PDA

View Full Version : If a pensioner becomes fiscal in Spain do they get Spanish healthcare?

princessmonika
12-01-2015, 07:48
if you are a british pensioner --and you want to become fiscal in spain --do you loose your NHS medical ,but will you get automatic on the spanish health system

13-01-2015, 00:42
The simple answer to your question is that you cannot be on 2 countries' national health system at once. Either you are a resident of one country or another. I moved to Tenerife in 2003 and gave up my right to treatment on the Britis NHS and, at the same time, was enrolled onto the Canarian NHS, where , I have to say, treatment has been exemplary. I was a British pensioner in 2003 by the way.

princessmonika
13-01-2015, 09:39
yes but does that apply to a pensioner - who never paid into the spanish coffers-- so if a pensioner now giving up the NHS service will now get the spanish free, after becoming fiscal?????

bulldog
13-01-2015, 11:21
yes but does that apply to a pensioner - who never paid into the spanish coffers-- so if a pensioner now giving up the NHS service will now get the spanish free, after becoming fiscal?????

yes you apply to Newcastle they will issue you with an S cert. you take this to Granadilla with all your papers passport nie,padron cert.
you will take this to a local doctor they will allocate to you this office will give a print off of a med.card get this plasticized and one day if
you live long enough a real one will come by post you are now in the system apply back to Newcastle for a European health card to use
in the U.K. or use a gestor if it sounds to much

jeste747
13-01-2015, 11:29
We give up the NHS service when we moved to Spain as pensioners, we had to get the paperwork sorted out from DWP in UK and then again here in Tenerife. But we do get a fantastic service here, we pay 10 percent towards our prescriptions (I believe this is variable depending on income) All the services like Doctors and the State hospital in the north are all free to pensioners once your paperworks done.

primrose
13-01-2015, 12:18
yes you apply to Newcastle they will issue you with an S cert. you take this to Granadilla with all your papers passport nie,padron cert.
you will take this to a local doctor they will allocate to you this office will give a print off of a med.card get this plasticized and one day if
you live long enough a real one will come by post you are now in the system apply back to Newcastle for a European health card to use

Well thank goodness we lived long enough to get the real one as it only took four weeks.

cainaries
13-01-2015, 16:08
Thanks for this answer as you have answered a question I was about to ask about how to get treatment in the UK if needed on holiday. (We are OAPs now registered in the Spanish Health System)

bulldog
13-01-2015, 16:53
you were lucky I,ve been waiting 6 years and was told it will come one day!! I,ve never had a problem yet with the paper one
another little tip I found out if a wife gets her pension at 60 yrs. if her husband is under 65 yrs. he can apply for a S1 as a dependant of his wife with no problem
and get his European health card as well under the duel health agreement.