PDA

View Full Version : Other Off to La Palma for a week! Does anyone have any advice for the best places to visit?

balababe
05-11-2014, 10:21
We are getting the boat to La Palma on Sunday, as it is the only island we have not visited. Any information/advice would be welcome. We are staying in the south of the island, but intend to drive around the whole area. Thank you.

Malteser Monkey
05-11-2014, 11:27
Oooo a fellow Welshie ! Dai Iawn !

We'll I'm a southern sort living in N wales

There's a few members on here that will be able to help you - Belinda and cainaries

Let's see if we can bring them on to offer some advice.

Hope you enjoy your trip and please report back:wave:

balababe
05-11-2014, 11:36
Thanks, Malteser Monkey. We love living in Wales, but in Bala it seems to rain all the time! - so only there in the summer now. The delights of being retired. I will definitely report back.

Malteser Monkey
05-11-2014, 13:25
Good stuff - look forward to it and enjoy

Hepa
05-11-2014, 14:18
We are getting the boat to La Palma on Sunday, as it is the only island we have not visited. Any information/advice would be welcome. We are staying in the south of the island, but intend to drive around the whole area. Thank you.

La isla Bonita, Roque de los Muchachos is a must, if you get clear skies, the views are spectacular. to the south of Fuencaliente, there is the remains of the last Canary Island land eruption, when we visited some years ago, 1995, it was still warm to the touch. The Capital is very interesting and pretty. From La Palma we first saw what was to be our home El Hierro.

Enjoy your visit.

KirstyJay
05-11-2014, 21:42
La isla Bonita, Roque de los Muchachos is a must, if you get clear skies, the views are spectacular. to the south of Fuencaliente, there is the remains of the last Canary Island land eruption, when we visited some years ago, 1995, it was still warm to the touch. The Capital is very interesting and pretty. From La Palma we first saw what was to be our home El Hierro.

Enjoy your visit.

Yes, the last eruption in Teneguia is a good visit. Roque de los Muchachos, you can book an observatory tour online if you are quick. If you're active, then Acropark is great in El Paso. We stay in Tazacorte and there's some lovely restaurants there. It's also got a nice beach. The rock pools in the North are nice too. It will take you about 2 hours continual driving to circumnavigate the island, so you can get a lot done! On the way back from Fuencaliente on the Tazacorte side, there's a nice bodega with a restaurant called Tamanca. Buy some wine there if you can. It's all fantastic.

balababe
06-11-2014, 21:03
Thank you Hepa and Kirsty Jay. That is really useful. I am going online to look at the Roque de los Muchachos observatory tour now. Hepa, I love El Hierro - whereabouts to you live? We thought of living there, but procrastinated too long. Beautiful island.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Just booked the observatory! Thank you, KirstyJay.

Hepa
06-11-2014, 21:47
Thank you Hepa and Kirsty Jay. That is really useful. I am going online to look at the Roque de los Muchachos observatory tour now. Hepa, I love El Hierro - whereabouts to you live? We thought of living there, but procrastinated too long. Beautiful island.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Just booked the observatory! Thank you, KirstyJay.

We live in Valverde, we are two of the four English residents on the island, but also have a place in Tamaduste, which at the moment is for sale, when sold we will buy another without stairs. I envy your tour of the observatory.

KirstyJay
07-11-2014, 01:32
The observatory tour is really interesting. We also did the Astro Safari

http://astrolapalma.com/en/astronomy-safari

bonitatime
07-11-2014, 07:40
There was a guanche museum in the north but I dont remember exactly where
It was Interesting.

languagefan
25-11-2014, 14:38
Drive all around the island and experience 4 seasons in one little island! Bon voyage!

christa
26-11-2014, 09:31
Looking forward to hearing about your trip Balababe. This is close to the top of my summer "places to visit" list.

christa
03-10-2015, 17:24
About to book 3 nights in Santa Cruz de La Palma. Been looking at hotels and leaning towards Hotel San Telmo. Has anyone stayed here ? or can recommend an unknown hidden gem that's not on the usual websites? cheers.

Malteser Monkey
03-10-2015, 17:29
About to book 3 nights in Santa Cruz de La Palma. Been looking at hotels and leaning towards Hotel San Telmo. Has anyone stayed here ? or can recommend an unknown hidden gem that's not on the usual websites? cheers.

Oooo this is where residents cainaries and Belinda may come in handy - come on ladies you know you want to:crazy:

warbey
03-10-2015, 20:16
Oooo this is where residents cainaries and Belinda may come in handy - come on ladies you know you want to:crazy:

Just to help a little, I hope

I seem to remember that KirstyJay had a trip there too. She's around I'm sure..

Hepa
03-10-2015, 20:26
I've been to La Palma a couple of times, but went self catering in Puerto Naos, on the other side of the island, I think if I went again I would take the car and aim for Santa Cruz, thats where the ferry docked. Unfortunately ferries from here have been discontinued.

Belinda
21-12-2015, 11:39
Not sure if 'better late than never' is absolutely true in this case, but here I am anyway!
Always happy to help with questions about La Palma even though I haven't been popping in to the forum recently due to a rising work load.
But since we are now official Intermediadores Turísticos, we have a large portfolio of apartments, hotels and rural houses so happy to help with accommodation (locating, booking, etc).
Plus questions on walking, transport etc as we've lived here full time for 14 years now we've gleaned a bit of information :)
For accommodation, the one place I can always recommend is the Log Cabin with swimming pool centrally located for sightseeing and beaches. cainaries can also recommend it so you can ask Sue or me!