PDA

View Full Version : Stay overnight in the Museum of Science and the Cosmos!

KirstyJay
26-12-2014, 22:29
I am currently at an overnight camp I n the museum of Science and the Cosmos in La Laguna for my daughter's birthday.

The kids do experiments, workshops and astronomy. It's 20€ per child and accompanying adults are free.

You could leave the kids overnight and get a night off in Santa Cruz...

Anyway, I'll report on the day tomorrow when we get home!

LUCKY
26-12-2014, 22:39
Enjoy ......................:flatcap:

Suzanne
27-12-2014, 20:32
sounds amazing, cant wait for the report.

LUCKY
27-12-2014, 21:37
I am currently at an overnight camp I n the museum of Science and the Cosmos in La Laguna for my daughter's birthday.

The kids do experiments, workshops and astronomy. It's 20€ per child and accompanying adults are free.

You could leave the kids overnight and get a night off in Santa Cruz...

Anyway, I'll report on the day tomorrow when we get home!

Looks like you may be enjoying it that much you are doing the long weekend package :flatcap:
ps
report eagerly awaited :flatcap:

ribuck
28-12-2014, 00:14
I love the 3-D Mars room in that museum. That's where I'd choose to sleep.

Um, where DO you actually sleep? Amongst all the exhibits?

KirstyJay
29-12-2014, 16:24
Looks like you may be enjoying it that much you are doing the long weekend package :flatcap:
ps
report eagerly awaited :flatcap:

I did write a very long report up yesterday, but it got lost on my ipad and I was too tired to write it out again, so I left it for today, so here goes...

Here is a link to the page of their website about the camps : http://www.museosdetenerife.org/mcc-museo-de-la-ciencia-y-el-cosmos/actividad/1#.VJiTZ14gAA

They do them about once a month, so if it's something you're interested in, then give them a ring and ask for dates for the next ones.

It's for kids aged 6 to 12 years, though there was a 13 year old on the camp we went to. It costs 20€ per child. You can leave your kids there overnight alone, as that's what the camp's for, but if your kid really wants you to be there, as mine did because it was her birthday, accompanying adults can stay free of charge and are not expected to help out with supervision. We were actively told that we could do what we liked, relax and enjoy ourselves, however as teachers we have a natural instinct to help anyway. :)

Friday :

18:00 h: We arrived, had a talk about the rules, filled in inscriptions and our baggage and food was arranged into our groups. The groups were 'Sun' and 'Jupiter'. There are usually 3 groups, but only 19 kids attended this camp. Usually they have between 30 and 50.

18:30 h: The kids were given free time to play with the exhibits in the museum.

19:30 h: A session in the Planitarium where the constellations were explained to the kids in simple terms and we even got some Greek mythological stories that explained the positions of the stars. All really interesting even for us adults!

20:30 h: Dinner. You have to bring your own food, so everyone ate together in the cafeteria area.

21:30 h: They did a treasure hunt around the museum.

22:30 h: Experiments involving pressure and air to explain how different atmospheres are on other planets and how our planet differs.

23:30 h: We went outside and looked at the stars through telescopes. We saw Jupiter and two of its moons.

Um, where DO you actually sleep? Amongst all the exhibits?

We finally went to bed at 00:30 h. We slept amongst the exhibits in the side rooms. The floors are cold, so a camping mat is advised. For adults I'd advise a lilo too, as my hips were a bit creaky in the morning. We didn't get much sleep, as the kids were all excited and kept talking late!!! In hindsight I would have asked to sleep in a separate area for the kids.

Saturday

08:30 h: We got up, got changed, cleaned our teeth and had a wash. There are no showers, so be prepared for a Glaswegian shower ;)

09:00 h: We had breakfast in the cafeteria which is provided by the museum.

09:30 h: The kids had more free time with the exhibits. In the programme it says there are sometimes workshops to make some scientific gadget too, but we all got up late so we didn't do this.

10:00 h: We went outside to do solar observation through a special telescope and saw some sunspots.

11:00 h: We got our stuff together, said goodbye and left.

It was an excellent experience. My daughter loved it for her birthday. I would recommend it to anyone. Next time though, we'll leave the kids there and get a room in La Laguna or Santa Cruz. There are some good ones close by on booking.com (http://www.booking.com/index.html?aid=342524) and it means we can have a night off too :D

ribuck
29-12-2014, 16:40
Thanks KirstyJay. It sounds like a blast.

My kids are teenagers now, so I might need to borrow some younger ones :)

Or wait until they offer this event for adults.

Roger.

KirstyJay
29-12-2014, 16:43
Thanks KirstyJay. It sounds like a blast.

My kids are teenagers now, so I might need to borrow some younger ones :)

Or wait until they offer this event for adults.

Roger.

They offer astronomical evenings for adults, but I don't think it includes stop overs. You'd have to get a room close by for the night, or drive back late.

If you speak Spanish all the information is on the website here : http://www.museosdetenerife.org/mcc-museo-de-la-ciencia-y-el-cosmos/actividad/19#.VKF2R14gAA

and all the available activities are here : http://www.museosdetenerife.org/mcc-museo-de-la-ciencia-y-el-cosmos/actividades#.VKF2QF4gAA

If you don't speak Spanish, you'd have problems understanding the events anyway ;)

LUCKY
29-12-2014, 16:49
Thanks KirstyJay a great report thank you :flatcap:

KirstyJay
29-12-2014, 16:54
Thanks KirstyJay a great report thank you :flatcap:No problem. I think the Expat community sometimes has problems finding different things to do in Tenerife and bringing new information to our community is what the forum's all about. ;) I hope someone actually goes up and experiences this with their kids as a result of this thread, because most of us that have kids here... even if we don't speak Spanish, they are usually fluent, so it's a great opportunity for them :)