PDA

View Full Version : Relocation Does anyone have any opinions about Costa del Silencio area for my retirement?

P Quinn
08-12-2014, 22:09
Am in a privileged position where I am about to retire this year, still healthy and in reasonable shape.
Have holidayed in Tenerife for 5 years (accept this is not same as relocating).
The general plan is to purchase an apartment and stay throughout the winter for about 4/5 month and attempt to rent out during summer.
Done a reasonable amount of research.
Costa Del Silencio would appear to offer apartments within my price range.
Any general thoughts regarding this area.

LUCKY
08-12-2014, 22:18
Do more research you mentioned silenciio . ( do more research) . Lower GDS may be a better option.:flatcap:

KirstyJay
08-12-2014, 22:20
What is your price range? There are many areas you could probably buy in, so if you give a roundabout figure maybe members could suggest other places so you can make an informed decision. There are loads of bargains to be had on the property market at the moment.

Susief
09-12-2014, 00:36
Am in a privileged position where I am about to retire this year, still healthy and in reasonable shape.
The general plan is to purchase an apartment and stay throughout the winter for about 4/5 month and attempt to rent out during summer.

There is nothing wrong with Costa del Silencio. It has a good number of bars/shops. Has a regular bus service and isn't far from Las Galletas which is my favourite place in Tenerife.
We own a static caravan only a 5 min drive from Silencio.

P Quinn
09-12-2014, 03:00
Thanks, can you elaborate on Lower GDS, I'm not familiar with term. Thanks again.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Was thinking up to a max of around Ģ100,000. Apartment with 2 bedrooms if possible.

Tony the Welder
09-12-2014, 09:37
lower golf del sur is a nice place I like the duquessa del mar complex it as a few restaurants and shops straight in front of the complex personally I prefer costa del silencio and las galletas on the door step is just a bonus, quite a few apartments in your price range, but try a fact finding holiday before you buy and make sure you can rent the apartment out when not in use as you will be aiming for the holiday market and maybe need some one to look after it when you are not here

martincrabb99
09-12-2014, 10:16
I personally like all the areas mentioned but a fact finding mission is a great idea and will pay dividends in the long run

candy2411
09-12-2014, 12:11
You ideally need to rent somewhere to get the feel of an area before you decide to purchase. Would think both the areas mentioned Silencio and Golf del Sur would have many properties available at the price you mention. Both places are convenient for the airport but on the Golf you and any prospective visitors or renters would need a car as the bus service is infrequent and taxis everywhere could prove expensive. Silencio however has great bus service and more supermarkets within easy access. Just my opinion, good luck with your venture.

KirstyJay
09-12-2014, 12:54
Thanks, can you elaborate on Lower GDS, I'm not familiar with term. Thanks again.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Was thinking up to a max of around Ģ100,000. Apartment with 2 bedrooms if possible.

You could also try the west coast. My mum's just got a lovely 2 bed in Playa San Juan fully furnished for under that price. There are some lovely villages. Alcalá, Puerto Santiago, Los Gigantes, all with good infrastructure to get into Las Americas and Los Cristianos if you want to.

Los Abrigos or El Medano are also places you could consider.

lesbroz
09-12-2014, 14:57
Have you thought about just going for long term rental? For a 100,000 you could rent in a different place for 25 years, or, at least you could try a couple of places before making your decision.:goodluck:

candy2411
09-12-2014, 19:43
Have you thought about just going for long term rental? For a 100,000 you could rent in a different place for 25 years, or, at least you could try a couple of places before making your decision.:goodluck:

That sounds the best option to me and one I'd take if I had my time again. Keep hold of your capital and no worries over Spanish Inheritance tax when the time comes .

timmylish
09-12-2014, 20:24
That sounds the best option to me and one I'd take if I had my time again. Keep hold of your capital and no worries over Spanish Inheritance tax when the time comes .

With the greatest of respect the o/p and partner will have little to worry about, Inheritance Tax et al, once they have met their maker! Paying rent out for 25 years and having nothing to show for it, not good advice.

candy2411
09-12-2014, 21:29
With the greatest of respect the o/p and partner will have little to worry about, Inheritance Tax et al, once they have met their maker! Paying rent out for 25 years and having nothing to show for it, not good advice.

Fully appreciate your point of view T/L but this has been a buyers market for a long time now and any seller wanting to liquidate their asset will have had a tough time and probably a big reduction in price. I personally have no complaint as I purchased at a good price a long time ago, but the fact is if I were a prospective purchaser today, I'd have to think long and hard before parting with Ģ100,000+.

bulldog
09-12-2014, 21:56
Silencio is very good value there,s not many area,s you can walk to a good beach for the money you,ll pay for an apartment there,s loads of good shops in Las Galletas
and lots of good value fish eateries good luck now,s the time to buy thats for sure.for me the Golfs have to much wind and aircraft noise

KirstyJay
10-12-2014, 00:19
there,s not many area,s you can walk to a good beach for the money you,ll pay for an apartmentYes there are... I mentioned quite a few other areas. You just have to know where to look. It's a buyer's market at present. For 100 grand you can get a decent 2 bed in most nice resorts that are no Las Americas or Los Cristianos... and personally I find anywhere out of the main resorts has a nicer feel.
imablue lives out of the way, but on the main bus routes. Ask him about his village and what prices are like in the area. I bet you'd get a house for 100 grand. ;) :D

Andy0210
10-12-2014, 01:23
Itīs ok, good local ex pat community, everyone clubs together and as a town they do a lot to raise money for charity just be very careful walking the streets at night as a lot of crime and muggings after dark.

P Quinn
10-12-2014, 19:15
Okay, don't like the sound of that, crime and muggings.

Susief
10-12-2014, 19:43
Okay, don't like the sound of that, crime and muggings.

Everywhere has crimes and muggings and Silencio is no different to anywhere. You don't go out on waste ground or unlit streets and only carry small amounts of cash and don't go out decked in jewellery.
It's just common sense really.

KirstyJay
11-12-2014, 01:58
Everywhere has crimes and muggings and Silencio is no different to anywhere. You don't go out on waste ground or unlit streets and only carry small amounts of cash and don't go out decked in jewellery.

We don't get muggings up where I am. I'd still feel safe leaving my door open and I can't remember the last time I heard of anyone getting mugged or robbed.

Andy0210
11-12-2014, 02:38

Silencio is worst than most places, trust me if you go out late at night on your own there is a good chance you will be mugged, when I came here I was told that it was known as little Liverpool.

Angusjim
11-12-2014, 07:43
Silencio is worst than most places, trust me if you go out late at night on your own there is a good chance you will be mugged, when I came here I was told that it was known as little Liverpool.

Calm down calm down:laugh:

Tony the Welder
11-12-2014, 08:26
yes there is crime in costa del silencio but it is on par with every where else ,in them there hills , pick pockets and muggers have no easy picking so tend to stay away, and la, lc and cdl are targeted , but breakings do tend to be on the out skirts of the resorts but to be honest I feel a lot safer in Tenerife than any where else including England

candy2411
11-12-2014, 11:11

That may have been true 15 years ago but come on, get real! I feel safer in Silencio than in any part of Americas or UK for that matter. There are literally dozens of pensioners, swallows that return to Silencio year after year some for maybe 2-3 months at a time. Do you really think they'd return if your statement were true !

Yes the island has its undesirables as does everywhere.
The message is the same for everyone wherever you are....if you're on your own , out late and a bit drunk then you're an easy target.

primrose
11-12-2014, 13:03
So all the posts put on here about how many people have had their purses stolen in the bus queues at Silencio aren't true????

candy2411
11-12-2014, 14:29
So all the posts put on here about how many people have had their purses stolen in the bus queues at Silencio aren't true????

I'm sure people at the bus queues in Silencio have had purses stolen Primrose, but that happens unfortunately at bus queues everywhere in the world and certainly in other parts of Tenerife, the Los Cristianos bus area being a real crime black spot.

I would say for every 1 person had a purse or wallet stolen in Silencio there's probably another 40-50 in other areas . I was in Lidl , Las Chafiras just a week or so ago and the lady in the queue at the cash point in front of me opened her bag to find it had been dipped. We read on this forum recently another person had her bag stolen from the cafeteria part of Iceland also. Do these occurrences stop people shopping there??? I think not .:)

primrose
11-12-2014, 14:45
Well after reading your post I am sure the OP is probably reconsidering ever setting foot on Tenerife. They asked what people's opinions were on Costa del Silencio, and enough has been posted on this Forum about pick pockets at bus stops and people getting mugged near Ten Bel and other areas. You just can't brush it under the carpet, it is happening and yes it is happening all over the South but that wasn't what the OP asked. It is so childish just like my Dad is bigger than your Dad, if anybody mentions an area and somebody says yes there is crime, somebody always has to come back with yes but there is crime in Los Cristianos, etc, etc and then if that's not enough they then start about England is worse than Tenerife.Why people can't give a straight answer I just don't know.

candy2411
11-12-2014, 15:35
I had to comment on what I considered unfair comments on Silencio and I did give a straight answer just as you did.

Susief
11-12-2014, 18:00
Well after reading your post I am sure the OP is probably reconsidering ever setting foot on Tenerife. They asked what people's opinions were on Costa del Silencio, and enough has been posted on this Forum about pick pockets at bus stops and people getting mugged near Ten Bel and other areas. You just can't brush it under the carpet, it is happening and yes it is happening all over the South but that wasn't what the OP asked. It is so childish just like my Dad is bigger than your Dad, if anybody mentions an area and somebody says yes there is crime, somebody always has to come back with yes but there is crime in Los Cristianos, etc, etc and then if that's not enough they then start about England is worse than Tenerife.Why people can't give a straight answer I just don't know.

There is nowhere in the world I would walk late at night either with my hubby or on my own.
I love Silencio and spend a lot of time there.
As I said previously Silencio is no worse than anywhere else, whether it be in Tenerife or UK. I would say the OP needs to try the different areas.

P Quinn
11-12-2014, 19:10
I'm really pleased that plenty are chipping in with their experiences and perceptions...............it's all part of the research, which will assist in reaching an informed final decision. Thanks again folks.

Susief
11-12-2014, 19:22
I'm really pleased that plenty are chipping in with their experiences and perceptions...............it's all part of the research, which will assist in reaching an informed final decision. Thanks again folks.

I'd say you need to experience all the different areas, maybe rent to get an idea. Some places you'll either love or hate. We can't all like the same.
Good luck with your research.

Andy0210
11-12-2014, 21:59
Itīs ok, good local ex pat community, everyone clubs together and as a town they do a lot to raise money for charity just be very careful walking the streets at night as a lot of crime and muggings after dark.

Oh well maybe my friend thats been mugged twice, Tony that used to own the Gateway mugged six times and beaten and the bloke that was murdered for a mobile phone all imagined it then.

And in fairness i didnīt say it was a bad place I actually said a lot of good things about it, just that you should be careful at night as the crime rate is higher than most areas.

But at least you all got to have a good grumble to help pass your day on. :bootyshake:

Susief
12-12-2014, 07:43
Oh well maybe my friend thats been mugged twice, Tony that used to own the Gateway mugged six times and beaten and the bloke that was murdered for a mobile phone all imagined it then.

And in fairness i didnīt say it was a bad place I actually said a lot of good things about it, just that you should be careful at night as the crime rate is higher than most areas.

But at least you all got to have a good grumble to help pass your day on. :bootyshake:

What a lovely picture you paint!

KirstyJay
14-12-2014, 22:45

What is your price range? There are many areas you could probably buy in, so if you give a roundabout figure maybe members could suggest other places so you can make an informed decision. There are loads of bargains to be had on the property market at the moment.

Here's one in Torviscas on a decent rentable complex for under 100,000€ http://www.expediatenerifeproperty.com/product_details_1140.htm

Also take a look at some of the bank reposessions : http://www.expediatenerifeproperty.com/propertysearch.cgi?sb=13&so=ascend&re=true&Area=*&Category=Bank_Repossession&PriceSearchRange=0to150k&No_Bedrooms=*&view_products=SEARCH

This one in Los Abrigos is on the market for a mere 44,100€ - http://www.expediatenerifeproperty.com/product_details_1162.htm

I'm still on some of the mailing lists :D

P Quinn
15-12-2014, 04:07
Thanks KirstyJay......during my research, I hadn't considered bank repossessions. Some appear to be extremely reasonable in price, however my instinct to such is caution, as I suspect there must be some degree of chance taking, or potential pit falls. Am I being over sceptical?

delderek
15-12-2014, 12:01
Have a look at these sites.

http://www.idealista.com/en/

or

http://www.fotocasa.es/

imablue
16-12-2014, 22:27
Do your research, but most definitely spend some time here in a rented apartment, everything depends on what you plan to do ..
We are all different in what suits us ,where we live is spot on as far as we are concerned,we looked at properties from Los Abrigos near (ish) to the airport to Los Gigantes in the Far West..!
Away from the coastal areas we went to Valle San Lorenzo to Guia de Isora ..didn,t dare venture any further towards Chio ..though :wink:
We have lived where we are in Tijoco Bajo now for 10 years,as Kirstyjay says we are on a regular bus route into Las Americas / Los Cristianos ..but we have a necessary car...
Good Luck on your search ...Feel free to talk at any time ...

P Quinn
17-12-2014, 13:43
Thanks, imablue. One of the key aspects of my final decision, will be the appeal and frequency with which the apartment can be rented out, during the "6/7 summer months". Is this likely to be seriously determined on the area in which it is situated (am aware of the current regulations to letting out such property). Thanks.

Stoney
18-12-2014, 00:29
Without any doubt the best option is to rent before you buy. We rented 3 different places before we found the area we really liked. Some people thought we had wasted some of our money renting, but if you buy a place and end up not being happy after a month or two, you will waste a lot more trying to sell the property.

imablue
18-12-2014, 16:56
Thanks, imablue. One of the key aspects of my final decision, will be the appeal and frequency with which the apartment can be rented out, during the "6/7 summer months". Is this likely to be seriously determined on the area in which it is situated (am aware of the current regulations to letting out such property). Thanks.

I would say most definitely the area would be, for me, a main point in choosing where i would like to stay,holiday wise.
Touristic lets would be more favourable in the "Resorts"for the majority of people i would think.

KirstyJay
21-12-2014, 14:10
Thanks KirstyJay......during my research, I hadn't considered bank repossessions. Some appear to be extremely reasonable in price, however my instinct to such is caution, as I suspect there must be some degree of chance taking, or potential pit falls. Am I being over sceptical?

I think you are being over sceptical. You can go and visit many of the bank properties. I would even offer less than they're asking too, as banks just want some money back. They're not usually too bothered how much.

The only thing I'd suggest is making sure you have a good, Spanish, registered independent solicitor to handle any paperwork for you because if the property has an outstanding mortgage it has to be removed before you sign, otherwise you would owe the debt. A Spanish registered abogado will know the law here better. They will have a 'número colegiado'. If necessary, get a translator, but I would prefer a native Spanish abogado to deal with Spanish law any day. It just makes sense.

My mum's just bought a place in Playa San Juan and the solicitor that was recommended to me in Chio has been brilliant. She only allowed us to put down about 3% instead of the usual 10% because there is an existing mortgage. So basically the deposit is the difference between the asking price and the debt, so even if the debt was left on the escritura, we would not end up paying for it. Very professional and looking out for our interests. She's gone above and beyond what was initially asked of her.

imablue
21-12-2014, 22:01
Superb advice and PQ. you will do well to take note ...

Angusjim
30-12-2016, 11:28
A golden oldie thread !!
I have never actually been to Costa Silencio is this a good option for living the swallow life and is the crime problems any better now than previously reported it seemed to be bad