PDA

View Full Version : Husband & wife team looking to relocate to Tenerife

LandL_2009
09-01-2015, 14:44
We're a married professional couple looking to sell our photography business in the UK and relocate to a more agreeable climate.
We are both experienced commercial, event and portrait/lifestyle photographers.
We currently do all our own design, web and marketing ourselves.
Mr: Previous 20yrs experience swimming teaching and pool management.
Mrs: also currently working in the hotel industry - reception and marketing. 5yrs swimming teaching experience.
We'd either like to stay in the photography industry or try something completely different, either as a team or separately.
Anyone got any ideas or suggestions??

languagefan
09-01-2015, 18:23
Hi and welcome to the forum :)
Without wanting to sound negative:
The situation is incredibly difficult in Tenerife and other Spanish Islands, and waves of reverse migration has started since a good few years now. And that is not the whole story, among those going back are highly educated, experienced, talented, multilingual sharks who couldnt survive even with max austerity.
Come prepared, practise max austerity, and have a clear plan a, b, c, d and e before you come. Come for a trial period of research, and organise a "pilot" mini-experience before coming over to live (preferably one of you who is more austere, open, social, and realistic in vision)
Warning: coming unprepared will only lead to hell in "paradise", and after cosying up in Tenerife climate, reverse migration will be a very taxing and nostalgic experience. A friend of mine and his family (5) came over lured by the paradise dream, lost all what they had (an upper middle class life style + big savings) and are moving back to live in a small flat back home with his parents. To make their ends meet and go back they may need to rely on food rations from NGOs in the meantime to support themselves. It doesnt happen to the other person always, it is happening to me and you, and everyday. Its heartbreaking to see them and their kids going through this.
Positives: If you own your own property, and have no debts, and know how to live frugally, earn a modest income, life is cheap here, buying a cheap modest property for a bargain price is still possible from repossessed properties of the banks, weather is good all year round, and its a wonderful place.
It is not impossible. But you need to be very very proactive.....
And good luck :)

Tom & Sharon
09-01-2015, 20:57
Hi and welcome to the forum :)
Without wanting to sound negative:
The situation is incredibly difficult in Tenerife and other Spanish Islands, and waves of reverse migration has started since a good few years now. And that is not the whole story, among those going back are highly educated, experienced, talented, multilingual sharks who couldnt survive even with max austerity.
Come prepared, practise max austerity, and have a clear plan a, b, c, d and e before you come. Come for a trial period of research, and organise a "pilot" mini-experience before coming over to live (preferably one of you who is more austere, open, social, and realistic in vision)
Warning: coming unprepared will only lead to hell in "paradise", and after cosying up in Tenerife climate, reverse migration will be a very taxing and nostalgic experience. A friend of mine and his family (5) came over lured by the paradise dream, lost all what they had (an upper middle class life style + big savings) and are moving back to live in a small flat back home with his parents. To make their ends meet and go back they may need to rely on food rations from NGOs in the meantime to support themselves. It doesnt happen to the other person always, it is happening to me and you, and everyday. Its heartbreaking to see them and their kids going through this.
Positives: If you own your own property, and have no debts, and know how to live frugally, earn a modest income, life is cheap here, buying a cheap modest property for a bargain price is still possible from repossessed properties of the banks, weather is good all year round, and its a wonderful place.
It is not impossible. But you need to be very very proactive.....
And good luck :)

I wish your friend would come on here, and tell everyone his story of how he lost his lovely middle class life in England. Probably his house, his job, his car and his bank balance, chasing rainbows. How he's got to drag his wife and kids back to the UK, having lost everything and start all over again. It might put a few off, or stop the "you'll be OK if you learn a bit of Spanish before you come" comments!

I kid you not, there was somebody on one of the Tenerife FB pages this week, who was jacking everything in to come to live in Tenerife. No job, nowhere to live, and get this - he's never been outside of the UK before. And still people were saying "yep, just learn a bit of Spanish". Seriously, give me strength!

LUCKY
09-01-2015, 21:32
There again there is the saying 'Nothing ventured nothing gained'
And 'Better safe than sorry' :flatcap:

doreen
09-01-2015, 21:46
On photography, I have to say I know of at least 6 talented photographers in the South, two of whom I have given work to, and have seen many more advertising via Facebook .... I guess it must be the light that attracts them, certainly not the rates of pay per job :)

bonitatime
11-01-2015, 09:36
There are a Doreen says lots of people doing photography and quite cheaply
Your wife will not get a hotel job unless she speaks fluent Spanish. Swimming teachers are mostly employed by the councils and not only do you need to speak Spanish but you need to be local or very very lucky
Incomes here are low and as language fan states lots have gone home or moved on in the last few years

KirstyJay
11-01-2015, 11:18
The only way I can see for you to make a living with the skills you mention is to become self-employed, but that in itself is a risk because of the initial set up costs. You will have to pay your autonomo every month which can be from 254€ upwards per person depending on your age (younger is cheaper). Maybe you could get away with only registering one of you as working autonomo, but in order to get your cert. de residencia, you'd have to come with enough cash to support yourself.

While building the business up you'd have to pay quarterly Gestor costs for your self-employed tax returns, and then if you need premises too you'd then have the cost of renting a local and the taxes involved with that. You'd have to give more info on what you would plan to do though before anyone could be more specific about these costs.

Hepa
11-01-2015, 18:09
The Canary archipelago is a fantastic place to live, if you have an income and health care, if not life becomes somewhat difficult.

Do what we first did, long winter breaks until retirement arrived and the pension kicked in. Whilst taking those long winter breaks, have a look around, you might get lucky and find a business opportunity.

bonitatime
11-01-2015, 21:30
I have given up paying a gestor For tax purposes I make Hacienda do ir For me. We are in módulos which makes it easier but i am Told is it also Possible if you do simplified accounts

Tony the Welder
12-01-2015, 00:08
I have given up paying a gestor For tax purposes I make Hacienda do ir For me. We are in módulos which makes it easier but i am Told is it also Possible if you do simplified accounts
wow modular system so out dated used it my self for a lot of years when igc was applied went on to pay as you earn
wish the couple all the best try been self employed taking photos around the bars turning them in to key ring ect not a new idea but it does pay good wish you all the best t

ribuck
12-01-2015, 13:02
Your wife will not get a hotel job unless she speaks fluent Spanish.
There is one exception. If she speaks fluent German and is willing to work in the parts of Puerto de la Cruz that are popular with Germans, she can get a hotel job without fluent Spanish.