PDA

View Full Version : Other Do you have the heating on in Tenerife?

Jabba43
10-01-2015, 21:58
Saw a few people moaning about the current weather, as per normal for this time of year. We are coming on Monday so will soon find out but has anyone got their portable heaters out yet?

LUCKY
10-01-2015, 22:35
We when i say we i mean me . have not turned any heating on here at Lower GDS , But in the evening it does become cool , even say cold so a few extra layers of clothing are advised. I did a survey with inhabitants of Lower GDS and some residents of Middle to Higher GDS. Last year 2014 , the results of the said survey are available somewhere on this great forum. The winter of 2013 did not begin till January 2014. but this year or was it last year The winter began early here early at GDS it seemed to start at the beginning of December with a little respite for 6 days over the Christmas period , so we are now 5 to 6 weeks into our winter Period .
It is dam cold . :flatcap:

Angusjim
10-01-2015, 22:38
Saw a few people moaning about the current weather, as per normal for this time of year. We are coming on Monday so will soon find out but has anyone got their portable heaters out yet?

No its no as per normal its BALTIC:shiver

canarybird
10-01-2015, 22:38
I think anyone who has a heater has been definitely using it and anyone who doesn't has been out buying one . It's cold at night here. Too cold to sit in an unheated room. Bring warm socks and jackets too. Days are warm but nights are definitely not.

Jabba43
10-01-2015, 23:02
Our house is 150m above sea level so going to be 1 to 2 degrees colder. Will be down to Las Chafiras then to get a heater then :)

imablue
10-01-2015, 23:09
Whimps... good lord its minus 3º-4º in england as an average and theres me here in Tijoco Bajo saying 12º is cold.. i ve got my t-shirt on .....

obs
10-01-2015, 23:13
My aircon includes an inverter, provides warm air, is on now, and I won't be switching it off any time soon, it's damn cold up here ... :cold:

marbro8
11-01-2015, 00:25
am i reading this wrong? tenerife is off the west coast of africa, and holidaymakers flock there in their droves from the uk in our winter months for some warmth and sun, and you have to put the heating on???

Ecky Thump
11-01-2015, 00:33
am i reading this wrong? tenerife is off the west coast of africa, and holidaymakers flock there in their droves from the uk in our winter months for some warmth and sun, and you have to put the heating on???

The African deserts can be covered by a sheet of ice at night.....but they are still wimps!:laugh:

KirstyJay
11-01-2015, 01:08
I've not got heating in my house, so no, I haven't had it on... an extra jumper suffices... but we do put the electric blanket on before we go to bed because getting into a warm bed is heaven! :)

princessmonika
11-01-2015, 09:19
i have my heating on for the last few weeks in the evening-- it is dam cold this year it last longer than i can remember -- so you should all reapply for winter fuel -- i dont get it because the irish gov. dont give :shiver:cold::rain::snowflake:

Darico
12-01-2015, 10:30
living up the mountain we use the log burner every night but, all in all, the winter has been warm during the day and very little rain this year..............so far!

KirstyJay
12-01-2015, 12:45
living up the mountain we use the log burner every night but, all in all, the winter has been warm during the day and very little rain this year..............so far!Whereabouts are you?

tfs1
12-01-2015, 13:06
Part of the reason is 'its what you get used to'.

When we are in Spain in November or February I normally wear shorts / Tshirt during the day when its sunny etc - all the locals are in winter coats, scarfs, gloves, woolly hats.

However, we do have the log burner on to keep the place warm for those cool evenings.

UKj
12-01-2015, 15:26
We found our apartment very cold recently and went to buy a thermometer and humidity detector to check both. You can pick one up in Leroy Merlin for about 10€. I found that the apartment was actually 21 degrees C but that humidity was in excess of 70%, making it feel very cool. So we purchased a cheap dehumidifier (89€), again from Leroy Merlin and a small electric heater (15€). We ran the dehumidifier for a day and got the humidity under 60% and now it's warm again. We haven't even unboxed the heater. Anyone who is really cold and not too high up the mountain should check their humidity before heating the space. The dehumidifier is about 10% of the power consumption of a 2KW heater. Hope this helps someone.

KirstyJay
12-01-2015, 15:53
We found our apartment very cold recently and went to buy a thermometer and humidity detector to check both. You can pick one up in Leroy Merlin for about 10€. I found that the apartment was actually 21 degrees C but that humidity was in excess of 70%, making it feel very cool. So we purchased a cheap dehumidifier (89€), again from Leroy Merlin and a small electric heater (15€). We ran the dehumidifier for a day and got the humidity under 60% and now it's warm again. We haven't even unboxed the heater. Anyone who is really cold and not too high up the mountain should check their humidity before heating the space. The dehumidifier is about 10% of the power consumption of a 2KW heater. Hope this helps someone.Thanks. I may look into that. :)

essexeddie
12-01-2015, 18:21
The only heater I have ever needed during the 30 winter years I have spent here is a pair of socks.

chifleta
13-01-2015, 11:42
Yup, it "feels" cold, but can I just point out, we are ALL getting a wee bit older, maybe that has something to do with it ;) .... basically put socks (yes yes, I know it's not a good look with thongy flip flops on) and a jumper on and stop moaning you bunch of old farts LOL

Malteser Monkey
13-01-2015, 11:53
Thongy flip flops - kinky:D

LUCKY
13-01-2015, 12:02

So my Speedos are yesterdays fashion then !!! :flatcap:

Darico
13-01-2015, 13:22
Whereabouts are you?

up in Arico.

canarybird
13-01-2015, 13:35

Depends what temperatures you are used to where you live most of the time.

We have all seen how we permanent residents bundle up over the winter compared to the visitors from colder climates who, with the same temperature, walk around in shorts and sandals.

You do become acclimatized to warmer weather year round so that a little cold feels like a lot of cold.

Another factor is the building where you live. If you are in an apartment insulated on three sides, above and below by other apartments which shield you from cold exterior walls, then you won't feel the need for so much heating.

But if you live in a cottage or detached bungalow with large single non insulated glass windows and your walls are exterior walls on all sides then of course they will absorb the night temperatures and you will need to heat. Altitude is also a factor. It's definitely warmer down near sea level on this island, colder the further you go up in the hills.

chifleta
13-01-2015, 15:47

The geisha look is the new purple lol or is that black

Malteser Monkey
13-01-2015, 16:05
The geisha look is the new purple lol or is that black

do you have to cut through the socks:D

kingbaker
13-01-2015, 16:16
Yup, it "feels" cold, but can I just point out, we are ALL getting a wee bit older, maybe that has something to do with it ;) .... basically put socks (yes yes, I know it's not a good look with thongy flip flops on) and a jumper on and stop moaning you bunch of old farts LOL

I must ajolopise for my daughter:p:p:p

chifleta
13-01-2015, 18:04
do you have to cut through the socks:D

that would defeat the object of keeping my tootsies warm whilst still wearing my flip flops ;)

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

I must ajolopise for my daughter:p:p:p

ajolopise? maybe I should send that dictionary back that you bought me LMAO :raspberry2:

Jabba43
13-01-2015, 20:29
Arrived on Monday and it is fine you bunch of old whingers :) as 24 at the airport, 22 by chafiras and 20 at home.

Tom & Sharon
13-01-2015, 22:01
We're in our UK house right now, and we haven't got the heating on. It's 2 deg outside, and it's lovely and cosy in our lounge right now. t's not been on at all today, and most days we might only have it on for an hour.

It's a modern house, and they are well insulated and fuel efficient. The houses in Tenerife are not built this way, so the slightest bit of cold and you're freezing!

Hepa
21-01-2015, 17:15
No heating here in Valverde El Hierro, our house is very old with thick volcanic rock walls. We have some electric oil radiators, which we brought from England, but haven't needed to use them in years. Our main central heating system now is called, Pullover :lol:

KirstyJay
22-01-2015, 00:54
No heating here in Valverde El Hierro, our house is very old with thick volcanic rock walls. We have some electric oil radiators, which we brought from England, but haven't needed to use them in years. Our main central heating system now is called, Pullover :lol:

Same here. I have the electric blanket on right now though... But we are 700+ metres above sea level... How high is Valverde out of interest? What's the highest point on El Hierro and how are the eruptions these days?

Hepa
22-01-2015, 12:59
Same here. I have the electric blanket on right now though... But we are 700+ metres above sea level... How high is Valverde out of interest? What's the highest point on El Hierro and how are the eruptions these days?

Valverde is between 650 and 750, metres depending what area you live, El Hierro is 1502 metres a place called Malpaso, almost a mile high. Shhhhhhh the blooming volcanoes are sleeping, and the earth tremors have subsided.

KirstyJay
22-01-2015, 13:15
El Hierro is 1502 metres a place called Malpaso, almost a mile high.So you can't join the mile high club there then? ;) :D

candy2411
22-01-2015, 13:19
I was in Tenerife for couple of weeks till last Friday, days were lovely and warm 22 or 23 degrees but nights cooler especially as a cool wind blowing , but no need for any heating at sea level. I suppose it's what you get used to, here in UK heating's never off keep it at low thermostat all the time so house never gets cold. Was amazed to see local Canarians wearing layers of jumpers, fleeces and thick boots when I was in shorts and t shirt !