PDA

View Full Version : Other Scammed by Criminals at LIDL in Las Chafiras

rocktrucker
22-11-2014, 23:47
I thought I would post this up as a WARNING to other shoppers at Lidl in Las Chafiras.

Earlier today I went to Lidl after dropping off my son at my mothers house and when I got home I realised that my iphone was missing. I hunted high and low for it in the car and the house to no avail. Started calling it and it was ringing out and just going to answerphone. A couple of hours later my mother got a phonecall from a Polish woman who said that she had 'found' my phone and within 20 seconds she was demanding financial compensation for it from her.

I then rang this lady on my phone, who refused to give me her name and told me that I had to meet her in the Infantil kids park in Las Galletes. So I duly went down there to meet her with my boyfriend, where this women in her early 50's turned up with her 6 year old 'son' whilst clutching my phone tightly.

We were then talking for a few minutes and she still was not offering to hand over the phone to me, which I thought was strange and she seemed very surprised that we lived here in Las Chafiras as she was convinced I was a 'holiday maker'.

Then she got on to the conversation of the phone, saying that her son had found it and that she had been already been online to segundamano.es and found out that the phone was apparently worth 200 euros. I am not sure which version of segundamano that she went on, but anyone could clearly see that my 6 year old iphone 3 is not really worth more than 50 euros. She then started disputing with me over the value of it, saying how does she know that I didn't buy the phone last week new (despite the fact that Apple discontinued selling this model a few years back). She then started spouting about a finders fee law in Tenerife that meant that anyone that had found a lost phone like this was entitled to a finders fee of 20%, hence she was keen to push the valuation of my phone being 200 euros.

In the end I ended up giving her 20 euros (which is what I was originally going to give her in the first place), she seemed really pi@@ed off and we left the park. The mere fact that she had gone on segundamano as soon as she got home and then was demanding money from the outset, makes me think that maybe my phone wasn't lost at all, I think it was lifted from me whilst I was shopping at Lidl, with the thieves thinking that I had a much newer version iphone which would have been much more valuable, until they realised that they had picked up a phone that is worth 10 - 20 euros on the black market tops, so they thought that they would offer it up back to me for 20% of 200 euros = 40 euros.

Does this sound like the actions of someone that had innocently picked up a lost phone? Anyway the phone is back in one piece, so at least I haven't lost my numbers, thank goodness.

amanda
01-12-2014, 16:13
Me I would have taken a photo of her and gone into the cultural centre in las galletas there is a police desk there and informed them what had happend.

rocktrucker
01-12-2014, 16:57
Me I would have taken a photo of her and gone into the cultural centre in las galletas there is a police desk there and informed them what had happend.

Yes that is a good point that we were thinking about at the time, but everything goes so quickly in these situations especially when she didn't really speak English very well, so things were having to be spoken in Spanish and Polish with her at the time.