PDA

View Full Version : Fiestas What should we expect at a Spanish wedding in Tenerife?

curriegirl
04-01-2015, 12:07
We have been invited to a Wedding in Tenerife. To be honest, we don't really know the couple well but they are a lovely couple. They are Spanish and from Tenerife. They invited us to the wedding then night they got engaged. We thought they were just caught up in all the excitement, but we have since had 2 emails from them asking us if we will be in Tenerife at this time and again inviting us to the wedding. Most of our conversations are lost in translation, but they have invited us.
Not sure of the wedding etiquette, or whether this is a big occasion or less formal.
Any ideas of dress code/presents etc.
I have read a bit about traditional Spanish weddings, but we don't want to presume we will be included in the meal. We will not be in Tenerife until a week before the wedding. We also do not know anyone else other than the bride and groom. Help!!!!

canarybird
04-01-2015, 12:16
Hi Curriegirl....

Not sure what the etiquette is here as I've never been to local wedding but will ask my Canary friends and see what they say. I don't know either if an invite to the wedding includes the reception as well but if the couple are sending you emails to confirm your presence, perhaps it's to make a count of those who will be included in the dinner.

I'll get back to you in a couple of days and I'm sure more people will come along with suggestions. Look forward to seeing you when you get back here.:)

KirstyJay
04-01-2015, 13:09
It's a catholic country so I would think normal Catholic wedding procedure...

curriegirl
04-01-2015, 13:15
Hi Curriegirl....

Not sure what the etiquette is here as I've never been to local wedding but will ask my Canary friends and see what they say. I don't know either if an invite to the wedding includes the reception as well but if the couple are sending you emails to confirm your presence, perhaps it's to make a count of those who will be included in the dinner.

I'll get back to you in a couple of days and I'm sure more people will come along with suggestions. Look forward to seeing you when you get back here.:)

Thanks CB looking forward to seeing you hope you had a good New Year

chifleta
04-01-2015, 17:40
Well the weddings that i've been to over here are a bit varied, but the norm is the wedding ceremony is usually early evening, and the meal (falling down fainting hungry) is usually at a big restaurant at about 9 or 10pm LOL ... dress code has been varied, smart but most men didn't wear suits or ties, the girls tend to dress up more.... If I was you i'd ask them outright ....

My own wedding was probably the funniest ... some of the guests were dressed up in posh frocks and stilettos (which most of them changed into flip flops at the reception as it was outdoors in a finca restaurant with gravel floors LOL I didn't, I was one of the die hards, as i don't get to dress up in wedding dress often hehehe) ... the only person unfortunate to wear a tie (wasn't my hubby, as I let him go without wearing one) had it removed and cut into pieces (a tradition that brings luck to those who get a piece - by giving a donation to the bride and groom - on this tradition I let all the Brit side know that they didn't have to give much, being as they'd paid enough to get over here in the first place, so it was anything between 5 and 50 Euros ;) ... they do this instead of a gift... but again, if I was you, i'd ask them .... the men also dressed fairly casual .. mind you, my wedding was just a registry office ceremony in Arona (lovely) at midday, and an afternoon meal ... not the normal typical Tenerife wedding.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

I was just thinking, the last wedding I went to was my own, over a year ago, and before that, quite a few years back... maybe i'm totally wrong and nowadays it's maybe all "my big fat gypsy wedding" style !!! eeeeeeeeek que horror :crazy:???:cheeky::scared::eek:

amanda
04-01-2015, 18:25
Well the weddings that i've been to over here are a bit varied, but the norm is the wedding ceremony is usually early evening, and the meal (falling down fainting hungry) is usually at a big restaurant at about 9 or 10pm LOL ... dress code has been varied, smart but most men didn't wear suits or ties, the girls tend to dress up more.... If I was you i'd ask them outright ....

My own wedding was probably the funniest ... some of the guests were dressed up in posh frocks and stilettos (which most of them changed into flip flops at the reception as it was outdoors in a finca restaurant with gravel floors LOL I didn't, I was one of the die hards, as i don't get to dress up in wedding dress often hehehe) ... the only person unfortunate to wear a tie (wasn't my hubby, as I let him go without wearing one) had it removed and cut into pieces (a tradition that brings luck to those who get a piece - by giving a donation to the bride and groom - on this tradition I let all the Brit side know that they didn't have to give much, being as they'd paid enough to get over here in the first place, so it was anything between 5 and 50 Euros ;) ... they do this instead of a gift... but again, if I was you, i'd ask them .... the men also dressed fairly casual .. mind you, my wedding was just a registry office ceremony in Arona (lovely) at midday, and an afternoon meal ... not the normal typical Tenerife wedding.

I was just thinking, the last wedding I went to was my own, over a year ago, and before that, quite a few years back... maybe i'm totally wrong and nowadays it's maybe all "my big fat gypsy wedding" style !!! eeeeeeeeek que horror :crazy:???:cheeky::scared::eek:

They usually have a wedding list of what they would like as gifts

timmylish
04-01-2015, 23:01
Really very straightforward Catholic do in Spain. Dress is 'tidy'. Girls dress and Gents wear trousers, open necked shirts (absolutely no jeans but don,t be surprised to see them worn by a local 'bampot'. Shoes and no sneakers!
Now, as to whether you are invited to the meal you will receive an invite, if you have not already, by naming the Restaurant where the 'bash' is on at. Otherwise its the service alone. However even if you don,t think that you are invited to the bash often, at the chapel, the Bride,s Father will invite you as a first reserve (he,s already paid for a certain number of bums on seats!).
So what else do you need to know?

amanda
04-01-2015, 23:36
Enlighten me what's a local bampot interesting

Chine
05-01-2015, 01:03
Enlighten me what's a local bampot interesting

From my days working in Scotland I think it means a crazy person

Megaloo
05-01-2015, 15:32
I went to a Canarian wedding last June but this was not a Catholic Wedding but in a Baptist Church very dressy but I still found people very casual also so it does seem anything goes. Although at this Wedding more people were very smartly dressed than casual So as others have said maybe better to ask.

curriegirl
05-01-2015, 17:22
Thanks all, I think I will have to email them. The couple already have a child( not that it matters nowadays,) but I wondered if perhaps it would be a quieter wedding rather than big do in a catholic church. Maybe I will just ask them in my broken Spanish, where and when we should arrive, that might give me a hint, or them an option to say, "just the church etc."
As far as bampot is concerned. You are absolutely right. In Scotland we call crazy people Bampots. Have not heard it for a while though, so made me laugh. Thanks

canarybird
06-01-2015, 00:42
That's probably the best idea Curriegirl since you received no formal printed invitation by mail which would normally give the time and location of the reception dinner. Just ask where and when you should be. And if you dress smart casual you should be fine. If you're invited to a wedding then you should bring a gift....perhaps something typical from your home town that's not seen in Tenerife.

KirstyJay
06-01-2015, 01:21
If it's anything like the confirmations I've been to, the blokes wear an open shirt with trousers and a jacket and the women have on a nice dress with heels.

chifleta
11-01-2015, 17:24
LOL we had bampots at our wedding, me being the main one along with the majority of my close friends and relatives (British) and hubby along with various of his siblings i'd call bampots (Spanish) or "como cabras" as they say here hahahaha........

cainaries
13-02-2015, 15:20
I have been to two weddings here on La Palma and would say they were both extremely dressy. The first one was long frock dressy. The weddings themselves were at about 6 or 7 in the evening, then a lot of hanging about at the hotel or restaurant where the reception was. Food was finally served at around midnight. Great fun especially all the dressing up. OH went in his only suit - the only time he has worn it here. At the second wedding a basket was passed round and €50 notes were put in by most people and I assume that covered presents for the bride and groom (bit like pinning notes on the wedding dress in Greece). Dancing went on all night but we left at about 3 and slid away as we didn't want to make a big deal of leaving. There was a cake and champagne at about 2 in the morning so be prepared for a long night. Good fun though and as the 'foreigners' I think you will find they will all be very welcoming and delighted you are there.

Don't expect it to start on time! The second one was supposed to be at 6 - and that's when we got to the Church - only to sit twiddling our thumbs until the bride arrived at half-past 7!

Malteser Monkey
13-02-2015, 15:25
I have been to two weddings here on La Palma and would say they were both extremely dressy. The first one was long frock dressy. The weddings themselves were at about 6 or 7 in the evening, then a lot of hanging about at the hotel or restaurant where the reception was. Food was finally served at around midnight. Great fun especially all the dressing up. OH went in his only suit - the only time he has worn it here. At the second wedding a basket was passed round and €50 notes were put in by most people and I assume that covered presents for the bride and groom (bit like pinning notes on the wedding dress in Greece). Dancing went on all night but we left at about 3 and slid away as we didn't want to make a big deal of leaving. There was a cake and champagne at about 2 in the morning so be prepared for a long night. Good fun though and as the 'foreigners' I think you will find they will all be very welcoming and delighted you are there.

Don't expect it to start on time! The second one was supposed to be at 6 - and that's when we got to the Church - only to sit twiddling our thumbs until the bride arrived at half-past 7!

Ahhhh look what the cat draggend in

Afternoon Mrs - did we wake you ?:crazy:

cainaries
13-02-2015, 15:28
Ahhhh look what the cat draggend in

Afternoon Mrs - did we wake you ?:crazy: Can't be afternoon yet, I haven't had my lunch!

Malteser Monkey
13-02-2015, 15:30
Can't be afternoon yet, I haven't had my lunch!

It's nearly dinner time !

cainaries
13-02-2015, 18:58
Or you will have to wait hours while it is all video-recorded from one angle and then the same part of the ceremony is filmed from another angle. Just saying! If we had known all this beforehand we would have eaten lunch (or dinner if you are Malteser Monkey) before we went and also stood outside the Church waiting for the bride rather than sitting squashed in a pew for an hour and a half before it began and for another two hours once it got going.

kingbaker
14-02-2015, 12:55
LOL we had bampots at our wedding, me being the main one along with the majority of my close friends and relatives (British) and hubby along with various of his siblings i'd call bampots (Spanish) or "como cabras" as they say here hahahaha........

Yes I remember@chifleta ....not being invited!! I was gutted....didn't sleep for weeks.
Saved a fortune tho'....thanks Chiffy!!:raspberry::raspberry::raspberry::raspberr y::raspberry::bestwishes::bestwishes::bestwishes:

chifleta
14-02-2015, 15:44
Or you will have to wait hours while it is all video-recorded from one angle and then the same part of the ceremony is filmed from another angle. Just saying! If we had known all this beforehand we would have eaten lunch (or dinner if you are Malteser Monkey) before we went and also stood outside the Church waiting for the bride rather than sitting squashed in a pew for an hour and a half before it began and for another two hours once it got going.

That's why my in-laws and family love me so much, I didn't do typical Canarian, I told everyone to have a little snack before the wedding, at by 2.30pm we were sat down filling our faces with a lovely Canarian meal at Las Gangarras restaurant ;)

Yes I remember@chifleta ....not being invited!! I was gutted....didn't sleep for weeks.
Saved a fortune tho'....thanks Chiffy!!:raspberry::raspberry::raspberry::raspberr y::raspberry::bestwishes::bestwishes::bestwishes:

<<<<<< LOL ;)

kingbaker
14-02-2015, 20:05
That's why my in-laws and family love me so much, I didn't do typical Canarian, I told everyone to have a little snack before the wedding, at by 2.30pm we were sat down filling our faces with a lovely Canarian meal at Las Gangarras restaurant ;)

<<<<<< LOL ;)

I think you inherited my good looks chiffy.;);)

Megaloo
15-02-2015, 00:14
Hi Currie Girl have you been to the Wedding yet?