PDA

View Full Version : Other Will it be difficult for us the find work in Tenerife?

Amarcord
22-11-2014, 16:21
Hello everyone, we are a couple living in Italy, next year we will move to Tenerife, I'm Italian, retired, my wife is from Ukraine and speaks Russian, Ukrainian and Italian. In what area do you recommend to live in Tenerife? My wife will have a hard time finding work? Costa Adeje is frequented by many Russians, perhaps she could find work in this area? Thanks in advance for the answers that you will give me.

amanda
22-11-2014, 18:32
Lots of Russian timeshare sellers needed in Russian

bonitatime
23-11-2014, 18:33
One of the languages here that helps get a job is Russian
Jobs are not particularly high paying but the cost of living isn't either
Try to learn some Spanish before you come

Amarcord
23-11-2014, 18:54
Muchas gracias bonitatime, yo hablo un poco de español, mi esposa a hacer los cursos en Tenerife (Yo también para mejorar...). Adiós, tal vez en Tenerife ...

KirstyJay
23-11-2014, 20:56
What qualifications do you and your wife have, or what work experience?

Amarcord
24-11-2014, 00:50
I was administration manager, my wife is currently working as animator in a retirement home, in the past she worked as a coordinator and cash management in a bar- restaurants.

KirstyJay
24-11-2014, 11:44
No teaching experience or qualifications then? A native Russian that is qualified to teach Russian to speakers of other languages would easily find work. We might even be interested ourselves in the future depending on class availability.

lawyerman
18-01-2015, 23:39
Hi all. I'm looking to retire to Tenerife in about a year from now. If I do a TOEFL or similar course before leaving UK is there work to be had teaching English. I'm not looking to earn a lot of money, just think I need to have something to do.

gpetrovski75
26-01-2015, 07:51
No teaching experience or qualifications then? A native Russian that is qualified to teach Russian to speakers of other languages would easily find work. We might even be interested ourselves in the future depending on class availability.

Hello! My wife and me are going to move to Tenerife from Russia and would like to consider some job opportunities in advance. George

KirstyJay
26-01-2015, 14:47
Hello! My wife and me are going to move to Tenerife from Russia and would like to consider some job opportunities in advance. GeorgeDoes she have any teaching qualifications?

gpetrovski75
26-01-2015, 15:47
Does she have any teaching qualifications?

She is actually qualified to teach English to speakers of Russian. No chance?

KirstyJay
26-01-2015, 22:07
She is actually qualified to teach English to speakers of Russian. No chance?

It would be better if she was qualified to teach Russian to speakers of other languages, but knowing how to teach is a bonus. If you send a cv to info (at) islaidiomas.com, we'll see what we can do.

gpetrovski75
27-01-2015, 04:46
Thank you!

doreen
27-01-2015, 13:07
Hi all. I'm looking to retire to Tenerife in about a year from now. If I do a TOEFL or similar course before leaving UK is there work to be had teaching English. I'm not looking to earn a lot of money, just think I need to have something to do.

If you were to live in the North of the island, then I believe there would be some opportunities to teach English to professionals/business executives, presuming you are indeed a "lawyer man" :)

An idea: visit the Law Department in the University in La Laguna to suggest some short/intensive language courses aimed at the undergraduates.

lawyerman
30-01-2015, 12:11
Thanks for that. Yes I am a lawyer. I want to learn Spanish and have found courses run by the University in Adeje. Do you have any knowledge about a good long term course? I am in the process of buying a property near Guia de Isora. I hadn't thought of teaching at University level but I will have a look at the web site.

doreen
30-01-2015, 13:22
What I did to get a good start in Spanish (though I had already studied Italian at University which was indeed a help), was to go take an intensive course in Madrid for two weeks with private lessons in the afternoon. Exhausting, and interesting to be sitting surrounded by Erasmus students !

KirstyJay who has replied upthread runs a language school in your area who should be able to help.

My idea regarding the Law Department would be that it would make for interesting Conversation classes for the students to talk to a qualified lawyer rather than just some 20 year old visiting student :)

lawyerman
30-01-2015, 13:50
Just tried to PM KirsyJay but the system says she does not accept private messages! I've had a quick look at the university web site but it's mostly in Spanish (only an English person would think it should also be in English!). I am no longer in practice as a lawyer, I'm a judge, so maybe they would be interested in my pearls of wisdom!! Just cut the baby in half!!

KirstyJay
30-01-2015, 17:57
You can email me through the website in my signature. ;) info (at) Islaidiomas.com. the Spanish teacher is Muriel. the academy landline is 922138322