PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone inform me about the Caxton FX currency card?

tfs1
21-12-2014, 18:09
I have tried to see where the discussion on currency cards is - cant find it so I thought I would ask - Caxton FX is the one I am looking at and if anyone thinks they area good idea.

If I have missed the thread please point me in the right direction !

If I havent missed it anyone thoughts on this as our eldest grandson needs some Euros for a college trip to Germany and rather than him lose all the Euros we are going to give him thought this maybe more secure way, of course he could still lose the Euros when he withdraws them from the ATM !

I'm not interested in paying fees to take money out of overseas ATMS.

Ecky Thump
21-12-2014, 18:52
I've had a CaxtonFx debit card for quite a few years and have never incurred any charges at ATM's or had any problems. I find it a advantage that I can load the card at any time and in any amounts to suit my bank balance. You get daily email money reports from them, so you can follow exchange rates on a daily basis and load the card directly from your bank account when you think the rate is good. Also the card is Visa backed and accepted at most retailers, restaurants, hotels etc.

Tshirt
22-12-2014, 11:28
I concur with Ecky's comments, we've had Caxton cards for about 5 years now, used them in Tenerife, Portugal and Malta, never incurred any charges whatsoever. Easy to manage online, always get a good rate of exchange, certainly comparable or better than the exchange shops. You can get a secondary for your partner and should you lose one or have it stolen like I did you can still use the other card to access your money until your replacement card arrives. Saves carrying a load of cash about, we never use anything else. Highly recommended IMO.

Ecky Thump
22-12-2014, 11:45
I concur with Ecky's comments, we've had Caxton cards for about 5 years now, used them in Tenerife, Portugal and Malta, never incurred any charges whatsoever. Easy to manage online, always get a good rate of exchange, certainly comparable or better than the exchange shops. You can get a secondary for your partner and should you lose one or have it stolen like I did you can still use the other card to access your money until your replacement card arrives. Saves carrying a load of cash about, we never use anything else. Highly recommended IMO.

I should have added that Caxton also have a USA Dollar Card as well as the Euro Card.

I omitted mentioning the second card as I viewed it as a disadvantage ....letting my wife have access to my money!!:crylaughing:

Susief
22-12-2014, 12:02

We have a Fair FX card and that is great to use and load up. When we went to NZ and Singapore earlier in the year we got one that could be used worldwide.

Tshirt
22-12-2014, 13:41
I believe next year Caxton are going to combine their 3 cards into one and you can easily switch between the currency required. I had email from them a couple of weeks ago about it with the offer of pre ordering one. I normally only use it for euros so I'll wait and see

tfs1
22-12-2014, 20:24
Many thanks for taking time to reply and give your thoughts, as its for Euro transactions only I will be applying for the Caxton FX Euro currency card.

blimey, the application was so quick and easy

tfs1
31-12-2014, 15:24
Caxton card received this morning, The online account setup, activating the card, getting the PIN and loading money all done, it was quick, simple and easy.

Ecky Thump
31-12-2014, 15:48
Caxton card received this morning, The online account setup, activating the card, getting the PIN and loading money all done, it was quick, simple and easy.

And even easier to spend the euros!!:laugh:

Once the New Year celebrations are over, you will get daily emails from them that enables you to watch the £ Vs € and you can then hopefully pick the right time to load your card.

tfs1
31-12-2014, 17:22

Once the New Year celebrations are over, you will get daily emails from them that enables you to watch the £ Vs € and you can then hopefully pick the right time to load your card.

Not too long before we have the chance to 'give it a go' !

Malteser Monkey
31-12-2014, 17:25

I have never seen you post so many lies in one thread:crylaughing:

Ecky Thump
31-12-2014, 17:43
I have never seen you post so many lies in one thread:crylaughing:

I know, I should have said....."it pains me to spend the euros!!":cry:

tfs1
07-01-2015, 23:38
I've had a CaxtonFx debit card for quite a few years and have never incurred any charges at ATM's or had any problems. I find it a advantage that I can load the card at any time and in any amounts to suit my bank balance. You get daily email money reports from them, so you can follow exchange rates on a daily basis and load the card directly from your bank account when you think the rate is good. Also the card is Visa backed and accepted at most retailers, restaurants, hotels etc.

So far no daily emails to confuse me about whats going on - happy to look at informed posts on this site and balance that with those on the ground advising local exchange rates.

Ecky Thump
07-01-2015, 23:56
So far no daily emails to confuse me about whats going on - happy to look at informed posts on this site and balance that with those on the ground advising local exchange rates.

Have you downloaded the Caxton App yet, it's a handy one to have on your mobile phone, it's password protected and you can see your debit card Balance - History - Exchange Rate and if you want to, you can top your card up in seconds......presuming your wife hasn't emptied your Bank Account!!:lol:

tfs1
08-01-2015, 09:56
Have you downloaded the Caxton App yet, it's a handy one to have on your mobile phone, it's password protected and you can see your debit card Balance - History - Exchange Rate and if you want to, you can top your card up in seconds......presuming your wife hasn't emptied your Bank Account!!:lol:

ET - thanks for that, no I havent got it yet but will sort that out today. Wife under control it's our 5 grandchildren we seem to be 'helping' on a regular basis !

update: app loaded and working, thanks again.

Ecky Thump
08-01-2015, 13:03
ET - thanks for that, no I havent got it yet but will sort that out today. Wife under control it's our 5 grandchildren we seem to be 'helping' on a regular basis !

update: app loaded and working, thanks again.

Once you have the Grandchildren under control with their spending with a Caxton Card - the next step follows - they return from university with a "babe in arms" and then they need a new car, so the story goes on and on......
....as Grandparents is there no end to our financial responsibilities!!:D

Ecky Thump
21-02-2015, 11:35
Yeah this bank services are very awesome. I have also a Debit card of this Caxton bank and their is no extra tax on taking money from ATM and an easy way to open account with less tenders.

That's good news, another follower of Caxton, all we need to know now is, has martincrabb99 joined this happy group or are all his euros tucked away in a Swiss Bank account!:cheeky:

martincrabb99
21-02-2015, 15:24
That's good news, another follower of Caxton, all we need to know now is, has martincrabb99 joined this happy group or are all his euros tucked away in a Swiss Bank account!:cheeky:

You won't believe this.....I still haven't got around to it but I will let you know when I get my card and load it with the best exchange rate ever! As a matter of interest what was the best rate in the history of exchanging pounds to Euros?

fixer
21-02-2015, 16:41
In 2001 I got 1.60 don't know if it was any higher than that.

TOTO 99
21-02-2015, 17:02
In 2001 I got 1.60 don't know if it was any higher than that.

And being a Scot you've probably still got most of that....:laugh:

fixer
21-02-2015, 21:39
Naw spent it on a 330bmw from Holland but did save £5000.

warbey
22-02-2015, 21:14

Bump...............

tfs1
30-06-2015, 10:45
Just locked myself out of my online caxton account - one of those senior moments. As requested I have sent an email to them to unlock the account.

Just received a reply saying We hope to be able to issue a response to you within 7 working days, we are currently experiencing a high volume of correspondence and may take longer to respond

Luckily my problem isnt really urgent as we emptied the account yesterday.

To Caxtons credit I have just received another email, 7 minutes after me reporting the fault, telling me my account has been unlocked - excellant service !

information
30-06-2015, 10:51
Just locked myself out of my online caxton account - one of those senior moments. As requested I have sent an email to them to unlock the account.

Just received a reply saying We hope to be able to issue a response to you within 7 working days, we are currently experiencing a high volume of correspondence and may take longer to respond

all to do with Greece. I can see people going there having major problems if something goes wrong whislt over there. How safe is carrying all your family holiday money in casheek2: Seems pointless with a card as the queues are long and the machines will run out. Many places there now will only take cash as payment. What a mess.

Carol55
30-06-2015, 11:30

To Caxtons credit I have just received another email, 7 minutes after me reporting the fault, telling me my account has been unlocked - excellant service !

We did the same thing and locked ourselves out of our account by using the wrong security code (well Ecky did;) ) and I phoned Caxton, after a couple of security questions, they unlocked it immediately so yes a company that offers a great service.

Tshirt
30-06-2015, 12:08
I believe tourists in Greece are allowed to draw more cash from an ATM than the locals. That's if there's any money left in the machine when you find one that works.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3143863/Hand-money-desperate-Greeks-beg-banks-Tourists-withdraw-cash-ATMs-country-s-citizens-Athens-hits-1-1billion-loan-deadline.html

information
30-06-2015, 12:47
I believe tourists in Greece are allowed to draw more cash from an ATM than the locals. That's if there's any money left in the machine when you find one that works.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3143863/Hand-money-desperate-Greeks-beg-banks-Tourists-withdraw-cash-ATMs-country-s-citizens-Athens-hits-1-1billion-loan-deadline.html

Aye but as you say, if there is any money left. Also some queues are over 4 hours and many times the cash runs out before the queue. Not how i would like to spend my holiday.

TOTO 99
30-06-2015, 13:21
Aye but as you say, if there is any money left. Also some queues are over 4 hours and many times the cash runs out before the queue. Not how i would like to spend my holiday.

I also wouldn't fancy being stood at said machine drawing out a few hundred with a line of angry Greeks behind me!...:smack:

Tshirt
30-06-2015, 15:31
I also wouldn't fancy being stood at said machine drawing out a few hundred with a line of angry Greeks behind me!...:smack:

You could always "grease" their palm.:laugh:

TOTO 99
30-06-2015, 21:05
You could always "grease" their palm.:laugh:

Greece is the word .....:lol:

Tshirt
30-06-2015, 21:11
Greece is the word .....:lol:

Wrong thread pal [emoji3]

TOTO 99
30-06-2015, 21:13
Wrong thread pal [emoji3]

Sorry Ted, I'll start my own John Travolta thread....:lol:

Carol55
16-09-2016, 23:26

I just tried logging into my Caxton account and received a message..."For security reasons your account is locked", I then tried another Caxton login link..."Caxtonfx Limited" and logged in with no further problem. :dontknow:

From now on when I want to load my card with more holiday drinking vouchers I will just use their app, it's far simpler and apart from that, it's linked to Ecky's bank account!! :D