PDA

View Full Version : I saw an AMBER Alert for child abductions live on American telly

timmylish
23-12-2014, 03:42
This was the first occassion when I,ve heard a live Amber Alert on US tv. The voice over giving all relevant information was clearly a Police Officer trained in the art of communication on tv. At the same time as the voice over (you cannot hear the live tv) a ticker tape sort of advert also played on screen, at the top in bright red. Since this is the first time I,ve witnessed such an event live I was very taken with the manner in which this Alert was publicised. I wonder if UK/Spain have similar alerts to-day, if not they should have!

amanda
23-12-2014, 09:01
What was the alert regarding

Ecky Thump
23-12-2014, 10:26

A M B E R .........America's Missing Broadcast Emergency Response

It's a alert system for missing children.

martincrabb99
23-12-2014, 10:37

A good question it could have been weather or terrorism but we now know thanks to Ecky. Also an excellent point to raise. I would be extremely interested in the views of forum members.

TOTO 99
23-12-2014, 10:43
I thought it was an alarm that sounded when when they were running out of lager...:lol:

tfs1
23-12-2014, 11:02
There is an EU AMBER alert system that includes a number of European countries including the UK but, for some reason, does not include Spain.

kingbaker
23-12-2014, 11:17
There is an EU AMBER alert system that includes a number of European countries including the UK but, for some reason, does not include Spain.

About what tho?

seanocelt
23-12-2014, 12:02
In my time in the USA we got these for tornado warnings and storms. I see our news networks now use the term "breaking news" as they do, and in the nine years since i have left see our culture and everyday lives playing catch up with the American lifestyle. Not sure yet if its a good thing, probably not.

timmylish
23-12-2014, 19:15
In my time in the USA we got these for tornado warnings and storms. I see our news networks now use the term "breaking news" as they do, and in the nine years since i have left see our culture and everyday lives playing catch up with the American lifestyle. Not sure yet if its a good thing, probably not.

Sean, whilst I would agree with you in certain respect I do think that this sort of thing can only be good.
I am totally amazed that some on here don,t know the meaning of the 'Amber' particularly having regard to the Madeleine McCann case.

tfs1
23-12-2014, 20:40
About what tho?

If you were in the UK in 2012 you will have experienced it but maybe not know that you did.

This system was developed to quickly advise the masses through TV, radio, internet, road traffic display systems etc of child abductions that meet key criteria and pass on info through these important communication outlets, ie car reg, child description etc etc.

In the UK in 2012 they used this system to try and find April Jones.

TOTO 99
23-12-2014, 20:45
Sean, whilst I would agree with you in certain respect I do think that this sort of thing can only be good.
I am totally amazed that some on here don,t know the meaning of the 'Amber' particularly having regard to the Madeleine McCann case.

Why would you be amazed? I personally have never heard of the amber alert. I've spent 54 years in the UK, as far as I'm aware we don't have it.
If we do have it then it's not very well promoted is it?

The Madeline case was in Portugal and to be fair, if they do have it there then it didn't do any good did it?

As has been said, it's also been used for tornado warnings etc. so it's easy to see why someone in the UK might dismiss it surely?

I really wish we did have something along these lines here but I'm sure with 24hr TV, radio and endless social media it would probably be drowned out anyway.

kingbaker
23-12-2014, 20:51
I dont get that TL. M Mc C went missing in Portugal.
In the Us I thinl they used to put photos of missing kids on milk cartons...in areas where they thought they might be.

kingbaker
23-12-2014, 21:09
For the record, we had a similar alert in Ireland some time ago. A hard working Romanian family were reported to Garda (irish police) for child trafficing.....cos the family had dark hair and one child was blonde. Well they waded in with their size 12s and caused massive trauma for the family concerned.....and of course they were WRONG .....kids taken into care, split up with no explanation, parents held in custody..... separately with no assistance.
Would I trust those people with the power of an Amber type alert.
NOT ON YOUR NELLY.:confused:

martincrabb99
23-12-2014, 21:47
Why would you be amazed? I personally have never heard of the amber alert. I've spent 54 years in the UK, as far as I'm aware we don't have it.
If we do have it then it's not very well promoted is it?

The Madeline case was in Portugal and to be fair, if they do have it there then it didn't do any good did it?

As has been said, it's also been used for tornado warnings etc. so it's easy to see why someone in the UK might dismiss it surely?

I really wish we did have something along these lines here but I'm sure with 24hr TV, radio and endless social media it would probably be drowned out anyway.

I agree it certainly requires better promotion and a consistent approach throughout the UK and Ireland.

melm
23-12-2014, 21:56
A M B E R .........America's Missing Broadcast Emergency Response

It's a alert system for missing children.

Named after a little girl called Amber who went missing some years back. Every country should introduce this system...in my opinion

timmylish
24-12-2014, 18:55
Right. To clarify. As I originally pointed out this alert was on US tv the only connection I made to the UK was at the time of the Madeleine case, the 'Amber Alert' system was referred to constantly on UK tv news and even questions in the House of Commons as to why the UK did not have such a system.
Think this should bring this thread to a close.

Ecky Thump
24-12-2014, 19:47
Right. To Clarify. As I originally pointed out this alert was on US tv the only connection I made to the UK was at the time of the Madeleine case, the 'Amber Alert' system was referred to constantly on UK tv news and even questions in the House of Commons as to why the UK did not have such a system.
Think this should bring this thread to a close.

Pay attention you lot......No more discussion!!!. :raspberry:

In the a absence of 9Plus. Pftttttt

martincrabb99
24-12-2014, 20:37
Actually I think there is more than one system in the UK hence my comment about a consistent approach as opposed to many approaches

Ecky Thump
24-12-2014, 20:42
Actually I think there is more than one system in the UK hence my comment about a consistent approach as opposed to many approaches

As soon as I hear the words "Amber Alert" I always think of it as a military term.

martincrabb99
24-12-2014, 20:46
As soon as I hear the words "Amber Alert" I always think of it as a military term.

Yes it used to be utilised as a terror threat as well