PDA

View Full Version : Other Guachinches in Puerto de la Cruz

polremy
15-12-2014, 18:15
Well, my post seemed to disappear so here goes again. Apologies if it appears twice!
We are off to Puerto on Thursday to spend a couple of nights in the Monopol.
We would love to eat somewhere like Casa Juana which Canarybird and Megaloo have sampled but it is too far out of town.
Is there anywhere similar that we could reach on foot? We'd much rather have small sharing dishes and local wine by the half litre than great big platefuls and fine dining.
Hope someone out there can direct us to somewhere suitable. Have googled tapas bars and have a few names but personal recommendation is always best.

canarybird
15-12-2014, 19:48
Guachinches are by nature simple dining establishments which were originally set up to sell homemade wine and a little food in winegrowing areas, so to visit a guachinche you have to go further up and out of the town center.

However there are many tapas bars downtown in Puerto where you can have small sharing dishes in a similar manner. It's one of my favourite ways to dine out.

I'll let someone else come and recommend tapas bars down in Puerto near the Monopol as I usually go out of Puerto by car to the places I like. Good luck.

cressrt
15-12-2014, 19:56
Go down to the Fisherman’s Quarter, it s full of lovely restaurants, Los Tulipanas to name but one, we have been to a few of them around there and not been disappointed by any of them.

melm
15-12-2014, 20:26
A few minutes walk from the Monopol is Arcon Tapas Restaurant it gets great reviews on the Trip advisor site.

polremy
16-12-2014, 17:43
Thanks to all of you.
Can't wait for our little holiday.
Will let you know where we eat and what we think of it.

polremy
22-12-2014, 18:05
Well, we went, had a lovely time and now we're back on the GDS.
Thursday we arrived before our room at the Monopol was ready so wandered off as you do and had a tapas at El Tapeo in Calle Esquivel. Very enjoyable revuelto con huevos y chorizo con papas Freitas. All mixed together which was new on us. Excellent Ribero del Duero for OH and equally excellent Duena White for me.
Intended to go off searching for tapas bars for our evening meal but it did turn rather chilly and we were a bit weary so.... OH went to have a peek in the hotel's restaurant and decided their buffet evening meal looked good. And it was good. Me and OH have decidedly different tastes when it comes to food and the buffet pleased both of us. Scrummy soup (both of us), lashings of salad stuff with anchovies (me), enormous chunks of fish without a single bone (for him), very succulent chicken quarters with mounds of carrots, spaghetti bologneise. Now I write it down it sounds bland and not the sort of thing you should be doing in Puerto but it really hit the spot. There were several choices for dessert. I had a very large bowl of mango/papaya which I love. OH was so full that he couldn't manage anything (well he did go back for fish and chicken refills). Cost was 13€ each and a good bottle of rioja crianza was 11€.
We'll have to go back in February for our anniversary and do the tapas thing then.
By the way, we were very pleased with the Monopl. We had a room at the front, directly in front of the church. Thankfully, the clock now stops chiming around 11pm and only restarts at 7 the next day.
OH refuses to wear a watch and annoys me continually by asking me for the time. I was able to direct him to the clock tower for a couple of days.
PS. A place to avoid - the Finnish restaurant really close to El Tapeo.
OH was finishing off on the iPad at the hotspot 100 metres away. I was desperate for a wee so went into said Finn place.
We had intended having a coffee there. When I emerged relieved from their downstairs toilet I was accosted by a very grumpy waiter who growled at me that the toilets were only for customers. I assured him that my husband was just coming but it wasn't a pleasant experience. And.... Sorry mate......I walked off and he lost my custom for life.

Javier B
23-12-2014, 11:25
There is an application for Android on Play Store called " GUACHAPP " and guachinches of the island appear .

canarybird
23-12-2014, 13:09
polremy...

Good to hear you enjoyed your stay at the Monopol Hotel. It's right in the center of the downtown area so it's often recommended as a place to stay for those who want to walk everywhere without need for a car.

The egg, chips and chorizo scramble you had at El Tapeo is one of my favourite local dishes ..called Huevos al Estampido, or sometimes called Huevos Rotos (broken eggs) and it's served in many tapas bars and guachinches here. This is what it looks like for those who haven't yet tried it:

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Other/Canary-Island-Recipes/i-ttpMM5T/0/L/P1220023-L.jpg

PS A dish like this is often put in the center of the table and shared between two or three people as a starter or second course before a meat dish.

polremy
24-12-2014, 17:37
Yes, Canarybird, it looked exactly like that.

haddrt
29-06-2015, 12:01
Guachinches in Puerto de la Cruz is most famous hotel of North Tenerif. Guachinches is my favorite hotel because of their best services then other hotels. All kind of fish dishes are available there. They gives low price and tasty food then other hotels.

Megaloo
29-06-2015, 13:21
Guachinches in Puerto de la Cruz is most famous hotel of North Tenerif. Guachinches is my favorite hotel because of their best services then other hotels. All kind of fish dishes are available there. They gives low price and tasty food then other hotels.

Where is that situated please in Puerto de la Cruz

Malteser Monkey
29-06-2015, 13:29
Where is that situated please in Puerto de la Cruz

He seems to be waffling a bit mate - on another thread said he visited the Siam Malls last yearrolleyes2:

canarybird
29-06-2015, 13:58

Definitely seems to be pulling our leg.

If he knew what he was talking about he would know that a guachinche was a type of restaurant, not a hotel.

And certainly not the name of a famous hotel in Puerto de la Cruz. :lol:

Malteser Monkey
29-06-2015, 14:03

Definitely seems to be pulling our leg.

If he knew what he was talking about he would know that a guachinche was a type of restaurant, not a hotel.

And certainly not the name of a famous hotel in Puerto de la Cruz. :lol:

There we go all cleared up thanks CB

Are we well up there in the north - I haven't seen any weather piccies from you recently :D

Megaloo
29-06-2015, 14:05
He seems to be waffling a bit mate - on another thread said he visited the Siam Malls last yearrolleyes2:

Thanks Hun

canarybird
30-06-2015, 00:10
Yes MM all is well up here in the north. A little cooler than down south and today we had a nice breeze all day to go along with the high temperatures. Will take some more pics soon. :)