PDA

View Full Version : I'm having problems downloading on an old machine running Windows XP

Unicorn
20-12-2014, 07:53
I am still using an old XP PC and have Google Chrome installed. I am very disappointed with it as it will not let me download anything. There is always a message "insufficient permission" or occasionally "system busy"

I have tried installing Firefox and Opera and it won't even let me do that !

Help please !!

TOTO 99
20-12-2014, 08:41
I am still using an old XP PC and have Google Chrome installed. I am very disappointed with it as it will not let me download anything. There is always a message "insufficient permission" or occasionally "system busy"

I have tried installing Firefox and Opera and it won't even let me do that !

Help please !!

Hi, I usually find that you can find some answers by typing the problem into Google. I typed "insufficient permission" "chrome" in and a number of pages came up.

If I had more time I'd trawl through them for you but I can't I'm afraid..

Have a look through here..http://forums.techguy.org/web-email/1118522-google-chrome-wont-let-me.html

Also look for a site called Majorgeeks and search on there. And another I think is called Geeks2go.

It might take a bit of trawling but it's usually worth it.

Good luck with it....:tiphat:

Addick
20-12-2014, 15:01
Do you have other User Accounts set up on your PC that might've changed your settings? Not sure with Chrome as I don't use it much but do you have a 'Run as Administrator' option that needs to be ticked? Or if it's only started happening recently maybe an update changed some settings - can you roll back to a previous save point?

Angusjim
20-12-2014, 15:03
Do you have other User Accounts set up on your PC that might've changed your settings? Not sure with Chrome as I don't use it much but do you have a 'Run as Administrator' option that needs to be ticked? Or if it's only started happening recently maybe an update changed some settings - can you roll back to a previous save point?

I was just about to say that:whistle::shy:

BobMac
20-12-2014, 15:29
Have you run a full virus scan?

A friend had a problem like this recently with an XP box and it turned out to be a malware application.

Unicorn
26-12-2014, 17:22

I have tried System Restore on a few different dates and none of them work. How do I access the Run as Administrator option ?

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Have you run a full virus scan?

A friend had a problem like this recently with an XP box and it turned out to be a malware application.

Yes, I have done a full virus scan and it took off a couple of things, but still the same problem.

Addick
26-12-2014, 19:48
I have tried System Restore on a few different dates and none of them work. How do I access the Run as Administrator option ?

as Stewartk says, or if you have an avatar/logo on the top-right side when you click Start button (above where it lists your Documents, Pictures, Music etc) then click that and it'll show your own account and if you are admin.

Another possible reason could be if you have an antivirus/firewall type thing that is conflicting with Chrome. What one do you have? Simple way to check if this is the reason is to turn off McAfee, Norton or whatever one you may have and try downloading something.

I guess the most basic reason for not being able to download anything would be if your PC is full. Have you got space on C:\ drive?