PDA

View Full Version : The thrill running off the side of a mountain! Paragliding in Tenerife

dc52
03-11-2014, 23:30
Just home from another wonderful week in Tenerife. This time I took the plunge and did something I've wanted to do for several years. Every time I'd go to Tenerife I'd watch those guys flying down from the mountain like giant birds, as close to flying like a bird as one can get. But of course there's the fear!!
I had the advantage of once being up on a microlight many years ago, having been persuaded to go up by the pilot, who was a friend of mine, I realized the normal fear of heights doesn't seem to apply when you're strapped in and fixed to something. Also the thrill seems to overcome the fear.
I simply put my faith in the pilot and we gently ran down the slope and suddenly we were up and heading out over the side of the mountain looking at the great expanse of the terrain below. Magnificent!! We climbed for a while before heading for the coast. Hard to describe the feeling and the conditions were perfect.
We started to lose altitude as we got closer to the coast and prepared to land, on a beach full of people!!
But it was a perfect landing even for my bad leg!!
I'd recommend it to anyone.
DC.

imablue
04-11-2014, 00:02
Good on ya .......just as well you are dc52..cos i think most of us would be WC 52 ....:bootyshake:

kingbaker
04-11-2014, 05:07
Where did you do this? Was it on Los Realejos? ;)

dc52
04-11-2014, 20:21
Hi, don't know the name of the mountains, but was in from the coast from La Caleta and that's where we landed.

kingbaker
04-11-2014, 20:36
Was the take~off from a spot, inside a gate saying 'private property' and in front of a bungalow?;) (up high over the right~hand side of the motorway, behind Lidl near the roundabout on TF1, where you go left for Playa San Juan?
Sorry for the messy question!:p

malagabob
05-11-2014, 08:44
My wife and I have done in tandem with instructors off the high point in Benalmadena Costa del Sol. Great experience

dc52
05-11-2014, 19:23
Don't know exactly where it was, but I think there was a gate and then a dirt road for a bit.
Anyway it wasn't about the going up!! but the coming down!!
I simply booked it at one of the tour operators at the resort and got picked up from my hotel. I'm sure it's the same anywhere else.

kingbaker
05-11-2014, 19:34
Don't know exactly where it was, but I think there was a gate and then a dirt road for a bit.
Anyway it wasn't about the going up!! but the coming down!!
I simply booked it at one of the tour operators at the resort and got picked up from my hotel. I'm sure it's the same anywhere else.

I think it's called Martidas or something similiar. They usually fly to the back of the bottled water factory and a minibus takes them back up...weatber permitting. Excellent!!;)