PDA

View Full Version : Cars & Transport Can we register a car if we are non resident?

Jabba43
11-11-2014, 19:02
We own a house on the Island but are non resident. Can we register a car?

Just FYI I have found a roll on roll off car ferry that goes from Zebrugge in Belgium to Tenerife. Far better than driving.

bulldog
11-11-2014, 20:14
I think you can use 6 months a year or register it on TF,S no problem it will need to pass an ITV and you will pay some sort of import tax its a long time
since I imported a car from the U.K. but I remember the car had to be registered in my name already in the U.K. but for sure a non-resident can register
a used car in their name in Tenerife bring every bit of paper you have on the car just in case.

garlicbread
11-11-2014, 21:53
We own a house on the Island but are non resident. Can we register a car?

Just FYI I have found a roll on roll off car ferry that goes from Zebrugge in Belgium to Tenerife. Far better than driving.

What's the name of the ferry operator please? A link to their website would also be helpful

Jabba43
11-11-2014, 22:19
http://www.gruposuardiaz.com/ Looks like they might go from Southampton too on page 7 of this PDF

https://www.fonasba.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/EMD-SUARDIAZ-GROUP.pdf

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

I think you can use 6 months a year or register it on TF,S no problem it will need to pass an ITV and you will pay some sort of import tax its a long time
since I imported a car from the U.K. but I remember the car had to be registered in my name already in the U.K. but for sure a non-resident can register
a used car in their name in Tenerife bring every bit of paper you have on the car just in case.

Must be registered in 6 months from what I have heard. So basically buy now, drive until the summer then get on local plates.

bulldog
12-11-2014, 09:47
not really sure about that laws change all the time here I remember a Rolls Royce in Callao on U.K.plates for a long time you would need to get the latest
info.on that.bring the sales bill with you I know they like to over value for tax purposes I brought over a Pontiac Firebird in 1990 they tried to value it as a super car
with a value of a small house luckily I had an American auto trader mag.full of them at low money they had no choice but to value it at sensible money