PDA

View Full Version : Internet Has anyone any experience of airfibre?

iceclimber
21-10-2014, 19:00
Saw an advert for airfibre, but not ever heard of them, but the package they are offering seems too good to be true, for 30 euros you get up to 10 megs download and 3 megs upload, and also 300 minutes of European calls. For 49 euros they offer up to 30 megs download, 3megs upload and 1000 minutes of calls. This is done via a wifi connection, so no land line required. Any info very welcome, thank you.

KirstyJay
25-10-2014, 16:50
have you got a link to their website? I'd be interested in taking a look.

LUCKY
25-10-2014, 16:55
:flatcap:

http://www.airfibre.ie/

iceclimber
25-10-2014, 17:05
www.airfibre.es i was not sure if it was allowed to post a link.

Jabba43
25-10-2014, 21:32
http://www.teneriffaforum.de/showthread.php?3042-Erfahrungen-mit-AirFibre-Teneriffa found this but you need to put through translate

seems like a good offer, no install fee and 50% of the cost of wificanarias

KirstyJay
26-10-2014, 09:26
www.airfibre.es i was not sure if it was allowed to post a link.

As long as it's asking about someone else's service and not self promotion you can.

I found this one http://www.airfibre.es/index.php/en/

It looks interesting, but it's a pity the website has so many spelling/grammar mistakes though. That sort of thing really puts me off, as it doesn't fill me full of hope for their professionalism if they can't even get a native speaker to proof read it before making the site live. It's not difficult to find one in Tenerife... "Faster THEN the wind..." Oh dear.

I also can't find any mention of coberatura (reach). Living where I do, this would be interesting but the website seems to have loads of words on it, but doesn't really give any useful information.

Why should I opt for airFibre?

Because we are a company that is on the cutting edge and we innovative technology , we use it to provide you with Internet and telephony to fill you with joy and fun. Without surprises , simply transparent.

In airFibre within one click everything is at sight. The world of technology and international web is our home. Thanks to our stores and employees, we are always there for you.

Besides having really bad grammar, what does this actually tell me?

From the website alone, I wouldn't be convinced to sign up to a year's contract with this company. There have been too many companies that offer great internet solutions that have disappeared over the years. At least Movistar is established. If they sorted out their website and put real information on it, they might get more business... however for me, first impressions are everything and that was not a good one. Maybe I'll read the Spanish version and see if it's any better...!

iceclimber
26-10-2014, 11:01
Thanks KirstyJay for a very informative reply, lots to think of when you put things in perspective. I think on balance, the adage "if it sounds to good to be true, then it probably is"would be a good way of looking at this company. I was hoping that someone on the forum may have had some experience with them, and would be able to enlighten me and others on here, who like me, are suffering appalling internet speeds, if it was a good and reliable service.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Thanks Jabba, looking at the responses in that link, I think I will give them a wide berth!! a shame really as it sounds a really good deal, however I will keep an eye on them, as things may improve.

KirstyJay
26-10-2014, 12:06
Thanks KirstyJay for a very informative reply, lots to think of when you put things in perspective. I think on balance, the adage "if it sounds to good to be true, then it probably is"would be a good way of looking at this company. I was hoping that someone on the forum may have had some experience with them, and would be able to enlighten me and others on here, who like me, are suffering appalling internet speeds, if it was a good and reliable service.

Thanks Jabba, looking at the responses in that link, I think I will give them a wide berth!! a shame really as it sounds a really good deal, however I will keep an eye on them, as things may improve.

I too suffer from appalling speeds. If a decent company came along and really got their act together they'd corner the market! The fastest I get is about 2 meg now on a good day. That only changed recently though. We were on 1 meg and under for about 10+ years.

bulldog
26-10-2014, 12:28
lets see if anyone posts who has it and recommends its, I,ve asked around no ones seems to have heard of them I too suffer from under 1 meg. I,ve asked a couple
of my Spanish neighbours they just shook there heads.

Jabba43
26-10-2014, 20:08
There is no install and no contract obligation for the second tariff, you get a your 65 euros back if not happy that is deposited on the router. I am not on the Island now but for the sake of 30 euros got to be worth a try for one month someone!

lets see if anyone posts who has it and recommends its, I,ve asked around no ones seems to have heard of them I too suffer from under 1 meg. I,ve asked a couple
of my Spanish neighbours they just shook there heads.

Bulldog, our other neighbours have wifi canarias 10mb but for 60 odd euro which IMO is a bit too much, so it is possible

I too suffer from appalling speeds. If a decent company came along and really got their act together they'd corner the market! The fastest I get is about 2 meg now on a good day. That only changed recently though. We were on 1 meg and under for about 10+ years.

If you live in the south and have line of sight to Guaza moutain you can get 10mb with wifi canarias.

KirstyJay
26-10-2014, 20:21
If you live in the south and have line of sight to Guaza moutain you can get 10mb with wifi canarias.
I live on the west coast with no sight of guaza mountain. Unfortunately there's not a company that thinks outside los cris or las Americas as far as I know yet....

Jabba43
26-10-2014, 21:33
So far so good, even replied on a Sunday!

thank you for your Email.
We have coverage on 95% on the island.
If you are on side of Guaza Mountain the chance is very big to give you a line.

For an appointment we just need your order trough our website www.airfibre.es
You can find under every package a info button, if you click there you can fill in the order and after we get the order we will contact you for an appointment as soon as possible.

Please let me know, if you have more questions.
Kind Regards,
Pari

KirstyJay
26-10-2014, 22:12
Why do you have to make an order to test coverage though? 95% isn't 100%, so coverage isn't guaranteed. It'd be good if a representative for the company could come on and clarity questions on this thread.

Jabba43
26-10-2014, 23:14
If you are stuck with a crappy connection, what do you have to lose, just choose the no obligation package.

KirstyJay
27-10-2014, 00:30
If you are stuck with a crappy connection, what do you have to lose, just choose the no obligation package.Yes, I understand your point... I just wish that businesses here in Tenerife would think about their customers and provide clear information. :)

Jabba43
27-10-2014, 06:49
because it is a wifi connection they need to look at some tower or something. 95% coverage is coverage, if you have no vantage point to mount the antenna then there is still coverage but due to the geography of your property maybe it is not possible.

bulldog
27-10-2014, 09:55
I think canarias wifi said they hit off a tower up the hill on the Guia de Isdora road which must be linked to Guaza so a direct view from Callao might not be
necessary

iceclimber
27-10-2014, 13:51
Well, I certainly started a good debate here. Now for a little further info, I currently have WiFi canarias supplying me with 3megs for 43.50€, from Guaza mountain,however just recently their service has become very unstable and at times non existent, on complaining they have acknowledged that they do have a problem which they aim to fix by mid December. Now here comes the reason, they say that their wavelengths are being interfered with by what they term to be "pirates" who are putting up equipment close to theirs on the same masts and running on the same frequency, hence the line interference. WiFi Canarias are, according to them going to considerable expense and going to replace a lot of equipment by December to overcome this, and we here in the South will get a stable line again. I think I may stick with WiFi Canarias for now, and give them the chance to put things right, as I believe they are a well respected and established business here on Tenerife I thank every one for the great responses and I am sorry if I rambled on a bit!!

LUCKY
27-10-2014, 16:57
Well, I certainly started a good debate here. Now for a little further info, I currently have WiFi canarias supplying me with 3megs for 43.50€, from Guaza mountain,however just recently their service has become very unstable and at times non existent, on complaining they have acknowledged that they do have a problem which they aim to fix by mid December. Now here comes the reason, they say that their wavelengths are being interfered with by what they term to be "pirates" who are putting up equipment close to theirs on the same masts and running on the same frequency, hence the line interference. WiFi Canarias are, according to them going to considerable expense and going to replace a lot of equipment by December to overcome this, and we here in the South will get a stable line again. I think I may stick with WiFi Canarias for now, and give them the chance to put things right, as I believe they are a well respected and established business here on Tenerife I thank every one for the great responses and I am sorry if I rambled on a bit!!

Here is an old thread :flatcap:

http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?559-I-need-some-advice-about-Canaries-Wireless-internet-provider-in-Tenerife&highlight=canaries+

Jabba43
27-10-2014, 17:03
I think they all use wimax- see the paste from wikipedia below. IMO iceclimber WIFICanrias have oversubscribed their user base and are trying to get away with paying for the same bandwidth with lots more people. I can imagine evening time the worst when everyone is watching IP TV. Another answer is these "pirates" are probably on the same feed and the master connection cannot cope and they are upgrading it in December.

Inherent limitations[edit]
WiMAX cannot deliver 70 Mbit/s over 50 km (31 mi). Like all wireless technologies, WiMAX can operate at higher bitrates or over longer distances but not both. Operating at the maximum range of 50 km (31 mi) increases bit error rate and thus results in a much lower bitrate. Conversely, reducing the range (to under 1 km) allows a device to operate at higher bitrates.

A city-wide deployment of WiMAX in Perth, Australia demonstrated that customers at the cell-edge with an indoor Customer-premises equipment (CPE) typically obtain speeds of around 1–4 Mbit/s, with users closer to the cell site obtaining speeds of up to 30 Mbit/s.[citation needed]

Like all wireless systems, available bandwidth is shared between users in a given radio sector, so performance could deteriorate in the case of many active users in a single sector. However, with adequate capacity planning and the use of WiMAX's Quality of Service, a minimum guaranteed throughput for each subscriber can be put in place. In practice, most users will have a range of 4-8 Mbit/s services and additional radio cards will be added to the base station to increase the number of users that may be served as required.

UKj
27-10-2014, 19:27
I emailed these guys and got no response which is not a good start. If anyone decided to sign up with them it would be great to get some feedback on the speeds and latency.

iceclimber
28-10-2014, 20:15
UKj, still not had a reply? I find it strange that after a week of my original post no one seems to have tried them, neither does anyone know of anyone who has used them, can't really be a good sign can it?

Jabba43
28-10-2014, 23:05
I got a response in 12 hours n a Sunday and pasted it here, as far as I am concerned that is pretty good. I pasted a link to a German forum with people had used them.

Really someone just try them for the sake of 30 euros and a months trial! I am back in January but if I was at the house now they would have already been for a visit.

kenny1310
31-10-2014, 03:37
test. sorry but tried before to answer here but the board did not let me.
Seems like it is working now.
Just wanted to say that i ordered the 30 mb internet package from airfibre a couple of days ago and did not expect it to work here where i live.
But it worked and now i have it. Yesterday a technican came to test the coverage, said it will work and installed the antenna and router. Took him about 30 minutes. Internet was there in an instant and i tried the speedtest from Ookla. Now i have around 23 mb download and 1.5 mb upload. All for 34,90€ a month with 12 month contract. No activation fee and nada. Before i had 1 mb with vodafone adsl.
I live in Callao Salvaje and you have to have a free view to Guaza Mountain so the signal can reach your antenna. I am lucky to have this and the technican for himself was surprised that the signal was that strong over the given distance.
By the way, if you order and do not get a signal you do not have to pay for anything.

Sorry for grammar and misspelling, my native tongue is german and i am writing on a spanish keyboard :cheeky:

iceclimber
31-10-2014, 10:33
Thanks for the information Kenny, very pleased that you are getting such good speeds. If possible, could you please post here again in a few days to keep us updated with how things are, for example are you still getting your initial speeds? or anything else that may be useful. Thanks.

Jabba43
31-10-2014, 12:13
Excellent, my neighbour informed me another one of our neighbour had airfibre installed yesterday, will update when we know something but as I had 0.4 mb with the shysters Movistar I will take what I can get, 23 mb is a dream! :) IP TV, kids on ipads, PC, hah cannot wait.

kenny1310
31-10-2014, 13:12
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3873091807.png (http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3873091807)
This was right now. In the night hours it is faster but i am not complaining.

Timdowd
02-11-2014, 11:50
Will be very interested in this... My wifi canarias connection has been bad since I started... I ordered 6mb and I am not getting it regularly and never when I need it...

Jabba43
02-11-2014, 17:59
Will be very interested in this... My wifi canarias connection has been bad since I started... I ordered 6mb and I am not getting it regularly and never when I need it...

these guys half the price too and free install. They might be a victim of their success if too many people sign up and slow it all down.

UKj
02-11-2014, 19:28
UKj, still not had a reply? I find it strange that after a week of my original post no one seems to have tried them, neither does anyone know of anyone who has used them, can't really be a good sign can it?

Still nothing. I emailed them again today for more info. Will try them for a month if they reply and see how they compare to my 2 x Movistar ADSL lines.

gsc
05-11-2014, 17:52
I too have had no answer from them despite 3 emails. Others reporting the same yet those that sign up and pay up seem ok. I heard some rumours today that they won't be around long. I won't repeat them until I know they are fact but I for one won't be using them until I know they are here to stay.

Have just heard they don't have a license for broadcasting - can that be true?

iceclimber
05-11-2014, 18:34
Heard something along the same lines, hence my holding back a while to see how things pan out.

Jabba43
05-11-2014, 20:08
What is the source of these rumors if you do not mind me asking? Was it the competition?

I cannot imagine them buying several wimax base stations to cover 95% of the Island at a huge cost, the routers, the billing system, the engineers etc only to be doing it illegally.

They could be using someone else's equipment but in that case they must have permission to do so. So some more info on these rumours would be good to get to the bottom of it.

bulldog
06-11-2014, 13:57
I,d be interested also to know the source of the rumours I have received an e,mail and a telephone call from them met the local rep.in the south have an appointment
next week to see how the antenna ,router etc.workout if I,m happy it,s 22.95 a month 1 year contract no up front money if they go I,ll stop the payments end of.
lets see what happens.

Jabba43
06-11-2014, 20:45
Exactly, if they mess up you stop paying.

UKj
06-11-2014, 22:46
I'd love to give them a go as I currently pay for 2 x Movistar lines and only get around 5 Mbps. I've emailed them twice using the form on their website. I've had an automatic response saying they have my email, almost a week ago but no follow up. It doesn't fill me with confidence. If they can't respond to people wanting to take the service on, what will the support be like?

Jabba43
14-11-2014, 13:51
Any updates on this?

bulldog
14-11-2014, 17:33
Any updates on this?

had installed seems O.K. payed the 22.95 up to 10 mbs showing about 7-8 mbs suits me if you want to watch telly might need the bigger package I,ve heard it
drops at peak time.

Jabba43
14-11-2014, 19:53
Bulldog is this out where we live in the Boonies or elsewhere. You only need 2mb for telly so should be fine.

bulldog
14-11-2014, 21:59
Callao Salvaje ,but the house 2 doors away only gets 0.80mbs on average with another company which is similar to the boonies we don,t want telly we,re
happy with what we,ve got,its a wait and see,I,ve paid nothing yet just signed a contact for a year.I,m waiting for an e.mail from them to give bank details

BoPeep
15-11-2014, 12:49
I get 7mb with Europa in Amarilla Golf but its costing 35 euros a month plus another 14 euros or so for Movistar rental so this system might be worth a try.

I use Europa for TV and internet but I find that even with the 7mb the tv screen picture occasionally breask up and the sound crackles so I wouldnt want to try it with 2 mb! Does anyone know why this is? I rarely have the laptop on with the TV but we do tend to have 2 ipads on the go!

TonyLA2
16-11-2014, 02:59
Some friends of mine on the Golf have it but they only get about 3mbs download so not good. I live on the Golf and have VDSL through Movistar and that gives me 30mbs download and about 3mbs upload.

I get 7mb with Europa in Amarilla Golf but its costing 35 euros a month plus another 14 euros or so for Movistar rental so this system might be worth a try.

I use Europa for TV and internet but I find that even with the 7mb the tv screen picture occasionally breask up and the sound crackles so I wouldnt want to try it with 2 mb! Does anyone know why this is? I rarely have the laptop on with the TV but we do tend to have 2 ipads on the go! I am not far from you on the Amarilla side of the Golf del Sur, I can watch TV and still download films at 2.6mbs with no loss of picture at all. If you want to come and have a look let me know.

pdu83
19-11-2014, 15:25
I spoke to airfibre today, they should be coming to install the 10mbps package for me on Monday evening, I'll give it a test and report back!

iceclimber
24-11-2014, 16:57
I spoke to airfibre today, they should be coming to install the 10mbps package for me on Monday evening, I'll give it a test and report back!

Looking forward to your report, hope everything is as promised as there seems to be a few problems for people who are getting certain services from the mast on Guaza mountain with interference, as far as I know it is only people in the Callao Salvaje region though.

pdu83
25-11-2014, 02:42
Well an early report in case anyone is wondering. The engineer called before arrival as promised and was fast and courteous, also cleaned up after his drilling which was nice. He said my position wasn't ideal but 10mbps would work fine but said they'd have to remote test if I wanted 30. He did also say they were doing a frequency change over night so it'll be better in the morning. I've seen it hit about 5mpbs throughout but it had been a bit unstable with connections dropping and taking 1-2 minutes to come back. Pings have been down to about 40ms which doesn't seem bad considering the technology, but disconnects make it hard to say what the real upper values might be.

Sadly I didn't look after any wimax installs in the UK, only adsl/fibre/cable so I'm not an expert here, but I'll do further testing tomorrow and provide an update.

KirstyJay
25-11-2014, 13:27
Thanks. It's good to have an informed unbiased tester on the forum! :)

iceclimber
25-11-2014, 18:19
Thanks. It's good to have an informed unbiased tester on the forum! :)

I second that!

UKj
25-11-2014, 22:06
Thanks for the info. Shame about the disconnects. Have they said if they can be addressed or will you just have to live with that?

pdu83
26-11-2014, 14:10
It does seem to have improved so I haven't bothered them yet. I've had a peak of 8.5mbps but average is closer to 5, latency averages around 50ms to Google dns, I let it go for about an hour so it should be fine for voip with only the odd drop. Considering my position isn't ideal (no direct line of sight) I'm not unhappy. I was just spoiled in the uk with 80meg I guess!

Jabba43
26-11-2014, 15:07
Compared to my 0.4mb/s this is great news even if it does drop now and again. I have a fantastic line of site to the mountain also, so I think 30 mb could be on the cards. It would take 2 days to download a movie with Movistar. So for sure I will be purchasing.

kurtfive
26-11-2014, 15:43
mine has been down all day , when i phoned them said it was a problem with electric supply and unelco was fixing it . anybody else have no connection today ?

kenny1310
26-11-2014, 21:34
At the moment i have some problems too. Speed is going down and up all the time between 10mb and 2mb. Yesterday everything was okay with stable 22mb. Lets see if it gets better tomorrow. If not, i will call them.

Now it seems to be back to normal. Everything is working fine.

pdu83
27-11-2014, 19:31
Yes I had a dropout last night and called, they said it was a power issue to the station so that adds up, I went down the pub instead. It's been back and seemed alright earlier, but now I'm back to regular speed drops and disconnects. I'm currently fetching some data from my dedicated server and it's only ticking along at 200-300kb/sec between it's 30-45 minute disconnects, the server I'm fetching from has a 1gbps Internet connection in a very well connected data centre, so that end certainly isn't the issue. If I nip downstairs to reception I can pull the same files at 800kb/sec over the shared ADSL. So it's a bit of a mixed bag, I've emailed them and in fairness they have responded in 7 minutes advising that a technician is looking into it, so fingers crossed!

pdu83
28-11-2014, 17:35
Ok well another update, it dropped again last night and hasn't been back since. I've also had no further emails or a call from Airfibre since they replied saying they were looking into it last night. Perhaps those with line of sight will have better luck, but right now I would genuinely take a 0.5mbps reliable connection over this, I've not had this poor an experience since dialup in the 90s, and when I say genuinely, I actually mean it. Such a shame, I'll be moving shortly anyway, so will hunt for another product then, good luck to others though but a shame about the support response.

Jabba43
28-11-2014, 22:24
Maybe teething troubles, give it a few more days and keep us posted.

pdu83
29-11-2014, 15:04
Well I've sent another chase to their tech support as I'm still offline, still no response sadly. Shame they change the password on the wimax modem or I'd login and take a look myself, so I guess no Internet until next week for me.

kenny1310
29-11-2014, 17:14
Yesterday it was gone for me too. No signal at all till 9pm. Then it was back with ridiculous slow speed (around 0,7 mb). Today it is a bit faster (5mb). I think they are working on it. Maybe the signal from the Guaza mountain is affected by the strong wind.
I hope my speed will get back to normal soon.

iceclimber
29-11-2014, 18:39
pdu83, firstly thank you for your regular updates regarding airfibre, I am sorry your experience with them thus far has not been what I and others who are watching this thread had hoped it would be. There are others on a facebook thread who have experienced similar or even worse customer service, a lady posted that they installed her system, the installer couldn't get it to work, asked her to sign the contract, which she refused to do until she saw it up and running, he phoned his boss who told him if she wouldn't sign he was to remove it and this is what he did! and she has heard no more from them, unbelievable service. So on the basis of yours and others experience, I think I will stay put with my current supplier, at least until I see some glowing reports to the contrary.

UKj
02-12-2014, 09:54
Thanks for all the updates guys. I suspected poor customer service when they didn't respond to me on 2 separate occasions. My Movistar connections are only 2.5 Mbps per line but have been rock solid so better the devil you know in this case.

KirstyJay
03-12-2014, 00:42
a lady posted that they installed her system, the installer couldn't get it to work, asked her to sign the contract, which she refused to do until she saw it up and running, he phoned his boss who told him if she wouldn't sign he was to remove it and this is what he did! and she has heard no more from them, unbelievable service.

This is what I was dubious about in my earlier posts. I don't see why you should have to sign a contract for anything before it's installed, so to have to sign up and pay before anyone will even test your coverage put me off straight away. Looks like my instincts were right if that's the case.

Jabba43
03-12-2014, 09:08
We did apparently have 130 km winds when it was down, I was not on the Island so it is just what I read. Keep updating if you can kenny and pdu.

bulldog
03-12-2014, 11:56
This is what I was dubious about in my earlier posts. I don't see why you should have to sign a contract for anything before it's installed, so to have to sign up and pay before anyone will even test your coverage put me off straight away. Looks like my instincts were right if that's the case.

I can only tell you how things went for me ,not hear say,not read on social media,I had the up to 10mbs. installed at a property I don,t live at, the installation was quick
and clean the wifi showed approx.8mbs.I payed no money just signed a basic A4 sheet of paper which just was a basic outline hardly a contract full of t&c,s I was going
away a few days later and have only just informed my bank to set up a standing order its working O.K. it was not working Friday 28th.Nov.for a few hours
but the winds were very high strong enough to bend over an advertising hoarding at the foot of the mountain I,m not for it or against it.its a wait and see thing
if it proves to be unreliable I,ll cancel the standing order end of!! seems to me all the ones slagging it don,t actually have it.

kenny1310
03-12-2014, 14:26
My connection is more or less back to normal. Seems they have worked out the issues on the Guaza mountain. Sunday i had speeds around 6mb, yesterday around 10mb and now its back to 20 to 22mb. Since the mountain is 13km away i think its a good speed.

Jabba43
09-12-2014, 08:48
Hi Guys, all good or has it gone bad again?

Jabba43
17-01-2015, 09:08
Got it installed, very stable and not broken once. Installer took about 2 hours to do it. I asked about stability as there had been some complaints and the guy had to really think hard and said the only thing he could think of was a couple months back someone stole a length of cable to the towers and everything was offline for all communications connected to that site.

As for speed, I got the 30mb but the best I have seen is 22mb/s, that is 44 times faster that Movistar was for the same price, so I am happy. The company has been around for 1.5 years now, they started in the north and moved to the south. The installer said he is meant to do 6 installations per day and they were hassling him from the office to get a move on. So all in all I would say the negative criticism in this thread is unfounded.

UKj
22-01-2015, 16:47
That's really good news Jabba. How did you get in touch with them? I've yet to have any response to the requests for information made on their website.

Jabba43
23-01-2015, 22:21
Via the website, then by email. If you are sure fill out the order form and they should call you. Try again. Still stable, never breaks, if you are with 1 mb or less on movistar move it is a no brainer. Get the 10 mb and save 5 euro a month as i think they struggle to give you 30.

pdu83
05-02-2015, 21:15
Well, thought I'd pop back with more info after using them for a bit longer. Basically, I knew I was going to adjust my expectations for Internet a bit living here, but this is shocking. Sadly it's useless at many points of every day, but 7pm - 8/9pm is utterly useless. I'm currently trying to download a couple of things from a server I run in France and I'm unable to go faster than 50KB/sec, the server is capable of supporting gigabit speeds and my airfibre should be 20mbps, but this happens every single day. During this time I also find it pretty hard loading webpages and streaming is beyond a joke, I don't know if they can fix it as each time I email support I hear nothing back, I tried emailing info and got a response telling me I'd used the wrong address and caused a delay in getting help, though they haven't replied to tickets over a month old still. I haven't raised a lot, I've given them time, I'm a server engineer and know sometimes things need investigation but I've had precisely none. I'm moving in about 2 weeks and frankly right now, I'd take 2mbps of adsl that works reliably over a 20mb airfibre service that frequently shows 0.3mbps on speedtests and ping times over well over 200ms (I'm being quite generous, I see a lot in excess of 500ms as well). If my location isn't suitable, then fair enough, but the engineer should have worked that out on install day. Final comment, I've been trying to stream a TV show off Netflix since 7pm, I've managed 9 minutes of it so far, it's 20:14 now and it's just frozen again. Good luck to the others, but if you have problems I doubt very much they'll bother looking into it. On the off chance someone from airfibre reads this, I'm client 622 if you'd like to look now I'm making it public, thanks.

pdu83
06-02-2015, 19:53
Still no response from them at all (I haven't sworn or been rude, just explained my issues) and if it helps anyone, this is my speedtest as of now: It's been like this a lot sadly:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/4122204688.png (http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4122204688)

Jabba43
06-02-2015, 22:29
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/1152396493

Much better for me, also have 2 tv's streaming whilst test performed.. Must be bad line of sight. So the takeaway from this is make sure you can see the mast with an unimpaired view.

BoPeep
06-02-2015, 23:02
That's terrible, I couldn't stand it! We get 6.5 with Europa and have a tv, laptop, 2 iPads and 2 phones working brilliantly all the time, costs though, about 35 euros a month I think.
We are at Amarilla Golf.

Jabba43
07-02-2015, 08:50
If you are semi rural you have no other choice. 2 things I can think of is possibly get a longer pole for line of sight or try wificanarias

UKj
09-02-2015, 20:16
The response here appears to have been very mixed. I'm pleased you've had a good experience with them Jabba. Sadly mine has been more in line with pdu83. I've had no communication from any of the emails I submitted or through the websites contact form. I've given up now and will put up with Movistar. It's only 2.5 Mbps per line but its been very reliable.

Jabba43
09-02-2015, 22:28
Ukj ffs pick up the phone, i always got a response.

pdu83
11-02-2015, 11:39
I can't speak very well at the moment due to a broken jaw so picking up the phone is kind of tricky but I got someone to phone for me on Saturday morning. They said they'd send an engineer Tuesday with a better wimax modem to help my issue, sadly they failed to turn up or make any contact to let me know they weren't going to, they've been engaged this morning but retrying so I'll update you on the next bit. Basically it seems if it works you're fine, but if you need support good luck! Update on my speeds are 0.16mbps this morning with 8% packet loss :(

Greg
20-02-2015, 22:48
So, has anyone given Airfibre a go yet?

pdu83
21-02-2015, 01:12
Final update, I've had no further contact at all. Luckily I've moved now and have Vodafone adsl, been as reliable as a wood burning stove so I'm happy.

Greg
21-02-2015, 22:38
I have just ordered the 20mb package. I was very impressed with the speed they returned my calls and email. 3 months cash up front and free installation. 20mb for 29€, unlimited download. 14 days to cancel. It should be installed towards the end of the week. I will post the results and opinions.

Jabba43
23-02-2015, 09:28
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4164133151

I am meant to have 30 but in reality it is between 6 and 15.

Pdu83, Vodafone relies on movistar I guess?

languagefan
23-02-2015, 14:14
Hi
A friend has got this and is extremely disappointed with the speed, and watching a simple video on youtube is nearly impossible on their computers, and their smart TV.
Unfortunately there is no guarantee for full delivery of what they claim on their websites/contracts here in Spain.
(For example:My mobile contract with Movistar says 4g connection and only when lucky I get 3g coverage!)
Good luck anyway

Greg
26-02-2015, 00:18
I had Airfibre installed last night, as a first day I have mixed feelings. The speed varies between 5 and 14 mb and downloading a movie goes between 500Kb and 1.6Mb so kind of a mixed bag. Web browsing is at least as good as the 8Mb I was getting with Movistar and so far I'm happy just to be on the 29€ fixed tariff for 20Mb so no silly charges from Telefonica. I'll post updates if anything interesting happens!

Jabba43
27-02-2015, 09:41
If you had 8mb with movistar I would not have changed. I had 0.3 MB and had no choice.

visata
14-03-2015, 18:47
Is airfibre available in costa adeje? Can I use their services for one month only? How long does it take to setup everything?

UKj
14-03-2015, 22:35
Is airfibre available in costa adeje? Can I use their services for one month only? How long does it take to setup everything?

You'll probably get some signal. Give them a call and ask http://www.airfibre.es/

They came out the same week for me. Installation will depend upon the size and complexity of your install. Their terms require you to pay for 6 months up front but at 19€ a month it's cheaper than most other offerings. I would echo most of the comments made so far. They're not the easiest company to deal with but perhaps they're just finding their feet. I chased quite a bit just to make contact and again to complete my install. I've got line of sight to the mast but still don't get the full 10 Mb all of the time. Most of the time I see around 7 Mbps but have seen it as low as 1.5 Mbps. The latency is marginally better than Movistar ADSL but the erratic speeds can make streaming no better. They're contractually obliged to give you 10% of the advertised service so if you have 1 Mb or less they're worth a look. It's also almost half the price of a Movistar ADSL connection. I'll definitely be keeping them along side one of my existing ADSL connections but wouldn't pay for more than 10 Mbps.

visata
17-03-2015, 15:17
Thanks for your reply. I contacted them by email and they replied that they "practically the whole area of Costa Adeje." Will see how it goes.

stubags
26-05-2015, 00:53
Just a note to say that if anyone's wondering how Airfibre is, my experience has been utterly abysmal.

Despite paying for 20Mbps (which I know isn't achievable), it was 1.5Mbps for first fortnight, then down to 0 since then. Am told it will be like this for a fortnight. Not sure what to expect after that. Was promised an engineer would come round to possibly fit a bigger dish but of course he hasn't.

Have paid for 3 months up front but now the cooling off period is over they say I need to send proof that the speed is low but it's actually so useless just now I can't even load up a speed checker website!

Might be better for other people, but forewarned is forearmed etc

UKj
26-05-2015, 08:59
Sadly I've had the same experience. Started off with just under 10 Mbps. Within the first 4 weeks the system was down for 2 full days. About 4 weeks ago it started to get very slow and was unusable. I submitted support emails with evidence of the connection speed but heard nothing back, other than an automated response that they had received my email. I called the AirFibre office about a week ago and was told this is affecting customers in the South and won't be fixed for 2 weeks. I've still heard nothing back to any of my support emails. The connection is up and down at the moment. When it is up, the packet loss makes it useless for VOIP or streaming.

Greg
27-05-2015, 00:10
Exactly the same for me. I had 16Mb to start with then went to useless. I am now with http://www.thortelecom.com/ which so far has been pretty good. But expensive!

stubags
28-05-2015, 11:01
UPDATE IN THE INTERESTS OF FAIRNESS
This morning was getting speeds of 7.5Mbps. It's now fluttering around 1.5 to 3, which will do. If it stays like this I'll be moderately happy. If it settles down at 7 I'll be delighted.

Re above post from TVs - v.interesting information, thanks for that - never saw the German forum post but one of the things which drew me to airfibre was the fact there was a no-strings 3-month plan. Having just arrived in Tenerife, I'm not sure if I will be staying in my current apartment for too long so I didn't want to make the commitment of going with a 12-month landline contract.

stubags
23-07-2015, 15:18
So that's my 3 months with AirFibre finished. Switched off without courtesy of a reminder, warning or even a sales pitch to extend contract.

Based on my experience, I would only recommend AirFibre to people who are nostalgic for the 1990s when pages took about 20 minutes to load up over your shonky dial-up connection.

Far too patchy, inconsistent and unreliable. Never got anywhere near to advertised speeds (which I know is a common thing with most broadband firms).

The only limited advantage is the fact you can get a 3-month contract rather than 12 months (we are moving house shortly) but in hindsight I would have much rather paid the full 12 months to someone else if the connection had been decent.

UKj
24-07-2015, 09:30
AirFibre, in the South at least, was down for 9+ hours yesterday. It came back up briefly in the evening but is down again this morning. It's been down on at least 4 occaisions in the last 3 months for a total of roughly 30 hours so far. The speeds have been inconsistent when it does work. Contacting their support by email or phone is a complete waste of time.

Greg
24-07-2015, 22:25
I still get emails asking for money even though I stopped using them two months ago. They never replied to my requests to sort out my service. A terrible company.

EvgenyW
01-10-2015, 12:10
I have an internet connection with 20mb/s download and near 10mb/s upload. Ping 70ms, dont remember about pocket loss but It was near 0. Tested in Costa del Silencio, Palm Mar and Gran Sur was very similar. Totally unlimited.
It is 3euro/day (90euro/month) or 250 euro router and 60euro/per month (long term). At the beginning I thougnt it is too expensive, but now I have a stable and really FAST internet connection at every place covered by vodafon 4g.
Also I´ve been told that there is someone offering the same connection for 100 euro deposit and 80euro/month.