PDA

View Full Version : Health I had a dreadful experience with a private doctor in Tenerife

willowlily
18-11-2014, 15:45
for many years I used dr Karen whitiker she was a dedicated and very kind doctor.
I am in Tenerife oct-may every year. I saw a dr carmona 4 weeks ago a lovely lady that seemed to have my records in front of her no problem with my usual meds, i had an accident in uk 5 months ago she prescribed tramadol same as my uk doctor. when I got home I saw I had been given 20 tramadol tablets, at 3 per day this was only 6-7 days supply a friend gave me a supply to tide me over
I made an appointment last week and specifically asked for dr carmona and would wait until she was available I know they have different dr but I wanted continuity and to explain the problem with only being given 20 tramadol.
I arrived today was taken into the consultation room and there was a male dr I asked if I could see dr carmona no reply this dr was talking Arabic on his mobile phone this was a personal call and then speaking Spanish with his assistant whilst signing papers etc etc whilst I was trying to explain why I was there. his reply to the 20 tramadol he said yes 6-7 days supply, we don't give a prescription for 6 months, I said was expecting a months supply. then I asked for my normal meds he said he needs my prescription from the uk, I told him that dr Karen whittiker had been prescribing me my normal meds when I was in Tenerife as did dr carmona in this practice 4 weeks ago. he said he had no record of this and refused to give me my normal prescription. I told him I am not due to go back to the uk till may he just shrugged his shoulders and handed me the prescription for 2 weeks supply of tramadol.
I went to reception told her I would no longer be needing this practices services nor this prescription handing it back with 30euros and walked out.
i shall have to find another private practise

kingbaker
18-11-2014, 23:20
I think you need to go back and say sorry to this Dr and let him so his job instead of you telling hom what you want!!
Tramadolo is a very serious pain killer, used for example if you come off a motorbike at 80km per hour on the motorway. Its not for people 'well enough' to go on holidays for 5 months to use. Your friend should NOT be sharing his prescription. Drug supplying witbout a medical licence is probs a serious offence, as Tramadolo is Morphine and is strictly controled in the EU, 'cause it's addictive. In my humble opinion, you need an urgent review of your current attitudes.

Tom & Sharon
18-11-2014, 23:26
I think you need to go back and say sorry to this Dr and let him so his job instead of you telling hom what you want!!
Tramadolo is a very serious pain killer, used for example if you come off a motorbike at 80km per hour on the motorway. Its not for people 'well enough' to go on holidays for 5 months to use. Your friend should NOT be sharing his prescription. Drug supplying witbout a medical licence is probs a serious offence, as Tramadolo is Morphine and is strictly controled in the EU, 'cause it's addictive. In my humble opinion, you need an urgent review of your current attitudes.

Agreed, Tramadol is terrible stuff.

timmylish
19-11-2014, 02:39
Having progressed from Tramadol to Oxycontin you might realise that what I am going to say comes with experience of now Grade 2 drugs (Oxycontin is sigificantly more powerful, addictive and dangerous that Tramadol). For several years now, no matter the circumstances the maximum prescription which the Spanish Health Care System allows is TWO weeks and even there this was only because from time to time I am unable to leave the house and there was the possibilty of being bedridden just at the point when a new prescription was likely to become required. It was done on the basis that I would not abuse the system and operate as tho' I was restricted to what most people are allowed which I think might be 10 days supply, or less! Whatever the exact figure is let me concur in the strongest possible terms the views expressed Kingbaker. I receive a preset prescription which allows me to visit a Farmacia on a weekly basis, thereby ensuring I have sufficient but not more to make me attractive to drug peddlars which can retail these drugs at amazing amounts. If anyone ever watches CSI Las Vagas or sometimes NCIS you will hear oxy mentioned when drug theft is being investigated as it has now become the most sought after drug following herion/morphine. Now, hopefully, you should be getting the idea what we are talking about here so I can only express my utter amazement if you have been correct in what you wrote concerning Dr. Whittaker and Carmona. I would be surprised if there is not a move afoot to bar the latter doctor which is of course sad but needed to safeguard unsuspecting clients new to this type of medication (if I can call it that). Now the O/p will clearly see that the latest doctor has been entirely correct in his prescribing this drug at a maximum of 7 days, since he does not know you. The only reason I have a bit of leaway is that I am under the direct care of Candelaria Hospital in S.C. and they regulate and control the amount and strength of this drug. I will be astounded if the O/p gets another doctor give a differing prescription.
As to having a 'dreadful experience' wait until you have to see a non-private doctor!

Tony the Welder
19-11-2014, 08:18
just a quick question are they different types of tramadol , as I was given 60 tramadol cinfa 50mg to relive me of pain over the counter in a local cemist tried 2 made me sick so got some ibuprofeno cinfa 600mg which did the job

helena246
19-11-2014, 11:25
[QUOTE=kingbaker;414748]I think you need to go back and say sorry to this Dr and let him so his job instead of you telling hom what you want!!
Tramadolo is a very serious pain killer, used for example if you come off a motorbike at 80km per hour on the motorway. Its not for people 'well enough' to go on holidays for 5 months to use. Your friend should NOT be sharing his prescription. Drug supplying witbout a medical licence is probs a serious offence, as Tramadolo is Morphine and is strictly controled in the EU, 'cause it's addictive.

a very unhelpful answer to this person have you read her post correctly
I also have heard that some of these doctors at this surgery ( dr whitikers old surgery at the arona gran ) are very unfriendly, unprofessional and incredibly rude.

willowlily
19-11-2014, 12:13

kingbaker

I have been a patient of karen whitker for 15 year at the arona gran and before at cristian sur, when she retired I was assured my records would be transferred to the new owners.
5 months ago I was mowed down by a car in London of which 2 persons died on the spot and recently several of the more seriously injured have also died, I had multiple fractures of feet, ankle knee, displaced fractured arm needing an operation to insert a pin in my elbow, my uk orthopaedic surgeon advised against using anti inflammatory drugs as they have found they delay healing of fractures so I was offered tramadol or codeine I found tramadol made me feel less nausea. at the time I was not sure whether I would be able as usual to spend the winter in Tenerife I was having weekly physio and in September decided I would come to Tenerife knowing I could swim everyday the warmth being a bonus to my recovery, I brought only a months supply of tramadol hoping to stop it a.s.a.p last month I went to the practice at arona gran met a lovely doctor carmona who examined my injuries and it was pretty obvious 20 tablet would not be enough, I think it was just a mistake. when I returned I requested an appointment with doctor carmona so as not to make the same mistake, I was assured my appointment was with doctor carmona but I was offered no explanation when I was presented to another doctor.
I am only taking tramadol till I am able to sleep without extreme pain.
I also thought being semi disabled till I recover would not be a problem as I see people in various states of disability that are well served here in Tenerife.
I am sorry that some posters find swallows a complaining bunch. I pay for all the services I require here in Tenerife
from monies earned in the uk.
as for apologising to this moron doctor dream on.

timmylish
19-11-2014, 19:06
kingbaker

I have been a patient of karen whitker for 15 year at the arona gran and before at cristian sur, when she retired I was assured my records would be transferred to the new owners.
5 months ago I was mowed down by a car in London of which 2 persons died on the spot and recently several of the more seriously injured have also died, I had multiple fractures of feet, ankle knee, displaced fractured arm needing an operation to insert a pin in my elbow, my uk orthopaedic surgeon advised against using anti inflammatory drugs as they have found they delay healing of fractures so I was offered tramadol or codeine I found tramadol made me feel less nausea. at the time I was not sure whether I would be able as usual to spend the winter in Tenerife I was having weekly physio and in September decided I would come to Tenerife knowing I could swim everyday the warmth being a bonus to my recovery, I brought only a months supply of tramadol hoping to stop it a.s.a.p last month I went to the practice at arona gran met a lovely doctor carmona who examined my injuries and it was pretty obvious 20 tablet would not be enough, I think it was just a mistake. when I returned I requested an appointment with doctor carmona so as not to make the same mistake, I was assured my appointment was with doctor carmona but I was offered no explanation when I was presented to another doctor.
I am only taking tramadol till I am able to sleep without extreme pain.
I also thought being semi disabled till I recover would not be a problem as I see people in various states of disability that are well served here in Tenerife.
I am sorry that some posters find swallows a complaining bunch. I pay for all the services I require here in Tenerife
from monies earned in the uk.
as for apologising to this moron doctor dream on.

But I would respectfully draw your attention to the fact that you,ve not reported on being able to meet a new doctor who might comply with your wishes.

willowlily
19-11-2014, 21:15
But I would respectfully draw your attention to the fact that you,ve not reported on being able to meet a new doctor who might comply with your wishes.

TIMMYLISH
give me a chance this was only yesterday, I have contacted my surgery in uk ordered a repeat prescription to arrive at my local boots the chemist a friend will be coming out next week with my medication. in the meanwhile paracetamol with pernod and pear cocktail helps get me through the night, in future I will ensure I bring any medication I need from the uk.
I do realise sharing other peoples meds is not the way to go but sometimes it is a godsend.

timmylish
19-11-2014, 22:51
TIMMYLISH
give me a chance this was only yesterday, I have contacted my surgery in uk ordered a repeat prescription to arrive at my local boots the chemist a friend will be coming out next week with my medication. in the meanwhile paracetamol with pernod and pear cocktail helps get me through the night, in future I will ensure I bring any medication I need from the uk.
I do realise sharing other peoples meds is not the way to go but sometimes it is a godsend.

Right, this is my last shot at this as I honestly believe you might not be in a position to answer future exchanges.
At this moment in time you must have some remnants of Tramadol in your system. Do you have any idea of the consequences of mixing such a drug with alchohol? I had a stroke 9 years ago, completly seperate from this issue but I do know what is a common cause for a stroke. Mixing the two.
Or, might it be that you are not currently on Tramadol, for health reasons.
Keep safe.

willowlily
20-11-2014, 20:54
Right, this is my last shot at this as I honestly believe you might not be in a position to answer future exchanges.
At this moment in time you must have some remnants of Tramadol in your system. Do you have any idea of the consequences of mixing such a drug with alchohol? I had a stroke 9 years ago, completly seperate from this issue but I do know what is a common cause for a stroke. Mixing the two.
Or, might it be that you are not currently on Tramadol, for health reasons.

Keep safe.

TIMMYLISH

thank you for your concern.