PDA

View Full Version : Other Climbing Mount Teide peak

bogbrush
30-12-2014, 19:06
Hello all

We were hoping to go to the very peak of Mt Teide but see from the national park website that the last couple of hundred metres after the cable car station is closed due to snow. Has anyone any recent experience of going to the top, and is it very closely guarded? Like if we were to go up there on new year's day, for eg?!

TheBloke
30-12-2014, 19:23
You need a permit to get to the top in any weather so just turning up at the gate(near the cable car) won't work.You can book into the refugio which grants you a pass automatically or book a guided trip which does likewise.Do you intend to walk from the cable car or from montana blanca the difference being about 8 hours depending on your fitness?

bogbrush
30-12-2014, 20:25
Well, if it were me alone I'd happily puff all the way to the top from montana blanca, but I'll have someone with me who isn't in the best of health just now, so may have to settle for the cable car up and a walk down.

Your suggestion of the refugio is an interesting one but, in the light of this https://www.reservasparquesnacionales.es/real/ParquesNac/usu/html/detalle-actividad-oapn.aspx?cen=2&act=1 do you think it would work?

imablue
30-12-2014, 22:02
I would say that is self explanatory, under no circumstances anyone who may not be fit enough shouldn,t even go there.
Even from the cable car it is quite strenuous and anyone with breathing difficulties will have problem ......

kingbaker
30-12-2014, 22:09
Might be a good idea to check yer insurance......rescues might be expensive:D

amanda
30-12-2014, 22:46
Had two attempts after the drop from the cable car second time I made it, that was way back in 1987, my middle son ran from the cable car to the top, amazing what a nine year old can do,

KirstyJay
30-12-2014, 23:02
Had two attempts after the drop from the cable car second time I made it, that was way back in 1987, my middle son ran from the cable car to the top, amazing what a nine year old can do,How old were you then? If it's not a rude question. A roundabout figure would be ok. :D

imablue
30-12-2014, 23:24
At a guess 27 years younger ...!!
I took my family there when my youngest son was 5. Cable car to the station and walked into the volcano to the other side and back round the rim .. Got the cable back to the bottom and eventually back to our car . Drove from there via Puerta de la Cruz to Silencio and the lad slept all the way back. Not at all like him to be like that, realised later, the fumes from the crater musta knocked him out ...
should have made the missus do it ...:)

KirstyJay
30-12-2014, 23:32
At a guess 27 years younger ...!!
I took my family there when my youngest son was 5. Cable car to the station and walked into the volcano to the other side and back round the rim .. Got the cable back to the bottom and eventually back to our car . Drove from there via Puerta de la Cruz to Silencio and the lad slept all the way back. Not at all like him to be like that, realised later, the fumes from the crater musta knocked him out ...
should have made the missus do it ...:)

The reason I ask, is that I want to do it at some point. :)

ribuck
30-12-2014, 23:32
... is it very closely guarded? Like if we were to go up there on new year's day, for eg?!

The Teide summit is guarded whenever the cable car is operating, which includes New Year's Day. The only way to do it when it's not guarded is to stay at the Refugio Altavista, then climb the last bit for sunrise and get off the top before 8:50am.

As even the Refugio website is announcing it as closed, it probably means that you would be crazy to attempt it without ice axe and crampons.

Why not climb Guajara instead? It's the rugged peak that looms above the Parador, and is the third-highest mountain in Tenerife. There's a tourist route up one side, and an adventurous route up the other side. It's a great mountain.

Alternatively, you can take the cable car up then climb down via Pico Viejo, the second-highest mountain and one with a very scenic crater rim. Assuming they haven't also closed off the trail from the cable car down to Pico Viejo (I was at the Teide Visitor Centre today, but didn't ask about that). The route down from Pico Viejo ends at the Parador, but the navigation is not always straightforwards and it makes for a long day. I'd say it's about twice as hard as walking down the usual Montana Blanca route.

imablue
30-12-2014, 23:41

Wonderful experience for anyone ,and in your situation to take your children there even better . I would be more inclined to wait until the colder weather goes.

KirstyJay
31-12-2014, 00:21
The Teide summit is guarded whenever the cable car is operating, which includes New Year's Day. The only way to do it when it's not guarded is to stay at the Refugio Altavista, then climb the last bit for sunrise and get off the top before 8:50am.

Do you have to walk back down to the Refugio from the top of the cable car? I have looked on a map and it seems to be lower, as if you'd be walking back on yourself to go to the refugio, stay overnight and then have to return back the way you've come, back to the cable car and then on to the top.

Does anyone have a definitive Google map pinpoint of the location of the refugio, cable car and the route up to the top? Ive done a few searches on Google but haven't been able to come up with anything truly concrete.

I would be more inclined to wait until the colder weather goes.

Yes, that would be the idea ;)

ribuck
31-12-2014, 09:16
Do you have to walk back down to the Refugio from the top of the cable car?

Yes, it's about an hour's walk down from the top of the cable car to the Refugio. The position of the Refugio was determined by the availability of water. Most of the people who stay there will have walked up from Montana Blanca.

Does anyone have a definitive Google map pinpoint of the location of the refugio, cable car and the route up to the top?

Google Maps are great for roads, but not so complete for walking trails. Take a look at OpenStreetMap instead:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/28.2672/-16.6306&layers=N

If you want to see the contour lines, click "Layers" and "Open Cycle Map".

Angusjim
31-12-2014, 09:37

Forget it Kirsty you are well past this kind of thing or so I am led to believe from a Forum member think hes called The Bloke seems to know you:whistle::laugh:

amanda
31-12-2014, 17:34
Say hi to pauline tell her I have a new puppy, she is lovely but not lilyxx

Ali.xx
31-12-2014, 20:27
I climbed it Sept this year. From Montana Blanca to refuge took us 6 hours. I'm 39 and unfit and a couple of stone overweight. Unfortunately you do not sleep at altitude and left the lodge just gone 5am. Took around 2/3 hours to climb from the lodge to the summit. Would of been slightly quicker but I had to stop many times to be sick! Spent half hour or so at the top and then used the cable car to get down. I must warn you there are no lights or paths or help points on route. You must wear the correct clothing and take a torch. Do not attempt this if the park is closed. Its closed for a reason. I'm pleased I experienced it and the views are amazing. I never knew there were so many stars in the sky. Good luck if you give it a go.

KirstyJay
31-12-2014, 20:38
Thanks for that.

What do you mean by :
Unfortunately you do not sleep at altitude

What sort of problems do you have sleeping at altitude?

Ali.xx
31-12-2014, 20:55
I don't know what it is but you cant sleep properly. You doze and wake up and it goes on all night like that. Apparently its common and your body gets used to it after a few days. Not much help if your there 1 night. Look it up on the net for more info.

KirstyJay
31-12-2014, 21:24
I don't know what it is but you cant sleep properly. You doze and wake up and it goes on all night like that. Apparently its common and your body gets used to it after a few days. Not much help if your there 1 night. Look it up on the net for more info.

I've been looking it up. You had Altitude Sickness. http://www.altitudemedicine.org/index.php/altitude-medicine/learn-about-altitude-sickness/what-is-altitude-sickness

Just for anyone's info, apparently Ginkgo Biloba is good to take before and during an ascent to prevent altitude sickness. Plus the page I linked to gives details of sleeping remedies that are ok at high altitude.

Here's a link to Ginkgo Biloba on Amazon UK. 100mg pills, as recommended. : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zestlife-Ginkgo-Biloba-100mg-tablets/dp/B00J6ZPJ6U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1420057264&sr=8-2&keywords=ginkgo+biloba+100mg.

I live at about 700m, so I'm not sure if altitude would affect me quite as much. :)

ribuck
01-01-2015, 10:52
...Unfortunately you do not sleep at altitude...

The altitude is half the problem, plus the fact that there are 18 bunks per room. But there's always one person who sleeps solidly, and it's inevitably the guy who snores loudly all night.

norte
01-01-2015, 12:10
do you need to book refugio too? is there a guard (@refugio ) who checks all that? and usually is full i guess? thanks.

KirstyJay
01-01-2015, 14:25
The altitude is half the problem, plus the fact that there are 18 bunks per room. But there's always one person who sleeps solidly, and it's inevitably the guy who snores loudly all night.That'd be me, then ;)

do you need to book refugio too? is there a guard (@refugio ) who checks all that? and usually is full i guess? thanks.You can book the Refugio and check availability on their website here : http://www.telefericoteide.com/en/altavista/altavista-refuge

If you don't want to stay at the Refugio you can just book your access permit here :
https://www.reservasparquesnacionales.es/real/ParquesNac/usu/html/inicio-reserva-oapn.aspx

bogbrush
02-01-2015, 21:11
Hi all

Bogbrush back again - from a trip up Mount Tidy just today.

Amazing views, but it might have helped if the National Park people had made it clear on their website that it wasn't possible to take the Teleferico up and then walk down! OK, ice and snow happen - but the meet and greet people told us on arrival that path 7, at the point where it joined no 11, had been shut for over a month - ample time to put that on their website just as they had with no 10 to the summit :-(

imablue
02-01-2015, 21:42
Ah well eh!.. at least you have appreciated what you where able to access.
Some other time maybe you will get to the summit.

bogbrush
02-01-2015, 22:30

Inshallah.....I'll have to take up Canaries residency to get the trip up for €8.50 ;-)

And did any other recent visitors experience the woman taking pictures of people while they were queuing for the cable car? I thought at the time 'what a **** backdrop' but hadn't bargained on quite how **** the resultant pics would be afterwards - see attached

LUCKY
02-01-2015, 22:50

Inshallah.....I'll have to take up Canaries residency to get the trip up for €8.50 ;-)

And did any other recent visitors experience the woman taking pictures of people while they were queuing for the cable car? I thought at the time 'what a **** backdrop' but hadn't bargained on quite how **** the resultant pics would be afterwards - see attached

See what you mean it musta been foggy up there, cannot even see attachment on the page .:flatcap:

bogbrush
02-01-2015, 23:06
Ho ho ho - how exactly DO you upload pics on this site?!

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Aha - discovered.

Inshallah. ....

ribuck
02-01-2015, 23:23
Those pictures really are pathetic!

I never let the lady take my picture. She is always very insistent, but I have discovered a trick. All you need to do is say the magic words: "ida solo".

This means "only going one way" (which is usually the case with me anyway). Once she knows there's no chance of a sale, she immediately loses interest.

bogbrush
03-01-2015, 10:02
Well the lady in question got very upset with me when I took those pics of her merchandise and this was despite the fact that she HADN'T taken our pics in the queue earlier, parroting "privado" at me over and over like a stuck record even though she'd spoken to me in fluent English before when asking to see our tickets.

Suggest giving her a taste of her own medicine by putting something in front of your face and saying "privado" when she tries taking your pics!

KirstyJay
03-01-2015, 12:26
Well the lady in question got very upset with me when I took those pics of her merchandise and this was despite the fact that she HADN'T taken our pics in the queue earlier, parroting "privado" at me over and over like a stuck record even though she'd spoken to me in fluent English before when asking to see our tickets.

Suggest giving her a taste of her own medicine by putting something in front of your face and saying "privado" when she tries taking your pics!That must be a recent thing, as I've never seen her. I hate all these opportunists though. 5€ for a photo? bog off.