PDA

View Full Version : Internet I'm looking for a pay as you go data SIM

cwaite
09-11-2014, 22:57
I am visiting San Eugenio over the Christmas week and staying in an apartment that doesn't have WIFI opposite the Shopping Centre (centro commercial).

I am looking for a good pay as you go sim to put in my unlocked Android HTC Desire phone, so that I can tether to two iPads whilst I am in the apartment, I know that quite a few providers don't allow tethering but I have read if you are using an Android phone its still possible. I know that many bars and restaurants offer free WIFI but I am looking for something whilst I am in the apartment.

I have seen two services that I think maybe suitable, Lebara Internet Pass which is currently offering 2GB for 15 Euros or Orange which is 8.95 Euros for 1GB which can be topped up when needed, does any one have any experience with these, can I walk into a shop (with my passport) and pick up a sim card and activate the data service, or is there more too it than that (i.e. do I have to purchase calling credit then add the data service).

Does anyone here have and first hand experience with either of these services? Does anyone know what the reception is like for either service in San Eugenio? Does anyone know of a better provider?

Thanks in advance

marbro8
10-11-2014, 00:30
try a pm to Tshirt,he is the expert on here where sim cards and wifi are concerned, and i think he stays in san eugenio as well;)

Tshirt
10-11-2014, 01:15
cwaite. Go to A1 Computers on the 1st floor of CC San Eugenio and they will advise you on the best options available at the time. I use an unlocked MiFi (mobile WiFi) device with a local prepaid (payg) data sim fitted. I then connect my iPad and iPhone to the internet via the MiFi. I've had problems tethering in Tenerife, iPad/iPhone, but that was with my UK sim not a local one. I stay in Torviscas bajo and I normally only use the device in the apartment and I've never had any problems with signal strength. That's with Vodafone ES, I have no experience with other network providers. The last time I was there (April this year) I paid 20 euros for 1GB, which is dearer than what you've quoted, hopefully it's cheaper now. There may be better solutions but I'm sure A1 will advise, they're very helpful.

Just take your passport with you, the girl in A1 does all the setting up etc for you and tests the connection while you're still there.

cwaite
10-11-2014, 16:25
Tshirt that's fantastic thanks very much it is a little more than I wanted to pay, do you have an email address for them or a website? if so I can email them and see what the current price is.

If anyone else has had any experience of Orange or Lebara I would still be interested to hear (keeping my options open)

Tshirt
10-11-2014, 17:34
Tshirt that's fantastic thanks very much it is a little more than I wanted to pay, do you have an email address for them or a website? if so I can email them and see what the current price is.

If anyone else has had any experience of Orange or Lebara I would still be interested to hear (keeping my options open)

I've only got a telephone No. +34 922713582, give them a bell, they speak english.

http://www.ccsaneugenio.com/en/locales/locales.php?idlocal=76 NB. the link doesn't always work

theslaters
10-11-2014, 22:33
Very nice lady in A1 computers got 2gig for 20e for the iPad last month same as last year .
she was very busy in the shop so must be doing things right.

cwaite
21-11-2014, 15:57
Very nice lady in A1 computers got 2gig for 20e for the iPad last month same as last year .
she was very busy in the shop so must be doing things right.

theslaters
Thanks for the info, Sounds good value, do you know what network or package this was that gave you 2gb for 20e

golf birdie
21-11-2014, 19:12
theslaters
Thanks for the info, Sounds good value, do you know what network or package this was that gave you 2gb for 20e

lebara offers 2 gb for 14 euros, 3gb for 25 euros. Both last 30 days.

theslaters
21-11-2014, 22:58
lebara offers 2 gb for 14 euros, 3gb for 25 euros. Both last 30 days.

Think it was lebara had vodaphone last year but she told us the lebara was better because you can FaceTime on it.

bonitatime
22-11-2014, 08:18
I have Orange via más mobile And in the playa Fañaba área its fine
There is an Orange sales point inside CC Fañabe plaza which is a 10 min walk from Torviscas bajo

norte
22-11-2014, 12:27
the best srtenght of signal is obviously vodafone, better avoid things like mas movil lebara lyca etc. 20 euro 1.6gb. expensive but if you use just once no big deal, i buying it 2-3x a month..:(

golf birdie
22-11-2014, 12:40
the best srtenght of signal is obviously vodafone, better avoid things like mas movil lebara lyca etc. 20 euro 1.6gb. expensive but if you use just once no big deal, i buying it 2-3x a month..:(

I am yet to meet anyone in LA or LC who had any problems with Lebara. Maybe out in the sticks its different.

cwaite
22-11-2014, 21:15
Think it was lebara had vodaphone last year but she told us the lebara was better because you can FaceTime on it.

Thanks for that, yes I am going to be staying across the road from the Shopping center in San Eugineo behind Veredes, so I would assume I would get a good signal from Lebara/Vodaphone or Orange but if anyone knows different please let me know.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

I have Orange via más mobile And in the playa Fañaba área its fine
There is an Orange sales point inside CC Fañabe plaza which is a 10 min walk from Torviscas bajo

Do you know if you can use "Orange via más mobile" in a MIFI for tethering to other devices.

Canary Mate
21-12-2014, 18:51
I noticed about a new service of Internet Wifi to bring everywhere. Check the website www.woolcany.com (http://www.woolcany.com). It says that it is totally unlimited.

cwaite
26-12-2014, 19:39
cwaite. Go to A1 Computers on the 1st floor of CC San Eugenio and they will advise you on the best options available at the time. I use an unlocked MiFi (mobile WiFi) device with a local prepaid (payg) data sim fitted. I then connect my iPad and iPhone to the internet via the MiFi. I've had problems tethering in Tenerife, iPad/iPhone, but that was with my UK sim not a local one. I stay in Torviscas bajo and I normally only use the device in the apartment and I've never had any problems with signal strength. That's with Vodafone ES, I have no experience with other network providers. The last time I was there (April this year) I paid 20 euros for 1GB, which is dearer than what you've quoted, hopefully it's cheaper now. There may be better solutions but I'm sure A1 will advise, they're very helpful.

Just take your passport with you, the girl in A1 does all the setting up etc for you and tests the connection while you're still there.

Thanks for the recommendation Tshirt popped over to them with my unlocked 3 mifi gizmo and got 2gb usage for 20euros on Vodafone, the guy in the shop set it all up for me, excellent service.

Tshirt
26-12-2014, 22:25
Thanks for the recommendation Tshirt popped over to them with my unlocked 3 mifi gizmo and got 2gb usage for 20euros on Vodafone, the guy in the shop set it all up for me, excellent service.

Glad you got sorted, don't forget to switch off automatic updates on each of your devices.