PDA

View Full Version : Cars & Transport Has the service at Goldcar improved recently?

barryk
09-01-2015, 14:38
Hi,

Just looking at the prices for Goldcar again and their prices seem reasonable. However having some bad experiences of these in the past I am just equiring if thing shave changed.

I note that you still have to pay for a full tank of fuel but they now give a refund for unused fuel. I believe that the refund excludes the service charge which for the group I am looking at is approx 30 euro.

Therefore in real tems the actual cost for a 50euro quote for car hire would be 80 euro (carhire and fuel service charge)

Just enquiring if anyone has had recent experience of these again as some of the autoreisen cars I have hire recently have considerally more "tired" than usual

Have they changed their ways or just moved the goal posts around

Barryk

tfs1
09-01-2015, 15:33
Dont forget the insurance premiums they will sell you.

If you are strong, dig your heels in, shout louder than the Goldcar person and are brave enough to refuse the insurance they will take €800 deposit from you credit card.

As you know this is just in case you get a small supermarket scratch/ trolley dent on the paintwork, or a windscreen chip while out and about or if they see something when returning the car that you havent noticed/reported when you picked it up.

They will be happy to take their time and look at the car in great detail to find problems to relieve you of some of your deposit and there is nothing you can do about it as that is what you have signed up for.

Goldcar have good, clean, new reliable cars but with low rental costs and now losing money on petrol refunds they have to make their money somehow.

Yes they do give petrol refunds but I'm not sure if the refund also includes a refund of the IGIC/IVA that you will have paid on top of the actual cost of the fuel when hiring the car.

We still use Autoreisen and have also had some old bangers in the past but they have been ok for the 2 of us.

We hired a car on the mainland from Solmar and while changing gear the gearstick came away in my hand - now that was fun !

blondie
09-01-2015, 16:00
Hi,

Just looking at the prices for Goldcar again and their prices seem reasonable. However having some bad experiences of these in the past I am just equiring if thing shave changed.

I note that you still have to pay for a full tank of fuel but they now give a refund for unused fuel. I believe that the refund excludes the service charge which for the group I am looking at is approx 30 euro.

Therefore in real tems the actual cost for a 50euro quote for car hire would be 80 euro (carhire and fuel service charge)

Just enquiring if anyone has had recent experience of these again as some of the autoreisen cars I have hire recently have considerally more "tired" than usual

Have they changed their ways or just moved the goal posts around

Barryk

Have a look at the Tenerife visitors Face book page for today they have certainly not mended their ways according to a guy who put a similar post on this am.

barryk
09-01-2015, 16:38
Thanks, that's good enough for me. I will stick with Autoraisen, shame a lot of there cars are in poor condition, still as long as they go and stop when required.

mariben
09-01-2015, 16:50
We would not use goldcar ever again, the rental of the car may sound great but once they start adding on all the little extras its not worth it, as for the fuel refund, You pay well over the odds for the cost of the petrol in the first place You can fill the tank in any garage for a lot less money, and the extra insurance they push onto You by telling You a deposit of 800€ will go onto your credit card and takes about 1 month to return if You don't take the insurance is not a good move on there part, the car does not get checked over and signed off when You return it so they can say anything once You are back home and take it off the deposit and You can do nothing about it. I would stick with the one You use, the car may not be New but at least You don't get ripped off.

tfs1
09-01-2015, 16:51
or can have a look at www.eviewcentre.com for peoples feedback and Goldcars replies.

I had issues after hiring a car for my son regarding an extra small fee that was not explained to me at the hire deskdesk, paying in GBP when I asked for it to be done in Euros.

At Reus you electronically sign the contract for the car before getting the actual physical bit of paper to read.

When you get the contract and other bits of paper they have already placed it in a nice envelope, folded up for you, they then hand you the keys and then give you directions to the carpark and you are off asap as the person behind you is trying to get their car asap !

I did write on the reviewcentre and they said 'sorry' and would talk to the staff at Reus airport, they couldnt explain the extra fee and payin GBP rather than taking it in €'s as i requested. They offered 10% discount code off next hire which of course we would never use. Never again.