PDA

View Full Version : Other Are scooters an accident waiting to happen?

norjac
03-01-2015, 21:32
Just need to get this off my chest. Does anyone feel like myself that these 2 wheel electric scooters are an accident waiting to happen. I have seen children about 7 years old on them and they look terrified, what are their parents thinking of. Also groups of young men on them charging around at high speed. Are there no laws regarding age or speed or does someone have to be serious hurt before some rules are applied. Just hope it is not me, I have already had a few near misses

imablue
03-01-2015, 22:14
As you say, madness it seems.
Seen some classic very near misses and none of them have any protection be it headwear or even gloves and most are in shorts without tops on for the lads and bikini tops for the girls.
Just had a guy i know come off his motorbike in an accident that wasn,t his fault at all and his knuckles are ripped of skin ..thats with gloves on .. god help a young kid with these crazy bikes they ride and on the walkways too.

LUCKY
03-01-2015, 22:19
Just need to get this off my chest. Does anyone feel like myself that these 2 wheel electric scooters are an accident waiting to happen. I have seen children about 7 years old on them and they look terrified, what are their parents thinking of. Also groups of young men on them charging around at high speed. Are there no laws regarding age or speed or does someone have to be serious hurt before some rules are applied. Just hope it is not me, I have already had a few near misses

Dont you just love it when you know about these things. ( when i say you i mean me Sorry) :flatcap:

Yes accident now read on .
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1315518/Segway-tycoon-Jimi-Heselden-dies-cliff-plunge-scooters.html

norjac
03-01-2015, 22:21
Don't know why the heading has been changed on my post. I am not talking about Skegways but the small electric 2 wheel scooters that are ridden at very high speeds, by children and teens.

trevorife2
03-01-2015, 22:24
Bloody things ... That is all

KirstyJay
03-01-2015, 22:25
Don't know why the heading has been changed on my post. I am not talking about Skegways but the small electric 2 wheel scooters that are ridden at very high speeds, by children and teens.

What... these?

or these?

norjac
03-01-2015, 22:38
What... these?

or these?

Yes the bottom one. At least Segways are quite slow, the speed of the scooters as they come up behind you is quite scary and they seem to be everywhere, on the prom and around town. As they have only recently become so popular I think some rules are needed. I worry about pensioners like myself and small children. Also parents who hire them for there children with no helmets are taking chances with the safety of there own children.

KirstyJay
03-01-2015, 22:39
Yes the bottom one. At least Segways are quite slow, the speed of the scooters as they come up behind you is quite scary and they seem to be everywhere, on the prom and around town. As they have only recently become so popular I think some rules are needed. I worry about pensioners like myself and small children. Also parents who hire them for there children with no helmets are taking chances with the safety of there own children.I saw a website for Puerto Colón where you could hire them from 6 years!!! :eek:

norjac
03-01-2015, 22:43
I saw a website for Puerto Colón where you could hire them from 6 years!!! :eek:

Well that says it all. These are vehicles, this would not be allowed in the UK. If you where a parent with any common sense at all would you allow your child to use one. I would like to know the top speed of them.

KirstyJay
03-01-2015, 22:46
Well that says it all. These are vehicles, this would not be allowed in the UK. If you where a parent with any common sense at all would you allow your child to use one. I would like to know the top speed of them.

I hope I am a parent with common sense, and I wouldn't allow my two to use 'em. It's downright lazy anyhow. They should be burning of some of that ADHD energy and powering the damn things themselves... then the top speed would depend on how much sugar they'd had that day. ;)

LUCKY
03-01-2015, 22:50

If you read my post ..... they aint allowed ! :flatcap:

kingbaker
03-01-2015, 23:00
I hope I am a parent with common sense, and I wouldn't allow my two to use 'em. It's downright lazy anyhow. They should be burning of some of that ADHD energy and powering the damn things themselves... then the top speed would depend on how much sugar they'd had that day. ;)

Ha!! Ha!! Ha!! And thats only the kids. As for the teachers.....well.....:p

KirstyJay
03-01-2015, 23:04
If you read my post ..... they aint allowed ! :flatcap:but norjac said she meant scooters not segways.

imablue
03-01-2015, 23:10
Scooters were for Mods.. Vespa Lambretta,not the ones on here like , and kids scooters are the ones Kirsty would ride with her kids ..whilst Gordon was running behind them ..ha ha ..

LUCKY
03-01-2015, 23:30
are they available at retail outlets in Tenerife, if so where :flatcap:

Red Devil
03-01-2015, 23:49
There is someone hiring these scooters out near Harleys at the bottom of the hill down from Irish Fidler and there will be a serious accident soon. Young kids are racing about on these scooters, often without parental supervision and they will run into someone shortly, its an accident waiting to happen.
I'm talking about the scooters by the way, not the segways, although they are a pain as well- why cant pavements just be for pedestrians and not bikes, scooters, segways etc?

tfs1
04-01-2015, 09:05
They are a nuisance.

We saw a large family group on them including adults, mad teenagers and young kids - all had issues with using and controlling them and it seemed to be a disaster waiting to happen not just for them but the innocent public that they were swerving around at speed, they were on a busy pavement and clearly not interested or aware of what their actions were having on others.

As those that have seen them they can move at speed. Depending on the model speeds range from 12-24km/h thats around 7-15mph.

macdonald5
04-01-2015, 11:41
We saw a young teenage lad take a tumble from one of these on the hill near Harley's the other day
Pretty bloody arms and legs !!

KirstyJay
04-01-2015, 14:42
Scooters were for Mods.. So it's all the forum mods riding round on them then.... :moped:

chifleta
04-01-2015, 17:23
you mean these? (just found this clip on youtube :) at least they are practising... the ones that used to come flying down the hill alongside the Bouganville Hotel were mainly absolute nutters out of control... some would swerve toward you on purpose https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcfYf5eBzYE

imablue
04-01-2015, 22:00
Well if they are and own them.. could be worth a few bob....:)Mirrors and spotlights included
https://es.search.yahoo.com/search?fr=spigot-nt-gc&ei=utf-8&ilc=12&type=523482&p=scooter%20boys

essexeddie
05-01-2015, 21:10
Soon it will be safer to walk on the roads.

marbro8
11-01-2015, 00:37
bump..............

Tshirt
11-01-2015, 13:58
.........and why do young able bodied people want to ride around on mobility scooters?

marbro8
11-01-2015, 14:42
.........and why do young able bodied people want to ride around on mobility scooters?in the words of madge in benidorm "p@@s off i'm on holiday":laugh:

Tshirt
11-01-2015, 15:16
in the words of madge in benidorm "p@@s off i'm on holiday":laugh:

Although my mobility is poor and I'm envious of people who can walk for miles I have yet to give in and hire a mobility scooter, so it ppppps me off when people who can walk won't.

marbro8
11-01-2015, 16:02
Although my mobility is poor and I'm envious of people who can walk for miles I have yet to give in and hire a mobility scooter, so it ppppps me off when people who can walk won't.my 20 year old niece who regularly comes to tenerife with us was born with a condition called arthrogryposis, she has no joints in her body, after countless ops she can feed herself in a fashion and she can walk a few hundred yards unaided, but it gets to painful after that, so we hire a mobility scooter for her while we are there for the 2 weeks, but the looks that she gets from other tourists when riding past is unbelievable???, it's as if they are thinking she is just playing on it and shouldn't be riding the thing at her age??? because she is head strong she has got into so many arguments with people staring at her, we had a full blown row in leo's restaurant in october with two women looking and pointing at her like she was some sort of freak show:angry:but i know what you mean ted i have a mate who has no mobility issues he is just fat and idle and he hires one when he goes to benidorm:confused:in fact he is that tight he hates paying taxi fayres, so he was riding the scooter with his girlfriend on the back and the local police confiscated it:laugh:

Tshirt
11-01-2015, 16:16
my 20 year old niece who regularly comes to tenerife with us was born with a condition called arthrogryposis, she has no joints in her body, after countless ops she can feed herself in a fashion and she can walk a few hundred yards unaided, but it gets to painful after that, so we hire a mobility scooter for her while we are there for the 2 weeks, but the looks that she gets from other tourists when riding past is unbelievable???, it's as if they are thinking she is just playing on it and shouldn't be riding the thing at her age??? because she is head strong she has got into so many arguments with people staring at her, we had a full blown row in leo's restaurant in october with two women looking and pointing at her like she was some sort of freak show:angry:but i know what you mean ted i have a mate who has no mobility issues he is just fat and idle and he hires one when he goes to benidorm:confused:in fact he is that tight he hates paying taxi fayres, so he was riding the scooter with his girlfriend on the back and the local police confiscated it:laugh:

Sorry to hear about your niece Marbs, as a genuinely disabled person does she get any discounts on scooter hire or does she have to pay the same as someone who can't be arsed to walk?

marbro8
11-01-2015, 16:25
Sorry to hear about your niece Marbs, as a genuinely disabled person does she get any discounts on scooter hire or does she have to pay the same as someone who can't be arsed to walk?cheers mate:wink:, no i didn't know that you can get a discount to be honest?, because we pay for it so it doesn't eat into her holiday spending money:)

blondie
14-04-2015, 11:30
cheers mate:wink:, no i didn't know that you can get a discount to be honest?, because we pay for it so it doesn't eat into her holiday spending money:)

Well at long last someone has seen sense and taken a mobility scooter off an able bodied nutter who was driving it . Video on Tenerife and Visitors FB page this am . Plan is take them off the people who have no need for them. Only problem there is how can they tell who does require it and who doesn't ? We will see how long it lasts but the authorities need to do something before summer or it will be safer to walk on the roads.

marbro8
14-04-2015, 12:28
Well at long last someone has seen sense and taken a mobility scooter off an able bodied nutter who was driving it . Video on Tenerife and Visitors FB page this am . Plan is take them off the people who have no need for them. Only problem there is how can they tell who does require it and who doesn't ? We will see how long it lasts but the authorities need to do something before summer or it will be safer to walk on the roads.i have informed my niece that she will have to take her mobility badges with her this year, as the spanish government are bringing a law in that allows the local police to stop anyone on a mobility scooter that they suspect may not need one, and check their disability status, she is only 21, and unless you see her trying to walk or eat you would never suspect that she was disabled. a good idea if you ask me, even if it is a pain carrying them around with you everywhere;)

TOTO 99
14-04-2015, 12:36
Well at long last someone has seen sense and taken a mobility scooter off an able bodied nutter who was driving it . Video on Tenerife and Visitors FB page this am . Plan is take them off the people who have no need for them. Only problem there is how can they tell who does require it and who doesn't ? We will see how long it lasts but the authorities need to do something before summer or it will be safer to walk on the roads.

I would have thought that the hire shop should be responsible for obtaining proof before they let them out.

To be honest though unless there's a shortage of them I don't see what difference it makes who is driving it. Obviously if genuine disabled people are missing out then that's another matter...:tiphat:

primrose
14-04-2015, 13:28
I would have thought that the hire shop should be responsible for obtaining proof before they let them out.

To be honest though unless there's a shortage of them I don't see what difference it makes who is driving it. Obviously if genuine disabled people are missing out then that's another matter...:tiphat:

There is a world of difference in the driving between a genuinely disabled person and some young drunk idiots hiring them for a week on holiday. When a young able bodied woman uses one to to take the dog a walk, driving it with one hand and holding the dogs lead with the other and a three year old child stood on it, then yes it's time there was a crack down by the Police, that is something I see every day.

TOTO 99
14-04-2015, 13:41
There is a world of difference in the driving between a genuinely disabled person and some young drunk idiots hiring them for a week on holiday. When a young able bodied woman uses one to to take the dog a walk, driving it with one hand and holding the dogs lead with the other and a three year old child stood on it, then yes it's time there was a crack down by the Police, that is something I see every day.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen but I would imagine you're talking about 1% of hirers there though? If that.

I would imagine a similar figure would apply to genuinely disabled people who misuse them. :tiphat:

Ecky Thump
14-04-2015, 13:54
i have informed my niece that she will have to take her mobility badges with her this year, as the spanish government are bringing a law in that allows the local police to stop anyone on a mobility scooter that they suspect may not need one, and check their disability status, she is only 21, and unless you see her trying to walk or eat you would never suspect that she was disabled. a good idea if you ask me, even if it is a pain carrying them around with you everywhere;)

Are you hiring one from a different company this year?, as I can remember that the one that you hired last year had problems and that the hirer tried to put the blame on you for the fault.

primrose
14-04-2015, 14:06
I'm not saying it doesn't happen but I would imagine you're talking about 1% of hirers there though? If that.

I would imagine a similar figure would apply to genuinely disabled people who misuse them. :tiphat:

It's not just visitors it's residents as well that actually own them and use them for shopping and getting about' to avoid paying Taxis and parking,so I would say you are way out with your 1%, mobility scooters were meant for disabled people not for people to have fun on.

TOTO 99
14-04-2015, 14:13
It's not just visitors it's residents as well that actually own them and use them for shopping and getting about' to avoid paying Taxis and parking,so I would say you are way out with your 1%, mobility scooters were meant for disabled people not for people to have fun on.

Not wishing to split hairs Primmy but residents using them for shopping hardly constitutes drunken loutishness does it?

It sounds to me that you're more concerned with begrudging able bodied people using them than unruly behaviour? Again I would say, what difference does it make who uses them?

I agree that misuse of them is not acceptable but that would be the same with any mode of transport.

primrose
14-04-2015, 14:31
Not wishing to split hairs Primmy but residents using them for shopping hardly constitutes drunken loutishness does it?

It sounds to me that you're more concerned with begrudging able bodied people using them than unruly behaviour? Again I would say, what difference does it make who uses them?

I agree that misuse of them is not acceptable but that would be the same with any mode of transport.

I don't begrudge anybody anything, I was trying to explain why your figure of 1% was way out.

TOTO 99
14-04-2015, 14:35
I don't begrudge anybody anything, I was trying to explain why your figure of 1% was way out.

You haven't......
My estimate was the pecentage of people who abuse them with bad behaviour and I stand by that..:respect:

primrose
14-04-2015, 14:36
You haven't......
My estimate was the pecentage of people who abuse them with bad behaviour and I stand by that..:respect:

Well you living in Warrington would probably know more of what goes on here than me.

TOTO 99
14-04-2015, 14:40
Well you living in Warrington would probably know more of what goes on here than me.

And there we must leave it I'm afraid.......

Ecky Thump
14-04-2015, 14:56
You haven't......

Work out these figures for me in percentages, as I'm no mathematician.....I stay in Tenerife for three months out of twelve and during the last five years, I have only ever once seen some youngsters playing on one, work it out by estimating that I see 15 mobility scooters every day....don't include marbro8 's niece as I see her on a daily basis during her stay in Tenerife and she is a pest as I have to keep her scooter fully charged.;):lol:

TOTO 99
14-04-2015, 15:03
Work out these figures for me in percentages, as I'm no mathematician.....I stay in Tenerife for three months out of twelve and during the last five years, I have only ever once seen some youngsters playing on one, work it out by estimating that I see 15 mobility scooters every day....don't include marbro8 's niece as I see her on a daily basis during her stay in Tenerife and she is a pest as I have to keep her scooter fully charged.;):lol:

Stop teasing me Ecky....You know full well I'm from Warrington and can't possibly work anything out....:lol:

primrose
14-04-2015, 15:09

Would have thought you would see hundreds in a day when you are on the Los Cris web-cam.

Ecky Thump
14-04-2015, 15:21
Would have thought you would see hundreds in a day when you are on the Los Cris web-cam.

My wife limits me on the time that I sit on my bum with the computer turned on, taking her to the shops takes priority!

blondie
14-04-2015, 15:22

Imust admit that I would have thought folk were not abusing these scooters , that was until our last holiday two weeks ago. It was a disgrace to see young parents with two kids on a double buggy going way too fast along the front of LC. I actually saw someone tearing after the scooter after it had passed him. As for the companies , they have a lot to answer for giving them to these families, pity help the poor folk who may need one and they are all out to these people who don't require them. Now , when are they going to put an age limit on these motorised scooters, they are a bigger hazard with worse to come in the summer ? Rant over , hadn't quite realised until now that I have turned into my late dad.

Ecky Thump
14-04-2015, 15:55
Imust admit that I would have thought folk were not abusing these scooters , that was until our last holiday two weeks ago. It was a disgrace to see young parents with two kids on a double buggy going way too fast along the front of LC. I actually saw someone tearing after the scooter after it had passed him. As for the companies , they have a lot to answer for giving them to these families, pity help the poor folk who may need one and they are all out to these people who don't require them. Now , when are they going to put an age limit on these motorised scooters, they are a bigger hazard with worse to come in the summer ? Rant over , hadn't quite realised until now that I have turned into my late dad.

A large part of the blame must go to the manufacturers of mobility scooters, it would be very simple for them to fit a speed limiter on them and that would take the "fun" from there use.
I don't think it's wrong for anyone to use them, disabled or not, it's just the danger of speed that concerns me, but I do take your point of the availability of them.

marbro8
14-04-2015, 16:52
Are you hiring one from a different company this year?, as I can remember that the one that you hired last year had problems and that the hirer tried to put the blame on you for the fault.yes mate, the reason we hired the last few from paul was because the shop is right outside the el mirador complex, and it was just so convenient, but i think i will get bob at redarrow to get me one delivered to our apartment this time, we won't need it until the monday now because ryanair have changed our flights, and we wont get to the apartment until around 7.00pm now, so it looks like a few cans on the patio and a pizza may takeaway;)

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Work out these figures for me in percentages, as I'm no mathematician.....I stay in Tenerife for three months out of twelve and during the last five years, I have only ever once seen some youngsters playing on one, work it out by estimating that I see 15 mobility scooters every day....don't include marbro8 's niece as I see her on a daily basis during her stay in Tenerife and she is a pest as I have to keep her scooter fully charged.;):lol:luckily eric we have found a long lost cousin that own's a ground floor apartment just around the corner from YOUR cousins apartment, so we will be able to charge it ourselves next month:eyebrows:;)

stubags
21-04-2015, 14:09
Well that says it all. These are vehicles, this would not be allowed in the UK.

We're not in the UK though.

marbro8
28-05-2015, 19:19
This afternoon me and my boy were walking along the sea front in Los Cristianos when two idiots went screaming past us
on these stupid "TOYS" at a very fast speed,what they didn't see was a local policia following them.The officer stopped them
and took their details (they spoke Spanish) so I just hope they get fined:ban: we went to enquire about a scooter for my disabled niece, at prime choice opposite the church in los cris, and they were bragging about the new 3 wheel trikes being able to do 45km an hour, when do these things stop being aids for genuine disabled people, and become play things for idiots:redcard:, if they want to play at being dangerous then let them on the motorway and see how brave they arerolleyes2: