PDA

View Full Version : I desperately need a hire car from 30th December to 3rd January 2015 from the airport

dixie4
18-12-2014, 07:50
The main car rental companies are telling me that they have no cars for the time period Dec 30 to Jan 3rd.

I am needing a car to rent, beg or borrow for four days from the airport and return to the airport, late afternoon flights. I arrive about 6pm on December 30th and need the car until 4pm on the 3rd January.

I am 63, tee total, a steady and experienced driver. Have driven 1000s of miles on Mainland and Tenerife.
Do not expect much mileage over the four days I just need the convenience of transport.

Cash waiting

Please PM me if you have a car available or know someone who has.

Give it some thought, easy money for someone.

kingbaker
18-12-2014, 09:28
Absolutely daft idea.

dixie4
18-12-2014, 09:39
Why is it a daft idea?

kingbaker
18-12-2014, 10:22
How old are you dixie4?
You dont understand car insurance???:confused:

Ecky Thump
18-12-2014, 10:44
Short term insurance for a friend as a named driver might be available at a price, but what Dixie is asking for is basically a informal car hire, which I would have thought to be able to find insurance for would cost a fortune or maybe not even available.
But "Good Luck"

dixie4
18-12-2014, 10:52
As you think you are so knowledgable perhaps you could enlighten me.

I do understand that Spanish car insurance is different to UK.

kingbaker
18-12-2014, 10:53
Insurance for a 'friend' in these circumstances would be FRAUD. Where I'm from the car can be confiscated for being uninsured and the idiots could be jailed for the fraud......never mind if there was an accident where an innocent victim was injured.

In short if you can't get a car then get a bus or taxi.
Enjoy yer holiday.

Ecky Thump
18-12-2014, 10:58
As you think you are so knowledgable perhaps you could enlighten me.

I do understand that Spanish car insurance is different to UK.

As Kingbaker has said is that what you are asking for is to hire a car from a private individual and that would almost certainly be classed as fraud.

Have you tried AutoReison car hire?

dixie4
18-12-2014, 11:14
Insurance for a 'friend' in these circumstances would be FRAUD. Where I'm from the car can be confiscated for being uninsured and the idiots could be jailed for the fraud......never mind if there was an accident where an innocent victim was injured.

In short if you can't get a car then get a bus or taxi.
Enjoy yer holiday.

You seem to be getting your knickers in a twist about something. Perhaps you just got out of bed the wrong side.

I am not interested your opinions I am simply asking in my listing for the possibilty of transport for four days.

OK it may not be possibility.

When I had my own car on the Island. The car was insured for ANY driver over the age of 25. This was the choice of the Insurer I had no influence in the matter. So where is the fraud in that?

By the way, don't make assumptions I am not coming to the Island for a holiday I have a death to sort out.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

As Kingbaker has said is that what you are asking for is to hire a car from a private individual and that would almost certainly be classed as fraud.

Have you tried AutoReison car hire?

As per my reply to kingbaker it is not fraud to loan a car to a 'friend' if the car is insured for any driver.

Yes I have tried Autoreisen, my first choice, and about 20 others. none have a vehicle for the dates I require.

My request thread was made hoping someone could come up with a smaller rental company or a garage with a courtesy car.

Ecky Thump
18-12-2014, 11:40
As per my reply to kingbaker it is not fraud to loan a car to a 'friend' if the car is insured for any driver.

Yes I have tried Autoreisen, my first choice, and about 20 others. none have a vehicle for the dates I require.

My request thread was made hoping someone could come up with a smaller rental company or a garage with a courtesy car.

I hope you get some Good luck finding a company at this time of year.

You did make a open post asking if anyone could rent/loan you a car and that there was "easy money For someone", which is why both kingbaker and myself came to the conclusion that you wanted to hire a car from a private individual, if you want one from a "friend" then maybe a private message to them would stop the confusion......

But again "Good Luck"

Another suggestion is that you try forum member Ashro Autos who runs a Tenerife business.

dixie4
18-12-2014, 12:13
Admittedly I did make a very open post as I am open to any solution to my problem which is becoming desparate.

I emailed Ashro last week but did not receive a reply.

I have received a lead for a hire company I have never heard of so I shall see what transpires.

imablue
18-12-2014, 12:37
No cars available in Ashros...They do advise people if they are wanting a car around Xmas/New Year to get it booked in August !!

Jabba43
18-12-2014, 18:11
http://www.trc-cars.com/ these guys are great. Always use them, do not cheat and have great customer service,

dixie4
19-12-2014, 03:27
[QUOTE=They do advise people if they are wanting a car around Xmas/New Year to get it booked in August !![/QUOTE]

Pretty much the same as booking a doctors appointment in UK then.

Problem now solved.

Car Hire arranged, (for the benefit of kingbaker, legally).

Finally found a company with a car for my dates.

Thanks to all who supplied info.

Ecky Thump
19-12-2014, 09:25
Pretty much the same as booking a doctors appointment in UK then.

Problem now solved.

Car Hire arranged, (for the benefit of kingbaker, legally).

Finally found a company with a car for my dates.

Thanks to all who supplied info.

It could be helpful if you put who came to your rescue at short notice and then other forum members will know who to try for future car hire bookings.:idea:

norte
19-12-2014, 11:02
"Insurance for a 'friend' in these circumstances would be FRAUD" LOL :d

dixie4
28-12-2014, 11:07
It could be helpful if you put who came to your rescue at short notice and then other forum members will know who to try for future car hire bookings.:idea:

I take your point about who came to the rescue.
The company has some bad reviews but I was desparate.
They have charged me 195€ for four days on a small Fiat. Pure extortion but it is the time of the year
Pluscar is the company.
Pray there is no queue at the car park pick up point.
I understand that this is the main cause for complaint if you have Germans in front of you. Apparently they are very demanding and a simple car collection takes for ever.

I will report back as per their performance.
I have a lot to sort out in the four days up North so it will be later.

Thanks for the reminder from Ecky

"Insurance for a 'friend' in these circumstances would be FRAUD" LOL :d

Sorry, you are talking rubbish and I sincerely wish you wouldn't.

As stated in an earlier part of this thread, when I owned a car on the Island Linea Directa insured the car for any driver and I had no say in the matter. I was told by them that is is the way thoughout Spain.
I did not have to supply names of drivers or even contact them. All I had to do was ensure the driver was over 25 and that they had a valid driving license.
Anyone fulfilling the criterior could drive my car. Unless this has changed in the last three years that is how it is.

Ecky Thump
28-12-2014, 12:37
They have charged me 195€ for four days on a small Fiat. Pure extortion but it is the time of the year
Pluscar is the company.
I understand that this is the main cause for complaint if you have Germans in front of you. Apparently they are very demanding and a simple car collection takes for ever.

is.

Good luck with our Germanic friends!:laugh:

Susief
28-12-2014, 12:39
Pluscar is the company.

Sorry, you are talking rubbish and I sincerely wish you wouldn't.

As stated in an earlier part of this thread, when I owned a car on the Island Linea Directa insured the car for any driver and I had no say in the matter. I was told by them that is is the way thoughout Spain.
I did not have to supply names of drivers or even contact them. All I had to do was ensure the driver was over 25 and that they had a valid driving license.
Anyone fulfilling the criterior could drive my car. Unless this has changed in the last three years that is how it is.

Hope there's no fuel charge on that? Most charge for full tank. (Autoreisen don't, it's like for like)

Ecky Thump
28-12-2014, 13:33
Hope there's no fuel charge on that? Most charge for full tank. (Autoreisen don't, it's like for like)

I think Dixie is prepared to be ripped off, he had tried to use Autoreisen, but they have no available cars....plenty of petrol though!:laugh:

Susief
28-12-2014, 20:00
I think Dixie is prepared to be ripped off, he had tried to use Autoreisen, but they have no available cars....plenty of petrol though!:laugh:

It looks like it, we never pay more than 10e a day for our cars. Only been stung once by Hertz, never again.
Surely it would have been cheaper hiring a taxi/driver?

norte
29-12-2014, 09:53
dixie 4 sorry mate you didnt understand it -it was not my words that if you borrow a car from friend its fraud -someone else posted this sentence in this thread and i laughing from this assumption loud:D i borrow car from my friend all the time no problem..really hate insurance companies especially from england, they make billions of profits and yet brainwashing people in england that they operate almost at a loss so they need to put up more already insanely high insurance premiums , real crooks.

KirstyJay
29-12-2014, 12:39
dixie4 if you need any help with the paperwork for the death, just post. I've had 4 friends pass away over the past month, so have heard some of the issues you can come across.

barryk
29-12-2014, 14:24
Hi,

Have used Pluscar on a couple of occasions and have been ok.

Just watch the people with the card machine if you want to pay in Euros. Last time they automatically put the payment through in GBP, gave me a slip saying I had agreed to this, and then mysteriously did not know how to void the transaction, then generously offered to take the full payment again in euros and refund my GBP payment within 20-30 days.

barryk

Try Autoreisen again

Final price: €158.29 (Aprox. £123.66) for a Renaut Twingo, they dont have many so you will usually get an upgrade

dixie4
04-01-2015, 10:24
dixie 4 sorry mate you didnt understand it -it was not my words that if you borrow a car from friend its fraud -someone else posted this sentence in this thread and i laughing from this assumption loud:D i borrow car from my friend all the time no problem..really hate insurance companies especially from england, they make billions of profits and yet brainwashing people in england that they operate almost at a loss so they need to put up more already insanely high insurance premiums , real crooks.

My apologies Norte I misread your quote. I am right about the any driver rule.

As promised I am here to report on my PlusCar experience

In a word perfect.

New car.

20mins processing time.

Fuel rules same as Autoreisen (No fuel rip off).

Only one German in front of me in the queue who was creating as expected. The PlusCar rep wonderfully sidelined him and dealt with me promptly.

Could not have been better apart from the price.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and advice. That is what Forums on any subject are all about.

KirstyJay
04-01-2015, 13:11
My apologies Norte I misread your quote. I am right about the any driver rule.

As promised I am here to report on my PlusCar experience

In a word perfect.

New car.

20mins processing time.

Fuel rules same as Autoreisen (No fuel rip off).

Only one German in front of me in the queue who was creating as expected. The PlusCar rep wonderfully sidelined him and dealt with me promptly.

Could not have been better apart from the price.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and advice. That is what Forums on any subject are all about.

Great to hear you had a good experience :)