PDA

View Full Version : Other Why are the English newspapers so expensive in Tenerife?

Jollypolly
30-12-2014, 11:03
I like to read an english newspaper and have a bash at the crossword and suduko. They are expensive to buy each day, so its a treat. On several occasions I have been disappointed with the quality of the printing, many the time I have opened it up to find big wide black streaks down the middle of pages making them unreadable. In view of the cost I feel this is unacceptable....what do you think?

primrose
30-12-2014, 11:10
I like to read an english newspaper and have a bash at the crossword and suduko. They are expensive to buy each day, so its a treat. On several occasions I have been disappointed with the quality of the printing, many the time I have opened it up to find big wide black streaks down the middle of pages making them unreadable. In view of the cost I feel this is unacceptable....what do you think?

They are printed in Santa Cruz so can't see any reason for them to be so expensive.I read them on line, wouldn't pay that price. I could understand them being expensive when they flew the papers over but now it is just another rip off.

jeste747
30-12-2014, 12:20
I agree total rip off, they just charge as much as the market will stand, a lot of British tourist, keep the price high, thats how it seems to work in a lot of things not just newspapers.

LUCKY
30-12-2014, 12:26
I like to read the following :flatcap:

http://www.accringtonobserver.co.uk/

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/blackburn/

KirstyJay
30-12-2014, 12:54
They are printed in Santa Cruz so can't see any reason for them to be so expensive.I read them on line, wouldn't pay that price. I could understand them being expensive when they flew the papers over but now it is just another rip off.Maybe it's due to the print runs being a lot smaller than in the UK, so the cost is higher... or maybe they just stick with the old prices from when the papers were imported because they know people expect it and therefore they can continue to rip people off...

Both reasons are plausible! :D

primrose
30-12-2014, 13:19
I like to read the following :flatcap:

http://www.accringtonobserver.co.uk/

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/blackburn/

Then you have good taste for somebody from Yorkshire. :flatcap:

TOTO 99
30-12-2014, 13:35
It's hard to believe the filter doesn't block a post that has the words "good taste" and "Yorkshire" in the same sentence....:laugh:

primrose
30-12-2014, 13:37
It's hard to believe the filter doesn't block a post that has the words "good taste" and "Yorkshire" in the same sentence....:laugh:

Would Dingle with no taste be better.:D

angiebabe
30-12-2014, 14:43
I don't bother buying newspapers on Holiday any more. I've got the Daily Mail app, and when I'm in a WiFi bar I download it, also it stays on my phone, so I can read it in our apt.

KirstyJay
30-12-2014, 15:53
I don't bother buying newspapers on Holiday any more. I've got the Daily Mail app, and when I'm in a WiFi bar I download it, also it stays on my phone, so I can read it in our apt.

So you're admitting to being a Daily Mail reader then? :lol:

Angusjim
30-12-2014, 16:12
For the mentally challenged people, you can also read the Daily Mirror on-line for free:hide:

So is it a good read:whistle:

Malteser Monkey
30-12-2014, 16:19
So is it a good read:whistle:

It's free:whistle::wink2:

Ecky Thump
30-12-2014, 16:24
Maybe it's due to the print runs being a lot smaller than in the UK, so the cost is higher... or maybe they just stick with the old prices from when the papers were imported because they know people expect it and therefore they can continue to rip people off...

Both reasons are plausible! :D

Also, I believe that they don't get any advertising revenue from UK advertisers and this is what makes newspapers viably profitable.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

It's free:whistle::wink2:

Now that's appealing to those of us from North of the Border!!:laugh:

Suzanne
30-12-2014, 17:38
It annoys me that they charge so much and you dont get the supplements at the weekend!

Tony the Welder
27-01-2015, 04:55
Newspaper printing in the Canary Islands is expensive, low print runs cost more as KirstyJay said. I worked for an English newspaper that used to have a magazine printed in the mainland as the price was half.

Andy0210
27-01-2015, 22:21
All papers are printed in Santa Cruz, the files are sent to them from the UK Papers, start to finish every UK paper printed in Tenerife takes from about 9.00 p.m - 3.30 a.m, then distributed by lots of vans and cars to all areas, print run isnīt any more expensive than the UK other than the fact the paper might cost more to get here with us being an Island.

Main reason is why should they drop their prices that it used to cost to print and supply from years ago when people are daft enough to pay them even though the costs are considerably less these days?