in shifts of 30 days. Up to 35 delegates Red Cross have worked there before. Four remain in Kenema, nine are in the active surveillance-the provides supervised the Red Cross itself and another dozen have already exceeded the 21-day quarantine. "From the moment we arrived, the nurse has been guarded and until this morning had been asymptomatic," Hernandez stated. In a call control said yesterday he had a fever.

Health authorities have also decided Canary isolate two family residing with him, reports Txema Santana. No symptoms of the disease. Has the patient himself who has contacted the center to tell their origin and had fever.

Tshirt
17-10-2014, 12:14
I believe the "patient" in Tenerife has been tested NEGATIVE

http://elpais.com/elpais/2014/10/17/inenglish/1413534245_800453.html

tonythorne
17-10-2014, 13:31
Here's a translation of the El Pais announcement... not in the clear yet!

The four people admitted Thursday in Madrid and Tenerife suspected of having Ebola have been negative in the first results achieved for the virus.

Both Fuenlabrada neighbor who traveled in the same ambulance Teresa Romero-for now the only contagiada-; passengers flying Air France coming from Paris although originating from Nigeria, who suffers malaria; and health Red Cross who traveled from Sierra Leone and, like the passenger plane suffers malaria; and missionary who came from Liberia, must wait for the second analysis, which will have to wait a period of 72 hours.

martincrabb99
17-10-2014, 13:32
I believe the "patient" in Tenerife has been tested NEGATIVE

http://elpais.com/elpais/2014/10/17/inenglish/1413534245_800453.html

Thanks Tshirt looks like the tests have identified Malaria as the cause of the fever.

martincrabb99
17-10-2014, 13:35
Looks like myself and tonythorne posted at the same time so now it seems we have to wait another 72 hrs for final analysis of a second test

golf birdie
17-10-2014, 13:36
Thanks Tshirt looks like the tests have identified Malaria as the cause of the fever.

which kills far more people every day than ebloa.

Ecky Thump
17-10-2014, 14:08
which kills far more people every day than ebloa.

I said the same thing about influenza and people dying from its effects.

I think we all recognise that the Ebola virus is very serious, but it's been known about for quite a few years with previous outbreaks in various parts of Africa, although not as serious as this one.
At this stage, it won't affect my travel plans.

Tshirt
17-10-2014, 14:12
I said the same thing about influenza and people dying from its effects.

I think we all recognise that the Ebola virus is very serious, but it's been known about for quite a few years with previous outbreaks in various parts of Africa, although not as serious as this one.
At this stage, it won't affect my travel plans.

Me neither, I think you're more likely to get knocked down by a bus.

LUCKY
17-10-2014, 18:21
And to take your mind off the topic for a short while a quiz :flatcap:

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs310/en/index2.html

martincrabb99
17-10-2014, 18:46

Really interesting. Thanks Lucky I think I will play a Leonard Cohen song now to keep me in the mood[emoji6]

Ecky Thump
17-10-2014, 19:29

That link should come with a rusty razor blade to cut our wrists with, if the blood loss doesn't see us off, then the blood poisoning will! :-(

Tshirt
17-10-2014, 21:49
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/10/18/epapadav.jpg

Ecky Thump
18-10-2014, 10:30
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/10/18/epapadav.jpg

The big difference is, I wouldn't mind sitting on a plane next to some Fat Yank scoffing his burger and guzzling down coke, but one with Ebola!!!

golf birdie
18-10-2014, 10:41
The big difference is, I wouldn't mind sitting on a plane next to some Fat Yank scoffing his burger and guzzling down coke, but one with Ebola!!!

why do some worry just about planes? Why not stop traveling by bus, taxi, train. Better to stop drinking in pubs and eating out as well as avoiding banks and supermarkets. As a matter of fact you may as well lock your doors and stay inside with a room full of supplies until the all clear is given. Funny how no one seemed too concerned when it was only in a couple of far off countries.

Ecky Thump
18-10-2014, 10:50
why do some worry just about planes? Why not stop traveling by bus, taxi, train. Better to stop drinking in pubs and eating out as well as avoiding banks and supermarkets. As a matter of fact you may as well lock your doors and stay inside with a room full of supplies until the all clear is given. Funny how no one seemed too concerned when it was only in a couple of far off countries.

I would think like me that most of us on this forum have been concerned about the world threat of the Ebola virus spread idling and indeed other viruses, but the reason we mention planes is that we are in very close proximity to each other and unlike most other forms of transport, air travel relies on recirculated air and that's our mode of transport to Tenerife.

golf birdie
18-10-2014, 10:58
I would think like me that most of us on this forum have been concerned about the world threat of the Ebola virus spread idling and indeed other viruses, but the reason we mention planes is that we are in very close proximity to each other and unlike most other forms of transport, air travel relies on recirculated air and that's our mode of transport to Tenerife.

as ebola is not a air borne infection why would recirculated air worry people? Its like saying you might catch Aids on a plane which without contact with blood or semen is impossible. Did you spend the past 30 years worring about catching Aids on a plane?

martincrabb99
18-10-2014, 10:59
I personally feel that there is a lot of mass hysteria being generated online and I even saw one comment on the internet similar to what golf birdie has expressed, this comment indicated that they were considering bunkering down with supplies of water and food.
I really admire the health workers and other aid workers involved in the treatment of the unfortunate people who have been infected. I do not really have a lot of time for Internet scaremongering.

Ecky Thump
18-10-2014, 11:03
as ebola is not a air borne infection why would recirculated air worry people? Its like saying you might catch Aids on a plane which without contact with blood or semen is impossible. Did you spend the past 30 years worring about catching Aids on a plane?

You should maybe reread my post, where it says "other viruses"! Also on other threads I have said that I view influenza as a bigger threat than Ebola.

I was also under the impression that the Ebola virus could be passed on by mucus ie someone in close proximity sneezing.???

golf birdie
18-10-2014, 11:13
You should maybe reread my post, where it says "other viruses"! Also on other threads I have said that I view influenza as a bigger threat than Ebola.

influenza is a far bigger threat and has been for years. In fact you have far more chance of the plane chrashing than contacting ebloa on it. As a previous post said, there is far too much scare mongering going on which will result in people doing stupid things like turning up at the airport in full protective gearrolleyes2: http://www.bellanaija.com/2014/10/16/female-us-passenger-wears-ebola-protective-gear-to-airport-photo/

martincrabb99
18-10-2014, 11:16

I was also under the impression that the Ebola virus could be passed on by mucus ie someone in close proximity sneezing.???

The aerosol spray generated by sneezing is infectious as with a lot of other illnesses such as flu and the common cold.

Angusjim
18-10-2014, 11:21

Maybe you should leave Carol at home for her safety you being a caring husband:laugh:

martincrabb99
18-10-2014, 11:24
influenza is a far bigger threat and has been for years. In fact you have far more chance of the plane chrashing than contacting ebloa on it. As a previous post said, there is far too much scare mongering going on which will result in people doing stupid things like turning up at the airport in full protective gearrolleyes2: http://www.bellanaija.com/2014/10/16/female-us-passenger-wears-ebola-protective-gear-to-airport-photo/

I saw them in Marks and Spencer but they didn't have a 31 inch inside leg!

golf birdie
18-10-2014, 11:27

which would be direct contact as it must go in your eyes, mouth or open cut, which could happen at 1000's of places from walking along the street to a football match. It is not air bourne.

Ecky Thump
18-10-2014, 11:36
Maybe you should leave Carol at home for her safety you being a caring husband:laugh:

No there's food for thought...maybe even get "Maid Service" and even a "tea making machine" (I forget the name of the manufacturer:devil2: ) for the time that I'm at the apartment. It would certainly be cost effective, but at my age would it be good for my health!??;)

melm
18-10-2014, 11:37
No there's food for thought...maybe even get "Maid Service" and even a "tea making machine" (I forget the name of the manufacturer:devil2: ) for the time that I'm at the apartment. It would certainly be cost effective, but at my age would it be good for my health!??;)

Goblin:).................................

Ecky Thump
18-10-2014, 11:38
which would be direct contact as it must go in your eyes, mouth or open cut, which could happen at 1000's of places from walking along the street to a football match. It is not air bourne.

Talk about nit picking!!???

I thought we were having a discussion, not a point scoring debate.

My last reply to you on this subject. :-(

PS. And people wonder why so many members stop posting when we see the ....I'm right and your wrong sort of posts!!!

Angusjim
18-10-2014, 11:43

Easy melm that enough:wink2:

Update 11.30am: There is some controversy over the identification in some press (e.g. El Día, La Opinion) of the man who has now tested negative for ebola. Only yesterday Sanidad refused to give his details because he had not authorised publicity, but today, he has been named, and a photo published. I personally think it is enough to say that he is a nurse from Tenerife who has worked in Sierra Leone, and who has tested positive for malaria. The second test for ebola, which is expected to confirm the first negative analysis, should come within the next 72 hours.

Update 17 October: The first of two analyses for the suspected case of ebola in Tenerife have returned negative results. Hospital sources say that the patient remains in isolation, as do his two contacts, but that his fever had already started to reduce yesterday.

Ecky Thump
18-10-2014, 11:55

Ah, I knew it had something to do with Fairies or similar,:thanx:

tonythorne
18-10-2014, 15:47

Sneezes are airborn...!

Sneeze droplets are airborn... and they travel away until their water contents evaporates...leaving what's left to alight anywhere..! Think about the vapour from diarrhea too! Viruses are not alive, and they replicate whenever they encounter the right environment. They also are minute enough to pass through a gas mask filter. The average virus is about one one-hundredth the size of the average bacterium. That could explain what happened to some of the health workers.

martincrabb99
18-10-2014, 16:37
Sneezes are airborn...!

Sneeze droplets are airborn... and they travel away until their water contents evaporates...leaving what's left to alight anywhere..! Think about the vapour from diarrhea too! Viruses are not alive, and they replicate whenever they encounter the right environment. They also are minute enough to pass through a gas mask filter. The average virus is about one one-hundredth the size of the average bacterium. That could explain what happened to some of the health workers.

Which would mean that a respirator would be the most effective head gear for a Heath worker treating patients with an infectious disease.

martincrabb99
18-10-2014, 18:21
I have checked, the virus is not airborne but of course the air spray from a sneeze would be infectious in close proximity. I suppose we all have different interpretations of what airborne actually means but in the truest sense it is not ( according to medical experts on the subject )

Ecky Thump
18-10-2014, 18:48
I have checked, the virus is not airborne but of course the air spray from a sneeze would be infectious in close proximity. I suppose we all have different interpretations of what airborne actually means but in the truest sense it is not ( according to medical experts on the subject )

If mucus from someone who sneezes hits me in the face, then I would certainly class it as having been airborne...it certainly didn't catch a bus or walk over to me.:devil2::crylaughing:

Medical Experts Phhhhh!:D

tonythorne
19-10-2014, 06:45
To quote a certain celebrated lady,,,"They would say that wouldn't they!" ... panic prevention is a powerful government function.

Right now I'm listening to BBC world radio; coincidentally another 'expert' just stated that it can be airborne. Sorry about my typo spelling previously.

Angusjim
19-10-2014, 07:27
Update 19 November: Over the last few days, there has been something approaching hysteria here at times. We are still awaiting final confirmation that the “Tenerife ebola case” is not ebola at all, but the initial test has come back negative, and in fact the nurse who is ill has tested positive anyway for malaria. It is almost certain, to be confirmed over the next 48 hours or so, that we do not have a single case of ebola in the Canaries, let alone Tenerife.

And yet last evening I heard of several instances where people were cancelling flights or holidays to Tenerife, where people thought Tenerife was “dangerous”, where they thought they could catch ebola because we were close to Africa … and after deciding to post on the subject, find as I’m about to do so that a post has even been made in the meantime on this website by someone who is cancelling a holiday here for the same fears.

Let us be clear. Ebola is not airborne. It cannot waft over from Africa. There are no direct flights with affected countries, and in fact, in the last 24 hours Senegal itself has been declared ebola-free by the World Health Organization since there have been no new cases there for the last 42 days, which is twice the maximum incubation period for ebola. Moreover, as a result of coordination and cooperation between west African countries, Spain and the EU, there are significantly successful patrols for immigrant boats and the journey on cayuco or patera is in any case longer than the incubation period so there are not hordes of illegals wandering round infecting everyone while appearing healthy.

Assuming, with perfectly justifiable confidence, that the second test on the malaria patient who has already tested negative for ebola confirms that result, there has not been one single confirmed case in the islands as a whole, let alone Tenerife specifically. This is not a disease to be taken lightly, but I personally would consider myself safer here than in international transport hubs like mainland Europe, the UK, or the USA. There is absolutely no travel alert or warning or concern about Tenerife or the Canaries issued by any one of the many international health organizations who might be considered to know exactly the extent and nature of this ebola outbreak, and so absolutely no reason to avoid travel to these islands

martincrabb99
19-10-2014, 09:11
Update 19 November: Over the last few days, there has been something approaching hysteria here at times. We are still awaiting final confirmation that the “Tenerife ebola case” is not ebola at all, but the initial test has come back negative, and in fact the nurse who is ill has tested positive anyway for malaria. It is almost certain, to be confirmed over the next 48 hours or so, that we do not have a single case of ebola in the Canaries, let alone Tenerife.

And yet last evening I heard of several instances where people were cancelling flights or holidays to Tenerife, where people thought Tenerife was “dangerous”, where they thought they could catch ebola because we were close to Africa … and after deciding to post on the subject, find as I’m about to do so that a post has even been made in the meantime on this website by someone who is cancelling a holiday here for the same fears.

Let us be clear. Ebola is not airborne. It cannot waft over from Africa. There are no direct flights with affected countries, and in fact, in the last 24 hours Senegal itself has been declared ebola-free by the World Health Organization since there have been no new cases there for the last 42 days, which is twice the maximum incubation period for ebola. Moreover, as a result of coordination and cooperation between west African countries, Spain and the EU, there are significantly successful patrols for immigrant boats and the journey on cayuco or patera is in any case longer than the incubation period so there are not hordes of illegals wandering round infecting everyone while appearing healthy.

Assuming, with perfectly justifiable confidence, that the second test on the malaria patient who has already tested negative for ebola confirms that result, there has not been one single confirmed case in the islands as a whole, let alone Tenerife specifically. This is not a disease to be taken lightly, but I personally would consider myself safer here than in international transport hubs like mainland Europe, the UK, or the USA. There is absolutely no travel alert or warning or concern about Tenerife or the Canaries issued by any one of the many international health organizations who might be considered to know exactly the extent and nature of this ebola outbreak, and so absolutely no reason to avoid travel to these islands

What an excellent post there is no need for me to add anything.

Angusjim
19-10-2014, 09:38
What an excellent post there is no need for me to add anything.

Yes quite proud of my googling skills well if its good enough for Ecky its good enough for me:whistle:

martincrabb99
19-10-2014, 11:19
Yes Ecky will be ' airborne ' soon[emoji3][emoji6]

Ecky Thump
19-10-2014, 11:29
Yes Ecky will be ' airborne ' soon[emoji3][emoji6]

I'm was going to mention that I have only 4 Days-19 Hours to go before my departure to Tenerife, or AngusJim will pass a comment, so I won't announce it today!;)

Yes quite proud of my googling skills well if its good enough for Ecky its good enough for me:whistle:

Much more up-to date now,....I use Safari.:fpull:

tonythorne
19-10-2014, 13:34
[QUOTE=Ecky Thump;406880]I'm was going to mention that I have only 4 Days-19 Hours to go before my departure to Tenerife, or AngusJim will pass a comment, so I won't announce it today!;)

I arrive on November 16 for the winter and I can't wait to be there.

Naturally I agree with Martin that the Ebola virus cannot waft over from Africa. It can only be a risk if someone who has it arrives here and is too scared to go for treatment.

I didn't really want to know this...

Dr Lisa Brosseau and Dr Rachael Jones, i

n a research article published by CIDRAP, the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy, clearly state that Ebola currently has “unclear modes of transmission…We believe there is scientific and
epidemiologic evidence that Ebola virus has the potential to be transmitted via infectious aerosol particles both near and at a distance from infected patients, which means that healthcare workers should be wearing respirators, not facemasks…and the CDC’s contention that Ebola is only communicable via direct contact is inaccurate.”

...no comment!

I didn't really want to know this...

Dr Lisa Brosseau and Dr Rachael Jones, i

n a research article published by CIDRAP, the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy, clearly state that Ebola currently has “unclear modes of transmission…We believe there is scientific and
epidemiologic evidence that Ebola virus has the potential to be transmitted via infectious aerosol particles both near and at a distance from infected patients, which means that healthcare workers should be wearing respirators, not facemasks…and the CDC’s contention that Ebola is only communicable via direct contact is inaccurate.”

...no comment!

I didn't really want to read this...

Dr Lisa Brosseau and Dr Rachael Jones, in a research article published by CIDRAP, the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy, clearly state that Ebola currently has “unclear modes of transmission…We believe there is scientific and epidemiologic evidence that Ebola virus has the potential to be transmitted via infectious aerosol particles both near and at a distance from infected patients, which means that healthcare workers should be wearing respirators, not facemasks…and the CDC’s contention that Ebola is only communicable via direct contact is inaccurate.”[/I][/I]

The Communicable Disease Centre is the American authority... I've been there!

Dr Lisa Brosseau and Dr Rachael Jones, in a research article published by CIDRAP, the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy, clearly state that Ebola currently has “unclear modes of transmission…We believe there is scientific and epidemiologic evidence that Ebola virus has the potential to be transmitted via infectious aerosol particles both near and at a distance from infected patients, which means that healthcare workers should be wearing respirators, not facemasks…and the CDC’s contention that Ebola is only communicable via direct contact is inaccurate.”[/I][/I]

The top American Authority is The Communicable Disease Centre ... I've been there

How the hell did that happen...? I have to apologise.

How the hell did that happen... I can only apologise.. I thought I'd only been editing that last paragraph...!

It's happened again...it's either my computer or the forum software needs looking at.

Here's a clue MY FIRST POST WAS LONGER THAN THE 1000 CHARACTERS ALLOWED SO I HAD TO EDIT IT DOWN THREE TIMES.

essexeddie
19-10-2014, 16:49
My original post was just to make people aware of the subject. My main concern was the lookie lookie men who are backwards and forwards from that area which are notoriously bad as regards hygiene. We will be using hand gels when the need arises, as to be on the safe side. Better than nothing.
Other than that nothing has changed for us.................at the moment.

Ecky Thump
19-10-2014, 18:14
My original post was just to make people aware of the subject. My main concern was the lookie lookie men who are backwards and forwards from that area which are notoriously bad as regards hygiene. We will be using hand gels when the need arises, as to be on the safe side. Better than nothing.
Other than that nothing has changed for us.................at the moment.

Eddie, it's a excellent thread and makes us all aware of the dangers that lurk and I take your concerns about the Lookie Lookie men, thankfully there has only been one confirmed case in Senegal, which is where they are from and he came from Guinea into Senegal.

chifleta
19-10-2014, 18:58
I'm more at risk from my African neighbours burning the whole building down, him and his family went out yesterday afternoon and we reckon they've left the oven on with possibly fish cooking and OMG the whole building stunk to high heaven of burnt fishy offerings .... now, one day later, it just smells slightly of cinders LOL .... they're going to have a warm apartment and a very high electric bill at this rate ....

Anyone remember the same paranoia and panic with bird flu? just saying ;)

Esskay
19-10-2014, 19:13
I must admit, I was wondering about our holiday next August, and how the whole Ebola thing will have changed by then.

I think rather than pay the holiday off in dribs and drabs direct to Jet2 between now and June, I'll play it safe and stick the money in a savings account so that if the stuff hits the fan next year I'll only lose the deposit.

Ecky Thump
19-10-2014, 19:25
I must admit, I was wondering about our holiday next August, and how the whole Ebola thing will have changed by then.

I think rather than pay the holiday off in dribs and drabs direct to Jet2 between now and June, I'll play it safe and stick the money in a savings account so that if the stuff hits the fan next year I'll only lose the deposit.

I'm sure if the Ebola virus were to have spread by any significant amount by June 2015, then given the amount of people traveling from infected parts of the world, then the UK would be far more at risk than Tenerife, plus we have thousands of unknown illegal immigrants entering the UK, so with that scenario you might be a lot safer to buy your tickets to Tenerife than stay at home in the UK.

Tshirt
19-10-2014, 19:33
I've booked, and paid, for my next two holidays in Tenerife and I have no concerns at all about going. Then I am over 70 so I could die before then. I shall also be looking for a new watch off of my favourite lookie lookie man. :tiphat:

Ecky Thump
19-10-2014, 19:38
I've booked, and paid, for my next two holidays in Tenerife and I have no concerns at all about going. Then I am over 70 so I could die before then. I shall also be looking for a new watch off of my favourite lookie lookie man. :tiphat:

It brings a whole new meaning to when the Lookie Lookie men offer a "Lifetime Guarantee " with every watch they sell us.:devil2:

Tshirt
19-10-2014, 19:51
It brings a whole new meaning to when the Lookie Lookie men offer a "Lifetime Guarantee " with every watch they sell us.:devil2:

It normally lasts 'til the plane takes off, which ever is the shorter. :o

tonythorne
20-10-2014, 09:48
I've booked, and paid, for my next two holidays in Tenerife and I have no concerns at all about going. Then I am over 70 so I could die before then:tiphat:

Same with me, I was 88 last August...my doctor told me I have a young mind in an old body...!

martincrabb99
20-10-2014, 09:53
Same with me, I was 88 last August...my doctor told me I have a young mind in an old body...!

And good for you, I admire people who live a full life[emoji6][emoji2]

melm
20-10-2014, 11:45

well done:tiphat:

essexeddie
20-10-2014, 15:53

Nice one he he he

tonythorne
21-10-2014, 17:14
Well, they finally got the message..! How about here, ready for next time?

EBOLA CAN BE TRANSMITTED VIA INFECTIOUS AEROSOL
PARTICLES: HEALTH WORKERS NEED RESPIRATORS NOT
MASKS. By Lisa M.Brosseau and Rachel Jones PhD.

Centre for Infectious Disease Research and Policy 17 September2014

ATLANTA (AP) - Federal health officials on Monday issued new guidelines to promote head-to-toe protection for health workers treating Ebola patients.
Officials have been scrambling to come up with new advice for protective gear since two Dallas nurses became infected while caring for the first person diagnosed with the virus in the United States.
The new guidelines set a firmer standard, calling for full-body garb and hoods that protect worker's necks; setting rigorous rules for removal of equipment and disinfection of gloved hands; and calling for a "site manager" to supervise the putting on and taking off of equipment.

Kindly ignore the attachment on that last post.. Damned if I could delete it..!!!!

Lissalyon
28-10-2014, 09:40
Oh I'm really scared......NOT!

If you live in fear you lower your vibrational rate and make yourself more susceptible to any disease.

A good, nutritious diet, plenty of rest,moderate exercise and low stress , keep your immune system up take as few as possible big pharma meds

Plenty of sunshine and vitamin d3

We will be fine.

marbro8
07-11-2014, 18:59
just been reading in the newspaper today,migrants caused panic on a nude beach in the canary islands when they arrived on a boat from sierra leone with ebola like symptoms,there were 19 in total and were cordoned off by masked red cross staff,no one was diagnosed with the virus but i think i would have gotten on the next plane home if i had been on that beach:wow:

Tshirt
07-11-2014, 19:58
just been reading in the newspaper today,migrants caused panic on a nude beach in the canary islands when they arrived on a boat from sierra leone with ebola like symptoms,there were 19 in total and were cordoned off by masked red cross staff,no one was diagnosed with the virus but i think i would have gotten on the next plane home if i had been on that beach:wow:

It was Gran Canaria Marbs, not Tenerife. Who was more shocked, the migrants or the nudists.

chifleta
07-11-2014, 21:45

The news report was just bl**dy hilarious, i'm sorry, but WHO writes these reports? .... and whoever put "the nudists (centre picture)" when it was blatantly obvious who the nudists were (two old pervy looking men, obviously) just made me and hubby crack up laughing.

I feel all of the following when I read these reports and then the ensuing variety of comments:
:wow::twak::fpull::bootyshake::raspberry2::dontkno w::jumping::crying2::nono::crazy:

kingbaker
07-11-2014, 22:07
So wott do you and Mr Chifleta look like in the noooody?

Any pickies...I wont show anyone else? Promise. :p:p:p

chifleta
07-11-2014, 22:31
So wott do you and Mr Chifleta look like in the noooody?

Any pickies...I wont show anyone else? Promise. :p:p:p

Well. you know the blokes in the Daily Mail? .... we don't look like that :scared: