PDA

View Full Version : Cars & Transport Should I get a Spanish driving licence when my UK one expires?

Callaoanne
29-10-2014, 10:29
I have a UK driving license which expires next year. I understand the rules have changed and if you keep your UK license, it has to be encrypted . As I live here in Tenerife, is it better to go for a Spanish license.I have been reading about the situation but got myself really confused. Can anyone explain in words of one syllable , what is the best thing to do.

garlicbread
29-10-2014, 12:41
If you live here (spend 183 days per year or more here) then your UK license is invalid/illegal anyway, as it is only valid if you have a genuine UK address and live in the UK. Ex-Pats who are residents of Spain, by law, MUST have a Spanish Driving license from 2015.

Suggest you join this group on Facebook where you'll find all the info you need

https://www.facebook.com/groups/162530433942210/

Arona1
29-10-2014, 13:00
I have a UK driving license which expires next year. I understand the rules have changed and if you keep your UK license, it has to be encrypted . As I live here in Tenerife, is it better to go for a Spanish license.I have been reading about the situation but got myself really confused. Can anyone explain in words of one syllable , what is the best thing to do.

"An EU directive already in force in Europe is being enforced in Spain from January 2015. No-one has to change to a Spanish licence. Drivers who are in Spain for more than six months have a choice : they must end up with one of two things:
Either a Spanish licence
OR a UK licence with a medical – both medical cert and licence inscribed with trafico."

The above statment taken from a website I believe I cannot mention, PM me if you would like a link to it :tiphat:

honda
29-10-2014, 14:31
Contact Emma at Moror World. She will give you all the info you need and can also arrange to have your licence changed.