PDA

View Full Version : What are you opinions on whether Ched Evans should be allowed to play football again?

marbro8
09-01-2015, 09:19
i was just reading an article the bbc sport, they contacted all league 1 and 2 clubs to see what their stance was on signing ched evans the convicted rapist, there were some interesting replies, the longest one coming from the club i support, but still not very clear??? it looked more like the sort of thing a politician would say?, i was wondering what members would do if their club tried to sign him?, do you think like some, he has served his time and deserves to be left to carry on with his career?, or do you think he would be better off moving to some nether region never to be heard of again?

Jeff
09-01-2015, 09:44
England desperately needs plumbers. He should retrain...

His career is public facing and involves some semblance of setting an example. Right or wrong, it is all about public perception.

Seriously, if he had a commercial savvy, he could hire out as a motivational speaker by talking to players at all levels about what happens when you get it wrong. In that way, he could make a coin or two and perhaps improve his public image.

Whether he is guilty or not, he has been convicted and is pretty well ****ed now unless something dramatic happens.

marbro8
09-01-2015, 09:49
England desperately needs plumbers. He should retrain...

His career is public facing and involves some semblance of setting an example. Right or wrong, it is all about public perception.

Seriously, if he had a commercial savvy, he could hire out as a motivational speaker by talking to players at all levels about what happens when you get it wrong. In that way, he could make a coin or two and perhaps improve his public image.

Whether he is guilty or not, he has been convicted and is pretty well ****ed now unless something dramatic happens.well he can't even play abroad because of the terms of his bail, and he can't travel because he is on the sex offenders list:dontknow:, and as for training as a plumber would you go to work and leave him to work in your home if you had a wife and kids???

Ecky Thump
09-01-2015, 09:56
The only points that I can think of is that he hasn't yet "served his time", he was sentenced to five years, a lot of people are saying that it would be OK if he apologised for raping his victim, but he can't do that as he is making (I think) his second appeal of innocence. If a football fan is convicted of certain crimes ie. violence at a match, racism, they can be banned for life, yet he could play for a club and earn thousands of pounds a week.....people have to think hard before putting this "man" in a position where he will be idolised by thousands of people, including children......only my opinion.:)

Jeff
09-01-2015, 10:18
well he can't even play abroad because of the terms of his bail, and he can't travel because he is on the sex offenders list:dontknow:, and as for training as a plumber would you go to work and leave him to work in your home if you had a wife and kids???

We are a rugby lot.

My missus is a long time rugby wife and would kick his butt to little bits. My son played hooker for south west of England and now plays South-west One division. I would be more worried about cleaning up the mess if a sex offender had a go in my house.

The man needs some good advice. There are option open to him. He could help others from getting in the same mix by telling his tale and being an example of what happens when things go wrong. Many health and safety companies hire guys crippled on building sites to speak to workers and tell them not to ignore safety rules.

Perhaps he could tell the younger pups what happens when you think with parts other than your brain.

marbro8
09-01-2015, 10:21
The only points that I can think of is that he hasn't yet "served his time", he was sentenced to five years, a lot of people are saying that it would be OK if he apologised for raping his victim, but he can't do that as he is making (I think) his second appeal of innocence. If a football fan is convicted of certain crimes ie. violence at a match, racism, they can be banned for life, yet he could play for a club and earn thousands of pounds a week.....people have to think hard before putting this "man" in a position where he will be idolised by thousands of people, including children......only my opinion.:)yes you are right, i think he has protested his innocence since day one, saying that it was consensual sex, but she said she was to drunk to consent?, i did see the video of her going out of the hotel room to pick up a pizza and bring it back to the room and she looked a little unsteady on her feet but not falling down in a stupor:dontknow:, but the jury had all the facts and he was convicted so in the eyes of the law he was guilty, but if he is still protesting his innocence what have his defence team been doing while he has been in prison for over 2 years???

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

We are a rugby lot.

My missus is a long time rugby wife and would kick his butt to little bits. My son played hooker for south west of England and now plays South-west One division. I would be more worried about cleaning up the mess if a sex offender had a go in my house.

The man needs some good advice. There are option open to him. He could help others from getting in the same mix by telling his tale and being an example of what happens when things go wrong. Many health and safety companies hire guys crippled on building sites to speak to workers and tell them not to ignore safety rules.

Perhaps he could tell the younger pups what happens when you think with parts other than your brain.i think you could be right there jeff, it looks like his only option at the moment, but with him still protesting his innocence i think the only thing he would be saying to other young players is "be careful not to sleep around with drunk women in case they accuse you of rape":dontknow:, and just in case you ever need a gas engineer don't call me:lol:

Jeff
09-01-2015, 10:42
How ever he words it, he could do some good and be seen to be trying to do some good from all this mess. I think the clubs, the PFA and the FA would be idiots not to support the idea of him as a motivational speaker on the dangers of getting things wrong. Same same with racists, gamblers, druggies and drunks.

But pro sports is riddled with idiots at all levels, especially management, so it will probably never happen. He'll end up playing in one of the Gulf states where there is no such thing as rape.

Ecky Thump
09-01-2015, 10:46
How ever he words it, he could do some good and be seen to be trying to do some good from all this mess. I think the clubs, the PFA and the FA would be idiots not to support the idea of him as a motivational speaker on the dangers of getting things wrong. Same same with racists, gamblers, druggies and drunks.

But pro sports is riddled with idiots at all levels, especially management, so it will probably never happen. He'll end up playing in one of the Gulf states where there is no such thing as rape.

I think your right, but he won't be able to hold a UK a passport for another 2-3 years....unless his conviction is quashed.

Leam_Lin
09-01-2015, 10:57
The drunken woman 'I'm going to hotel bedroom with a professional footballer to have a cup of tea, then he's going to tuck me up in bed' LOL

Ecky Thump
09-01-2015, 11:46
The drunken woman 'I'm going to hotel bedroom with a professional footballer to have a cup of tea, then he's going to tuck me up in bed' LOL

It really doesen't excuse his crime if she was naive, drunk, a flirt or whatever, in the eyes of the law she was raped and he was found guilty and sentenced for the crime.

I wonder if he was Joe Bloggs, a local man who is not in the public eye, what support he would get...I know if that was the case and he walked into any pub that I know of, another punishment rightly or wrongly would be handed out to him.

Jeff
09-01-2015, 13:02
None of us were there. None of us saw what was presented to the jury.

The only person who has my respect in all of this (along with a bit of dismay) is Evan's wife.

admin
09-01-2015, 13:31
i was just reading an article the bbc sport, they contacted all league 1 and 2 clubs to see what their stance was on signing ched evans the convicted rapist, there were some interesting replies, the longest one coming from the club i support, but still not very clear??? it looked more like the sort of thing a politician would say?, i was wondering what members would do if their club tried to sign him?, do you think like some, he has served his time and deserves to be left to carry on with his career?, or do you think he would be better off moving to some nether region never to be heard of again?

I have moved your thread to a more relevant part of the forum, as it is not about Tenerife, but was posted in the Tenerife General Chat section.

martincrabb99
09-01-2015, 13:31
The Facts are that a female victim alleged that she had been raped which the Police duly investigated presenting the investigation report to the Crown Prosecution Service. They assessed the evidence and considered that a realistic prospect of conviction was present based on the evidence available and presented to them. The defendant is subsequently convicted based on that evidence.
After serving his term of imprisonment the prisoner is released presumably on licence with certain conditions....this is not bail.
The public protection team in the Police area where he resides would conduct a risk assessment as he is now a registered sex offender. I would presume that having conducted this risk assessment it was considered that the playing of professional football did not pose a risk in this particular case.
Public opinion is against this individual being taken on by a club because of the circumstances of the case and media focus. Another main factor is the example which should be shown to public by sporting figures.
In my view it is far easier to manage the risk posed by an offender if you know where they are and what they are involved with in their daily life. If that is professional football at Oldham Athletic or elsewhere....then so be it!
This is a professional view based upon my experience of managing the risk posed by sex offenders and the most dangerous persons released and requiring management in the community. You may not agree with this view but it is factual.

Ecky Thump
09-01-2015, 14:08
You may not agree with this view but it is factual.

As you say Martin, a factual view within the laws of the UK, but not one that thousands of decent people appear to agree with, including myself that a convicted rapist should be put in a position where he can be idolised by thousands of people, also if his conditions of release allow him to return to the same lifestyle in his daily working life, how can the risk of a repeat of his behaviour be easily managed???

martincrabb99
09-01-2015, 14:59
As you say Martin, a factual view within the laws of the UK, but not one that thousands of decent people appear to agree with, including myself that a convicted rapist should be put in a position where he can be idolised by thousands of people, also if his conditions of release allow him to return to the same lifestyle in his daily working life, how can the risk of a repeat of his behaviour be easily managed???

Thanks Ecky a good point but the risk is managed more proficiently with knowledge and hard intelligence which can be responded to immediately. I am talking about management of the risk posed by a registered sex offender and the assessment of hard and soft intelligence. As a previous chair of Multi agency public protection panels we act on intelligence and not perceptions.
As to the punishment by vigilantes of sex offenders this cannot be condoned and has previously resulted in serious criminal assaults and the murder of offenders who have served their sentence. As I say not a popular view but I stand by my assessment of the situation.

Ecky Thump
09-01-2015, 15:12
Thanks Ecky a good point but the risk is managed more proficiently with knowledge and hard intelligence which can be responded to immediately. I am talking about management of the risk posed by a registered sex offender and the assessment of hard and soft intelligence. As a previous chair of Multi agency public protection panels we act on intelligence and not perceptions.
As to the punishment by vigilantes of sex offenders this cannot be condoned and has previously resulted in serious cr
iminal assaults and the murder of offenders who have served their sentence. As I say not a popular view but I stand by my assessment of the situation.

Surely the assessment would be that Evans as a professional footballer would be put in a identical position where he has access to vulnerable women in hotels, I just can't see the logic in him and potential victims being put in that position...
If he had been a nurse in a hospital and committed a crime against a vulnerable person, would he have gone back to his old profession with the same temptations and opportunities to commit a identical crime?
Would it not be better under his terms of release for him to be given the opportunity to train for a different occupation that doesn't hold the same high risks?
I would never condone any vigilante revenge/punishment, but I am very aware that it happens on a regular basis.

martincrabb99
09-01-2015, 15:43
Surely the assessment would be that Evans as a professional footballer would be put in a identical position where he has access to vulnerable women in hotels, I just can't see the logic in him and potential victims being put in that position...
If he had been a nurse in a hospital and committed a crime against a vulnerable person, would he have gone back to his old profession with the same temptations and opportunities to commit a identical crime?
Would it not be better under his terms of release for him to be given the opportunity to train for a different occupation that doesn't hold the same high risks?
I would never condone any vigilante revenge/punishment, but I am very aware that it happens on a regular basis.

Yes there is some merit to that argument but it would be most difficult in view of the media attention applied to this particular matter. It is difficult case but I can assure you that the management of all the risks are taken into account in every case...of which there are literally thousands.

Ecky Thump
09-01-2015, 15:43
None of us were there. None of us saw what was presented to the jury.

The only person who has my respect in all of this (along with a bit of dismay) is Evan's wife.

Is he married or is Natasha Massey still his girlfriend whose father is a personel friend of Oldham Football Club's owner?

TOTO 99
09-01-2015, 16:10
Is he married or is Natasha Massey still his girlfriend whose father is a personel friend of Oldham Football Club's owner?

Unbelievably, her dad is heavily supportive of Ched Evans.

He appears to have no problem with the fact that rape or no rape, the footballer cheated on his daughter in a big way.

If he wasn't locked up himself, I think Max Clifford would be slap bang at the front of this story.

Ecky Thump
09-01-2015, 16:33
Unbelievably, her dad is heavily supportive of Ched Evans.

He appears to have no problem with the fact that rape or no rape, the footballer cheated on his daughter in a big way.

If he wasn't locked up himself, I think Max Clifford would be slap bang at the front of this story.

Money certainly talks and in this case....Very loud in support of Evans and the financial rewards for Oldham Football Club!!

trevorife2
09-01-2015, 20:46
Lee hughes drink drove and killed a man and luke mckormack drink drove and killed 2 little boys ... Both out of prison and straight back into football ! Im not saying he deserves a chance but .

marbro8
09-01-2015, 21:27
Lee hughes drink drove and killed a man and luke mckormack drink drove and killed 2 little boys ... Both out of prison and straight back into football ! Im not saying he deserves a chance but .very good point mate, my wife said the same last night, i remember going to a few games against clubs that signed hughes and the vitriol displayed by our fans was very heated, in fact i remember one of our fans jumping over the wall at him after he just started gesturing at us at port vale, he crapped himself and ran to the dugout just as the stewards grabbed the walsall fan, he was actually let go outside the ground because the stewards said they hated hughes as well:lol:

warbey
09-01-2015, 21:37
A Supporter of Oldham F.C. has said that the 50 thou who signed the Petition should attend some of the Matches.

Fair point to Me.

This case smacks to Me of a Witch Hunt. People are supposed to serve Time then be given another chance.

Not His fault to be let out before the full sentence is served. like Us all He has to live.

I too am NOT making excuses, but others have been convicted then Reinstated..

My own opinion is that The Leader of say the North Staffs Health trust, when Thousands were affected, and Their Cronies

dipping into the Pot, should also be treated similarly . They presided over Fatalities and Society let Them crawl away.

trevorife2
09-01-2015, 21:52
Its not as if hes going to be earning huge sums and playing at a huge club , all he would be doing is earning a living ?? Most peodophiles rapists and other convicted criminals are allowed to the same arent they??

marbro8
09-01-2015, 21:56
A Supporter of Oldham F.C. has said that the 50 thou who signed the Petition should attend some of the Matches.

Fair point to Me.

This case smacks to Me of a Witch Hunt. People are supposed to serve Time then be given another chance.

Not His fault to be let out before the full sentence is served. like Us all He has to live.

I too am NOT making excuses, but others have been convicted then Reinstated..

My own opinion is that The Leader of say the North Staffs Health trust, when Thousands were affected, and Their Cronies

dipping into the Pot, should also be treated similarly . They presided over Fatalities and Society let Them crawl away.fair point warbey,ched has been forced to issue an apology, not for the rape, but for all the hurt his actions have caused to people, and the girl concerned, my thinking is that someone has wrote it for him. he is still trying to clear his name, this has just got out of hand and i must admit i myself signed an online petition, and i just wish there had been an option for signing it against hughes at the time:(

Ecky Thump
09-01-2015, 22:09
Its not as if hes going to be earning huge sums and playing at a huge club , all he would be doing is earning a living ?? Most peodophiles rapists and other convicted criminals are allowed to the same arent they??

He didn't do to badly when he was in Prison, he was said to have been paid approximately £20,000 pounds a week for the first three months of his incarceration.....if the figures are true, it's not too bad a reward for a convicted rapist.:angry:

Then of course if he never plays again, he can sell his story to the news papers.

marbro8
10-01-2015, 14:57
steve bruce has come out in support of ched evans, will be interesting to see how that will be received:dontknow:

Angusjim
10-01-2015, 15:00
But hes no playing fitba hes playing for Oldham:doh:

Ecky Thump
10-01-2015, 15:45
steve bruce has come out in support of ched evans, will be interesting to see how that will be received:dontknow:

I wonder how many influential people have publicly supported the rape victim or her family?:spin:

golf birdie
10-01-2015, 21:01
I wonder how many clubs would turn their back on one of the worlds great players if this applied to them?

Having looked at the case details of Evans I am amazed how he was ever found guilty. If you have not read the details you should have a look.

warbey
10-01-2015, 21:25
I wonder how many clubs would turn their back on one of the worlds great players if this applied to them?

Having looked at the case details of Evans I am amazed how he was ever found guilty. If you have not read the details you should have a look.

Certainly a very expensive Legover.

I wouldn't be surprised if Both Parties are sickto Death of the Furore.

As a Male I always hoped never to be accused of Rape.

a lot of the time it seems You are automatically Guilty until proven innocent.

so I won't Judge except to say "There but for the Grace of God, go I.

marbro8
10-01-2015, 22:00

Having looked at the case details of Evans I am amazed how he was ever found guilty. If you have not read the details you should have a look.i haven't read it but i am beginning to regret signing the petition before finding out all of the facts:(, although in my defence it looked to all the world that he was guilty, i think it is going to appeal so we will just have to wait and see? maybe some people will be eating humble pie, or will be justified:dontknow: ps GB how can we take a look at the details?

Ecky Thump
10-01-2015, 22:08
i haven't read it but i am beginning to regret signing the petition before finding out all of the facts:(, although in my defence it looked to all the world that he was guilty, i think it is going to appeal so we will just have to wait and see? maybe some people will be eating humble pie, or will be justified:dontknow:

I've read most of it and in my mind happy (wrong word) with the outcome of the trial, maybe if I was in the courtroom as the trial proceeded I might have interpreted the evidence as seen and heard differently, but as the law stands today Evans is a convicted rapist and the young girl is a rape victim. What I would hate to see is other girls/women being afraid to go to the police to report a case of rape, we need them to have faith in our countries judicial system.

Jeff
10-01-2015, 22:49
I'm not going to second guess a Crown Court decision. If he got scwewed over then he can write a book... Meanwhile the FA once again shows how out of touch they are with society by not having a coherent policy on anyone on the sex offenders list being considered for a position in the public eye.

Meanwhile, he has a nice range rover, maybe he could deliver curries in Rotherham....