PDA

View Full Version : Why do we need our passport to buy a ferry ticket in Tenerife?

henk
28-12-2014, 15:56
:spin: We visited Tenerife and other Canarian islands frequently and in the past it was never a problem to buy a boot ticket for the ferry from Tenerife to Gomera but now we need a passport to buy a boot ticket, only a valid passport is valid, not even a driver licence.
We went by car, early in the morning from Los Gigantes to find out that a passport is needed to buy a bootticket and we dissappointed drove back to our hotel, we made ther trip the next day.

Why is this??

KirstyJay
28-12-2014, 20:48
:spin: We visited Tenerife and other Canarian islands frequently and in the past it was never a problem to buy a boot ticket for the ferry from Tenerife to Gomera but now we need a passport to buy a boot ticket, only a valid passport is valid, not even a driver licence.
We went by car, early in the morning from Los Gigantes to find out that a passport is needed to buy a bootticket and we dissappointed drove back to our hotel, we made ther trip the next day.

Why is this??

What is a boot ticket?

bulldog
28-12-2014, 22:40
What is a boot ticket?

its similar to a shoe ticket,but goes further up your leg:lol:

junglejim
29-12-2014, 05:32
What is a boot ticket?
It's from "Allo' Allo'" it's a Boat Ticket with accent !

Angusjim
29-12-2014, 08:25
It's from "Allo' Allo'" it's a Boat Ticket with accent !

Hi JJ good to see you posting again:c2::wave: are you drinking in the Rover again ?

canarybird
29-12-2014, 10:33
Can anyone give Henk a sensible answer to his question?

It seems pretty obvious that he means a boat ticket and that English is not his native language, so instead of making fun of his mistake,

please be kind and if you know why he needed a passport then let him know. :tiphat:

martincrabb99
29-12-2014, 10:58
I think that they like to ensure the Boat ticket matches the passport holder, this ensures security and if an accident occurs it means that all on board can be identified and accounted for.

David29971
29-12-2014, 11:36
I did observe several times last week that the Fred Olsen staff at LC were carrying out thorough examination of all tickets and passports together with a document scanning device. Previously there seemed to be just a casual glance at the ticket and ID document. Looked like upgrade of security measures.

KirstyJay
29-12-2014, 12:24
Can anyone give Henk a sensible answer to his question?

It seems pretty obvious that he means a boat ticket and that English is not his native language, so instead of making fun of his mistake,

please be kind and if you know why he needed a passport then let him know. :tiphat:

Actually I genuinely didn't know what he meant, which is why I asked, so no... It wasn't pretty obvious. I wondered if he meant a walk on as opposed to a drive on ticket, which is why I asked.

Malteser Monkey
29-12-2014, 12:30
I did a little google and quickly found this page - does state passport !

http://www.fredolsen.es/en-US/main/bookingaction.aspx?action=1

Ecky Thump
29-12-2014, 12:34
Actually I genuinely didn't know what he meant, which is why I asked, so no... It wasn't pretty obvious. I wondered if he meant a walk on as opposed to a drive on ticket, which is why I asked.

I also "Googled" boot ticket and it came up as a clamped vehicle....Americanisms!!:spin:

canarybird
29-12-2014, 16:37
Sorry Kirsty...didn't mean to sound presumptive.

Actually I think I remembered that "boot" = "boat" in German and so I thought it was an easy assumption.

My apologies. :)

KirstyJay
29-12-2014, 16:38
Sorry Kirsty...didn't mean to sound presumptive.

Actually I think I remembered that "boot" = "boat" in German and so I thought it was an easy assumption.

My apologies. :)No problem :) I didn't know that boot = boat in German. Every day's a school day ;)

canarybird
29-12-2014, 21:07
There was an exciting old movie that comes to mind about a German submarine called "Das Boot".
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081834/?ref_=tt_rec_tt

Greg
30-12-2014, 20:58
It is pretty normal to be asked for valid ID whatever you are doing. It is the law here to have to carry state registered ID. I got caught out after nearly thirty years here when I scrounged a lift to Leroy Merlin to pick up an ordered article to be told I couldn't have it with no ID despite having the letter informing me it had arrived and the text from them on my phone! Obviously I lost the argument as I was reminded it is the law to carry ID. Still stuck in the Franco days :(

marbro8
30-12-2014, 21:14
is it right that even holidaymakers should carry passports around with them at all times?, i remember that when tenerife were having problems with timeshare touts the police were stopping them and asking for id?

chifleta
30-12-2014, 23:17
On a similar thing, I was with hubby at the urgencias doctors in Cristianos the other day and a mature British couple arrived, her hubby needed to see a doctor, and the wife (omg poor hubby looked long suffering) got all stroppy because they needed to see his passport (obviously... you are a foreigner)... I think they probably got seen in the end, but saying "he has his drivers licence" isn't going to cut it, they are Spanish in Spain, you are not, you should show proper ID (i.e. passport or ID card)... I look at people like this lady and it makes me remember to not get stroppy at every little thing and appreciate that we are not "entitled" to things here...

Ok, back on subject, I think being as you are a foreigner then yes, passport should be shown, you are still travelling from island to island... and even travelling within the island, it would be daft to not have your ID (even if an official copy) with you at all times.

KirstyJay
30-12-2014, 23:28
On a similar thing, I was with hubby at the urgencias doctors in Cristianos the other day and a mature British couple arrived, her hubby needed to see a doctor, and the wife (omg poor hubby looked long suffering) got all stroppy because they needed to see his passport (obviously... you are a foreigner)... I think they probably got seen in the end, but saying "he has his drivers licence" isn't going to cut it, they are Spanish in Spain, you are not, you should show proper ID (i.e. passport or ID card)... I look at people like this lady and it makes me remember to not get stroppy at every little thing and appreciate that we are not "entitled" to things here...

Ok, back on subject, I think being as you are a foreigner then yes, passport should be shown, you are still travelling from island to island... and even travelling within the island, it would be daft to not have your ID (even if an official copy) with you at all times.

Just to expand on that, I took the bloke to urgencias at the Green Hospital just before Xmas, as we had been to our local doc and he sent us there. I didn't have his passport of NIE on us, as we'd come straight from the doctors in our village, however they were really nice, admitted him and when I offered to return home for it, they told me it was ok, but I needed to bring it when I returned. I did have the doctor's note, health card and knew his NIE, so that might have made a difference, but common courtesy can get you everywhere too. ;)

I usually carry a laminated photocopy of my passport, which isn't exactly legal, but is usually accepted in most places. Let's put it this way, it's never been refused as yet (touch wood). In another thread other members have mentioned that if you get your passport photocopied and then stamped by an official notary, which only costs a couple of euros, it is legally accepted and better than carrying the original around. :) I suppose that's only really useful if you live here or visit often though.

chifleta
30-12-2014, 23:36
Just to expand on that, I took the bloke to urgencias at the Green Hospital just before Xmas, as we had been to our local doc and he sent us there. I didn't have his passport of NIE on us, as we'd come straight from the doctors in our village, however they were really nice, admitted him and when I offered to return home for it, they told me it was ok, but I needed to bring it when I returned. I did have the doctor's note, health card and knew his NIE, so that might have made a difference, but common courtesy can get you everywhere too. ;)

I usually carry a laminated photocopy of my passport, which isn't exactly legal, but is usually accepted in most places. Let's put it this way, it's never been refused as yet (touch wood). In another thread other members have mentioned that if you get your passport photocopied and then stamped by an official notary, which only costs a couple of euros, it is legally accepted and better than carrying the original around. :) I suppose that's only really useful if you live here or visit often though.

Yup, i carry a plastificated copy of my NIE and passport, unless i'm going somewhere where I know they will ask to see the original... but like you said, common courtesy, the lady just looked permanently angry (poor husband) ... because if she'd been a bit nicer i would have got up and helped them out.

kingbaker
30-12-2014, 23:55
Yup, i carry a plastificated copy of my NIE and passport, unless i'm going somewhere where I know they will ask to see the original... but like you said, common courtesy, the lady just looked permanently angry (poor husband) ... because if she'd been a bit nicer i would have got up and helped them out.

Everything ok dear?;)

chifleta
31-12-2014, 00:15
Everything ok dear?;)

perfect dad ;) just normal bugs.... mind you, i had to leave hubby in the waiting room at one point before i shouted at a lady coughing and spluttering without putting her hand in front of her mouth, talk about share the germs YUCK

KirstyJay
31-12-2014, 00:25
Yup, i carry a plastificated copy of my NIE and passport...Now, there's Spanglish coming out... Laminated in English Plastificado in Spanish. :lol:

kingbaker
31-12-2014, 06:22
Yes plastificated like me turkey and ham on Christmas day....at the Chifsters house and no flippin beer.:confused:

chifleta
31-12-2014, 09:33
Now, there's Spanglish coming out... Laminated in English Plastificado in Spanish. :lol:

Jejejeeeejejeje what a faux pas..... a bit of Frenglish now ;)

kingbaker
31-12-2014, 14:18
Jejejeeeejejeje what a faux pas..... a bit of Frenglish now ;)

You mean yer English outshines yer 'cooking' by miles!!:p

Malteser Monkey
31-12-2014, 14:25
No problem :) I didn't know that boot = boat in German. Every day's a school day ;)

Isn't that Geordie/Scottish too ?:whistle:

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Now, there's Spanglish coming out... Laminated in English Plastificado in Spanish. :lol:

Love it Chiffy

norte
31-12-2014, 15:15
LOL like in aeroports. maybe they have issues with fake tickets or something. for security reasons driving licenses should do..