PDA

View Full Version : Relocation Looking to relocate to north Tenerife - any realistic advice much appreciated!

ginandmilk
21-11-2014, 13:06
Hi,

My OH and I are looking to relocate to Tenerife. We had previously considered moving to Lanzarote, but after our second trip last week, we've changed our minds. Landscape wise, it doesn't look great, there isn't really much to do and I think I'd get bored pretty easily.
I'm 40, my husband is 53 but had to take early retirement on ill health grounds, which is the main reason why we are attracted to the climate. I know north Tenerife is wetter, but at least there's some greenery!

We met with a relocation adviser in Lanzarote who said we could afford to live quite well from my husband's income. When we explained we would be looking to rent a villa, he said we could comfortably afford 2 bedrooms with a small pool quite easily. I can't find any long term property rentals on the internet though to give us an idea of prices, and I'm guessing properties in Tenerife might be a bit more expensive?

We would like to be near the beach (wouldn't everyone), but what we really don't want is to be isolated from everywhere else. Initially we were looking at relocating in 2 - 3 years time, however, my current contract at work expires November next year and there isn't the funding to renew it, so that might mean moving sooner rather than later.

Does anyone have any advice about relocating to Tenerife please? Even though it must have been a stressful time, do you still think you made the right decision? If anyone could give any pointers as to where I can look at properties for long term rent to give us an idea of prices that would be really helpful too.

Hope to hear from you soon :-)

Tenerife Sun
21-11-2014, 17:49
I live in Puerto de la Cruz, about 10/15 minute walk into the centre of town and I love living here. Living in the south would be too hot for me and I do like the greenery here. There's lots to do if you want it. There are clubs for tennis, bowls, cards and dominoes. Walking groups and lunch groups. An English church and English library which both have a lot of groups and activities attached to them. Spanish lessons are a fun and useful thing to do. We also have the large open air pool complex and good shops. Google Puerto de la Cruz and have a look at life here. Also check out www.zenit85.com

ginandmilk
21-11-2014, 18:00
Hi, thanks for your reply. Funnily enough, we've been looking at Puerto de la Cruz this afternoon and it looks perfect for us. I love that it has a library too (I work with libraries as a bibliotherapist, so I'm a big fan of these places)!
We also think the south would be too hot (and in some places too chaotic). Thanks also for sending the link. I've been really struggling to find prices of rental properties, and, whilst there are no villas currently listed, renting an apartment when we first arrive won't do us any harm until we find one (we do have two little dogs though).

I'm really glad you love living there. It looks beautiful.

warbey
21-11-2014, 21:17

This question is asked more than a few times each Year.

There is a facility on the top right of the posts index Page, to help You find Threads to suit with Information Youn may find helpful.

There are at least half a dozen active Members from the Puerto Cruz Area too, so keep an eye open.

Best of luck.

ginandmilk
22-11-2014, 12:18
Thank you Warbey, much appreciated!

Voyager
06-12-2014, 11:14
This may seem a minor point now but Tenerife is very hilly, as you get older you may need to consider this.

ginandmilk
06-12-2014, 11:25
This may seem a minor point now but Tenerife is very hilly, as you get older you may need to consider this.

I live in Yorkshire, so I'll have to consider it at some point anyway. Hopefully I won't have to worry about hills and ice together if we do move.

Voyager
06-12-2014, 11:47
I live in Yorkshire, so I'll have to consider it at some point anyway. Hopefully I won't have to worry about hills and ice together if we do move.

Not much ice unless you plan to live on Teide which is currently covered in snow!

ginandmilk
06-12-2014, 11:55
Not much ice unless you plan to live on Teide which is currently covered in snow!

Oh I don't really want to live on a mountain, the Pennines are bad enough lol!
Tiede does look beautiful though. Can't wait to visit in May :-)