PDA

View Full Version : Relocation Advice on relocating to Tenerife

stuckinfrance
28-12-2014, 14:18
Hi all, Merry Christmas etc.!

We are looking at relocating to Tenerife in September of 2015. A few things to mention first: 1. My husband is an offshore worker so finding work on the island won't be necessary. 2. We are already ex-pats currently living in Brittany, France, so have already made the move from the UK, four years ago to be precise.

We have really enjoyed living in France for the last four years with our two children, 5 and 3 years old, in a big old house in the middle of nowhere. We now feel though it is time for a change. We have been country people all our lives, living in rural Devon before moving to France, but are now starting to crave a bit of life with our kids and to show family when they come to stay, for restaurants, bars etc. to be open at times of the day other than 12 - 2pm Monday to Friday, and places that may be open at the weekend when you actually want to use them!!! We have regularly holidayed in the south of the island, but are interested to hear different opinions from people based anywhere. We are planning on renting from September, preferably based out of town as we have dogs to bring with us (3 bed villa with garden and perhaps pool, budget up to 1800 euro per month if anyone has any suggestions!), with a view to buying somewhere within a couple of years if we decide the move is a good one. We have found it difficult to integrate in France for some reason. I speak French, our children go to the local school and we are involved in every activity it organises, we go to village functions, but we still feel as though we live on the fringes of society where the people who aren't politely civil are actually outright rude and the village baker still doesn't smile at us after seeing him six days a week, every week for nearly four years. Maybe we have just been unlucky with the area we chose! What are your opinions on the friendliness and accepting nature of the locals in Tenerife? What are your views on the island and the best places to live? And have you got any general advice for us bearing in mind we won't be looking for work and definitely don't see the UK as an alternative for living/we won't be homesick...

Many thanks in advance.

Greg
29-12-2014, 00:00
Congrats on your future move. The only recommendation I can think of is to spend a few weeks staying in different places and see where you feel most comfortable. Personally I prefer the south around Los Cristianos/Las Americas but I'm sure plenty of people will have differing opinions. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Tony the Welder
29-12-2014, 02:31
hi there , a lot of offshore workers are based on the island , most of the people are very friendly and will try and help out when ever possible with your budget you should not have a problem with finding a property to suit you but if you could find a 3 mouth let to start with so you can have a really good look around to find the right place for you and the schools for your children like I said the property should not be a problem but start looking early as these sort of property,s are used for holiday lets mainly, rural lets over here may be only 10 t 20 min out off the main resorts , possibly not for you but las chaffiras has quite a few 3bedroom town
houses for rent at very good prices maybe a base to get you started , whish you good look

stuckinfrance
30-12-2014, 15:04
Thanks to you both for your replies. A rural let I think would suit us more, Tony. We are used to a lot of space here in France, we don't actually have any neighbours within sight, but obviously don't expect that in Tenerife. It would be nice to drive away a little bit from the hustle and bustle to somewhere more quiet. 10 - 20 minutes out of town would be perfect!

KirstyJay
30-12-2014, 15:44
Try either up the East coast, like Arico or around Guia de Isora in the West then. Both only 15 to 25 mins out of the south resorts depending on how far you go, more space and good infrastructure to get in or out of the resorts via the main motorway.

You'll also get better value for money re: property in these areas.

stuckinfrance
02-01-2015, 18:58
Thanks KirstyJay. Yep, those are two areas we have been looking into, definitely seem to get more for your money there, and we don't have any real requirements of actually living within a resort. Looking forward to coming out again soon in the next couple of months to do some hands on research!

Tony the Welder
03-01-2015, 09:40
Try either up the East coast, like Arico or around Guia de Isora in the West then. Both only 15 to 25 mins out of the south resorts depending on how far you go, more space and good infrastructure to get in or out of the resorts via the main motorway.

You'll also get better value for money re: property in these areas.
agrea with kirstyjay guia de isora is spot on but not a lot of places to rent whish you all the best wow kirstyjay I did not know you like singing 4 of feb is my wedding anaversiary hope you will come along and give us a tune hugs n kisses t

bonitatime
06-01-2015, 20:44
Taucho or las moraditas are other options on that sort of budget